Adventureland Veranda: The next Club 33?

TP2000

It also was largely a special place until the last decade or so when every/any Lifestyler 'with a friend' (wink-wink) suddenly was dining there. I'd rather a meal at Napa Rose myself.

I agree with you on Napa Rose. Service and menu there exceeded Club 33 over the last 15 years, in general.

I ate at Club 33 twice, over a decade ago, as a business guest of Standard Oil of California. It was nice, but you could tell it was coasting on fumes even back then. It sounds like the cleanup they did of the member behavior, and the reeling in of all the freebie guest passes the members could give out, has really tightened up the clientele and gotten it back to an actual "club" like it was in the 1960's and 70's.

And the photos coming in just tonight on other websites of the new Club 33 interiors look absolutely stunning. Really high quality work and obviously a TON of money spent on the Club 33 rehab. I had written it off a decade ago, but now I am interested in going back sometime for dinner. Hmm... who can I kiss up to?

I've also had exactly one cocktail (a Manhattan) during one visit to Club 1901, through a friend-of-a-friend thing. To be honest, I find the Carthay Circle Lounge next door more comfortable and special than 1901. And since cocktails are served in multiple locations in DCA, what's really the point of 1901?

Interestingly, now that Club 33 is back open in a great, big beautiful way, Napa Rose is closing in a couple weeks for two months of refurbishment. And the Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian is closed now for a long refurb too. What's an upscale drunk wearing a sport coat to do in Anaheim? Trader Sam's and Carthay Circle, I suppose.

As for a Club 71 in Orlando... They would need to go at it from a different angle there. Not sure they could get the corporate clients like they can in SoCal, and the private members would be mostly DVC'ers and folks who don't necessarily live in central Florida. That would require some rethinking of membership dues, benefits, activities, numbers, etc. if they ever tried a Club 71 in WDW.

Tokyo Disneyland has its own Club 33, by the way. Set up almost exactly like Anaheim's, as a private club for corporate sponsor executives and private members with deep pockets. It sits above the shops of World Bazaar, their version of Main Street USA.

WDW1974

Could they bank on those with $ to anchor the club while the Mommy Bloggers and Lifestylers essentially visit it for free? It is WDW after all...but can't you just imagine an Adventure themed Club? How else would we get to hear @Lee sing for his supper?!

@Lee can often be coaxed into singing (and, remember, he only makes moonshine in the hills, he don't drink it!)

I think the Lifestyle whores are only a part of the equation, but if you see the dog and pony show that DL put on for folks that should NOT be a part of this at all, then you'd realize that Disney is actively going after that audience.

I will be speaking a bit more about this on the Seventh Heaven thread.

WDW1974

Yes, Kikkoman was still a sponsor through the early 90's. Perhaps the decision to end their sponsorship was one of the reasons the restaurant closed. It was rarely busy there, even though the food was as good, or better, than the other quick service restaurants. I never understood why people would go to Pecos Bill's and fight the crowds when they could get the same hamburger at the Veranda, but with fewer people. If you didn't like the Teriyaki sauce, all you had to do was ask for one without.

The dining areas closest to the plaza had nice views of the castle, were quiet with a secluded feel, and were kept cool by ceiling fans. If you ever had the opportunity to eat there, I think you would miss it now that it's gone; I know I do.

Yes, the last time I recall eating there was sometime in 1994 (likely the spring week when WL opened). Not only did they have those great teriyaki sauced burgers with pineapple (imagine how scary that is for WDW's bread and butter guests who think pickles or mushrooms on a burger are a Commie plot!), but their veggie lo mein salad was amazing to chow on while seated on one of the secluded patios that overlooked Cindy's and the Hub Waterways.

I always found it bizarre to shutter what was once the MK's largest QSR only to then double the seating at Pecos Bill's AND take away all the unique shops to make them additional seating for a location (what is now known at Tortuga Tavern) that is open a few months a year for four hours a day.

Last edited:

cw1982

Yes, the last time I recall eating there was sometime in 1994 (likely the spring week when WL opened). Not only did they have those great teriyaki sauced burgers with pineapple (imagine how scary that is for WDW's bread and butter guests who think pickles or mushrooms on a burger are a Commie plot!), but their veggie lo mein salad.

I always found it bizarre to shutter what was once the MK's largest SQR only to then double the seating at Pecos Bill's AND take away all the unique shops to make them additional seating for a location (what is now known at Tortuga Tavern) that is open a few months a year for four hours a day.

Not to change the subject, but this made me laugh... I'm about as picky of an eater as they come, and yet the only thing I don't like out of your whole list there is mushrooms. A teriyaki sauced burger with pineapple actually sounds amazing!

WDW1974

I agree with you on Napa Rose. Service and menu there exceeded Club 33 over the last 15 years, in general.

I ate at Club 33 twice, over a decade ago, as a business guest of Standard Oil of California. It was nice, but you could tell it was coasting on fumes even back then. It sounds like the cleanup they did of the member behavior, and the reeling in of all the freebie guest passes the members could give out, has really tightened up the clientele and gotten it back to an actual "club" like it was in the 1960's and 70's.

Actually, the opposite is true. They will let anyone and everyone in there. This redo was as much to accommodate ECVs and the 400-pounders in them as anything.

And the photos coming in just tonight on other websites of the new Club 33 interiors look absolutely stunning. Really high quality work and obviously a TON of money spent on the Club 33 rehab. I had written it off a decade ago, but now I am interested in going back sometime for dinner. Hmm... who can I kiss up to?

They should be easy enough to find. Every Lifestyler blogger or podcaster seems to have 'a friend' that is willing to set them up.

I think the interiors look nice, I wouldn't call them stunning. In some places, it seems like they borrowed from Eddie Sotto's design for Walt's at DLP. ... And the way the place has destroyed the look of much of NoS on the outside is where I really have an issue.

I've also had exactly one cocktail (a Manhattan) during one visit to Club 1901, through a friend-of-a-friend thing. To be honest, I find the Carthay Circle Lounge next door more comfortable and special than 1901. And since cocktails are served in multiple locations in DCA, what's really the point of 1901?

Made it to 1901 for the first time in May. I greatly enjoyed the food/drink/ambiance of the place. It certainly was quieter at 1901 ... until one of those Orange County GOP women who didn't want to pay taxes on her millions in income annually (before anyone attacks me, she was talking about this, not me ... I am just stating what I observed!) started moving in on my group and ... those meds she was on mixed with the drinks meant she had no 'off switch'!

I really enjoyed 1901, though. I did think some of the clientele was clearly of the Lifestylers with money ... but I also did see someone from the entertainment industry (an exec level, not talent) there, which was nice.

Interestingly, now that Club 33 is back open in a great, big beautiful way, Napa Rose is closing in a couple weeks for two months of refurbishment. And the Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian is closed now for a long refurb too. What's an upscale drunk wearing a sport coat to do in Anaheim? Trader Sam's and Carthay Circle, I suppose.

As for a Club 71 in Orlando... They would need to go at it from a different angle there. Not sure they could get the corporate clients like they can in SoCal, and the private members would be mostly DVC'ers and folks who don't necessarily live in central Florida. That would require some rethinking of membership dues, benefits, activities, numbers, etc. if they ever tried a Club 71 in WDW.

Tokyo Disneyland has its own Club 33, by the way. Set up almost exactly like Anaheim's, as a private club for corporate sponsor executives and private members with deep pockets. It sits above the shops of World Bazaar, their version of Main Street USA.

Yes. And TDL's isn't welcoming of American Lifestylers either. Yeah, OLC!!!

WDW1974

Not to change the subject, but this made me laugh... I'm about as picky of an eater as they come, and yet the only thing I don't like out of your whole list there is mushrooms. A teriyaki sauced burger with pineapple actually sounds amazing!

I could have said practically anything.

I am amazed at how simple many WDW diners are. Plain burgers ... plain pizza. Chicken nuggets. Fries. Maybe chicken or ribs or simple pasta with a red sauce. ... It makes me look like an adventurous diner when I really am not!

EPCOTCenterLover

Yes, the last time I recall eating there was sometime in 1994 (likely the spring week when WL opened). Not only did they have those great teriyaki sauced burgers with pineapple (imagine how scary that is for WDW's bread and butter guests who think pickles or mushrooms on a burger are a Commie plot!), but their veggie lo mein salad.

I always found it bizarre to shutter what was once the MK's largest SQR only to then double the seating at Pecos Bill's AND take away all the unique shops to make them additional seating for a location (what is now known at Tortuga Tavern) that is open a few months a year for four hours a day.
It was a GREAT place to eat. The food was good, prices fair, and the overlook to the plaza really special.

MarkTwain

I say restaurant on the scale of be our guest, more restaurants of that caliber are a must.

I was thinking this too. From talking with guests, it almost sounds like MK needs more TSR restaurants, at least for dinnertime (I was surprised how many complaints I got from guests about lack of places to eat a sit-down meal, I always figured MK guests were too rushed for that). Maybe make Verandah another QSR option during lunchtime, with Dole Whip sales to take pressure off of Aloha Isle, and then at night convert it into a more relaxed TSR experience with options for waterside fireworks viewing. Put the Club 33 concept in an Epcot pavilion or DHS, or upper level Main Street if it must be in MK.

Last edited:

seahawk7

Am I missing something about the benefit of an exclusive club like Club 33? Why would we want one in MK? When I see the one in DL it just bothers me. I have never liked elitism and seeing it in the parks bothers me.
Now I know we have different groups of hotels and those who can afford to and want to, stay in the deluxe. But I'm allowed to walk into the deluxe hotels and eat in their restaurants so this is different. Can someone please explain to me why this club is something I should be ok with?

WDW1974

Am I missing something about the benefit of an exclusive club like Club 33? Why would we want one in MK? When I see the one in DL it just bothers me. I have never liked elitism and seeing it in the parks bothers me.
Now I know we have different groups of hotels and those who can afford to and want to, stay in the deluxe. But I'm allowed to walk into the deluxe hotels and eat in their restaurants so this is different. Can someone please explain to me why this club is something I should be ok with?

I won't because I see no need for it whatsoever.

It is a money grab by Disney, pure and simple.

Much like the DVC deal I broke news of here in the 8th Wonder thread.

TP2000

I think the interiors look nice, I wouldn't call them stunning. In some places, it seems like they borrowed from Eddie Sotto's design for Walt's at DLP. ... And the way the place has destroyed the look of much of NoS on the outside is where I really have an issue.

Andy Castro's Dateline Disneyland update today gives a full interior review of the new Club 33 in New Orleans Square at Disneyland. Someone got him a reservation there this weekend and he had a nice dinner it looks like. For the great work he does on those weekly photo updates, the guy deserves it. His full review and photos are at Miceage today. http://micechat.com/75092-disneyland-59th-club-33/

He also has more pics of the rapidly evolving exteriors of the New Orleans Square rehab project. It's obvious they weren't done in time for the reopening of Club 33, but they are making progress daily to the unfinished exteriors.

For the East Coasters and Europeans here who have no idea what Club 33 is about, that photo update and dinner review might help shed light on things. Would a fancy members-only jazz lounge and dining room work in Magic Kingdom Park? Where the nightly fireworks are flambe' desserts served tableside?

The Club 33 Jazz Lounge
DSC_2833-M.jpg

DSC_2828-M.jpg

The Club 33 Dining Room
DSC_3136-M.jpg

The Club 33 Fireworks
DSC_3109-M.jpg

Last edited:

seahawk7

I won't because I see no need for it whatsoever.

It is a money grab by Disney, pure and simple.

Much like the DVC deal I broke news of here in the 8th Wonder thread.
Thank you for answering. I have been following in your 8th Wonder thread and I don't care for the DVC expansion either. Like I said in another post, it bothers me when TDO will renovate a space for this but take their time on other projects. I said I might just take a break from WDW if the Club thing came to fruition, but I don't think I would. I just love Disney too much despite the folks who are determined to ruin it.

Victor Kelly

I like your point of view and fully agree with it. Seems like people feel the need to be exclusive. They spend money because they want to belong. Oh well, let them spend their money.

TP2000

I like your point of view and fully agree with it. Seems like people feel the need to be exclusive. They spend money because they want to belong. Oh well, let them spend their money.

Or... they don't spend any money at all, and let their employer pick up the tab via the corporate sponsorship they have in a Disney theme park. (In the 1960's: Coke, GE, Richfield Oil, Monsanto, Bell System, etc. And in the 2010's, Coke, Standard Oil, Honda, Microsoft, Starbucks, etc.) That was originally the bulk of the "membership" for Club 33, and the reason why Walt dreamed it up to begin with after he saw the swanky corporate lounges at the 1964 New York World's Fair.

Or... they do spend the money as a private citizen just to get a decent meal and a cocktail inside Disneyland. That is really a huge part of the Club 33 phenomenon for Lifestylers of the last 15 years: ordering a cocktail inside Disneyland with Walt's blessing.

If they ever start serving liquor and wine at Disneyland restaurants, a big chunk of the Club 33 allure goes away instantly. Poof! Which, after seeing the serious money and energy they just poured in to the Club 33 expansion, makes me think that Walt-era taboo won't be changing anytime soon. Disneyland is still a dry park.

They've begun to chip away at Prohibition at Magic Kingdom Park with dinner wines at Be Our Guest. Let's see how far TDO pushes it before they realize Parkwide Prohibition is going to be a big selling point if they ever want to start a Club 71 there.

Last edited:

seahawk7

Or... they don't spend any money at all, and let their employer pick up the tab via the corporate sponsorship they have in a Disney theme park. (In the 1960's: Coke, GE, Monsanto, Bell System, etc. And in the 2010's, Coke, Honda, Microsoft, Starbucks, etc.) That was originally the bulk of the "membership" for Club 33, and the reason why Walt dreamed it up to begin with after he saw the swanky corporate lounges at the 1964 New York World's Fair.

Or... they do spend the money as a private citizen just to get a decent cocktail inside Disneyland. That is really a huge part of the Club 33 phenomenon for Lifestylers of the last 15 years: ordering cocktail inside Disneyland with Walt's blessing.

If they ever start serving liquor and wine at Disneyland restaurants, a big chunk of the Club 33 allure goes away instantly. Which, after seeing the serious money and energy they just poured in to the Club 33 expansion, makes me think that Walt-era taboo won't be changing anytime soon. Disneyland is still a dry park.

They've begun to chip away at it at Magic Kingdom Park with BOG. Let's see how far they push it before they realize it's going to be a big selling point if they ever want to start a Club 71 there.
Interesting. Thanks. I always love to hear more Walt and DL history!

TP2000

Interesting. Thanks. I always love to hear more Walt and DL history!

You're welcome. :)

Club 33 opened in 1967, after New Orleans Square originally opened in July, 1966. Here are a few photos from the original circa '67 brochure that was used to solicit members for Club 33. This was the vibe and atmosphere they were going for with their corporate clients and a few private citizens who also bought in to the membership club in the late 1960's. I wonder what type of images they would use to entice people to a new Club 71 at Magic Kingdom Park?

The Hidden Entry Door circa 1967 (but wide open for this publicity shot)
entry.jpg

The Dining Room circa 1967
022712_NF_FS_DatelineDisney_1967_FEATURE_1.jpg

The Trophy Room Lounge circa 1967
club33_trophyc_web.jpg

seahawk7

You're welcome. :)

Club 33 opened in 1967, after New Orleans Square originally opened in July, 1966. Here are a few photos from the original circa '67 brochure that was used to solicit members for Club 33. This was the vibe and atmosphere they were going for with their corporate clients and a few private citizens who also bought in to the membership club in the late 1960's. I wonder what type of images they would use to entice people to a new Club 71 at Magic Kingdom Park?

The Hidden Entry Door circa 1967 (but wide open for this publicity shot)
entry.jpg

The Dining Room circa 1967
022712_NF_FS_DatelineDisney_1967_FEATURE_1.jpg

The Trophy Room Lounge circa 1967
club33_trophyc_web.jpg
Thank you for the pictures but do you think this Club 71 would be used to shmooze potential investors?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom