1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

"Aladdin" live action prequel

Discussion in 'Animation, Movies, TV' started by Brer Panther, Jul 15, 2015.

1. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

Creatively, I agree. But the box office says we're wrong.

2. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

Big budget original concepts have been massive failures. When you have back-to-back-to-back flops of John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland (and those weren't even original if you want to be strict about your interpretation), I'd be a little gun-shy too. I think Disney is going to stick with their five "sure things" of Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, WDAS, and live-action remakes, then fill the slate with modest budget films like MacFarland, USA, Saving Mr. Banks, Into the Woods, and Million Dollar Arm.

3. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis Well-Known Member

Blah. Just because Disney invests poorly in new IPs doesn't mean it negates the equally abysmal franchise decisions.

Iger gave Gore Verbinski $250m to adapt The Lone Ranger with Armie Hammer as a co-lead. I could tell on paper that was a bad investment.

raven24 and lazyboy97o like this.
  4. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

Jurassic World was going to shatter records regardless of Tomorrowland being good or not.

maxairmike likes this.
  5. Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther Well-Known Member

Jeez.

I wonder if the genies are going to be animated at all? That would be the only thing that might make this movie fun.

brb1006 likes this.
  6. Brer Panther

Brer Panther Well-Known Member Original Poster

I think they should cast the guy who plays the Genie in the Aladdin Broadway musical.

fox_198 and Animaniac93-98 like this.
  7. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

I love that guy so much. He even joked about the new Selfie Stick ban days before taking effect at WDW and Disneyland. I'm still waiting for a new joke about this prequelprequel sometime this month or next month.

8. maxairmike

maxairmike Well-Known Member

Not the DCA "broadway" version, the actual Broadway version, as in New York City Broadway.

While I haven't the slightest idea about the actor they cast for the Broadway play, I have serious doubts about the Genie being done by anyone but Robin Williams, at least on screen. He made the character the breakout star that he is, and I suspect basically wrote his own lines via ad lib and partially shaped the movie in that way. Finding someone to fill those shoes...I certainly wouldn't want to be the casting director.

SosoDude likes this.
  9. Fox&Hound

Fox&Hound Well-Known Member

Remember when Disney went overboard with all the straight-to-video sequel garbage a while back: 102 Dalmatians, Cinderella 2&3, Jungle Book 2, Hunchback 2, Fox&Hound 2, Little Mermaid 2&3. I feel like they are starting to make the same mistake with these live-action films. Even Pixar is jumping on the sequel band wagon. I understand the hesitancy after flops like John Carter and Tomorrowland but this is too much....

Magenta Panther likes this.
  10. Brer Panther

I blame the success of Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent.

brb1006 likes this.
  11. Disneyfanman

Disneyfanman Active Member

I guess I'm optimistic. I thought Malificent was a terrible idea. And then I liked the film. I thought Cinderella was an even more terrible idea. And then I LOVED it. I couldn't wait for Tomorrowland. And then I didn't like the movie. In the end, regardless of the source material, I think a story can be well done or trash. So I think I'm viewing each of these things as something I will wait to see before commenting.

On a side note I just saw the casting list for Pete's Dragon. Some pretty amazing talent is involved. I've decided that one may work too.

doctornick likes this.
  12. Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL!!!! Wow, that guy IS good!!!

brb1006 likes this.
  13. Brer Panther

I wish the shows at Disney World allowed the actors to do more ad-libbing. It works great in the Aladdin show.

brb1006 likes this.
  14. Blackie Pueblo

Blackie Pueblo Active Member

Agree! And I HATED THE MAJORITY of the straight to make money sequels. I think not only did they take away from the original movies but they also in some cases destroyed love characters. My main thing is sometimes its best to leave origins as a mystery or just small released. Perfect example was Darth Vader. In the original Star Wars we got his backstory through other characters and it made him mysterious and made you kind of wonder and feel sorry for him. When we got the prequel all we got was hatred towards the way the character in the story was told. In truth we really didn't need a prequel about Darth Vader and I don't think we really need prequel how about your the genie. Oh, and Aladdin is one of my favorites just FYI.

15. Bairstow

Bairstow Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Blackie Pueblo likes this.
  16. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

17. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

Direwolf27 likes this.
  18. barkerbird

barkerbird Active Member

ChampDisney and SosoDude like this.
  19. ChampDisney

ChampDisney Well-Known Member

I wonder what role Will Smith turned down for Dumbo... perhaps their may have been creative differences between he and director Tim Burton? Out of all the years those two have made movies, not once have they worked together. Oh well.

Anyways, I think Will Smith portraying the role of Genie sounds promising. He's got the look, smile and charisma. Hope Disney seals the deal.

20. barkerbird

barkerbird Active Member

I think Dan Castellaneta should play the Genie. ;)