AKL Jambo House or WL?

SnoopRogg

Original Poster
Gf and I are going January 14 to 21 2017 and really cannot decide between these two places at all. Is the bus from AKL that big of a pain? Or is construction at WL worse?

epcotisbest

Gf and I are going January 14 to 21 2017 and really cannot decide between these two places at all. Is the bus from AKL that big of a pain? Or is construction at WL worse?

We have stayed at both. WL multiple times.
I think the bus from AKL is no big deal and some of the complaints about it are exaggerated.
As for WL, the construction might be close to finished by then. If so that would be my choice because
we like the location and theme best.
If not, I would take AKL in a heartbeat. Think about it this way. Even if the bus ride takes an extra
20 or 30 minutes, which it does not, more like extra 5 or 10 compared to some places, you are still
staying in one of the most beautiful properties on site.

dreamfinder

I've never had any more problems with the buses at AKL than I have at any other resort. And I'm pretty sure if you use the average transportation times from the Unofficial Guide, going to each park for one day you only end up spending like 3-4 minutes more on a bus (total over the 4 days, round trip) than the other resorts.

bunnyman

Stayed at WL about 6 weeks ago...the construction is no problem. Something to think about is that the WL has the added bonus besides the buses in the boats directly to the MK, and the option to go by boat to either Fort Wilderness or the Contemporary. We use the boats to connect to the Monorail in order to venture to EPCOT.

MagicalMommy

I stayed at WL and AKL on back to back trips. I don't think you can go wrong with either. We thought the buses at AKL were fine; what you get at the resort makes it worth it, to me. (Animal viewing, great dining options, beautiful themeing)
Construction at WL is through 2017, so it will be ongoing when you visit, but the proximity to MK by boat and the theming are great, too.

Last edited:
I love both...We stayed @ AKL in March & loved it.....we r staying @ WLV in Oct.....yeah in 2 weeks....stayed there many times & the only difference in my opinion is the WLV is a better location....

Simba's Mom

I've stayed at both many times and my preference now is AKL by far. I've been to the "real" WL, in Yellowstone so the WL at WDW isn't as special to me any more. However, I don't see myself ever being in the financial position to go all the way to Africa and be on a "real" African Safari. So I figure that staying at AKL is the closest I'll ever get.

The_Jobu

Haven't been to WL, so I can't speak to that, but I did go to Jambo this year and absolutely loved it. The resort was great, breakfast buffet was wonderful and our standard view gave us plenty of animal views. I found the buses were no problem at all.

pax_65

It really depends on where you're going to spend your time. If you have young kids who love Magic Kingdom, WL will probably be more convenient. The bus from AKL to Magic Kingdom is a bit of a ride. But if your kids love animals and enjoy AK (and would really enjoy the Savannah view at AKL), that's a different story. Both are great resorts - we've stayed at both and enjoyed them both.

BASS

Personally, I'd go with Animal Kingdom Lodge. I really enjoy their dining options. I was not fond of Artist's Point at all. But they are both beautiful resorts. You'll enjoy both either way.

righttrack

Our two favorite resorts!

In terms of beauty, I give the indoor edge to WL over AKL, but that changes significantly when you consider the grounds and the animals which soar for AKL. The layout is better in WL though. Less confusing.

The transportation is slightly better at WL, but you still share transportation and that adds to your trip times. The distance to Epcot and MK are shorter, but I've noticed actual departure/arrival to be almost the same. The boat creates options but it's not as fast as the bus by a long shot.

As for the food, have to give it to AKL. We love all of their offerings and since the DVC there has a restaurant, it's one more plus. WL's DVC does not have one.

Rickster7

I had better bus service staying at AKL. Stayed at WL in August and unless you take the boat to MK you don't know where the buses are going to take you. Some reason they stop at other resorts? Plus the place is over half closed, rooms that is, and all the construction. I recommend AKL.

ninjaprincesst

We usually stay at WL and love it, we stayed there last November and were pretty much unaffected by the construction. This year we were originally booked for WL but had to change to AKL to get free dining for our entire trip, at first I was bummed because of the buses, but now I'm really excited. I have never even been in AKL before, my daughter and I love animals so it will be awesome I'm sure. I would just go with which ever you are most interested in. I relly don't think the construction nor the AKL buses are an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom