AK fast passes for little ones

Simba's Mom

I hope you're planning to do the Safari ride. Sit near the front so it won't be too bumpy. Our DGDs were 4 and 2, and one of the best parts of Disney for them was getting to see the elephants and giraffes at KS.

ELG13

Original Poster
Oh
I hope you're planning to do the Safari ride. Sit near the front so it won't be too bumpy. Our DGDs were 4 and 2, and one of the best parts of Disney for them was getting to see the elephants and giraffes at KS.
Absolutely. That and the river cruise are the 2 I know we will fast pass. I just don't know what the 3rd one will be.

Edward M

Get Rivers of Light for your 3rd fastpass if you can stay. It is beautiful, and I can't imagine any kid not just loving it. If you can't stay until the show, then I would certainly get one for meeting Mickey. Sadly, things for kids isn't the strongest attribute for Animal Kingdom. You still have all those animals, tons of shows, and some really fun rides. I'm sure it will be a great day. Be sure to check out the trails to see animals; they are one of the best parts of the park! Lastly, be sure to skip it's tough to be a bug. It scared me a lot as a 10 year old, so I imagine a 3 or 6 year old would be terrified.

ELG13

Original Poster
Get Rivers of Light for your 3rd fastpass if you can stay. It is beautiful, and I can't imagine any kid not just loving it. If you can't stay until the show, then I would certainly get one for meeting Mickey. Sadly, things for kids isn't the strongest attribute for Animal Kingdom. You still have all those animals, tons of shows, and some really fun rides. I'm sure it will be a great day. Be sure to check out the trails to see animals; they are one of the best parts of the park! Lastly, be sure to skip it's tough to be a bug. It scared me a lot as a 10 year old, so I imagine a 3 or 6 year old would be terrified.
I'm thinking it might be a nice change of pace. A little slower, not so hectic. We have an address for yak and yeti at 530 so we are planning on staying the entire day, maybe a break in the middle if it's too hot. What time is rivers of light?
A few people have mentioned the bug thing being scary. We plan on skipping it lol!!

Edward M

It depends on the days, but, in the summer, there are usually two showings. The first is 9:15, and the second is 10:30. The 10:30 one had the entire FP+ full, and the standby was only half full. Therefore, I may shoot for the 9 to be earlier and perhaps a better use. Also, be sure to see Tree of Life Awakenings. It's a quick show, but it's easy to see and beautiful.

AmandaS.

In the fall there will probably only be one showing of rivers of light. That may change, but don't count on it. For your fastpasses, I would get River Journey, and safari.
You will probably want to ride safari twice anyways. We always do. We ride once in the morning when we first get there, and once later in the day. I haven't ridden during the "sunset lighting" yet so I can't comment on that. Also if it starts to sprinkle, get on the safari ride. The best trip we ever had on it, was right when it was starting to rain, the animals were all running around enjoying the water.

For your third FP, if you don't want to do kali river rapids, then I would probably use the third for Rivers of light. The rest of the attractions you either wont want or cant do with littles (Everest, dinosaur, and Primevil) or you don't really need a fastpass.

I would recommend the shows though. The kids will like them. The Lion king show and the Flights of wonder shows are great. And you don't need fastpasses, just show up before the show and get in line. The Nemo show is ok, if they really like Nemo, they will enjoy it. Others enjoy it more than I did.

Also Animal kingdom has a lots of other meet and greets thoughout on and off during the day. Like Tarzan, Pocahontas, Doug and russell from UP. You just need to check the disney app to see where and when they pop up.

Plus there is all the animal tracks you can walk, which is like a zoo in itself. We always make a point to see the gorillas and the tigers.

You will have no problem filling a day.

nickys

Premium Member
Have you got Wilderness Explorers on your plan? It should be pretty cool for your 6 year old, and it gives you something to "aim for" if you like. A collectible booklet and stamps to collect, whilst looking at the animals. Even if you don't finish it it's a nice moment of the day. I think you're right in that the change of pace will be beneficial.

ELG13

Original Poster
Have you got Wilderness Explorers on your plan? It should be pretty cool for your 6 year old, and it gives you something to "aim for" if you like. A collectible booklet and stamps to collect, whilst looking at the animals. Even if you don't finish it it's a nice moment of the day. I think you're right in that the change of pace will be beneficial.
I haven't put that on my list!!! What is it?!?!

NeedMoreMickey

We had some time to kill on Friday before our next FP so we deiced to stand by line for Na'vi River Journey, only a 40 minute wait. Almost as soon as we got in line it changed to 50 minutes but the wait turned into 90 minutes. Don't know what was slowing things down because the line was moving, slow but still moving.

Cosmic Commando

@ELG13 There aren't many traditional rides at AK for little ones, but I have no doubt they could fill up a day. I think the meet-n-greet is a good choice for a third FP+ if you might be interested in doing that... the lines for meet-n-greets are boring, slow-moving, and often long.

Between the animal trails, the Boneyard, and Wilderness Explorers, that's a big chunk of time right there.

Personally, my kids have never had a problem with ITTBAB. I think the things that freak kids out the most are the stingers and the spiders dropping down from the ceiling; I had my kids sit forward in the seat so they couldn't feel the stingers.

ELG13

Original Poster
@ELG13 There aren't many traditional rides at AK for little ones, but I have no doubt they could fill up a day. I think the meet-n-greet is a good choice for a third FP+ if you might be interested in doing that... the lines for meet-n-greets are boring, slow-moving, and often long.

Between the animal trails, the Boneyard, and Wilderness Explorers, that's a big chunk of time right there.

Personally, my kids have never had a problem with ITTBAB. I think the things that freak kids out the most are the stingers and the spiders dropping down from the ceiling; I had my kids sit forward in the seat so they couldn't feel the stingers.
Oh good to know. My daughter is terrified of bees and wasps so it's probably good to skip for us even if she didn't feel them. Seeing them is enough to freak her out lol.

Cosmic Commando

Oh good to know. My daughter is terrified of bees and wasps so it's probably good to skip for us even if she didn't feel them. Seeing them is enough to freak her out lol.
I don't think you see them, but the villain orders them to "attack", and the seat backs make it feel like you're being poked by a stinger. If you can't feel it (because you're not sitting back in the seat), it's not a big deal. If your daughter is afraid, though, it may not be worth chancing.

Edit: Walking the trails on Discovery Island is a good way to appreciate the tree up close if you're not going to see the movie. The entrance near the bridge to Africa gives a nice walk.

ELG13

Original Poster
So I think I'm thinking of it too much as a theme park but after reading online, it's closer to zoo with rides...which makes sense and totally make me feel like we will have plenty to do without the craziness of MK. We have 3 days at mk this trip so I have a feeling the change of pace/ scenery will be much appreciated by everyone in the group!

AmandaS.

I don't think you see them, but the villain orders them to "attack", and the seat backs make it feel like you're being poked by a stinger. If you can't feel it (because you're not sitting back in the seat), it's not a big deal. If your daughter is afraid, though, it may not be worth chancing.

Edit: Walking the trails on Discovery Island is a good way to appreciate the tree up close if you're not going to see the movie. The entrance near the bridge to Africa gives a nice walk.
I never felt the stinger in the back, the problem for my daughter, even after she jumped on my lap, was that they "shot" the stingers at you, and you see it coming at you in 3d, and at the same time they shoot air at your face. When this started the theater was full of screaming kids. Mine included. She calmed down eventually, but she's almost 6 now, and still talks about how she hates that movie.

ELG13

Original Poster
I never felt the stinger in the back, the problem for my daughter, even after she jumped on my lap, was that they "shot" the stingers at you, and you see it coming at you in 3d, and at the same time they shoot air at your face. When this started the theater was full of screaming kids. Mine included. She calmed down eventually, but she's almost 6 now, and still talks about how she hates that movie.
Aww poor thing! We are gonna skip. My coworker has it for her 3 yo and I told her it is probably scary. She said she didn't remember it being scary when she went. I've warned her though lol!

ELG13

Original Poster
What time can I make them?? I have 5 am down but we are an hr behind them.. .so 6am Disney time???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom