Alaska Bound!!!

Nemo14

Original Poster
So, a little explanation before I begin.
My dad loved to travel, and always dreamed of going to Alaska. We were quite poor growing up on a farm with a large family, but he planned to drive us all there there someday (from Rhode Island). Sadly a brain tumor took his life before he could fulfill that dream. My mom lived the next 36 years as his widow, but even as she struggled through the cruelties of Alzheimer's, she often talked about Dad and his dreams.

Mom was reunited with Dad a year and a half ago, and much to our surprise, when we finished all the legal mumbo-jumbo that you go through after a death in the family, we found that Dad had done some shrewd investing with what little money they had, and each of my 4 brothers, 2 sisters and I inherited a respectful amount of money. My immediate thought was how ironic that he never got to reap the rewards of this, and I began to do a little research, but in my heart I knew we needed to go to Alaska.

I found a great deal on an Alaskan land and sea cruise, but knew I needed time to plan and prepare so in March of 2016 I booked the trip for my husband and me for August of 2017, figuring that would give me plenty of time to learn all I needed to know, and it would be kind of the climax of a laid-back summer. Little did I know at the time that by the time we finally got to fulfill Dad's dream, we would be grandparents of an awesome grandson, and a granddaughter would be due to arrive within a week of our return.

It's been a crazy busy summer, but our big day is now less than a week away, So, here's our general itinerary - I'm so excited for this!

Wednesday, August 9 - travel day

We’ll fly from RI to Seattle, changing planes in Chicago. Hoping to get together with my niece and her family, if time allows

Thursday, 8/10 We’ll travel by train to Vancouver and spend a few hours enjoying the city before calling it an early night.

Friday 8/11 we board the Radiance of the sea to begin our Alaskan adventure! We’ cruise the Inside Passage,the next day (Saturday, 8/12) and arrive at Ketchikan early Sunday morning (8/13) We’ll tour the city and catch the Lumberjack show before departing late that afternoon.

Monday (8/14) we arrive at Icy Straight Point around 9 AM and take a whale and Marine mammals cruise that afternoon. The ship departs at 6 PM and travels to Juneau, where we’ll be doing a float trip by the Mendenhall Glacier that afternoon.

Wednesday we spend the day in Skagway, where we’ll travel through the mountains on the scenic White Pass Railway, and then Thursday, 8/17, we are on the ship all day cruising by the Hubbard Glacier, then travel on to Seward.

The cruise ends there, but our adventure continues for a few more days, as we explore Anchorage, Talkeetna, and Denali.

trr1

My dad loved to travel, and always dreamed of going to Alaska. We were quite poor growing up on a farm with a large family, but he planned to drive us all there there someday (from Rhode Island). Sadly a brain tumor took his life before he could fulfill that dream. My mom lived the next 36 years as his widow, but even as she struggled through the cruelties of Alzheimer's, she often talked about Dad and his dreams.

Mom was reunited with Dad a year and a half ago, and much to our surprise, when we finished all the legal mumbo-jumbo that you go through after a death in the family, we found that Dad had done some shrewd investing with what little money they had, and each of my 4 brothers, 2 sisters and I inherited a respectful amount of money. My immediate thought was how ironic that he never got to reap the rewards of this, and I began to do a little research, but in my heart I knew we needed to go to Alaska.

I found a great deal on an Alaskan land and sea cruise, but knew I needed time to plan and prepare so in March of 2016 I booked the trip for my husband and me for August of 2017, figuring that would give me plenty of time to learn all I needed to know, and it would be kind of the climax of a laid-back summer. Little did I know at the time that by the time we finally got to fulfill Dad's dream, we would be grandparents of an awesome grandson, and a granddaughter would be due to arrive within a week of our return.

It's been a crazy busy summer, but our big day is now less than a week away, So, here's our general itinerary - I'm so excited for this!

We’ll fly from RI to Seattle, changing planes in Chicago. Hoping to get together with my niece and her family, if time allows

Thursday, 8/10 We’ll travel by train to Vancouver and spend a few hours enjoying the city before calling it an early night.

Friday 8/11 we board the Radiance of the sea to begin our Alaskan adventure! We’ cruise the Inside Passage,the next day (Saturday, 8/12) and arrive at Ketchikan early Sunday morning (8/13) We’ll tour the city and catch the Lumberjack show before departing late that afternoon.

Monday (8/14) we arrive at Icy Straight Point around 9 AM and take a whale and Marine mammals cruise that afternoon. The ship departs at 6 PM and travels to Juneau, where we’ll be doing a float trip by the Mendenhall Glacier that afternoon.

Wednesday we spend the day in Skagway, where we’ll travel through the mountains on the scenic White Pass Railway, and then Thursday, 8/17, we are on the ship all day cruising by the Hubbard Glacier, then travel on to Seward.

The cruise ends there, but our adventure continues for a few more days, as we explore Anchorage, Talkeetna, and Denali.
I hope we'll see tons of pictures of food and scenery

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I had a friend who recently went on vacation to Alaska in the beginning of July, but hated it cause he said all it did was rain. Hopefully the weather cooperates with your venture!

Tick Tock

I'm so happy you're getting to do this, both to honor your Dad's memory, and to create some amazing ones for you & your husband.

On board, and ready to follow along on your adventure ahead!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sounds like a double win!! Not only do you get to honor your father's memory with his # 1 dream to go to Alaska, but you get to enjoy an excellent vacation!! I'll be following this thread. :)

Hope you get to see an Alaskan Moose (Alaska Moose is the largest subspecies of moose). They range from Alaska to the western Yukon.

Nemo14

Original Poster
Sounds like a double win!! Not only do you get to honor your father's memory with his # 1 dream to go to Alaska, but you get to enjoy an excellent vacation!! I'll be following this thread. :)

Hope you get to see an Alaskan Moose (Alaska Moose is the largest subspecies of moose). They range from Alaska to the western Yukon.

Moose, whales, bald eagles (of course), bears,etc, - I want to see them all!

Nemo14

Original Poster
Just because we haven't been busy enough already:
This morning we got a call that due to some complications, our little granddaughter will be arriving before we depart for Alaska, so today we drove down to Maryland to be here when she arrives. We'll have to drive back Monday night or so since we still have packing and laundry to do before our flight Wednesday morning, but we can't wait to meet the little princess!

Nemo14

Original Poster
I'm so excited for you...and so nice to have more little ones to unleash the Disney on! What will you introduce her to first??
Sleep !:joyfull:

Actually we're hoping she's a good sleeper like her cousin, but we'll still love her even if she isn't.:D As far as Disney trips go, she'll be going this spring. Her other grandparents are DVC owners and I'm sure they have a few trips planned already.

Nemo14

Original Poster
So.... the adventure begins. We started our morning yesterday by oversleeping. Fortunately DH's brother called at 3:45 to tell us he would pick us up in half an hour to take us to the airport, so we rushed through showers,etc and got dressed just in time. The airport was surprisingly busy, so no time for coffee :mad:, but we were able to upgrade DH's ticket so he boarded before me and saved a seat in the emergency exit rows. Nice having a little extra leg room! No internet working on the flight, so I just slept a lot anyway. We had a couple of hour layover in Chicago so we had time for coffee and muffins before boarding the next flight. No extra leg room this time, and a completely full flight, so naturally the largest man on the flight chose to sit with us. :rolleyes: The flight was long, but landing was very pretty with the snow-capped mountains poking through the clouds:

216746-80ddffa6cd7443a2f6dcb9e3ebcba37c.jpg

Anyway we got to Seattle OK and had a decent meal and a good rest, so today we're taking the Amtrak to Vancouver.

Nemo14

Original Poster
Last night we stayed at a Hampton Inn. The staff there was wonderful, and helped us out tremendously. ...with one small exception...
We had checked with the lady at the front desk about what was the best way for us to get to the Amtrak station by 7:30 this morning, and after weighing our options, it seemed like a town car was our best bet, so she offered to arrange it for us, with a pick up time of 6:30. So this morning we waited in the lobby patiently, but no town car showed up. Another person at the desk noticed our anxious faces and checked with the towncar company, and they said that they had no record of a call. They sent a young man over right away, and thankfully he got us to the station just in the nick of time. *phew* (We did get to see Starbucks headquarters, the Mariners stadium, the Seahawks stadium, and the Space needle in kind of a blur though).

The train ride from Seattle to Vancouver was nice though, with some really pretty views along the coast. We checked into our hotel a while ago - it's very quaint (no elevator) in the heart of a restaurant district here so we had our choice of a variety of venues. We ended up settling for a Greek restaurant with some pretty tasty food, then we took a walk around the area. We saw the stadium where the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2010 winter Olympics were held, which was kind of neat. Tomorrow we board the ship and head for Alaska!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom