Advice with first Cruise.

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
Hi Doug, as you can tell, it's a very personal decision about the length that people would recommend for a first cruise. Here's my two cents. If you KNOW that your whole family loves WDW, but you're not sure if everyone will love the cruise, then I would highly recommend that you go with your first thought: 3 nights at WDW, combined with a 4 night cruise. It's very easy to arrange both with transfers. (You could do it yourself or have your travel agent do it for you.)

If, however, you do a little research and you decide that there's plenty for everyone to do and the whole family will enjoy the experience, then go with the longer sailing. You'll have more time to get used to the ship, see different shows, and you won't have to get off the ship in Nassau :)

If you told me that I could do only one trip during the year -- either a 7-night DCL sailing OR a land-and-sea combo -- I would be sad to miss out on WDW, but I would choose the longer itinerary. It's that good. But the answer for you really depends on your family.

On my last Disney cruise, we ran into a crew member (Inyo, he's a restaurant server) on Embarkation Day. We hadn't seen him for probably 3 or 4 years, and the first words out of his mouth were, "Where's Grandma?" He realized that my mother-in-law wasn't traveling with us and she had really liked him. We also had a crew member ask us about my dad one year, and we had to tell him that my dad had died; and the guy was genuinely sad. It amazes me how these people remember us time and time again, when they see so many thousands of faces every month.

Hi, thanks so much for your thoughts! Yes i know for sure that my entire family are huge WDW fans! I've been there 7 times, and would go much more often if i could...My wife had only been once before we took our daughter 3 years ago...we had an incredible time and needless to say she's now a huge fan. i mentioned my daughter (5), we took her at 2.5 years old and now will be going back this fall for her second trip, and my sons (2) first trip.

My wife has been saying and wanting for years to do a cruise, so i know she'll love the experience. (We've never been to a tropical island either). So this will be quite the experience to knock out multiple islands as well as the cruise itself, all on one trip. I was always skeptical about cruises, being as big a WDW fan that i am i always thought to myself "how could you possibly keep busy on a boat for a week". After doing some research and finding this forum, it sure seems like that won't be a problem.

Not going to Disney World won't be too upsetting, its always been an every few years type of trip for me anyway so after going this fall it won't be a big deal to not go next year.

Thats amazing, and i have heard that multiple times before. That really is incredible that they remember faces and sometimes names that long afterwards. I hope if and when we take our cruise that we have a great experience like that with the crew members. Thanks again for your help!!!

21stamps

Thanks for your input! i think we are definitely gonna go for the 7 night. Like you said, one of our biggest reasons for doing so is the extra (and seemingly) better destinations. Thanks again!
I've been reading along (our first DCL cruise will be in November of this year- Fantasy Western Caribbean), and I just wanted to say- I'm glad you're going with 7 nights! My first cruise was 16 years ago, and I never would have considered anything less than 7- mainly bc of as you mentioned- the itinerary.
A cruise ship is not the same as a boat, and truly the amount of people who get seasick on a cruise are the minority of travelers. You made a great choice!! My son is 6, and I know he'll love it.

If you're looking next fall then definitely look into either a Halloween or Christmas themed cruise!

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
I've been reading along (our first DCL cruise will be in November of this year- Fantasy Western Caribbean), and I just wanted to say- I'm glad you're going with 7 nights! My first cruise was 16 years ago, and I never would have considered anything less than 7- mainly bc of as you mentioned- the itinerary.
A cruise ship is not the same as a boat, and truly the amount of people who get seasick on a cruise are the minority of travelers. You made a great choice!! My son is 6, and I know he'll love it.

If you're looking next fall then definitely look into either a Halloween or Christmas themed cruise!

yes we'd love to do the Christmas themed cruise! our hope for our WDW trip this fall was to go in november to see the xmas decor, but we couldn't agree on a date in november/december with my sister and her family. So we'll be heading there in Oct. A Christmas cruise would be amazing! I don't think they have actually announced dates for the christmas themed trips for 2017, but from what I've read they decorate the ships at similar times as they do the parks (early november). So the cruise I'm looking to book for (Nov 25th) should definitely be a Christmas theme.

My daughter will be 6.5 by that time next year, so ill have to look out for what you say about your experience with your son...of course ill also have my son who will be right around 3 by that time, so that'll be a whole different battle haha. Thanks for your help!!!

21stamps

yes we'd love to do the Christmas themed cruise! our hope for our WDW trip this fall was to go in november to see the xmas decor, but we couldn't agree on a date in november/december with my sister and her family. So we'll be heading there in Oct. A Christmas cruise would be amazing! I don't think they have actually announced dates for the christmas themed trips for 2017, but from what I've read they decorate the ships at similar times as they do the parks (early november). So the cruise I'm looking to book for (Nov 25th) should definitely be a Christmas theme.

My daughter will be 6.5 by that time next year, so ill have to look out for what you say about your experience with your son...of course ill also have my son who will be right around 3 by that time, so that'll be a whole different battle haha. Thanks for your help!!!
Oh that date will be a Very Merrytime Cruise for sure!!! Ours is 11/26/16.

Someone may have told you this already, I learned the hard way- make sure that you book on or close to opening day for the best prices! It isn't like other cruise lines that come out with later specials. I booked it mid March, but I think the pricing comes out 6 months prior to that- you'll definitely save money.

BigRedDad

I have not cruised either, on any cruise line. What I have learned from people is there is so much to do like Disney World. They have all said the longer the better.

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
Oh that date will be a Very Merrytime Cruise for sure!!! Ours is 11/26/16.

Someone may have told you this already, I learned the hard way- make sure that you book on or close to opening day for the best prices! It isn't like other cruise lines that come out with later specials. I booked it mid March, but I think the pricing comes out 6 months prior to that- you'll definitely save money.

Sounds great to me!

Yes, I'm actually looking to book any day now. the prices are already out for all of 2016. I can't imagine it getting more and more expensive lol, the one we're looking at is already pushing 6k :hungover: lol yikes

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
A possibly silly question...again I'm a cruise rookie lol. When going on a port excursion like scuba diving, what do you do with personal items? things like wallets, purses, phones etc. I assume they have some sort of lockers or something to rent? Also, when arriving at a certain location, are the shuttles to get to your destination for the day provided by the cruise line or is that something you pay for seperately?

21stamps

Sounds great to me!

Yes, I'm actually looking to book any day now. the prices are already out for all of 2016. I can't imagine it getting more and more expensive lol, the one we're looking at is already pushing 6k :hungover: lol yikes
Fall 2017 should be as well. I booked a Wonder cruise for 10/17 on release day. I did not book a summer '2017 cruise bc the itinerary I wanted was such an obnoxious price!

As far as excursions- I haven't been on DCL yet, but I'm guessing their the same as every other line. If you book thru them then yes your transportation will be provided. Also with most outside companies, if you just want to do a place and find your own transportation you can do that as well.

Good luck and Happy Cruising!! :)

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
Fall 2017 should be as well. I booked a Wonder cruise for 10/17 on release day. I did not book a summer '2017 cruise bc the itinerary I wanted was such an obnoxious price!

As far as excursions- I haven't been on DCL yet, but I'm guessing their the same as every other line. If you book thru them then yes your transportation will be provided. Also with most outside companies, if you just want to do a place and find your own transportation you can do that as well.

Good luck and Happy Cruising!! :)

oops yeah i meant 2017. The rates are out for all of next year already. Im looking to book any day for november of 2017. thats what i meant by i can't imagine it continuing to go up in price since I'm 16 months out and its already pushing 6k lol.

What do you mean by if you book through them? I was planning on using my wife cousin who is a Disney travel agent but doesn't work directly for the Disney company. Would that still be ok? Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom