Alcohol ID

Spectro

Original Poster
we are from the UK and I've heard all establishments now ask for ID now if purchasing alcohol. Driving licenses are ok to carry about but I'm not happy about carrying a passport around in case we lose them. Would a photo of passport details stored on our phones be be ok for ID and does each person need to show ID to be served alcohol or can 1 person order for a group ? I Am thinking about for food and wine festival and wine or cocktail with dinner.
Thanks.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm not sure about the exact rules for visitors from your side of the pond but can say for certain every member of the group must present proper ID if asked. One person of the group can't vouch for another.

Spectro

Original Poster
So you couldn't go through food and wine kiosk and order for your group e.g. 3 people ? Would each person have to wait in line individually ?

Spectro

Original Poster
Not a case of giving to under 21s my daughter and husband are over 21 I'm just thinking of what we need to carry around the park document wise. Thanks for the reply though.

nickys

Premium Member
Not a case of giving to under 21s my daughter and husband are over 21 I'm just thinking of what we need to carry around the park document wise. Thanks for the reply though.

I'm from the UK and was there at Christmas. We found they rarely needed Id from DH or myself but DS who turned 21 on our arrival day was always asked. We needed the physical Id, passport or driving licence. Because his is a provisional licence it confused some people so I always carried his passport in a bum bag. There again, I had to carry mine too because we're dvc and they always asked for Id to get the dvc discount.

I think you'll need to have DD's passport or driving licence with you.

Ariel1986

I'd still take a photo of the passport on your phone- it wasn't many places, but when I was asked for my ID the driving licence on its own wasn't sufficient as it wasn't a US driving licence- they wanted to see a copy of my passport with it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
From the horse's mouth:

"Alcoholic beverages can be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort by all Guests 21 years of age or older.

Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at any site in the state of Florida—including Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Vero Beach Resort—must present one of the following valid forms of identification:

• U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. military ID
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
  • NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)
Please note: All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

For all questions concerning our identification requirements, please call (407) 939-6244. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

*U.S. territories include Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa.

**Foreign driver’s licenses or ID cards are not acceptable by themselves."

The above is not exactly clear, in one case it says guests from outside the U.S. must present a valid passport [not a copy] plus other ID, but it also says Canadians can present a NEXUS card on its own. Last time I checked, Canada was considered "outside of the United States". Based on the bolded/underlined part, from the UK you'll need an original passport and a second piece of government-issued ID.

Sadly, it seems Americans can't wrap their heads around the way dates are properly reflected in the real world, DD/MM/YYYY rather than their confused, illogical MM/DD/YYYY. As is evidenced by the UK press corps members barred from PM May's press conference at the White House because they put their date-of-birth on the forms in UK-style instead of U.S. style and the Secret Service couldn't figure it out... :rolleyes:

ETA: I haven't had the problem, I'm 57 with enough grey to be beyond doubt "of age". :p

Spectro

Original Poster
I also found this :-
For UK Guests and other non US Residents, you must carry your photo drivers licence and a photocopy of your passport to all WDW restaurants and kiosks if you wish to purchase alcohol!

So it seems mixed answers on whether a photocopy of passport along side driving license is ok. Easy enough to carry driving licenses as small thin and plastic. I think we will take 1 actual passport and 2 photocopies alongside all our licenses. I will need to find a waterproof case to protect them as always a risk of getting wet or damaged. Shame there is no magic band add on to prove ID

nickys

Premium Member
From the horse's mouth:

"Alcoholic beverages can be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort by all Guests 21 years of age or older.

Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at any site in the state of Florida—including Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Vero Beach Resort—must present one of the following valid forms of identification:

• U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. military ID
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
  • NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)
Please note: All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

For all questions concerning our identification requirements, please call (407) 939-6244. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

*U.S. territories include Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa.

**Foreign driver’s licenses or ID cards are not acceptable by themselves."

The above is not exactly clear, in one case it says guests from outside the U.S. must present a valid passport [not a copy] plus other ID, but it also says Canadians can present a NEXUS card on its own. Last time I checked, Canada was considered "outside of the United States". Based on the bolded/underlined part, from the UK you'll need an original passport and a second piece of government-issued ID.

ETA: I haven't had the problem, I'm 57 with enough grey to be beyond doubt "of age". :p

Yeah, I read this before we went, and since I don't drive I wondered what they'd accept. We don't have any other type of government issued Id in the uk, what else does the US government issue out of interest. Anyway as I said a passport on it's own was fine. But then my age is beyond doubt too. I've yet to hear of anyone asked for a passsport and another form of Id.

Ironically when DS, who turned 21 on our first day, was wearing his 21st birthday button he wasn't asked for Id at all, the server just wished him happy birthday!

Ariel1986

I'll be honest...I'd be floored if they accepted a picture on your phone.

Along with my UK driving licence (in hand) they accepted the passport picture- they wouldn't take the driving licence on it's own as the bartender said because it wasn't a US driving licence (too many variables with foreign driving licences) he wanted my passport- or a picture of one. I don't think they would of accepted just the picture of the passport. My point was to say a UK driving licence on it's own might not be enough- take a photo of the corresponding passport too.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, I read this before we went, and since I don't drive I wondered what they'd accept. We don't have any other type of government issued Id in the uk, what else does the US government issue out of interest.
Most Americans do not have a Passport. Those who do not drive can get a state issued ID card that typically looks similar to a drivers license but does not grant a license to drive.

they wouldn't take the driving licence on it's own as the bartender said because it wasn't a US driving licence (too many variables with foreign driving licences)
They always say this as though there is only one US drivers license and not 50+ variations.

EvilQueen-T

I'd still take a photo of the passport on your phone- it wasn't many places, but when I was asked for my ID the driving licence on its own wasn't sufficient as it wasn't a US driving licence- they wanted to see a copy of my passport with it.

Not taking your drivers license is crazy unless it doesn't have your date of birth and photo on it. I've purchased two drinks standing in line at a f&w kiosk but never more than that so can't speak to getting more than that for your group but I totally get having one person stand in line...we rotate like that too.

Ariel1986

Not taking your drivers license is crazy unless it doesn't have your date of birth and photo on it. I've purchased two drinks standing in line at a f&w kiosk but never more than that so can't speak to getting more than that for your group but I totally get having one person stand in line...we rotate like that too.

I know it was quite annoying since it does have my date of birth and photo on it! I don't really understand why they wouldn't, but hey. I got my drink in the end!

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have only been carded at a kiosk once but at Art Smith and Citricos several times. I'm 39 and look young but not that young.
Tune In, Les Vins, Morrimotos and one place at UNI got me last summer. Funny thing is when I'm with my dh I never once got asked:cautious:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
we are from the UK and I've heard all establishments now ask for ID now if purchasing alcohol. Driving licenses are ok to carry about but I'm not happy about carrying a passport around in case we lose them. Would a photo of passport details stored on our phones be be ok for ID and does each person need to show ID to be served alcohol or can 1 person order for a group ? I Am thinking about for food and wine festival and wine or cocktail with dinner.
Thanks.

You need the original document. And yes, everyone needs to prove they are 21 to be served alcohol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom