Alan Thicke of Growing Pains has passed

trr1

Original Poster
TV icon Alan Thicke has died ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Alan had a heart attack while he was playing hockey with his 19-year-old son, Carter. He was transported to Providence St. Joseph's Medical Center around noon today, and pronounced dead there.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... a company that recovers organs was contacted, so some of Thicke's organs could be donated.

He's survived by his 3 sons -- Robin, Brennan and Carter ... and his wife, Tanya.

Alan played hockey regularly at a rink in Burbank. We're told he and Carter were on the ice around 11 AM when he started having chest pain, then got nauseous and vomited. The ambulance picked him up around 11:30 and took him to the hospital.
The Canadian born actor was most famous for his role as Jason Seaver, the dad on the '80s sitcom, "Growing Pains." Most recently, he was on the Netflix reboot, "Fuller House" ... and also had a cameo on the first episode of "This Is Us.
Alan also hosted game shows, talk shows, and wrote several famous TV show theme songs for "Diff'rent Strokes," "Wheel of Fortune" as well as "Growing Pains."

He was 69.

prberk

He seemed like a very nice guy. Prayers for his family. I know that they were blessed with him.

He also wrote the theme song for "The Facts of Life," and he had a late night talk-show airing after NBC's juggernaut "Tonight" show long before Seth Myers or Conan O'Brien or David Letterman did it. It was called "Thicke of the Night," and ikt took place of a failed attempt from Tom Snyder called "Tomorrow" (meant to go along with NBC's "Today" show and "Tonight" show). When "Tomorrow" failed with its literary approach (think Charlie Rose today), they decided to try a whole different direction for the late-late-night timeslot and charged Alan Thicke with developing a more edgy show. Of course we know that that show was eventually shelved for a more traditional, though still somewhat edgy, show aimed at college students from a young comedian named David Letterman. But Alan had a part of the soup for a while in developing the late-night tradition.

A W Reezy

I was shocked when I heard this one. It's almost terrifying how one can wake up, eat breakfast, go out and actually play hockey with their son... And then just drop dead. I was a big fan of Growing Pains growing up. Alan Thicke "Dr. Jason Seaver" will be missed.

Goofyernmost

I was shocked when I heard this one. It's almost terrifying how one can wake up, eat breakfast, go out and actually play hockey with their son... And then just drop dead. I was a big fan of Growing Pains growing up. Alan Thicke "Dr. Jason Seaver" will be missed.
Yup, life can be like that sometimes, however, I think it preferable to a long lingering passing. The here one minute gone the next aspect is difficult to really wrap one's brain around though. It's a particularly unwanted thought when you happen to be turning 69 in July. (shudder)

Goofyernmost

We all have a past.
Curious... does that have a connection to anything?
Few people realize that he has a connection to Wheel of Fortune, as Thicke wrote and composed the theme song used from 1975 to 1983:

The statement made was "We all have a past". When was that ever an argument? Of course we do unless one was born while I was typing this. My question is what connection does that have to anything? Your reply was to tell me something I already knew about his theme songs. I still don't understand what "we all have a past" connects to. What statement, what significance, what is the point? It really isn't all that important, but, something triggered the response by the poster and I do not know what the reason is or how to make sense of it. Might be very accurate (in fact it is), but, in relation to what?

KentB3

The statement made was "We all have a past". When was that ever an argument? Of course we do unless one was born while I was typing this. My question is what connection does that have to anything? Your reply was to tell me something I already knew about his theme songs. I still don't understand what "we all have a past" connects to. What statement, what significance, what is the point? It really isn't all that important, but, something triggered the response by the poster and I do not know what the reason is or how to make sense of it. Might be very accurate (in fact it is), but, in relation to what?

It looks like I misunderstood your question. Sorry about that! :(

Nemo14

In fact, the "past" reference was a lame attempt to make fun of the OP's original title which has since been corrected.

Goofyernmost

In fact, the "past" reference was a lame attempt to make fun of the OP's original title which has since been corrected.
Thank you... now it makes sense. I remember seeing that as well and thinking it should have been passed, but, didn't think about it again and did not connect it at the time. Now I can sleep nights again. :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom