Alaskan Cruise???

fltink

Original Poster
So I have been on 13 DCL cruises, but never on an Alaskan itinerary. (I've also never had to actually book one NOT as a Cast Member!) What is your opinion? I know people love the Alaskan cruises, but to me, vacation is sunshine, tropical breezes and pina coladas. Will I be able to get that out of my head and enjoy Alaska?

Also, if I do go ahead and book it, any recommendations on dates/pricing options?

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Hey Fltink! Welcome to WDWMagic! 13 cruises, wow!! I can send you a ton of information on the Alaska cruises if you like to help you with your decision making.
While Alaska is a totally different destination than the warmer climates that you enjoy so much, I am certain that the beautiful scenery of Alaska will be just as enjoyable. Here is my email. Pam@kingdomkonsultant.com

Pam

ChuckElias

Only you can answer the question of whether you can enjoy a non-tropical vacation. But I can tell you that Alaska has truly unique beauty, and that an Alaska cruise is a wonderful experience. I was a little worried that my daughter wasn't going to come home with us. She loved Alaska that much. And if you have the time, you should spend a couple days in Vancouver; it's a great city.

My signature has a link to the "report" of my Alaskan trip, which is mostly just pictures, but might give you an idea of what you can see on the itinerary.

fltink

Original Poster
Thanks, Pam! I could really use some help. I haven't really even looked into pricing and when I want to go yet. Is there still space for this summer? Does anyone have recommendations on when to go? Advantages or disadvantages of certain weeks? What about the itineraries? Should we do one of the repositioning ones, or just a full on Alaskan itinerary?

DISNEY FANTASY

So I have been on 13 DCL cruises, but never on an Alaskan itinerary. (I've also never had to actually book one NOT as a Cast Member!) What is your opinion? I know people love the Alaskan cruises, but to me, vacation is sunshine, tropical breezes and pina coladas. Will I be able to get that out of my head and enjoy Alaska?

Also, if I do go ahead and book it, any recommendations on dates/pricing options?

Loved it fantastic cruise lots of details in my link below.

Ralphlaw

We did the Wonder out of Vancouver in 2011, and it was one of our favorite vacations. The mountainous beauty is unsurpassed, and you really feel like you're on an adventure because there are very few signs of development through much of it. My advice to perk up your interest is to read up on Alaska, if you're a big reader. I read James Michener's Alaska before going. Yeah, it's a 500+ page book, but it gave real depth to that vacation.

The port adventures are also great. I would suggest looking them up on the DCL website to get a flavor of what you can do.

Now, in all fairness, here's what doesn't happen:
1. You're probably not going to spend time in the pool.
2. There's no day in Castaway Cay.
3. There's probably no fireworks due to some maritime regulation.

By contrast, you get:
1. Wildlife and scenery galore, especially on the Tracey Arm Fjord day. (That's it in the photo above)
2. Truly historical areas to see.
3. A great city to sail out of. (Grouse mountain in Vancouver is an amazing way to spend half a day, at least.)
4. A focus on the ship of indoor activities due to a dearth of swimmy weather.
5. Truly unique port adventures, with glaciers, whales and huskies.

Truly, I'd go tomorrow if I could.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom