Agree or disagree about Hollywood Studios?

BrerWayne

Yeah volume maybe but completely disjointed. Sorry but GMR is a game changer to me. Don't even know what the park is now. Are they still using Chinese theater facade for runaway train ride?? Park will be fun but nothing pulling it together. Even the two predominant motifs Star Wars and Pixar have zero commonality other than being great movie franchises.
No more Animation. No more backlot. No more GMR. Not headliners but really the DNA of what WAS a park about "the Hollywood that never was and always will be...". Now it's about cool attractions from cool movies. Cool.
Agree 100%. Don't get me wrong I think the park will be fun, and I will attend, but there really is no theme left. I will say that I am grateful and excited for all of the new attractions coming.

setsurinvich

Agree 100%. Don't get me wrong I think the park will be fun, and I will attend, but there really is no theme left. I will say that I am grateful and excited for all of the new attractions coming.
couldnt the claim there is "no theme" apply to the magic kingdom and all the parks based on it?

Disagree. The park will still be incomplete both thematically, in terms of Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land along with Hollywood/Sunset vs what will be left of Animation Courtyard and the still-anchored-by-Star-Tours Echo Lake, as well as in number of attractions. The only way this park serves as full day experience is due to the capacity problems it'll have at the time. The identity of the park will be half and half in terms of what they are going for with the movie lands vs the pieces of the park that will serve as future space to repurpose.

couldn't the same be said for animal kingdom being a half day park even with the Avatar expansion and the only way if becomes full day is because of lines

Last edited:

Jeff456

No Epcot will still be my favourite... At least I hope it well be it depends how much of future world or "the front of the park" as it's now called is destroyed...

LMSB

It makes me sad that DHS has changed so much.. I have nothing but great memories there throughout the 90's & early 00's. (Minus that huge sorcerer hat, EEK!) Last time I was there was in July of 2007, and my sister & I spent one morning & one afternoon there (during a five day stay). We did all of our favorites- TOT, Rock n roller coaster, Muppet 3d, Voyage of the Little Mermaid & the Great Movie Ride. The closing of gmr REALLY makes me sad.. that was always a family favorite of ours. Actually read the thread about it closing just this morning (haven't been on here since the end of last month, started a new job & putting my house up for sale) My husband & I are heading down Oct 26 for a week, so we'll be too late for a final ride..

Smiley/OCD

It's a zoo with some rides. Busch Gardens did the concept better.

Even Kilimanjaro Safaris is a tad bit lackluster, given that I live only 40 minutes away from a very similar experience...and at Global Wildlife Center, you can actually touch and feed the animals on safari.
Global-Wildlife-Center-LA-62-Low-res.jpg
Yeah, until one of the animals takes a guest's finger or hand off...

Chef Mickey

It's a zoo with some rides. Busch Gardens did the concept better.

Even Kilimanjaro Safaris is a tad bit lackluster, given that I live only 40 minutes away from a very similar experience...and at Global Wildlife Center, you can actually touch and feed the animals on safari.
Global-Wildlife-Center-LA-62-Low-res.jpg
Feeding a giraffe from your hand out of a car window is not a better concept. It's ridiculous and completely unnatural. Disney shows you giraffes on a "savannah" and at least attempt to show you them in a makeshift natural environment, but showing you more natural behaviors.

Not to mention crazy liability and potential for guest injury, mistreatment of animals, among other things.

NeedMoreMickey

Don't think it will be my favorite but it think the difference in the ranking of the parks are getting closer for me. I'm getting past the need of thrill rides as mentioned in another post I've retired from RocknRoll coaster and Space Mt so looking forward to the new family coaster.

Disone

Once the Star Wars and Toy Story expansions are complete, Hollywood Studios becomes the best park of the four. Agree or disagree?

I will go first. I don't think Hollywood Studios will ever give me that same wonderful feeling that I get whenever I am at Magic Kingdom or Epcot. In fact, I know that it won't. That said, with Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania, the two new attractions coming to Star Wars land, and the family friendly coaster coming to Toy Story land, I don't think any other park will even come close in terms of the sheer volume of top level attractions.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. What say you all?

Disagree. You should have had a poll, that would have been interesting. For me..... Rockin Roller Coaster will be match by Tron. Tower is matched by Haunted Mansion. Toy story..... you could go Buzz, and for most toy story will win that one. Star wars two need attractions will have to OUT MATCH MK's three Mountains, Space, Splash and Big Thunder. 7 Dwarfs will out match TS coaster. The Toy Alien claw ride (sorry I forgot the name) will likely beat the tea cups of the MK, but won't be nearly as classic. So MMRRR needs to counter measure to Jungle Cruise, Pirates, IASW... nope.... I think MK is going to have a comparable match +1 or more even after DHS opens.

CaptainJackNO

Once the Star Wars and Toy Story expansions are complete, Hollywood Studios becomes the best park of the four. Agree or disagree?

I will go first. I don't think Hollywood Studios will ever give me that same wonderful feeling that I get whenever I am at Magic Kingdom or Epcot. In fact, I know that it won't. That said, with Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania, the two new attractions coming to Star Wars land, and the family friendly coaster coming to Toy Story land, I don't think any other park will even come close in terms of the sheer volume of top level attractions.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. What say you all?

I think it will be tremendously improved, but MK and EPCOT have it beat. I think where DHS will continue to lack is the loss of, in my opinion, connection to its original purpose. MK and EPCOT still have that.

MissPixie

I am really indifferent with the whole thing. I'm not much of a Star Wars fan , but my boyfriend loves it. All that really matters for me in respects to Hollywood Studios is if The Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania, The Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Fantasmic, and I really enjoyed the Music of Pixar Live Symphony this past trip remains. They can pretty much do with the other attractions as please please and turn them into Toy Story and Star Wars if they feel that will attract more guests. In my honest opinion it will attract more guests right off the bat, but the novelty will wear off and the crowds will go back to normal. The same will also show for the Animal Kingdom and Pandora. Don't get me wrong that was beautiful and the Flight of Passage ride was brilliant, but it will wear off at some point. Pandora(Avatar) is not like the Harry Potter franchise and the craze that will continue with that for a long time. Plus they are looking to expand that as well.

_caleb

Oh you are soooo right. I cannot understand how this ever got approved as Disney animation in the first place. Ive said it before, Walt would never let this mess get out to the viewers. The character drawings are poor quality, the content of the clips are horrible, and nothing measures up to Disney standards.

Hmm. I disagree. I LOVE Paul Rudish's take on Mickey for the shorts! It's a modern, but somehow retro approach that updates Mickey and Friends for a new generation while actually being more true to Walt's original Mickey (who had a personality!). The new look is great for slapstick-heavy shorts that are so reminiscent of the classic shorts. Mickey is mischievous, the new Goofy brings to mind Dippy Dawg, and all the characters seem to be a little more expressive than the recent style.

Don't get me wrong- I don't think Disney should abandon the classic style altogether for Rudish's look. I just like the convention of having different Mickey's for different things: The 3D GC Mickey for Mickey Mouse Playhouse, and classic Mickey for t-shirts, logos, and corporate stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for this ride.

Keith2426

I will always have fond memories of MGM Studios. The closing of GMR is very disheartening. GMR is a classic and I highly doubt the new Mickey attraction will fill the void left by the GMR. Im hoping that the changes and new additions to the park will revitalize this once great park but I won't hold my breath. Toy Story Land looks very underwhelming and boring. In my opinion the Magic Kingdom and Epcot will always be the best parks in WDW.

Fox&Hound

For me, it goes:

1. MK. Always #1
2. I think it will be DHS (or whatever they name it). That ride count will be fantastic and I am so excited about Star Wars, Toy Story, and Mickey. Not to mention they already have some great e-tickets in RnRc and ToT.
3 Epcot
4. AK- now I have yet to experience Avatarland (going in Dec and cannot wait) but I still feel lile it needs some more rides to round it out. I always enjoy AK but to me it feels the most un-Disney. Not sure if this makes sense. I do not need Mickey Mouse or other animated characters around every corner but to me, this park feels like a zoo that could be owned by anyone. I wish they would bring back the parade or even have a few more characters to meet so u felt like you were in a Disney park.

rk03221

After going to Disneyland and Cal Adventure and coming back to visit WDW, it is so dated. Everything (Except MK) is really showing its age and I dont feel any sort of connections to the parks like I used to. Its really sad, I used to LOVE WDW but I just cant go to any other park besides MK. Literally almost everything in Epcot is still in the 80s-90s, DHS is a construction nightmare, AK is still okay I guess. I know that they are adding all this new stuff which is great, but Disneyland is way better

BoarderPhreak

Disagree. A few rides (even a land) does not a park make. Especially IP add-ons.

MK and EC will always be my favorites, and HS my least (with AK in the middle). Besides, I'm a Star Trek fan - not Star Wars. :p

Matt_Black

Hmm. I disagree. I LOVE Paul Rudish's take on Mickey for the shorts! It's a modern, but somehow retro approach that updates Mickey and Friends for a new generation while actually being more true to Walt's original Mickey (who had a personality!). The new look is great for slapstick-heavy shorts that are so reminiscent of the classic shorts. Mickey is mischievous, the new Goofy brings to mind Dippy Dawg, and all the characters seem to be a little more expressive than the recent style.

Don't get me wrong- I don't think Disney should abandon the classic style altogether for Rudish's look. I just like the convention of having different Mickey's for different things: The 3D GC Mickey for Mickey Mouse Playhouse, and classic Mickey for t-shirts, logos, and corporate stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for this ride.

I particularly like the "globe-trotting" aspect of the shorts. They've stuck Mickey in Brazil, Korea, Japan, Mexico, etc. Sometimes not a word of English appears in the cartoon (like the most recent short) and yet you can still know EXACTLY what's happening. That takes immense talent in storytelling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom