Adventureland Veranda: The next Club 33?

sweetpee_1993

so just a comment on that...I think it's something that WDW can get away with because we don't know any better. Most of the "finer diner establishments" are filled with people burning 2 dining credits from their free dining plan anyway and can't tell the difference prime rib and a strip steak. I'm not sure that Disneyland could get away with charging top dollar for a meal and not deliver upon a top-notch experience. Californians are kind of food snobs! I do think that i get more value for my money from a sit-down meal at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World.
Agreed. The problem is the Disney name is attached on either coast. Not just to the food specifically, it's an overall concept for all aspects of the parks product: product inconsistency breeds brand distrust. Once upon a time product consistency created a reputation second to none. Now it's the exact opposite.

We did eat at Carthay Circle for dinner as well. We all agreed it was an overall worthwhile experience. I only bit for the WoC package, tho. If it hadn't been for that I still would've walked on by.

The lunch we had at Blue Bayou was decent in proportion to our expectations. Overpriced, yes, but not bad. Not exceptional. We went in expecting meh, tho. I only did that one because one of my boys asked for it. I strategically didn't do dinner because of my distrust of Disney's cuisine. ;) I'm telling you, its kinda a theme with me. LOL!

Best Disney meal I've had in terms of food quality? Remy. But the 3+ hour experience isn't all that. I'd eat a Remy level meal every night of vacation regardless of where we are if I was certain it'd be worth the cost and under 2 hours. :D

Not trusting of the Californians' palate. They love their In-n-Out and even 3 months later I'm still trying to grasp the concept of a burger without mayo. Or fries with a vomit-looking substance on it. LOL!

Victor Kelly

Why do so many people hate the dining plan? We love it but we buy the higher tier plans so we can do table service almost all the time. Except for needing to make reservations 6 months out, which is completely insane. Now, I do believe that some of Disney's better dining locations, aka table service, are not as good as they are touted.

We do like the plan because our food is already paid for. But like I said, we buy higher tier plans.

seahawk7

The only thing I can think for who the clientele of a Club 71 might be is DVC'ers. Maybe create a DVC Deluxe level of "owners" who have access to Club 71 in Magic Kingdom Park for cocktails and dining, and then Club 1901 style smaller cocktail lounges in the other three WDW parks?

BTW, are you in Seattle? I lived in Juanita for a few years in the 1980's. That was before Seattle was such a big deal; just a fabulous city that no one really knew about yet.
No not currently in Seattle. It is a nice city and their football team is not too shabby. ;)

seahawk7

I completely agree with a lot of what has been said on here, especially with the recent post by @Victor Kelly

I want to be clear, I do not enjoy TDO blood sucking money from guests. They have been interested in doing a Club 33 for a while, and with the recent social media explosion of trip reports, photos, and opinions over the remodel and expansion, I really see TDO licking their chops on a way to get people to pay up to wine and dine at the Magic Kingdom.

Club 71 at the former Adventureland Veranda already is built and has a kitchen. They aren't going to go out of their way to build a new facility for a club, when they can use an old facility.

I would much rather see the AV turned into a nice sit down restaurant as the MK is strapped on dining facilities, mainly due to some of them being opened seasonal....ridiculous! They need as many restaurant up and running as possible.

Yet...there is so much social media wh*oring that comes out of WDW, I can see Club 71 being an airport lounge for the Magic Kingdom if you will...a quiet place to get away from it all with comfy seats, a bar, and maybe they'd add in a buffet of some sort. I doubt it would be as classy as the formal dining room of Club 33. I don't see that many people actually paying pricey annual dues in WDW, but hey...if they can get people to spend over $500 a night at the Poly, they can get/find people that will spend thousands at Club 71.
So are you saying it would be like a media lounge for bloggers and such?

Nmoody1

Why do so many people hate the dining plan? We love it but we buy the higher tier plans so we can do table service almost all the time. Except for needing to make reservations 6 months out, which is completely insane. Now, I do believe that some of Disney's better dining locations, aka table service, are not as good as they are touted.

We do like the plan because our food is already paid for. But like I said, we buy higher tier plans.

Because since the introduction of the dining plan, meals and food across the resort have been dumbed down more and more - the dining plan may be perceived as valuable for people who use it (me included at times) but the overall quality of food (to make it profitable for Mickey) has vastly reduced... Look at world showcase, look at quick service locations, now cast your mind back pre-dining plan, or visit Disneyland and compare the food... Orlando's offerings are truly poor!

sweetpee_1993

Because before the dining plans the food quality across the board was better.

Each restaurant, although part of the whole of food & beverage, is run as if it is its own business. They have budgets, expenses, etc. to work with. With the dining plan, regardless of which you pay for or if you scored it for free, it's like a bank account. Each meal you eat at a restaurant that restaurant gets a set amount of money given to them for each dining credit they fulfilled. That set amount of money that they get dictates what each dish can cost. Less expensive dishes equal better numbers for the restaurant. So, less complex recipes, lesser quality ingredients, less diverse offerings, simplified menus...all these things directly result from the budgeting confines dictated by the dining plan. Imagine if you received $15 per person for 6 people to have dinner at your house. Even if everyone ate the same thing (less ingredients, less prep labor are working in your favor!) you won't be able to feed them high-grade steaks or lobster. No, you'll likely be serving up a nice chicken dish. Even at the 2-credit WDW meals there's still budget limitations that won't allow for true high end cuisine. This is what many people dislike about the dining plan(s). Their inception really brought quality and variety down.

This is not speculation. More than 1 member here has had first-hand conversations with WDW restaurant managers who confirmed this is how it works and this is why the food is what it is and will continue.

sweetpee_1993

Because since the introduction of the dining plan, meals and food across the resort have been dumbed down more and more - the dining plan may be perceived as valuable for people who use it (me included at times) but the overall quality of food (to make it profitable for Mickey) has vastly reduced... Look at world showcase, look at quick service locations, now cast your mind back pre-dining plan, or visit Disneyland and compare the food... Orlando's offerings are truly poor!
Truth. Disneyland was waaaaay more interesting in terms of variety and quality was noticeably better overall.

seahawk7

Do I like the idea of a Club 33-esque members-only thing in the MK? No. Not that it matters because I won't go there anyway. LOL!

Do I think TDO would actually do it? In a flippin' heartbeat. Disney of late is totally enthralled with the pay-to-play tiered *magical* offerings. If TDO thought for a moment they could milk a top tier buck out of something inserted in the AV space I think they'd whip something together lickety-split. Wouldn't even take a full year much less 3 or 4 to make it happen.

I can see it now....Adventureland theme with a couple Frozen characters shoehorned in (nevermind that theming conflict) and a full spread of prefab cuisine with wine pairings. Gotta sauce-up the deal, ya know. They'd have to be sure not to make the location too low-key. Part of the perk is the status when wistful regular guests gaze upon it from the less-magical surrounding area. Call it "exclusive", slap an obscene price tag on, and every lifestyler or well-funded fan will kick little kiddies outta the way to get at the front of the line.

Oh yeah, TDO would shamelessly go there in a flash.
I never understood how getting to have something others can't have makes said thing more appealing.

sweetpee_1993

I never understood how getting to have something others can't have makes said thing more appealing.
I think its human nature to a certain extent. Disney does have a knack for exploiting that. I mean, look at Frozen. When it first released it was received like most any other new feature. But then the hype machine got going and WHOA! People went bonkers! It's not that suddenly the movie was better. It's the hype machine. Same thing with these "exclusive" things. Just the idea of something being more special or better in some way, people will eat it up.

seahawk7

I have eaten at TS restaurants in both WDW and DL and they both can bad, mediocre, and great.

seahawk7

I think its human nature to a certain extent. Disney does have a knack for exploiting that. I mean, look at Frozen. When it first released it was received like most any other new feature. But then the hype machine got going and WHOA! People went bonkers! It's not that suddenly the movie was better. It's the hype machine. Same thing with these "exclusive" things. Just the idea of something being more special or better in some way, people will eat it up.
I hear you. It has just always been something I don't like. Especially the idea of people pushing kids out of the way to get to their exclusive club. To me, that means a person can have money while not possessing class.

devoy1701

I have eaten at TS restaurants in both WDW and DL and they both can bad, mediocre, and great.
one of the biggest differences is that most of the menus at Walt Disney World for their table service restaurants are pretty much the same wherever you go. You will typically see a club sandwich, a burger, some sort of seafood pasta dish, some sort of chicken dish, and a strip steak. At Disneyland table service restaurants you get themed unique menus specific to that restaurant and or land at the restaurant is located in. this is putting signature dining restaurants aside.

seahawk7

one of the biggest differences is that most of the menus at Walt Disney World for their table service restaurants are pretty much the same wherever you go. You will typically see a club sandwich, a burger, some sort of seafood pasta dish, some sort of chicken dish, and a strip steak. At Disneyland table service restaurants you get themed unique menus specific to that restaurant and or land at the restaurant is located in. this is putting signature dining restaurants aside.
I just think the WS alone gives WDW more variety. Now in California, I do like some of their QS better.

Victor Kelly

Because before the dining plans the food quality across the board was better.

Each restaurant, although part of the whole of food & beverage, is run as if it is its own business. They have budgets, expenses, etc. to work with. With the dining plan, regardless of which you pay for or if you scored it for free, it's like a bank account. Each meal you eat at a restaurant that restaurant gets a set amount of money given to them for each dining credit they fulfilled. That set amount of money that they get dictates what each dish can cost. Less expensive dishes equal better numbers for the restaurant. So, less complex recipes, lesser quality ingredients, less diverse offerings, simplified menus...all these things directly result from the budgeting confines dictated by the dining plan. Imagine if you received $15 per person for 6 people to have dinner at your house. Even if everyone ate the same thing (less ingredients, less prep labor are working in your favor!) you won't be able to feed them high-grade steaks or lobster. No, you'll likely be serving up a nice chicken dish. Even at the 2-credit WDW meals there's still budget limitations that won't allow for true high end cuisine. This is what many people dislike about the dining plan(s). Their inception really brought quality and variety down.

This is not speculation. More than 1 member here has had first-hand conversations with WDW restaurant managers who confirmed this is how it works and this is why the food is what it is and will continue.

Thank you, this explains things a lot better.

This I have noticed on the Dining plan. As mentioned before they have general menus that do not differ from one location to another very much. And thinking back pre-dining plan the food overall in Disney was never very good. Places like the Crystal Palace and Tonys always had food that was better than QS places like Pecos Bills. Fast forward a decade or two and the quality of QS has improved, while the same stuff property wide, the quality is better than in the past, but to some not good at all.

Like I said before, the dining plan is easier for us. If we did not stay on property we could not use it. Also, if you don't price things out to a break even point, the dining plan is more expensive than paying as you go. But here is another point about the dining plan to consider, the dining does not include everything on a menu that is available at a TS restaurant. Detractors of the dining plan should know this, and consider it. This fact that I am pointing out is important to everyone, the dining plan is not all doom and gloom.

PhotoDave219

Because Disney had very good food, diverse menus and was a dining experience before it came into existence.

Victor Kelly

How is Pecos Bills, Tommorrowland terrace or Cosmic Rays a dining experience? It is fast food. Crystal Palace....a buffet. Epcot, there are dining experiences there for sure. Studios....not so much. AK, not really. Resorts have some places to eat. But again Chef Mickeys is a buffet. Ohana, still an experience, certainly.

No Disney never had very good food, they have average theme park food with TS restaurants that are better than QS but still have, and have always had slightly better food than QS but at higher prices.

I don't look at Disney through Pixie dust or rose colored glasses. I grew up to see it for what it is. It is a multi- billion dollar multi-national company that has been putting money before quality for at least the past two decades. The parks are extremely well themed amusement parks, with amusement park quality food. If you want dining experiences then Victoria and Alberts, Citricos, etc are the places to go. Heck even Ohana and Hoo Dee Doo are experiences.

RMichael21

How is Pecos Bills, Tommorrowland terrace or Cosmic Rays a dining experience? It is fast food. Crystal Palace....a buffet. Epcot, there are dining experiences there for sure. Studios....not so much. AK, not really. Resorts have some places to eat. But again Chef Mickeys is a buffet. Ohana, still an experience, certainly.

No Disney never had very good food, they have average theme park food with TS restaurants that are better than QS but still have, and have always had slightly better food than QS but at higher prices.

I don't look at Disney through Pixie dust or rose colored glasses. I grew up to see it for what it is. It is a multi- billion dollar multi-national company that has been putting money before quality for at least the past two decades. The parks are extremely well themed amusement parks, with amusement park quality food. If you want dining experiences then Victoria and Alberts, Citricos, etc are the places to go. Heck even Ohana and Hoo Dee Doo are experiences.
Add Narcoossee's to your list please. :p That place is amazing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom