Accident on Pirates

dadddio

I suppose WDW is keeping people out of the rear seat to cover itself from a lawsuit. That being said, keep your body inside the boat, it's not hard.
That doesn't seem like a good way to avoid a lawsuit as it suggests that sitting in that seat is somehow dangerous. It seems that this would push liability from the guest (who ignored safety warning) to the company.

Timekeeper

That doesn't seem like a good way to avoid a lawsuit as it suggests that sitting in that seat is somehow dangerous. It seems that this would push liability from the guest (who ignored safety warning) to the company.

Yes, it would seem that way (correcting a problem seemingly acknowledges that there was in fact a problem to begin with).

However, that's not how the law operates. The rules of evidence law, for example, were written in a manner that encourages the correction of problems (called "subsequent remedial measures") by generally prohibiting those corrections from being introduced into evidence by a plaintiff who seeks to prove negligence on the part of the defendant.

- - -

Federal Rules of Evidence, Rule 407 provides:

When measures are taken that would have made an earlier injury or harm less likely to occur, evidence of the subsequent measures is not admissible to prove:
• negligence;
• culpable conduct;
• a defect in a product or its design; or
• a need for a warning or instruction.
But the court may admit this evidence for another purpose, such as impeachment or--if disputed--proving ownership, control, or the feasibility of precautionary measures.

Florida Statutes § 90.407 provides:

Evidence of measures taken after an injury or harm caused by an event, which measures if taken before the event would have made injury or harm less likely to occur, is not admissible to prove negligence, the existence of a product defect, or culpable conduct in connection with the event. This rule does not require the exclusion of evidence of subsequent remedial measures when offered for another purpose, such as proving ownership, control, or the feasibility of precautionary measures, if controverted, or impeachment.

- - -

So, the legislature wants businesses to correct problems and make things safer for the well being of the general public, without incurring additional liability or allowing for the presentation of remedial measures evidence that would "suggest" something was somehow dangerous simply because it was fixed/improved.

dadddio

Yes, it would seem that way (correcting a problem seemingly acknowledges that there was in fact a problem to begin with).
If I understand your post, it could be argued that an ignition switch used in a vehicle caused a safety problem, but the company's replacing of the module isn't, in and of itself, evidence of the safety issue.

Timekeeper

If I understand your post, it could be argued that an ignition switch used in a vehicle caused a safety problem, but the company's replacing of the module isn't, in and of itself, evidence of the safety issue.

Yes, that's the general idea. Per your hypothetical, it (car company replacing parts) may be "evidence" of a safety issue in laymen's terms, because we all understand why the parts were replaced, but likely not admissible evidence for a jury to consider if the negligence lawsuit against the car company went to trial.

That doesn't mean the plaintiff won't win... A plaintiff can still prove negligence in many other ways, but "look, they fixed the problem and added a safety feature" is not something that a jury would generally be allowed to consider (unless an articulated exception applied).

There are many, many things that are not admissible evidence in both criminal and civil trials, and it is for the attorneys to argue and the judge to decide as to what constitutes appropriate, admissible evidence that may be presented to the jury.

dstrawn9889

now, you cannot grandfather an attraction that can easily cause bodily harm, they would have to close it and bring it to safety standards, to not do so would be criminally negligent. so you need not worry about hitting anything in space

ninjaprincesst

Are thru finally using the last row?
Just asked my little cousin and that works there he said they are using the back row when it is busy, in the mornings or late at night when the boats are not filled to capacity anyway they are being told to not load the back row. Both the man and the little boy stuck there hands in the water and had them smashed by the boat. (owww!) but I guess some people just have to learn the hard way, the older man is not suing, but the parents of the boy are.

LudwigVonDrake

I was in WDW when this happened and every time I rode Pirates the back row was roped off (I left 7/18).

The day after the accident we were loading on to the boat and a little girl lost her sandal/flip flop getting into the boat. The father wanted to reach down and see if he could get it and the CM freaked out. Common sense...

HRHPrincessAriel

Just asked my little cousin and that works there he said they are using the back row when it is busy, in the mornings or late at night when the boats are not filled to capacity anyway they are being told to not load the back row. Both the man and the little boy stuck there hands in the water and had them smashed by the boat. (owww!) but I guess some people just have to learn the hard way, the older man is not suing, but the parents of the boy are.
would WDW lawyers/management really share that last bit of info with their ride operators? Seems odd.

ninjaprincesst

would WDW lawyers/management really share that last bit of info with their ride operators? Seems odd.
Nope, that part has been in the news , he told me the name of the paper but of course me and my middle aged memory can't remember, of course just because the man said he wasn't going to sue does not mean he won't change his mind. The 12 year old boy was hurt several months ago and they are just now filing. I also don't see how not using the back row helps anything, to me that just makes Disney look guilty ( I don't think they are, I mean they tell you again and again to keep your arms and hands inside the boat), but not using the back row even when it's slow seems to me like they somehow think the back row is dangerous. As far as employee info, they were not even given a reason for not using the back row were just told to do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom