AKL - What are your likes?

thomas998

Are the buses to the parks from here as bad as everyone says? WL is booked, and this might be our second choice for a trip. Stayed at WL many times, and the buses were always sketchy there, but we didn't seem to mind. It's this or a family room at All Star Music for the space. Any thoughts?
If I were going to have to rely on Disney transport and didn't have a car I wouldn't stay at AKL. Even if I wanted a deluxe resort and AKL was the only one left I would drop down to a moderate, AKL can really be pathetic when it comes to transportation... Only time transportation is adequate is when you are going to AK.... We experienced extreme wait times and ended up renting a car to avoid using their buses. Now if you have a car there are some benefits to the place, you are closer to non-Disney places so it was really easy to hit a reasonable place for breakfast before we hit the parks... But honestly it is hard for me to justify the price for AKL, I look at it as more of a moderate than a deluxe resort, Disney did do extensive theme work in the main portions but the rooms were probably a step down from say the Contemporary.

Tk0021

We are staying at Jambo house this September. The parks close at 9:00 and I am a little concerned we will get back to the hotel and we will want something to do. Is there anything open that late or going on at night?

I am Timmy

We won't have a car, and the only two choices for our dates are AK standard room and All Star Music family room (we are four adults - DH, DS 25 and DS 21). We've been travelling all over for years, so all of us staying in one space isn't an issue, neither is the boys sharing a bed (we are also a tiny family). One has more space in the room, one is prettier outside the room. One has great quick service choices, which we use, and I don't know which has better bus service. We'll be getting free dining, we would upgrade to the dining plan for the stay at All Star. The difference in price is only $300, and we'll be there fourteen nights, so the price, to me, is negligible. I tried putting in a bunch of different dates for a split stay, but no go. So, I have to choose one or the other. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of you!!!! your input is saving my sanity!

I am Timmy

I will agree that the I've never experienced bad bus service as AKL either. The only time I had a horrible wait was back from Disney Springs, but I've since heard a lot of people at other resorts saying Disney Springs bus service was spotty, so that might be just a Springs issue.
Our stay will be Dec. 10-24, so during xmas. Do you think that will be more of an issue? We haven't gone in Dec. since 2012, I imagine things have changed. We stayed at WL that time, but we have stayed there many times and to be honest, the buses were always sketchy. And it shares with other resorts. We would frequently wait over 30 min. for a bus in the morning, people always made it the parks before us (we're kind of commando). Since the fastpass + system rolled out, that has been less of an issue, though.

I am Timmy

No, no they are not. We've had 10 unique stays at AKL and never experienced anywhere near the bus horrors others have claimed. AKL is, IMO, far superior to WL.
Would you stay in a standard room with four (although small) adults for two weeks? It is my DH, and our two boys (DH 25 and DH 21). We're no strangers to sharing spaces, but over the years, when not going to Disney, we rent condos or houses. The space is nice, esp. with the purchasing of souvenirs (I always make shipments home, though), but I am torn between extra room space and beautiful resort. Our other choice is All Star Music family room. We've stayed at Pop, and moderates and Deluxe, and we've honestly enjoyed Deluxe and Pop more than mods (the boys hated how spread it was, and no dedicated bus stop of all things!). What to do......

thomas998

Our stay will be Dec. 10-24, so during xmas. Do you think that will be more of an issue? We haven't gone in Dec. since 2012, I imagine things have changed. We stayed at WL that time, but we have stayed there many times and to be honest, the buses were always sketchy. And it shares with other resorts. We would frequently wait over 30 min. for a bus in the morning, people always made it the parks before us (we're kind of commando). Since the fastpass + system rolled out, that has been less of an issue, though.
Given you are all adults have you given any consideration to doing a split stay between Disney and Universal? Might be a way to get Disney hotel you actually want with the only trade off being some days at Universal which you might actually enjoy as adults.

I am Timmy

We are going to Universal for a week before we head to Disney. We always hit Universal first, but this time added an extra couple of days for the xmas festivities and to check out Volcano Bay, even it's too chilly to get in the water! We need to see all the new stuff since we come from kind of far (Wa. state). And, yes we do enjoy Uni, thank you for thinking of it!

mouse_luv

Everything.

And the buses are awesome compared to other resorts we've stayed at. Also, to answer two previous posters the buses and activities will be fine in Sept and Jan (we've stayed both times).

Also, in contrast to someone above that said they would drop down to a moderate resort instead of stay at AKL. That's crazy. The only Deluxe/DVC I would refuse to stay at again other than SSR/OKW (due to distance and bus issues) is BWI/BWV since the rooms were crappy and a disappointment compared to other DVCs/Deluxes.

SyracuseDisneyFan

On the bus to Magic Kingdom from Animal Kingdom Lodge, the bus wasn't that bad. However, on the way back to Animal Kingdom Lodge from Magic Kingdom, the bus was full and I felt kind of packed like a sardine. The bus to Animal Kingdom from Epcot was good as there were fewer people on it.

GCTales

Never had trouble with long bus waits... However, buses are the only transport method. It is also the farthest from MK- so it can be a long ride to and from the park. Just include that in your planning.

Our room was out on the end of the left arm of Jambo.... 3341 (?) area on left side overlooking Savannah - queen with bunk beds (though I swear it was a full bed at the time after getting Used to a king). Plus- hearing Kevin wake you every morning and seeing giraffe eating from 10' away. Negative.... That room location only- Long walk to room from the lobby at the end of a day in the parks (same trip, my father had a Savannah view room that was very near the lobby).

Lobby was absolutely amazing, probably my favorite. We were there early December. The tree was awe inspiring.

Only ate at the counter service once, but we had reservations for restaurants all over the parks and other hotels, depending on where we were that day (e.g., in MK... Dinner at BoG).

Here are some pics of our views, the lobby, and the room.

(Btw - I would fully recommend candlelight processional. We had Whoopie Goldberg as our narrator and she was excellent. Another friend had Niel Patrick Harris and said he wa awesome)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom