Advice on applying for the DCP?

Mackenzie Kindig

Original Poster
So, I am currently a freshman in college and I have been wanting to do the DCP since I first heard of its existence like my freshman year of high scool. I graduated a year early from high school so i'm only 17 and I won't be 18 until May. I really want to apply for Fall 17 (maybe fall advantage) but is it worth it? I'll be 18 by move-in day of course but will me being so young affect me getting in?

The only thing is that my major requires all this field experience that next fall is pretty much the only time I could do it to keep my financial aid by taking online classes, I could maybe pull off doing Spring in 2018 but it doesn't look good. I just don't want to get my hopes up if it seems like a lost cause.

ULPO46

So, I am currently a freshman in college and I have been wanting to do the DCP since I first heard of its existence like my freshman year of high scool. I graduated a year early from high school so i'm only 17 and I won't be 18 until May. I really want to apply for Fall 17 (maybe fall advantage) but is it worth it? I'll be 18 by move-in day of course but will me being so young affect me getting in?

The only thing is that my major requires all this field experience that next fall is pretty much the only time I could do it to keep my financial aid by taking online classes, I could maybe pull off doing Spring in 2018 but it doesn't look good. I just don't want to get my hopes up if it seems like a lost cause.
It isn't a lost cause it never hurts to apply to the program, but with the amount of applicants that apply to the program it's difficult to say where you would be placed. I know people who have applied every last semester and never have been placed in DLR or WDW DCP, but thats just sheer dumb luck. It depends on how many credits you have, academic standing, as well as what you are majoring in. Don't loose an entire semester just because you want to dream. I personally majored in Hospitality and Engineering. I applied but never was accepted until I read about Imagineering Internships. After a semester of the internship i found my dream job and well I've been working for the Walt Disney Company ever since and i could never be happier! It's ok to follow your dreams and I advise to apply it never hurts.

ULPO46

Please don't jeopardize your financial aid or your graduation track for the college program.
Thanks for pointing that out i forgot to mention that. I just was re-reading. IF YOU ARE ON FINANCIAL AID, It will affect gravely your chances of getting into DCP. Although there are ways that Disney can subsidize, it's not something they have the time or effort to play with. Be careful and don't mess around with it because once you loose it, you loose it.

Monorail_Red

First of all it is extremely important to take financial aid and your graduation track into consideration. And I'm not trying to downplay that at all. BUT...if its something you really want to do, go for it. It certainly won't hurt to apply. For me personally, the experience far outweighed the semester I lost. But my situation may have been different from yours...financial aid was not a factor for me and I wasn't exactly sure where I wanted to go career wise at the time. Just my .02, don't make any hasty decisions. Best of luck!

MereMickey

I'd suggest waiting to do the CP after you've finished school. You can apply for it the last semester you're enrolled and participat the follow term. So, if you're graduating in the spring, you would be eligible for the fall and vise versa. This would be a much better scenario than delaying graduation and risk losing any aid.

I agree with this post as well. I applied as a freshman and then as a senior. I got accepted both times, however I decide that as a freshman I needed to get my first few years of schooling done first before getting to the fun stuff. Your freshman and sophomore years are really important not only academically, socially, but also in your case finically. Get those years done, be secure in your credits, funds, etc. Like mentioned, I reapplied my senior year.

What is also good about waiting until your senior year to do the program (whether before your senior year starts or after… I did before and I know someone who did it after they graduated… it works great either way) is that you're more established with school and the most important thing to me is that I was older. I was over 21, so I got to enjoy everything without the restrictions. I got to live in an apartment with others that were over 21, so we were able to drink in our room. That wasn't a main point and I am not a drinker per say, but I didn't have to worry about roommates being caught with alcohol that shouldn't have it. If you are under 21or someone in your apartment is, alcohol can not be in the apartment at all. You are essentially in a 'dry' apartment. I have heard of entire apartment being fired and sent home because one person was under age and had a party with drinks. It sounds silly, but really it made a difference. I found that not having to worry about silly stuff like that was better to wait until my senior year. It's the little things like that that made me glad that I waited until my senior year. You can experience all the fun things that college offers, but my rule of thumb was always put your nose to the grindstone the first few years and get all the tough stuff out of the way. After that you can have all the fun you want.

Wish you the best and if you need anymore advice or have questions please feel free to ask them here or you can even PM me. I had a blast doing the CP experience and I hope you are able to do it one day as well. I fondly look back on many memories even all these years later.

Kenika143

I agree with this post as well. I applied as a freshman and then as a senior. I got accepted both times, however I decide that as a freshman I needed to get my first few years of schooling done first before getting to the fun stuff. Your freshman and sophomore years are really important not only academically, socially, but also in your case finically. Get those years done, be secure in your credits, funds, etc. Like mentioned, I reapplied my senior year.

What is also good about waiting until your senior year to do the program (whether before your senior year starts or after… I did before and I know someone who did it after they graduated… it works great either way) is that you're more established with school and the most important thing to me is that I was older. I was over 21, so I got to enjoy everything without the restrictions. I got to live in an apartment with others that were over 21, so we were able to drink in our room. That wasn't a main point and I am not a drinker per say, but I didn't have to worry about roommates being caught with alcohol that shouldn't have it. If you are under 21or someone in your apartment is, alcohol can not be in the apartment at all. You are essentially in a 'dry' apartment. I have heard of entire apartment being fired and sent home because one person was under age and had a party with drinks. It sounds silly, but really it made a difference. I found that not having to worry about silly stuff like that was better to wait until my senior year. It's the little things like that that made me glad that I waited until my senior year. You can experience all the fun things that college offers, but my rule of thumb was always put your nose to the grindstone the first few years and get all the tough stuff out of the way. After that you can have all the fun you want.

Wish you the best and if you need anymore advice or have questions please feel free to ask them here or you can even PM me. I had a blast doing the CP experience and I hope you are able to do it one day as well. I fondly look back on many memories even all these years later.
Do you anyone one that needs a roommate im leaving nyc in march to work as a full time culinary cast member. Im 25 no pets female call or text to give me more info 7186003236

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom