Afraid to fly???

alilance

Original Poster
You watch- a year or so from now she will be flying all over the world and thinking about getting a private pilot's license.

Something funny that I noticed: Click on her public profile and look at what's listed for her favorite attraction. It's Soar'n.

:)
I think Soarin' is just a TAD BIT DIFFERENT!!!!!!!:p

alilance

Original Poster
I am in the same boat as you. I am severly phobic when it comes to flying, down to having panic attacks on board. I've had this problem since I was 14. I have cancelled many vacations because of it.

I drive to Florida most of the time, from Pittsburgh, which takes about 15 hours. I realize I'm more at risk, but that has never seemed to effect me. Driving doesn't put me into a panic state.

When I do HAVE to fly, which I did in January & will do again in July, these are the only things that help me.

First and foremost, visit www.fearofflying.com - the support there is endless and amazing. Captain Tom is wonderful, and so is his program. I've done it, and it does for sure help. I always need a refresher right before I fly. Even if you just read the forums there, it will help you.

Second, whenever you fly, ask to meet the pilot before you take off. This is the number one most helpful thing for me. Tell him or her your flying concerns, they will help ease your mind. Knowing who is behind the controls is really comforting. Then throughout the flight, the attendants should check on you & the pilot should give you updates if there will be bumps or whatnot. Knowing there's a fearful flyer onboard, this is typically what they do, but not always.

If you have any other questions, send me a message. I've been where you are many times, I know exactly how you feel. It's a constant battle, but you can get through it :)

Jamie
Thanks a lot!! I'll definitely check out that site!! Good luck to you too on your upcoming vacations!!!! :)

sublimesting

Drink up and bring a very good book. I fly alot and if reading a good book, you'll forget your even flying.

I've had the hell scared out of me though landing and not realizing we were about to land. That ever happen to anyone else?

Disney05

Why don't you try this. Go visit a flight school in your area. If you want to pm me I can help you find one. You don't have to fly, just walk around some planes with a flight instructor and ask questions. You'll be happy to find out just how safe it is up there. I've been a pilot for a long time. I'm a manager at a very large flight school. If you have any questions let me now.

yankspy

Drink up and bring a very good book. I fly alot and if reading a good book, you'll forget your even flying.

I've had the hell scared out of me though landing and not realizing we were about to land. That ever happen to anyone else?

That has happened to me a few times when I was sleeping and the landing woke me up. I have also had a smoke alarm go off during final descent because a woman decided to have a cigarette in the bathroom. Let me tell ya, when you hear an alarm on a plane the last thing that you think is that someone is smoking. Let's just say she was not so popular for the remainder of the flight.:wave:

AirTran has free XM satellite radio right on your armrest in all of their planes. It has over 100 channels of (commercial free!!) music and news and sports, etc. That always helps me calm down during takeoff, which is my least favorite part of flying. Also, the radio is available at all times. At the gate, take off, in flight, and landing. They even provide headphones (albeit, not very good ones).

C&D

If you really don't want to fly, and you rather not drive all the way, you might want to look into the autotrain. It leaves from Virginia and arrives in Florida. Google would be your friend if you're interested in looking into it.

celebrat

If you really don't want to fly, and you rather not drive all the way, you might want to look into the autotrain. It leaves from Virginia and arrives in Florida. Google would be your friend if you're interested in looking into it.

I agree. I prefer the train to flying. If you can't take the train, like so many others already said I would get a sedative:)

My dad was a private pilot and I grew up flying everywhere instead of driving. It was second nature to me and I was never afraid. Now I can't even THINK about getting on a plane, I'm so afraid of flying. I know it's irrational, but even though my dad tells me the most dangerous part of any flight is the drive to the airport, I hate flying. Good luck!!

farmgirl

My husband and i take along a small portable DVD player and we buy the next season of Dallas that we have not seen. Good ol J.R. Ewing will take your mind off of anything!!!:ROFLOL:

BenS

I used to have the exact same problem. Whenever we hit any turbulence I would practically go into a fetal position. Instead of being excited, I was terrified on the first day, just because I was so worried about the flight.

I asked a doctor about it and he gave me a drug called Lorazepam. I take two pills an hour before takeoff and I'm absolutely fine! Sadly I haven't gotten back to the World since getting this med, but I've flown four times since for other reasons and now I can just be bored out of my mind like everyone else!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I suspect some folks are reading this and thinking "taking pills is bad!"

Well, compared to irrational fear, being on pills is a-ok. Seriously, drunk makes you feel crappy afterwards, while taking a prescription drug has minimal side effects and you're still able to think and operate.

Disney05

Just checked out Amtrack. Athough it takes about 24hrs from Penn Station in NY, the cost for the 4 of us is just slightly more than I usually pay for a Southwest ticket. May be something for you to look in to.

Disney_Belle

I have flown 86 times in my life and I am only 24, and people are usually very shocked to find out how much I HATE flying. I shouldn't say I hate it, but the whole night before, and day of my flight I cannot eat or anything because I am so nervous I might :hurl:. But then once I get on the plane and am greeted by the flight crew and just remind myself they do this EVERY day, then I am ok. I just try to read a magazine or book before we take off and keep myself busy and just remind myself that I am going to WDW!!! (I used to fly to NC all the time to visit family, but now if I am flying, its usually to go to WDW).

Flight anxiety in my opinion comes from the fact that we have no control over it. Not being able to see what is happening in the cockpit, and if you feel panicked you can't just "pull over" as you can in a car. Also in a car your not sitting with 100 and something strangers either.

However it is much safer than driving, and I try to keep that in mind. And so much quicker!!! The 3 hour flight I take from Providence to Orlando, is shorter than half of the work day!

Just try to remind yourself that you are on the safest means of transportation, and as people suggested before, try to talk to the flight crew, it really does help to know that these people do this every day, and it doesn't bother them. Try reading and listening to music to keep your mind off of it.

Oh and if you come across some turbulence, just close your eyes and pretend to be on an old bumpy dirt road (or for anyone in Massachusetts, its just like driving over our beloved gift from the state, potholes).

Disney_Belle

My cousin and I were flying to NC, and we had to switch planes in Philly. Both times we landed, he wasn't prepared, and screamed like a little girl lol. It was hilarious, and everyone else on the plane thought so too.

I agree, reading a book is a great way to relax and forget that you are flying. I usually try to find a Disney related book on my way to WDW, and before you know it, your in Orlando!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom