AKL Experiences?

aw14

Congratulations on the trip. You should really love that hotel. We stay there this past February in a sunset Savannah room. The view was out rages, and of course the hotel is absolutely beautiful. The only gripe people have is that it's a long bus ride to the Magic Kingdom. From my perspective it only took 15 minutes which was not that bad

Stellajack

Premium Member
Have stayed in AKL x 3, once in Dec. when decked out for Christmas. This is an incredible resort. We had a savannah view room each time on the 2nd level. The entire atmosphere of this resort is great. Of course, this resort is further away from the huge crowds and busy parks since there are animals everywhere. You are in for a treat! Hope you relax and enjoy this resort and remember it is definitely different from the bustle and noise of other resorts.

CheshireCat12

Enjoy it! We love the lobby and the restaurants, the entire vibe is so laid back and amazing. We had a "roof" view, not so great but you could see the pool over the top. The shop is really nice too, has some very interesting African artwork and carved items, good selection of WDW merch too. I also recommend QS breakfast at the Mara, especially the Bobotie platter- if you've never eaten bobotie, pap and chakalaka you are missing out! Also a nice big pool and two hot tubs.

Iwerks64

Congrats on your choice. It is a fantastic resort hotel. When I last stayed there, we had 2 savannah view adjoining rooms on the second floor. My wife and I had one room, and the kids had the other. It made for a very enjoyable trip. Nothing like waking up to giraffes looking in your balcony. We had a fantastic meal at Jiko, the staff was very attentive. Be sure to save time to wander the resort and check out the detail.

jeffk410

Returning back home in September, first time booking AKL. Can't contain my excitement!! Figured hearing more about other people's experiences would help keep my excitement fed haha. So, if anyone could share how their experience was at the lodge, I'd be grateful!

First time ever staying in a deluxe !

We are big fans of the resort, and it may very well be our favorite deluxe. Some of my favorite memories from recent WDW trips are my time at the resort. Definitely try to Sanaa or Boma. I can't speak to Jiko yet - will be trying it in May.

Enjoy!

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on booking a trip and for your first deluxe stay!
We just stayed at AKL for the first time a few months ago and enjoyed it. We loved the lobby and ambiance and it has one of the best stores on property in my opinion. Great animal views, great quick service eatery, and friendly cast members. I highly recommend you take time to eat at Boma-such a wonderful restaurant. I've heard Jiko is great too.

My only con was that for us, it was a bit too far from our favorite parks which we knew going into it but I'm glad we tried it there.

Enjoy your stay and your trip!

Stryker

We had a 1 bedroom in Kidani with a beautiful savanna view. I got up every morning and had my coffee on our balcony just watching the animals for an hour or more. It was one of the most relaxing trips we ever took. Be sure and take time to explore the resort, lots to see and do there.

HouCuseChickie

We stayed at AKL in 2013. I'd been inside the resort prior to this trip, but the lobby still blew me away upon arrival. I know CMs rotate, but the CMs during our stay were awesome. Beyond that...while we weren't booked for a savanna view room (booked pool view), we had savanna options during online check in and were given a savanna view. Now, I always love a room with a balcony, but this is one resort where it really is a huge perk. If I needed to wind down at night- retreat to the balcony and hang out for a while. If I had a slower day, I could go out there in the early morning and just wake up watching the animals. Beyond the animals- the Mara is a decent quick service and is convenient to the pool. The pool feels sort of like an oasis and the kids enjoyed the slide and the zero entry. While we were in Jambo, Kidani was such an easy walk and totally worth it if you want to check out Sanaa (we did- twice :) ). Some people knock the resort for the distance to the parks, but it's probably the best bus service we've had on property. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I can only agree with what has already been said. AKL is awesome, all the CM are great - but take particular advantage of talking with those CM coming from various African countries - they are always more than happy to tell you about life in their country. And take some time to wonder the hallways - we were told by a CM that the ALK has the largest collection of African art on display outside of the African continent.

suburbianj

Returning back home in September, first time booking AKL. Can't contain my excitement!! Figured hearing more about other people's experiences would help keep my excitement fed haha. So, if anyone could share how their experience was at the lodge, I'd be grateful!

First time ever staying in a deluxe !
we are staying there in September too,also our first time at a deluxe resort,what dates are you there? :)

CaptainAmerica

This was my view last week in a standard (non-savanna) view room. Repeat: This room was not classified as "savanna view." So glad I saved the several hundred dollars it would have cost me to upgrade.

uJsXm3Kh.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom