AKL/YC questions

SLPRay

Hello,

My husband and I are trying to decide between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Yacht Club resorts for a late Nov./early Dec. visit. We stayed at the Yacht Club for our anniversary, so that one has some sentimental value. However, we love animals and the AKL sounds nice, too.

#1 If we did the AKL, we'd have to get a Savannah View to be able to see the animals from our room-that would be the whole appeal. If you get a Savannah room, can you pretty consistently see the animals? Or is it an every now and then thing?

#2 Any general thoughts between the two above mentioned resorts comparatively?

We loved Storm Along Bay at the YC, but not sure how much swimming we'd be doing at that time of year. How is the pool at AKL and is there a whirlpool/hot tub at AKL?

Sorry if this topic has been brought up many times before. This is my first time posting.

Thanks for any insight!

Moustronaut

I've wandered around the place for an hour looking around and seen the animals. I have not stayed at AKL but one of my closest friends has and here's her take on the lodge.

The animals are always around. They put nicely disguised feeding stations close to the rooms so they animals are there (do the same thing on the safari tour at DAK). So the type of animal you see will vary from hour to hour as they wander around, but you always see something.

Now have stayed at Boardwalk (right across the lake from YC/BC). Persoanlly I think it's much more convient to the parks. You can walk to Epcot, boat to MGM, short bus ride to MK. At AKL then only short bus ride is to Animal Kingdom. But walking around AKL, the place is wonderfully themed. I'd stay there once just to say I'd been there. Plus they are less expensive that YC. So give it a shot

Upvote 0

abu21

AKL/YC Questions

All though I have not personally stayed at the AKL (I will be in 69 short days for almost 12 days!!!!), I might have some insight that may be helpful, strictly based upon my own research.

You are correct that you will have to have a Savanna view in order to see the animals from your room ... although almost every room in the AKL boasts that you can view animals from your balcony (at AKL every room has a balcony). The lodge also offers a large, four-story observation window overlooking the savanna. Disney has meticulously re-created African savanna that surrounds the resort and the animals are given the freedom to wander within a dozen or so yards of the lodge itself. Based on this, I would assume that the chances of spotting animals are pretty darn good!! :) In all, more than 100 birds and hoofed amimals, including giraffes, zebras, ostriches, and Thompson's gazelles call AK home. Disney has also provided mosquito netting on some of the beds, traditional tapestries, handcrafted dark-wood furniture, and hand carved teak wood doors ... thus giving AKL a real African game lodge feel (how cool is that?) :cool:

Briefly touching on the pool at AKL ... granted I haven't been there yet (almost though) ... The only pool AKL has is huge (check out some of the pictures on the net ... it looks so neat :lookaroun ) There is supposedly an unbelievable view from the pool deck and there are two whirlpools nearby.

I'm not sure how much this helps (since this is not first hand knowledge), let me get back from this years vacation and hopefully I will have better info :sohappy:

Alright, that's my very first post!!! :eek:

Upvote 0

matt&helen

We've stayed at both. Our kids prefer AKL, but if it is just us than it is YC. AKL is incredible though. There is no other resort like it. You have to have a Savannah room to get the true feeling. The only down side in our opinion of AKL is the pool. Compared to the other resorts especially YC, it is quite weak. Storm Along Bay was the only thing that our kids enjoyed about YC. But they are very picky. I think when it comes to Disney Resorts, you will enjoy yourself no matter what, so I believe the choice is what you're in the mood for.

Upvote 0

Mary Ellen

This year I wanted to stay at AKL got out voted. We are staying at the Beach Club. This is the only resort we have stayed at twice, I like to try a new resort each visit. My family decided on BC again because of 1. location; and 2. pool. I have to say I do love the pool and being able to walk to EPCOT and MGM.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I've never stayed at YC, but I've been to AKL twice, and we are staying agian this year.

My take...

1) Everyone should try AKL once. It's just that good of a resort.
2) While I haven't used the pool itself, I've sat out around it many nights reading, or using my laptop. It's nice.
3) The views are great, the theaming is wonderful, and the CMs are really top notch.
4) The distance is not what most people think. Yes, they have bus only service, but the resort is designed to feel like you're away from everything. And like everything else in WDW, looks are VERY decieving. By bus, you can get to Epcot or MGM as fast as most other resorts. Tyler has given us the bus times and they show they even beat some of the other resorts to MG and Epcot, and are only (on average) about 2 min longer to MK.
5) It has 2 of some of the best restarants at WDW. :slurp:
6) We've got some great pictures of animals from our balcony.

Have fun in either choice. I've stayed in two other deluxes beside AKL, and for us, AKL is our new home from now on until Disney builds something better. And AKL is a hard resort to top in my opinion.

Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

SLPRay

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's comments. We're going to look around online for some pics of AKL. Anyone know of any sites? Then we'll make our final decision. We're having a tough time deciding. The location of YC definitely is nice (I remember walking to Epcot), but then it's just the two of us and our hope is to make this a leisurely, relaxing vacation--so, it won't be a big deal to have to wait and take a bus to parks. We're enjoying reading your comments. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Welcome to WDWMagic. I am new here as well. I orginally joined in 2001 , but didn't start posting until this month. It's addicting.

You are not going to go wrong with either resort. Two sites I check out regularly are http://www.wdwinfo.com and http://www.wdwig.com. Both have great info and pics.

My preference is any resort in the EPCOT area. Y and B Club or the Boardwalk resort--for proximity to the parks and variety of things to do.

However, we do like trying different resorts and for our next trip we may try the Beach Club Villas or OKW.....but this year it's back to the Boardwalk Villas.....

Good luck making your decision..:)

Upvote 0

GalacticGobbler

We have stayed at both and like them each very much.

I dont think you can make a bad choice here.
For someone who has been to Disney in the past, I would recommend the AKL. It is unlike any other disney resort. I do recommend a savannah view room. We had one and the animals were around all the time. The location is not as good as the Yacht Club. For location, you cant beat the Epcot resorts.

If you have to make a tough decision, this has to be a fun one.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

SLPRay

Original Poster
Decided

HI all,

Thanks again for your comments. We've booked a Savannah view at the AKL. As much as we loved the YC on our honeymoon, we thought it would be fun to try something different. Plus, what a great way to spend an evening--watching the animals from our balcony after a long day in the parks. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

sherry8253

AKL gets my vote hands down! It is my favorite resort. There is a period of time in the afternoon when the animals are taken to the barns so that they can be fed and checked for any problems. But we always saw animals in the mornings before we left and in the early eve when we returned. It was great watching giraffes eat and drink right outside our balcony. We could hear some of the animals snoring at night because they slept close to our balcony. If you like animals, you can't go wrong with the AKL. I would sit and have a drink every eve and just spend an hour or so relaxing on the balcony and watching the animals. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

kverdon

We've statyed at AKL and loved it. This time we are going try boardwalk. As others have said, AKL is a very nice place to stay, especially if you have a Savannah room. In tying to make up your mind which place to stay at, I'd give some good thought about what you plan to do during your stay at WDW.

If you plan to spend a fair amount of time in your room, AKL would seem to be a good choice. We were there last Sept. and for what we were looking for it was perfect. We were getting over a really bad year that had culminated in the death of my mother after a long illness. We went to WDW to get away from it all and relax and recharge our batteries. I rained a fair amount when we were there but we really did not care. What we enjoyed the most was coming back to our room in the early afternoon and sitting out on the balcony, reading and watching the scenery and wildlife. For a nice relaxful or romantic getaway, AKL is hard to beat.

Now having said all this, AKL does have a downside and that is its location, Looking at a map, you will see that AKL is off the beaten path somewhat. MK was not too bad to get too but Epcot, MGM and DDD were a fair ways away on the bus. If you are planning to spend a good part of your time in the Parks, then you might want to opt for a more central location like the YC or BW. This is what we are doing this time. As much as we liked AKL, this time round we are off to have some fun and plan of spending more time in the parks. We love Epcot so we are planning on staying at BW so we can stay late at Epcot and then WALK back to our room <G>.

As many pepole have said, both places are very nice. I'd use the deciding factor to be what else you want to do at WDW.

best,

Kevin and Mona

"Go not to the elves for council, for they both say "no" and "yes". JRR Tolkein

Upvote 0

s25843

I agree with Kevin about the Local of AKL, its in lowest corner of the park and its out of the way of everything. I was planning on staying there next month but I called and changed last week just for the fact that when we stayed in the Boardwalk it was in the perfect location. 5 Minute walk to Epcot, 15 minute walk to MGM, and you could even cut through Epcot and hop on the monorail to MK if you really wanted to. You cant beat this transportation wise!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom