Advice on DVC

J

joviacdan

Well, maybe I should look into it then.

As of now, I'd like to make 2 trips a year, for 8 nights at a time. If it's going to work out better, maybe it'll be worth it.

BeachClubVillas

Originally posted by joviacdan
Well, maybe I should look into it then.

As of now, I'd like to make 2 trips a year, for 8 nights at a time. If it's going to work out better, maybe it'll be worth it.

Dear God, I converted one!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, you should definitely look into it. The tour itself is really cool and it's nice to be pampered for a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure the model is still at the Boardwalk so you can head over there and have some fun at the Boardwalk too!

J

joviacdan

On a side note, we're actually renting one of the studios at Old Key West in September for 5 nights, so maybe that will do more to convince me. Unfortunately, the prices for the weekend were astronomical, so we're staying at All Star Movies for 3 additional nights as well.

Honestly, if it works out to a good benefit, I am ALL over it. I mean, to be honest, I could care less about other vacations and other timeshare locations. As uncultured as it is, I take all my vacations at Disney World.

Nothing makes me happier than to be there, so why go anywhere else?

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by PhilharMagician
Thanks to DVC we will be looking at going twice per year.

So you know, with SSR you will have a 50 year ownership. Just watch out when purchasing resale points. Alot of people use all of their points and borrow as much as they can and then sell. You need to watch the resale market every day to get a good bargin. Then with OKW I believe you have a 40 year ownership. If someone has owned it for 10 years you will be down to 30 years. This may not make a difference to you.

A few notes here. Other other resorts are not a 40 year membership, it just ends the year 2042. If you joined in 1990 or 2004, it ends the same time. People who joined earilier got more out of it (and for many years OKW got free park tickets too, but that ended a few years ago.) Currenlty we as DVC member are really pushing for better park discounts, and DVC tells us they "hear us and are looking into an answer." Personally I think we should get FLA resident discounts, time will tell.

When they started work on SSR they knew time was running out, so they extended it 10 years, 50 from when it started. If you buy in 5 years, it still ends 2054, so you have 5 less years. I didn't understand this and thought it was 40 years from when you started when we bought, it was not until after I learned the deadline. No one really knows what will happen to the other resorts in 2042, I will be rather old by then and am not worrying about it, but guess there will be some way to buy in and extend your points if you wanted for family members or children.

One important thing to keep in mind is there are 2 DVC resorts off prop that are just wonderful places for vacations. I haven't tried Hilton Head yet, but recently went to Vero Beach and we are just in love with that place. What a great allertintive for a vacation, so much fun and relaxing, and every bit a deluxe Disney Quailty resort and vacation. Tons of activities and great accomoadations. Our 3 year old calls it Disney Beach. Just another option to keep in mind. (it only cost us 50 points for 5 nights, inn room ocean view Sun- Friday.) That comes out to around 250 for the whole week at 5$ a point.

If you love AS and PC, and mods, keep in mind you can stay there on the weekends to save some points (rooms are about double points on weekends, so far the only thing I am not thrilled about with DVC, but you can great around it.) Warning, once going DVC, you don't want to go back. Also a studio at OKW isn't a true example of DVC, we stayed 10 days in one and was not as impressed with it as BCV. (Some people are very faithful to OKW and call it ithe only true DVC resort.) The one and 2 bedrooms there are huge! They are really nice. Also the points are less at OKW. Persoanlly while OKW is a great resort, the layout makes it feel more like a mod resort then deluxe, with DVC rooms.

So many good points I really agree with on this thread, mostly look into it and really understand it before you buy. As said before www.disboards is a weath of understanding (with over a 1,000 active DVC members who really know the in's and out's of it.) One good thing about buying from Disney DVC is they guides really take their time in helping you understand every in and out of it. Even if you buy resale (say you really want BCV instead and it is all sold out) look into contacting DVC so they can help you understand it better. One rule of thumb is the sooner you do, the more enjoyment you get out of it.

I agree with PhilharMagician, espcially on the AP, and other ways to save money (you can do 2 trips within 12 months say, March, then Jan) and then take a year up to save points and money. ) Also the rooms themselves save you tons on food.

I really wish we had more points, (I was recenlty laid off) but since we are already DVC members, our WDW is set for the next 38 years and we don't have to give that up with buddget cuts. I think we will do resale for 50 to 100 points in 2 or so years.

edmali

I am not disputing DVC is good, but it is not as simple as some make it out to be.

One of the problems with DVC is if you like to go to WDW during busy times (e.g. Wine and Food Festival).

Even if you want to book at your home resort at the 11 month window. It is a challenge.

Let's say you want to stay for a week. You need to call EXACTLY at the 11 month window EACH DAY to make sure you get the room (seven phone calls) (like calling for Cinderella's breakfast 7 days in a row). You can't call at the 11 month window and book the entire 7 days.

IMO it is extremely important that your home resort is where you want to stay during the busy times of year. If you buyinto SSR and want to stay at BWV for the W&F festival, you can book only at the 7 month window. Chances are slim.

Also, make sure your get a good use year (when the DVC year starts is important with relation to when you normally like to go down to WDW. It helps if you have to cancel a trip)

Ed

PhilharMagician

Originally posted by BeachClubVillas
Dear God, I converted one!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, you should definitely look into it. The tour itself is really cool and it's nice to be pampered for a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure the model is still at the Boardwalk so you can head over there and have some fun at the Boardwalk too!

DVC now has a new model area in SSR. It is supposed to be about twice the size because sales for them has been great. As we can see by them raising the prices for points.

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by edmali
I am not disputing DVC is good, but it is not as simple as some make it out to be.

One of the problems with DVC is if you like to go to WDW during busy times (e.g. Wine and Food Festival).

Even if you want to book at your home resort at the 11 month window. It is a challenge.

Let's say you want to stay for a week. You need to call EXACTLY at the 11 month window EACH DAY to make sure you get the room (seven phone calls) (like calling for Cinderella's breakfast 7 days in a row). You can't call at the 11 month window and book the entire 7 days.

IMO it is extremely important that your home resort is where you want to stay during the busy times of year. If you buyinto SSR and want to stay at BWV for the W&F festival, you can book only at the 7 month window. Chances are slim.

Also, make sure your get a good use year (when the DVC year starts is important with relation to when you normally like to go down to WDW. It helps if you have to cancel a trip)

Ed

Those are good points, I wish we had bought at BCV instead of VWL, our guide talked us into "it doesn't mater where you buy, you can stay anywhere." (she wanted to sell out VWL before BCV opened I think.) I love BCV so much I am little disapointed we don't own there. However we have stayed at 4 different DVC resorts, with out much of a problem now.

I think booking troubles at 11 months out can really happen the most when you want a certin size room, stuidos and one bedrooms don't seem to have as many problems. We have done a few wait lists and always got in with no problems. I think larger reosrts like OKW and now SSR you are able to get in better with out much of a problem. Also there is always something open, just maybe not your 1st choice (and there is always getting a non DVC WDW resort on points too.) Also with all the new growth, you have more choices and more opprotunities. (and more member's true.) Most people I have talked to were able to get in when on wait lists. What happens if people book at there home, and then change to another resort when 7 months out. We were going to do that for March 2005, but decided not to, we just stayed at VWL last time and are going to take our chances with getting into BCV.

We haven't had much an issue with our use year, but then again we alway seem to have borrowed into the next year, so we can't lose points!

If you are locked into a certin week and it is very busy and you only want to stay at one resort, then make sure you buy where you want to stay and get enough points to cover that trip. We are a bit more flexible (DH does teach college, but we have a few choices for good times to go, before christmas rush, after new years, spring break March and the 1st week of May.) Never had much of a problem getting in those times.

I agree PhilharMagician, points prices are only going up from here, however how much 170 points will buy you is locked in, unlike how much a room rate will be in 10 years comparied to now.

flyersmv

are ok in my eyes DVC is definatly worth it.....the way my family uses it..i think is good but might not be for everyone else

heres wut we do......
because of skool tutions and such we will save money for airfare etc and go everyother year on DVC.....we go for 2weeks in the best resorts ....DVC offerns verrrrry nice rooms and such (boardwalk, beachclub villas, old key west, saratoga springs) and u only pay the yearly fee.....if u can afford the 14000 then its worth it...b/c u think u save a little money ur wrong.....u save alot of money esp after payin the 14000 off.......if u go 20 times in 20 years.....ITS WORTH IT.....u can go as many times as ur points can handle for 14000

heres sum tips incase ur gonna buy into it......
do it ASAP b/c the points value is going up..
if u do buy it...i would say go everyother year if ur looking for a big $$ saver...u spend the same amount of money for airfare and it 2 weeks apart rather then 3-4-5 days

MeTa

Sticking my 2 cents in....One thing is for certain, Old Key West is still by far the best. Biggest rooms, room side parking. Disney already said, they will never build another one like it. Visited Saratoga Springs, and it sure is nice though.

Disneygrl36

Man, I could kick myself for passing on DVC when I first toured it at Old Key West when they first opened. That was when they were giving park hopper passes for like the first 5 years or so too.:brick: :brick: :brick: stupid, stupid me.
Going to tour in Nov when we go & hopefully join as I think it will pay for itself as much as the hubby & I love going to Disney.

MKCP 1985

This thread makes my head hurt.

Points, resales, guides who talk you into purchasing at one resort when you really want to "own" at another resort, double point costs on weekends and during busy times, promises to improve perks in the future, 11 month windows with daily calls to book one day at a time, and benefits that I can't mention here.

Are we talking about DVC or aluminum siding?

You say it is a good idea. How much are those free drinks and cookies costing you?

Here is a thought:

If you DON'T buy into the DVC, you can still

* go to Disney World as often as you want (can afford).

* rent any type of room at a multitude of on-property hotels that allow you to gain early access into the parks.

* stay as long as you want (can afford) at the hotel of your choice.

* book vacations at a multitude of hotels at Hilton Head or Vero Beach.

* get pampered at WDW each time you visit by purchasing a spa treatment or paying extra for concierge level rooms at Deluxe resorts.

* invest your $14,000 in the stock market and offset rising hotel room prices with earnings on your investment, while maintaining the flexibility to spend that money on things other than Disney Vacations, should other needs arise.

Now this might burn a little bit - You can book rooms at any DVC hotel without being a DVC member and pay cash. I have stayed at OKW when everything else was fully booked.

artvandelay

Some DVC people argue that you're locking in your room rate til 2042 by buying into DVC. They claim that your moderate resort room that is $100 this year could be $300 in 10 - 15 years. Well, I stayed at Dixie Landings in 1993 and paid $89 a night, and I stayed at POR last month and paid....$89 a night!

Also, DVC mait. fees go up, on average, 3% a year. DVC mait. fees are based on a per point basis. OKW is the lowest at $3.68(?) and BCV is the highest at $4.60 (?). If you have 200 points, that's at least $736 and as high as $920 a year.

Now, you cannot compare a room at POR to a two BR at OKW, but if you get 2 rooms at POR (with a connecting door) you get closer.

Even after I've made these arguments, I'm still considering buying into DVC thru a resale! I think it's a nice way for my family to bring different people with us on our vacation and have them stay for free. Also, it would be nice to send my parents to WDW during the winter for a week on my wife and me.

surfsupdon

We don't buy into the club b/c it we did not like what the CMs mentioned about traveling using DVC during the only times we can do Disney--Christmas and Easter.

The points are so sky high for deluxes during this period that we would ahve to buy SO many extra points. At least by booking room only, we can use AP and Visa discounts when (usually) available for deluxes.

I wish that we could join the DVC, but, even the CM said we shouldn't if we travel during the peak holiday times.

A question within this thread---does anyone use their points and DVC during Christmas-->New Years and does it work out in your benefit?:xmas:

BeachClubVillas

Originally posted by artvandelay

Now, you cannot compare a room at POR to a two BR at OKW, but if you get 2 rooms at POR (with a connecting door) you get closer.

Have you ever actually STAYED in a 2br at OKW or any other DVC resort?? I have, and I have stayed at PO with two connecting rooms, and let me tell you, there is absolutely NO comparison. To start with, the villas have in room laundry, a full kitchen, a kitchen table, a master bedroom, a HUGE bathroom with a jacuzzi enough room to pretty much fit a marching band. And don't forget the private porch with a view of whatever you choose. Now it may be just me, but four uncomfortable queen size beds and two small bathrooms just isn't the same thing...although that little "hallway" between the two rooms is pretty cool! :brick: :hammer:

Notice that people who are already in the DVC don't say, "Man what a waste of money! I wish I had never done it!" The only ones who think it is a waste of money are the people who aren't in it and don't understand it.

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by BeachClubVillas

Notice that people who are already in the DVC don't say, "Man what a waste of money! I wish I had never done it!" The only ones who think it is a waste of money are the people who aren't in it and don't understand it.

If anyone did feel it wasn't for them or they ended up wasting money there is always resale, most people make what they paid for it back (- the yearly dues). People do sell back, but that normally is people who over did it with add ons and have 600 points and find he dues are too much for that.

Dues go up the average of 3% a year. Rooms go up much faster then that. You got a great deal for the POR room, 189 is more like a normal rate for it. Deals like that aren't likely to continue.

MKCP 1986, if it makes your head hurt, don't do it. We love planing and thinking about our WDW vacations, so we don't mind the extra effort of owning DVC. Once you understand it is much easier then going through CR (and has a 1-800 number.) But you can pay cash for DVC rooms (or even rent from members.) However, it will cost you more. Our most recent room at VB cost us 50$ a night, a deal on it would of been 189 a night. One bedrooms are around 500 a night, 100 when you average out the price of points. What ever works for you.

The buy in is the real hard part, once you get past that everything is easy. Plus we love being DVC members. Remember members are magical! (Besides all our vacations to WDW seem to make more sense to others now, oh their time share is there, that is why they keep going back!)

I will tell you one thing, we dump more money into a smiple 10 year old ponton boat we co own on a local lake then DVC dues.

goofyman

We Bought in 2001 WLV and LOVE it. what you have to do when comparing, like many have said here, is compare apples to apples. you can not use the alstar prices to compare. look at the high end places and the things available at DVC resorts and then compare. Also look at the high value that DVC trades at. we stayed a 5+ star hotel in hawaii that was over $600 a night for a hotel room and used our points there are not many other timesshares that trade so high and easy. I say go for it you will love it!

PhilharMagician

Originally posted by MKCP 1986
This thread makes my head hurt.

You say it is a good idea. How much are those free drinks and cookies costing you?

Here is a thought:

If you DON'T buy into the DVC, you can still

* go to Disney World as often as you want (can afford).

* rent any type of room at a multitude of on-property hotels that allow you to gain early access into the parks.

* stay as long as you want (can afford) at the hotel of your choice.

* book vacations at a multitude of hotels at Hilton Head or Vero Beach.

* get pampered at WDW each time you visit by purchasing a spa treatment or paying extra for concierge level rooms at Deluxe resorts.

* invest your $14,000 in the stock market and offset rising hotel room prices with earnings on your investment, while maintaining the flexibility to spend that money on things other than Disney Vacations, should other needs arise.

Now this might burn a little bit - You can book rooms at any DVC hotel without being a DVC member and pay cash. I have stayed at OKW when everything else was fully booked.

Yeh, but I got my free drink and cookies!:lol:

You do list alot of points, not all good ones though.

It costs me about $390.00 per week for my room including my purchase price and maintenance fees at the rate of two weeks of stay per year in a studio. I do think this is a bad price for a superior room.

The rooms in do not even compare with deluxe resorts. A studio in a DVC resort is larger in size with a balcony or patio and a kitchenette. You can easily get a room at one of these resorts if they are not booked by a DVC member. DVC purposely sets aside room to rent. They do not sell the entire resort to members, only a percentage.

As DVC members, you get discounts at the Spa's, golf course's, certain restaurants and discounted passes. There are new perks added continueosly. The list of discounted restaurants is growing fast!

One think that some of the DVC resorts do not have is fine dining. It would be nice if they would put in a great signature restaurant in all of the DVC resorts.

Just my 2 cents.....

When I joined DVC 4 years ago, I did the math forwards, backwards and sideways to justify it.

I figured I could justify buying DVC if, what I would be paying out annually with the loan + interest + dues would come out less than or equal to paying cash at a comparable hotel (i.e. deluxe resorts). We typically go for 10 nights in the spring and a week in the fall/winter.

The result was that my total annual cash outlay for DVC while paying off the loan, divided by 17 nights = ~$210 per night (including the 11.5% resort tax). Not bad for a deluxe resort.

Once the loan is paid off and I am only paying dues: ~$60 per night for a deluxe resort....a no-brainer.

If I used my points the most frugally, staying in the lowest point resort (at WDW) during the lowest season, I could stay there for a month.

The bottom line is: Could you stay at Disney cheaper? In the short run...sure. If you are happy staying in the value resorts, then by all means go that route.

However, in the long run....DVC financially wins by a mile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom