About your Disney Archive..... What to do with them?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
So Last night I took it upon myself to put all my Disney photos (2005+) in one spot, in order to categorize them, keyword them and remember "Oh yeah, i shot that for martin, forgot that" and for other purposes. (Still some DVDs to pull from)

Right around 400 Gigs of Photos with a little video mixed in. Most of that is JPG normal/Large. A few Raw Shots. Doesnt include the film scans.

....... Everyone else has this much, right? I'm not the only one with these many Disney photos, trying to figure out what to do with them?

Also, I'm open to ideas as to what to do with them, beyond a book for myself/family. Suggestions? Ideas?

NowInc

I decided that for $200 a year I could set up a site that doubles as a portfolio as well as storefront on smugmug. I don't ever push for sales of my work, but its a great passive way to make back money on this expensive hobby. They take care of printing and shipping, all I do is provide the images and set the prices. The cool part is that whenever I make a sale it goes into a virtual bank on the site, and I can use the balance there to pay for my annual hosting fee. Whatever is left goes straight into my bank account. It is in no way to make a living, but at least I don't have thousands of pics sitting around doing nothing for me past my initial "use"

htx

Don't worry you are not alone on having that many Disney photos. I don't store any photos that I am done editing on my laptop since the SSD would fill up way too fast. I store all my photos on a local NAS at my house. I then use CrashPlan to backup them up into their cloud. That leaves me with two copies in two different locations, but that is not enough for me lol. I also keep another local copy on USB storage that I can put in a fireproof safe. I also put a 4th copy on my Amazon prime photos since prime members get unlimited storage. After reading all this maybe it's a little over done but it's better to be safe than sorry.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I decided that for $200 a year I could set up a site that doubles as a portfolio as well as storefront on smugmug. I don't ever push for sales of my work, but its a great passive way to make back money on this expensive hobby. They take care of printing and shipping, all I do is provide the images and set the prices. The cool part is that whenever I make a sale it goes into a virtual bank on the site, and I can use the balance there to pay for my annual hosting fee. Whatever is left goes straight into my bank account. It is in no way to make a living, but at least I don't have thousands of pics sitting around doing nothing for me past my initial "use"

I've considered that but I don't want to compete with you....

NowInc

I've considered that but I don't want to compete with you....

I say go for it. Seriously, we all have different styles and that only benefits the community :) The sales are secondary to my site, I mainly have it for unlimited storage and a place to keep them all in one place (flickr is quickly becoming less and less favorable to me), thus doubling as a "backup" just in case my other storage options fail.

Chadder810

I personally keep 3 sets of all of my pictures. I've got one on my local hard drive, one copy goes to a back up drive in my house in case of a failure with my main drive, and the last is on a remote drive that sits at my work.

I don't think you can ever go too overboard with backing up photos. I've lost some in the past due to a failed drive and couldn't retrieve them. I vowed on that day that I'd never let that happen to myself again.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Does it have to do with selling "prints" vs. selling rights to use the photo for commercial purposes?

Exactly. First, cant ever use them for a commercial purpose. The mouse does not have a sense of humor about that.

Second, editorial pubs like Frommers, Fodors, etc., that shoot inside the park are generally given a wide latitude, just cant use the fab 5 (or a list of characters) w/out specific, explicit, permission.

So I think as long as you're not using them commercially and not selling photos of the characters, you're probably in the OKAY area, as it is a public place. (There is no right to privacy in public. So says the supreme court.)

njDizFan

Same here as others...local hard drive on lap top, 2 terabyte external hardrive and then most go on Flickr(they give you 1 Terabyte for free)

afb28

I think everyone should take their favorite shot and get a LARGE print made (36X48 or larger). Trust me. There is nothing else like it :)
Agreed. I made one about that size and it's awesome.

One thing I really don't get though is most sites will say that the resolution/dpi isn't ideal for that size yet they only accept JPEGs. I'll have a 15mb jpeg and it says low quality, so why not start accepting DNGs or TIFFs because I'm not about to drop $130 on a print that says low resolution.

NowInc

Agreed. I made one about that size and it's awesome.

One thing I really don't get though is most sites will say that the resolution/dpi isn't ideal for that size yet they only accept JPEGs. I'll have a 15mb jpeg and it says low quality, so why not start accepting DNGs or TIFFs because I'm not about to drop $130 on a print that says low resolution.

They typically say low resolution due to upscaling. A 24mp pic is native 13"X20" at 300dpi for example, so it has to get upscaled during printing and that doesn't always look good. The format of the image is inconsequential. Sadly their automated services are set to tell you an image is low resolution even if it will print fine (Noise is NATURAL and acceptable, and I don't see any photograph printed larger than 24X36 with zero noise on it).

I am (very) fortunate to have access to large printing equipment at my studio and only vector graphics made natively at the larger sizes are considered "High Resolution".

thomas998

My backup plan is I keep the original chip I shot them on in a fire proof box, any photos I really like are stored on a hard drive and backed up in addition to the original chip. I can't justify paying a monthly fee to have someone else store my photos, especially when chip and hard drive prices are as low as they are.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
My backup plan is I keep the original chip I shot them on in a fire proof box, any photos I really like are stored on a hard drive and backed up in addition to the original chip. I can't justify paying a monthly fee to have someone else store my photos, especially when chip and hard drive prices are as low as they are.

Well, if you have a safe deposit box somewhere, thats always a good idea too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom