Advice needed from the So Cal people - 2 week trip

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Here's the scoop. We're spending 2, yes TWO weeks in California in October. 10/6-10/20 to be exact. We want to visit the Disney Family Museum in San Fran as well but I don't know how to "swing it"

Here's what I know so far but am open to suggestions!
  • We're planning on staying at the Fairfield across from Disneyland. 5 day park hoppers. We're going to rent a car for part of the trip
  • I don't want to "eat" a few days at the hotel in Anaheim if we're going to San Fran - BUT we don't want to haul 2 weeks worth of luggage with us either...!!
  • We've toyed with the idea of flying to San Fran

How would YOU spend 2 weeks in California if you've only ever been to DL?

Travel Junkie

I would spend 1 extra day in OC besides DLR and either go to the beach or some other activity. I would probably do 2 days in LA. Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, the Getty Museum (there are 2 one in LA and the Getty Villa in Malibu), Le Brea Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory, Huntington Library in Pasadena are all options depending on your taste.
If you have 2 weeks I would actually drive instead of fly to SF and take advantage by seeing Central California. It is really a hidden gem. From LA you can either take the 101 or the scenic route up the 1 from Santa Monica through Malibu and connect back to the 101 in Ventura County. From Ventura continue up the 101 through Santa Barbara with a possible stop there or continue on to Solvang, which I definitely recommend stopping at for shopping and eating at the bakeries.

I would either stay overnight in San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay. If you stay near San Luis Obispo the Madonna Inn is unique and fun (or at least stop by and take a look around, they have a restaurant.)

Morro Bay is a wonderful little coastal town to visit or stay overnight at along with Cambria.

San Simeon is home of Hearst Castle.
cambria-ca-hearst-castle-madelines-restaurant.jpg

Then you continue north on the 1 through Big Sur and some of the greatest coastline you will ever see.
20100912223914_bixby-bridge.jpg

Then head into Monterrey. The world famous Aquarium and Cannery Row await.

vfiles5390.jpg

You can either stay overnight in Monterrey, Santa Cruz or head all the way up to SF. The rest of the time spend in SF, one of America’s best cities.

The other option for driving is heading north inland instead of the coast and you can see Yosemite and some Redwood trees. However if you take the coast route there are also Redwoods around Santa Cruz.

If some of that doesn't make sense or want mor info, let me know. I've spent quite a bit of time along the Central coast and it is one of my favorite places.

Rufus T Firefly

I agree 100%. The central coast is one of the most beautiful parts of California and usually not very crowded. Insider Tip: If you do stop to check out the Madonna Inn ask to see the men's restroom.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I would like to stay a week in LA and spend a week traveling up/down the coast to/from San Fran - the problem is convincing my traveling companions to do the same!

Rufus T Firefly

Instead of traveling up and down the coast could you spend your first week in So. Cal, spend a week driving up the coast and fly home from San Fran?

Figments Friend

I was going to recommend road tripping, but see others have already covered it.
Yes, definitely try to convince your friends to road trip up to San Fran. SO much to see and do on the way !

My first two visits to California were week long trips, and both involved amazing road trips with friends from one end of the state to another.
First visit in 2007 i arrived via air near San Francisco, stayed with a friend, then drove to San Jose to meet up with more friends. We spent the next couple of days driving from that area down to Anaheim, hitting all the places we were interested in visiting.
The experience of seeing all of this from the seat of a car was awesome.
California left a HUGE impression on me after that first trip.

I came back a couple of years later and did another mega-road trip with the same friends, but this time going in reverse - Anaheim to San Francisco.
It was even better, as we hit Hollywood and a few other spots before driving up along the coast on the Pacific Coast HIghway.
Absolutely incredible scenery and novel makeshift surfing communities.
After re-visiting Monterrey we arrived in San Francisco to spent a afternoon at the Walt Disney Family Museum.
The Museum was great....a real *must visit* if you are a fan of Walt and his work, or even if just a fan of the Parks.

We did a LOT in just a week...cannot even begin to imagine how much more you will be able to do in TWO weeks!
Disneyland is a great excuse to *get yourself out there*, but there is SO MUCH MORE California has to offer...and i am not just talking about *local attractions*.
I am talking about the size, scope, and geographic diversity of the State itself.....not to mention the incredible scenery and unique experiences to be had.

I am really thankful that my first two experiences in California were those road trips.
Best two trips ever...and a really nice way to get introduced to the West Coast.
I highly recommend doing one to see what amazing stuff you have been missing out on!
Disneyland is awesome, but the State it is in is even awesomer !

:)

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
thanks everyone! I like the Spend a week in So.Cal and then spend a week driving up the coat/in San Fran and flying out of there!

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
You won't be sorry. Hearst Castle and the drive through Big Sur alone are worth the trip.

my parents went to Hearst Castle back in the late 70s and still talk about it. I have pitched to my friends: Fly into LA, spend a week then rent a car and drive up the coast - Fly home out of San Fran

Edit: Meh. They want to "bookend" the trip at Disney.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Ok - Sorry to be a pest! I think I have Debi convinced that bookending the trip at DL is just not do-able without wasting a ton of time traveling.

So - here's my next train of thought. Fly into San Fran - spend 3-4 days touring the area. Spend 2 days driving down PCH to Anaheim - spend a week in Anaheim/LA

San Fran I have down: Disney Family Museum, Big Bus Tour (which is a stop and go tour that hits the big ones: Golden Gate Bridge, Fishermans Wharf, etc), Napa Valley (??), LucasFilm (??), Redwood Forest, Alcatraz

What are good stopping points/cities/landmarks for a 2-day trip from San Fran to LA?

Bolna

When we did a similar trip, but in the other direction, we stayed overnight in Monterrey, a small motel in Big Sur and in Santa Barbara, so three nights.

The one highlight that I would not want to miss when doing the coastal route would be Hearst Castle.

I also really liked to stroll through Carmel. Solvang was neat, but not overly exciting in my opinion. But that might be because I once lived in the real Denmark for one year, so the "fake" one did not overly impress me. We stopped there for lunch. Monterrey was fun and since I loved reading Steinbeck it was a must see for me. But we mainly had only one evening there. Santa Barbara was lovely to walk around as well, they had some adobe houses there that were interesting to see. And they had the most beautiful court house I have ever seen. Big Sur we mainly just drove through, but stopped at some overlooks. It is a spectacular coast line, but unless you really get out of the car and hike, there is not that much to see. Oh, and we had the best lunch (fish tacos on the beach) in Morro Bay. So, all in all that drive along the coast has lots of smaller highlights that you can just pick and chose.

For San Francisco one of my favourites there is the Japanese (or Chinese?) Tea Garden in the Golden Gate Park. I also loved the art museum in Golden Gate Park. Riding a cable car also is something one must do in San Francisco. The stations on the "city" side are easier to get on than the one down by Fishermans Wharf. Otherwise they also have great oldtimer trolleys (trams?) that take you around.

Rufus T Firefly

OK, this is what I would do. Maybe you can get some ideas from this. I would spent one day in Monterey and check out their world class aquarium and other sights. Drive through Big Sur the next day stopping for lunch along the way (Nepenthe is our favorite lunch stop there). I would spend the second night in Cambria at one of the many hotels along Moonstone Beach Dr. Hearst Castle is easily accessible from Cambria. Make sure to make reservations for the Castle tour. Hope this helps.

NormC

I would like to do a similar trip with my family but I was thinking of flying in to San Diego and doing the zoo and Legoland. Head North to Anaheim and do DL. Tour Hollywood, Rodeo Drive etc. Head to San Fran and fly back to Boston from there.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
@NormC I like that idea too! I know San Fran is high on our priority list due to the Disney Family Museum and with DL's 60th going on I really want at least 5 days at DL & DCA.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hi! Me again. October is coming & I have a "want to do" list started and would like some feedback. This is a super-rough draft.

San Fran - 3-4 days
- Chinatown
- Lombard St
- Cable Car ride
- Alcatraz
- Hyde St Pier & Pier 39
- Fishermans Wharf
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Walt Disney Family Muesum
- Redwoods??

Drive to: Monteray/Caramel/San Jose - 1 day
- Sarah Winchester house
- Moneray Bay Aquarium

Drive to: San Simeon/Big Sur - 2 days
- Hearst Castle

LA/Anaheim: 1 week
- Disneyland (5 days)
- Disney Concert Hall
- Museum of Tolerance
- La Brea Tar Pits
- Disney's grave

Mukta

That's a pretty good list. I have lived in CA my whole life (Northern and Southern) so it is hard for me to be objective. Any interest in Hollywood/Universal to see where movies are made?

I think you will have an even greater appreciation for DCA/Soarin' over CA after seeing those sights. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom