Airline search sites - an observation

DarthVader

Sith Lord
As I look to book a flight, I noticed something, actually I noticed this long ago but I don't think I mentioned it here before.

Many of them are the same. Just look at Orbitz, travelocity, and Expedia. They present the same exact search dialog, no changes. The results are presented with the same screen. Its almost like they're one company or using a single service that has some slight branding changes from site to site

The return values are the same from these three as well though you can make the argument that they're only presenting what the airlines have available, but how they're presented is identical, which leads me to say they're from the same service or they're all owned by one.

Capto_Capture 2017-08-30_09-45-30_AM.png

Capto_Capture 2017-08-30_09-44-01_AM.png

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I haven't used any of those for a long time. I usually use kayak.com to look for flights, then book directly with the airline(s).

This. When these travel booking sites first came out it was possible to get flights for much cheaper than the airline offered. Now, however, the airlines almost always have the same fare as shown on the travel booking sites, and you get so much more flexibility when booking directly with the airline. I do the same for hotels, as well, if the hotel website has a comparable price.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I haven't used any of those for a long time. I usually use kayak.com to look for flights, then book directly with the airline(s).
I've used kayak in the past and I'm looking a creating my own "hacker" fare, in that I book a one way trip with one airline and then book the return flight home with another.

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

American airlines for example I have found fares as cheap as $80 going to Orlando from Los Angeles directly on the site. The travel sites never show the cheap flights

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As someone already pointed out, all three sites are owned by the same company. Expedia, Inc. actually owns Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, trivago, Venere, Travelocity, Orbitz, and HomeAway.

This is becoming more and more of a thing across all business. Roughly 10 companies control the food industry, half a dozen control media, Luxottica controls about 80% of the eyeglass and sunglass market, 4 major banks control the rest and there is even crossover between industries.

It all boils down to choice and competition in the marketplace being largely an illusion.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom