Akershus Experiences

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Hey All,

I just managed to get a reservation for Akershus breakfast our first morning in WDW. What have people's experiences been like? Would you say it's worth it? It's one of the few character dining places I haven't been to. Thanks!

belledream

We actually went to Akershus for what we thought was lunch, but it turned out to be breakfast. We toured around to see if we wanted to stay. Saw lots of general Disney-buffet breakfast items, and the 'Norwegian' section had lots of cold cuts, cheeses, etc. We're not big on breakfast, and much preferred the lunch/dinner menu with Taste of Norway and selecting our entrees instead.

However, if breakfast is the only time you can get and you're interested in meeting the princesses, I would say go for it! The décor is regal and an attraction in itself.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We actually went to Akershus for what we thought was lunch, but it turned out to be breakfast. We toured around to see if we wanted to stay. Saw lots of general Disney-buffet breakfast items, and the 'Norwegian' section had lots of cold cuts, cheeses, etc. We're not big on breakfast, and much preferred the lunch/dinner menu with Taste of Norway and selecting our entrees instead.

However, if breakfast is the only time you can get and you're interested in meeting the princesses, I would say go for it! The décor is regal and an attraction in itself.
My godson is big on breakfast foods (I, however, am not), but I would love to do a character meal with the princesses. Figured this would be killing two birds with one stone.

Weather_Lady

If you're going for the character interaction, it's worth it -- in our experience, it was one of the more relaxed character experiences. The princesses didn't have too much ground to cover, so they could linger with people more, and the restaurant doesn't have the loud, cafeteria-like noise level of some character restaurants, which was a welcome surprise.

As far as the food, we were disappointed -- with the exception of the Norwegian cold buffet (which is great if you're into cheese and cold fish, which we are), the quality of the food was no better than counter-service, dry and bland. (Also, I've traveled to Scandinavia a couple of times, and the food there -- the freshness, the quality, the robust flavors and presentation -- is AMAZING. As a World Showcase venue trying to showcase the "best of" a country's culinary offerings, I'm afraid Akershus does not remotely do justice to Norway.)

Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
If you're going for the character interaction, it's worth it -- in our experience, it was one of the more relaxed character experiences. The princesses didn't have too much ground to cover, so they could linger with people more, and the restaurant doesn't have the loud, cafeteria-like noise level of some character restaurants, which was a welcome surprise.

As far as the food, we were disappointed -- with the exception of the Norwegian cold buffet (which is great if you're into cheese and cold fish, which we are), the quality of the food was no better than counter-service, dry and bland.
That's what I've heard, and I'm debating whether it's worth using a table service credit for.

yedliW

We are going in September, and are looking forward to it. I will try just about anything.. my wife is a bit less adventurous..

ajmellu7

Went with my girls a couple of years ago and am going again in 20 days. My girls absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back! The interactions with the princesses are second to none and whilst I agree with some, the food isn't amazing, but for the look on my daughter's faces, this is the place that we have to book first and is a definite for us when we come.

DisAl

We went for dinner. While the food was good that cuisine is not my favorite. However, the interaction with the princesses was the best in any of the parks. They do a posed photo op with Belle before you are seated. Once seated several of the princesses come around to your table. In addition to the "come around and meet" they do a princess parade around the dining room with the kids.
My 1 1/2 year old grandson had better luck than I did. He had "princess lipstick kisses" all over his head. All I got was dinner.....;)

Last edited:

Flyersgirl17

we went last janurary. honestly i can say we won't be back. the only thing that was fun was the princess interaction. fpr the price we paid however, the food wasn't that great and we were sat right in front of the door and the cold air kept blowing in our direction. we asked several times to be moved since we had to wear our jackets because it was so cold. and nothing was done. we were told they had no other place left for us to go. so yeah no more for us.

Minnesota disney fan

We went several years ago with the grandkids for lunch, though, not breakfast. The buffet was fine and the food was good. The character interactions were fantastic, the best we ever experienced, at that time. The princesses were funny and fully into character. Just loved the whole experience:)

JillC LI

We haven't been there since 2009 but it was our family's least favorite food at Disney ever. We went for dinner, and our family of four (some adventurous eaters, some not) all hated the food. That said, the kids were younger and they both LOVED the princess interaction, so we consider it a positive experience although we'd never eat there again. If you go for breakfast, the food is supposed to be more of the standard breakfast fare so you should be OK.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We went for dinner. While the food was good that cuisine is not my favorite. However, the interaction with the princesses was the best in any of the parks. They do a posed photo op with Belle before you are seated. Once seated several of the princesses come around to your table. In addition to the "come around and meet" they do a princess parade around the dining room with the kids.
My 1 1/2 year old grandson had better luck than I did. He had "princess lipstick kisses" all over his head. All I got was dinner.....;)
Lucky boy! My godson is becoming a huge flirt, so I think he'll get a kick out of this.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I've always loved the Disney princesses and godson will love the attention; especially since he'll have his first time button on. For now, I think we'll keep it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you want to interact with the princesses, do not bring an autograph book. An AB is like throwing a ball in front of a dog. They show up and they glom right onto the book. They grab it, start signing while saying something, move for a picture, and run off. If you want a conversation, hide the AB so they're not distracted.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
If you want to interact with the princesses, do not bring an autograph book. An AB is like throwing a ball in front of a dog. They show up and they glom right onto the book. They grab it, start signing while saying something, move for a picture, and run off. If you want a conversation, hide the AB so they're not distracted.
Excellent tip. I'll save the autograph book for the parks!

Minnesota disney fan

OP, a cute story that I remembered when your godson was mentioned! Our grandsons, age 9 and 11, were embarrassed by the princesses at Askerhus, When Ariel came by, they got up and tried to escape to the restroom, and she caught hold of both of them. She said, "What, are you big boys afraid of a little mermaid?" It was hilarious!. She kept them with her and hugged them. They acted like they didn't want to do that, but they were grinning all the time. Now they look back on that with fond memories at the ages of 18 and 22 y/o. They shake their heads at not wanting to be hugged by a beautiful redhead NOW!!! Lots of fun with all the princesses at AK.!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
OP, a cute story that I remembered when your godson was mentioned! Our grandsons, age 9 and 11, were embarrassed by the princesses at Askerhus, When Ariel came by, they got up and tried to escape to the restroom, and she caught hold of both of them. She said, "What, are you big boys afraid of a little mermaid?" It was hilarious!. She kept them with her and hugged them. They acted like they didn't want to do that, but they were grinning all the time. Now they look back on that with fond memories at the ages of 18 and 22 y/o. They shake their heads at not wanting to be hugged by a beautiful redhead NOW!!! Lots of fun with all the princesses at AK.!
Thanks for this adorable story. My godson will likely do the opposite and ham up any attention they give him. It'll make his day!

DiSnEyF@n

I heard they all don't do the photo with Belle anymore??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom