After 40 years the building is themed!

dstrawn9889

using the utilidoors, it would have to go to a chiller, havent seen an evap cloud around MK though, just less problematic IMHO to use AC then run miles of chilled water lines out, but then again there has to be exchangers and that could be what we see as 15 0r 20 'ton ac units, the heat exchangers and blowers.

Timon

The Magic Kingdom uses a chilled water system for air conditioning. The chilled water comes from the Central Energy Plant across the street from the Monorail Shop. All that is needed is coil and blower at each location. FYI: The Contemporary, TTC, and Poly are on the system, don't know about GFL

dstrawn9889

i thought that through in my post, just no used to not seeing evaporation clouds, got some mean ones that i see daily going to work from i 75 in macon, North.
51113-d.jpg

not actual picture, but this is what it looks like on a clear day... and it is all just steam

Tom

Beta Return
Looks like Philharmagic to me...But I could be mistaken.
View attachment 55382

It appears you are correct. Based on the roofing materials, that section would indeed correlate to Philharmagic. The HoP building seems too small now, or perhaps the stage and house share a roof.

I wonder if those two penthouses have always been there, or if they were added when it was converted to Philharmagic. If they were always there, they may be smoke dampers or just mechanical penthouses of some kind.

Wouldn't most mechanical's be in the utilidors?

Possibly. Or some mixture. You can clearly see rooftop units on a lot of the ride buildings if you go through google maps, so Disney doesn't shy away from this application.

Right - they use a mix of both in the MK. Some air handlers on on the roof, some in the basement.

using the utilidoors, it would have to go to a chiller, havent seen an evap cloud around MK though, just less problematic IMHO to use AC then run miles of chilled water lines out, but then again there has to be exchangers and that could be what we see as 15 0r 20 'ton ac units, the heat exchangers and blowers.

The Magic Kingdom uses a chilled water system for air conditioning. The chilled water comes from the Central Energy Plant across the street from the Monorail Shop. All that is needed is coil and blower at each location. FYI: The Contemporary, TTC, and Poly are on the system, don't know about GFL

Yes, the MK uses primarily chilled water and steam. The giant supply and return lines run due north from the main tunnel entrance, under the tracks and moat, under the fireworks launch site, and pop up just north of Floridian Way.

Rob562

I wonder if those two penthouses have always been there, or if they were added when it was converted to Philharmagic. If they were always there, they may be smoke dampers or just mechanical penthouses of some kind.

To the best of my knowledge, they were added during the Philharmagic install.

-Rob

Slowjack

Interesting. That seems like a big expense just to have two sections of proscenium fly out without telescoping.
Yes, but that's the kind of thing we love about Disney, isn't it? If this is the real reason behind the little penthouses, it's similar to the American Adventure, which has a rooftop structure just to allow the curtain to rise as a unit without wrinkling.

George Lucas on a Bench

To say nothing of the quality of the rest of the new Fantasyland, I think the area photographed on the last page looks kind of awful. It looks like a huge open area of grey pavement surrounded by grey buildings. Admittedly, huge open areas are everywhere in WDW, but could they not plant some trees, shrubs, flowers...? Despite it getting cramped when it's crowded, I still think Disneyland's is totally superior.

Otamin

To say nothing of the quality of the rest of the new Fantasyland, I think the area photographed on the last page looks kind of awful. It looks like a huge open area of grey pavement surrounded by grey buildings. Admittedly, huge open areas are everywhere in WDW, but could they not plant some trees, shrubs, flowers...? Despite it getting cramped when it's crowded, I still think Disneyland's is totally superior.
Fantasyland is definitely superior in Disneyland (as evident by the picture below), but we'll just have to put up with it sadly.

bavarian-village-fantasyland-disneyland.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Dare I mention Paris even has a canal down the centre of Fantasyland?

View attachment 58851
I love it! DLP has a body of water in the middle of every land. It is lovely, water is always calming and pleasant.

However, as always, neither DL nor DLP are any match beautywise for vintage MK Fantasyland. The MK Fantasyland had a moat with boat ride in front of the castle, a large lake with the best underwater ride ever, and a stream with waterfalls in a foresty Alpine subland, plus fountains. Personally I think nearly every subsequent intervention has made FL worse, certainly less coherent, but at least the NFL has returned some water features.

Skyway%2005.jpg

The Empress Lilly

I remember that the rooftops of FL were distinctly unmagical from the Skyway. (Always a bit of a disappointment!)

But has the Philharmagic rooftop always been entirely unthemed? I don't remember. It probably was. However, I do know of other areas of FL having lost some of their theming over the years:
Imgineering-Disney_THEN-AND-NOW_Fantasyland-3.jpg

Bolt

I remember that the rooftops of FL were distinctly unmagical from the Skyway. (Always a bit of a disappointment!)

But has the Philharmagic rooftop always been entirely unthemed? I don't remember. It probably was. However, I do know of other areas of FL having lost some of their theming over the years:
Imgineering-Disney_THEN-AND-NOW_Fantasyland-3.jpg
The walls came down on this less a week ago and I assume hasn't been completed. They take scaffolding down in congested areas when major construction is complete to help with guest pinch points. The part next to Pinocchio's has been themed to match the new castle wall theme.

KingdomofDreams

or throw the ones down below in the trash and give us a village inspired thatch roof with aged lighting and wood...a nice oak will do.

This.^

And while they're at it, give us some trees and flowers and more water features.

ETA: Not exactly like the ones pictured in the previous post though... :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom