Africa Marketplace expansion coming to Harambe at Disney's Animal Kingdom

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, May 21. Before Harambe Marketplace opens tomorrow, here is one additional photo taken from the Wildlife Express train as it enters Harambe station. The back of one of the new buildings (facing the train track) has a new sign.

IMG_5451.JPG

Mouse_Trap

Photo update as of Thursday, May 21. Before Harambe Marketplace opens tomorrow, here is one additional photo taken from the Wildlife Express train as it enters Harambe station. The back of one of the new buildings (facing the train track) has a new sign.

View attachment 93794

I like the way they got the character wrong, yet it's clear what it's supposed to be. Just how you expect to see third-party knock off Disney imagery and merchandise.

Clamman73

People call me crazy, but these are the types of reasons why I say DAK is closing in on MK. Obviously it has a long way to go in terms of rides, but in terms of theme? MK is blown out of the water imo. MK is a mix of everything and doesn't flow well. DAK flows perfectly and slowly it is coming into it's own and gaining more small (and larger scale) attractions.

For me, DAK is tied with Epcot right now only because it doesn't have a nighttime show yet. Once RoL opens, the ToL show, nighttime Safaris, etc, I expect this park to pass Epcot in my personal rankings.
You're not...it's becoming the dark horse in my four Parks ranking race...

jt04

The thing that struck me also, as noted by flyerjab, is at 2:04 in the video. Wildlife Express now serves a greater, more interesting purpose than the train ride itself, adding kinetics and authenticity to the town.

Yep. And perhaps a new loading platform someday. A certain insider hinted at such expansion possibilities hisownself even before pandora.

Amazing addition to DAK.

jt04

People call me crazy, but these are the types of reasons why I say DAK is closing in on MK. Obviously it has a long way to go in terms of rides, but in terms of theme? MK is blown out of the water imo. MK is a mix of everything and doesn't flow well. DAK flows perfectly and slowly it is coming into it's own and gaining more small (and larger scale) attractions.

For me, DAK is tied with Epcot right now only because it doesn't have a nighttime show yet. Once RoL opens, the ToL show, nighttime Safaris, etc, I expect this park to pass Epcot in my personal rankings.

DAK, IMO, reflects a lot of lessons learned in theme park design. Ones you may see reflected in the new Shanghai park. And the MK could get a makeover of sorts to mimic some of what you see happening at DAK but the crowds are already overwhelming the MK. Better to fix the other 3 parks first then figure out the MK. That seems like what is happening to me.

Universal needs to get busier if the want to keep up.

Next Big Thing

Universal needs to get busier if the want to keep up.
There is definitely a level of truth to this, and I don't often agree with you.

Yes, Uni's numbers are increasing at a much higher rate than Disney's, but the difference is WDW is already so built out and known as a resort destination (simply referring to the resort destination part... yes, 3 of 4 parks could stand some help).

Uni isn't known as a destination resort (at least for a full week), and their numbers were in the toilet when Potter opened. It's much easier to show large increases when your numbers are smaller to begin with than if you are working with large numbers and still looking at ways to find gains.

That's not taking away from Uni. All of their additions since Comcast took over have been fantastic, but i'm just trying to bring some perspective to the increases Uni is seeing.

flyerjab

So, does something like an African Marketplace soft open? Or is this area simply opened on the date it is advertised as officially opening, which is tomorrow?

Next Big Thing

So, does something like an African Marketplace soft open? Or is this area simply opened on the date it is advertised as officially opening, which is tomorrow?
I had originally heard the 22nd for an opening. I know the recent Blog post said the 23rd so it may or may not open today.

It's definitely ready, CM previews started back on the 18th.

Fox&Hound

Can't wait to see pics and video when it opens. Hadn't even thought about the train and what it adds to theming. Maybe now I'll have more love for the train. Still wish it served as a greater purpose- travel the park, go to AK lodge, something. Maybe they will spruce up the wildlife station a bit? Either way, love what they are doing with this area.

I think I could spend a lot of time in Africa just looking at the scenery. As it once stood, Africa was a man walkway and it was difficult to really take it all in as you are being pushed along. Now with the theatre district and this new marketplace, I love that you will be able to find a seat and enjoy the immersive theming.

Awesome, Disney!

Next Big Thing

By the one that doesn't need help- do you mean MK?

Because if so, I disagree. DAK is the only one that doesn't need help right now (obviously- once ROL/Avatar open).
MK is fine, as is, regarding the number of attractions- but needs some serious maintenance on those attractions- and some replaced (looking at you yesterdayland). MK definitely needs help.

So long people (and myself) have thought it's MK that's perfect as is- and the other 3 parks that need help. I feel now its DAK is fine as is- MK is ok but needs maintenance- and the other two... oh, the other two...
I agree MK needs help. Tomorrowland could use a total revamp. But by doing another MK project, it just drives more people to a park that already has capacity issues.

DHS obviously needs the most help, but DAK still needs a second major expansion before i'd consider the park good for awhile as far as being where it should be capacity wise and with rides. While the park flows great, has amazing theming and is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to TDS in the US, it still is majorly underbuilt. For a park over 15 years old, to not even have 10 actual rides (even when Avatar is done) is very underwhelming. Now of course, DAK is unique in that it provides high quality shows and animal exhibits, but people want rides too.

Build an Australia section, redo Dino-Rama and then the park will truly be in great shape.

Next Big Thing

I agree completely. But if I'm ranking the needs- I would put DHS then epcot FW- those two would help eleviate pressure from MK- and then I'd fix MK's annoyances before expanding at DAK. Space Mountain, pirates, etc- it just pains me to have that stuff so poorly maintained. MK is the showcase of WDW, and I'd rather fix those problems before creating a new land at a park that is pretty solid as-is (DAK).
Different strokes, I guess. :)
Oh, I agree 100% that DHS and FW are the big weak spots of WDW right now. I'd love to see some projects go on simultaneously, but Disney doesn't seem to like to do much of that anymore. :(

And improving MK or DAK, either would be fine as far as i'm concerned as they are my two favorite parks. I guess i'm just a bit biased since I love DAK haha. I am really hoping that the Tomorrowland film does really good and they work an overall upgrade of the land to fit more in line with the film. Even if they just updated so that the land used the film's aesthetics, I think that would be great. The film truly is beautiful.

Kman101

There is definitely a level of truth to this, and I don't often agree with you.

Yes, Uni's numbers are increasing at a much higher rate than Disney's, but the difference is WDW is already so built out and known as a resort destination (simply referring to the resort destination part... yes, 3 of 4 parks could stand some help).

Uni isn't known as a destination resort (at least for a full week), and their numbers were in the toilet when Potter opened. It's much easier to show large increases when your numbers are smaller to begin with than if you are working with large numbers and still looking at ways to find gains.

That's not taking away from Uni. All of their additions since Comcast took over have been fantastic, but i'm just trying to bring some perspective to the increases Uni is seeing.

This. I think more need to remember this aspect.

I love all of what Uni is doing. I got an annual pass for the first time in 7 years. I went yesterday and just loved the increased crowds and how active it is and how it feels alive again. I miss a lot of old school Universal and I think they are relying a bit too much on the screens but in terms of attractions, they've done some great work.

But I agree completely with your post. Universal is being touted (a bit *too* much at times IMO) but they HAD to go up. Unfortunately, WDW had their boom. Their problem now is they don't add things quickly enough. There's no reason MK should be bursting at the seams, still, and why DHS and Epcot are in such a sad state (not saying you're excusing them, just giving that as an example).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom