Afraid to fly???

alilance

Original Poster
I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about what to do if you are deathly afraid of flying. I hate flying more than anything in this world. Going on vacation and going to Disney World is the only thing that will actually get me on a plane. I was hoping I could get some help on what I should do this time around!?! Please help!!!:confused:

figmentisgreat

What I do is get myself super prepared for the trip. I load my favorite disney songs onto my iPod and listen to them over and over again in the airport, and then on the plane. Just thinking about Disney and using that as my motivation gets me through. Also, I read during take off and landing because then there is something for me to focus on. I'm not saying that I'm perfectly fine when I do this, but I've gotten to the point where I only cry at takeoff and landing now. I used to be nearly hysterical the entire time.

Download an IPOD or other portable player with all your Disney music. When the plane starts to depart, put on your earphones and listen to the music and think happy Disney thoughts and relax and try to go to sleep. Think about how many days you did not have to spend driving and how quickly you will be ready to play! Bring your Disney planning book to read. Before you know it, the flight will be over and you will be at WDW That's what I do. Maybe it will help you too.

NadieMasK2

I have a friend who is also terribly afraid of flying. Her doctor prescribes Valium for her to relax her. Works like a charm. I suppose a few glasses of Chardonnay at the airport would also do the trick. It's not the answer for everyone, but maybe something to consider. :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about what to do if you are deathly afraid of flying. I hate flying more than anything in this world. Going on vacation and going to Disney World is the only thing that will actually get me on a plane. I was hoping I could get some help on what I should do this time around!?! Please help!!!:confused:

To get over my fear I went to the Dr's - per other people's recommendation - she gave me a mild sedative. I popped a pill after i got through security, stressed out a bit but didn't freak out, then on the plane after take off i was able to sleep. After that I managed to be good for the rest of my transfers and flights. Nervous, but not irrationally afraid.

After a period of no flights, i did the same again because i knew i was freaking out. Currently i fly way too often to even become freaked out.

Fly an airline like Continental for your first flight, so that it's all professional
and high class. Seriously, discount airlines don't have the polished feel of the big names, and that properness can be reassuring. Once you're used to flying you realize it's all just a show though, so then you can start flying the cheap airlines.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
What I do is get myself super prepared for the trip. I load my favorite disney songs onto my iPod and listen to them over and over again in the airport, and then on the plane. Just thinking about Disney and using that as my motivation gets me through. Also, I read during take off and landing because then there is something for me to focus on. I'm not saying that I'm perfectly fine when I do this, but I've gotten to the point where I only cry at takeoff and landing now. I used to be nearly hysterical the entire time.

I used to be too freaked out to do anything, but i did start listening to music and that helps - though i think personal ipods are supposed to be off during takeoff, so find an airline that has music channels.

After a few flights i found looking at new cities to be fascinating. The final descent still freaks me out a little, but during the general approach i try to look for iconic buildings and explore the various features of a city.

jemlover

It also might help if you can find a direct flight. That way you only have one takeoff and landing. The takeoffs and landings are usually the most stressful parts of the flight.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It also might help if you can find a direct flight. That way you only have one takeoff and landing. The takeoffs and landings are usually the most stressful parts of the flight.

I refer to them as "underpleasant" and grit my teeth. Landings still freak me out a little.

Oh, bring gum to pop the ears. Nothing worse then pain on a flight.

RiversideBunny

:lol: What's gotten into you today Bunny?:lol:

You watch- a year or so from now she will be flying all over the world and thinking about getting a private pilot's license.

Something funny that I noticed: Click on her public profile and look at what's listed for her favorite attraction. It's Soar'n.

:)

RedGear

bring gum something to keep your mind busy, and take dramamine, that usually helps take the edge off a little especially if you hit turbulance (don't get the less drowsy stuff, just get the normal stuff)
I hate flying too, I'm ok once we take off but landing and take off freak me out too.

DizneyPryncess

I am in the same boat as you. I am severly phobic when it comes to flying, down to having panic attacks on board. I've had this problem since I was 14. I have cancelled many vacations because of it.

I drive to Florida most of the time, from Pittsburgh, which takes about 15 hours. I realize I'm more at risk, but that has never seemed to effect me. Driving doesn't put me into a panic state.

When I do HAVE to fly, which I did in January & will do again in July, these are the only things that help me.

First and foremost, visit www.fearofflying.com - the support there is endless and amazing. Captain Tom is wonderful, and so is his program. I've done it, and it does for sure help. I always need a refresher right before I fly. Even if you just read the forums there, it will help you.

Second, whenever you fly, ask to meet the pilot before you take off. This is the number one most helpful thing for me. Tell him or her your flying concerns, they will help ease your mind. Knowing who is behind the controls is really comforting. Then throughout the flight, the attendants should check on you & the pilot should give you updates if there will be bumps or whatnot. Knowing there's a fearful flyer onboard, this is typically what they do, but not always.

If you have any other questions, send me a message. I've been where you are many times, I know exactly how you feel. It's a constant battle, but you can get through it :)

Jamie

yankspy

I am in the same boat as you. I am severly phobic when it comes to flying, down to having panic attacks on board. I've had this problem since I was 14. I have cancelled many vacations because of it.

I drive to Florida most of the time, from Pittsburgh, which takes about 15 hours. I realize I'm more at risk, but that has never seemed to effect me. Driving doesn't put me into a panic state.

When I do HAVE to fly, which I did in January & will do again in July, these are the only things that help me.

First and foremost, visit www.fearofflying.com - the support there is endless and amazing. Captain Tom is wonderful, and so is his program. I've done it, and it does for sure help. I always need a refresher right before I fly. Even if you just read the forums there, it will help you.

Second, whenever you fly, ask to meet the pilot before you take off. This is the number one most helpful thing for me. Tell him or her your flying concerns, they will help ease your mind. Knowing who is behind the controls is really comforting. Then throughout the flight, the attendants should check on you & the pilot should give you updates if there will be bumps or whatnot. Knowing there's a fearful flyer onboard, this is typically what they do, but not always.

If you have any other questions, send me a message. I've been where you are many times, I know exactly how you feel. It's a constant battle, but you can get through it :)

Jamie

I think meeting the Pilot can be a big help. I had a fear of flying when I was a kid but then I flew in the jumpseat a few times (which I am sure you cannot do now) and it was a different experience. It helps when you can actually see the calm demeanor of the crew as you hit turbulence. It was somehow reassuring to see that they were not worried.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom