About redeeming villains...

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
So a friend of mine and I were discussing the movie "Maleficent" the other day. We both think it's really not very good. What I really objected to was the way the script tried to make Maleficent more sympathetic by making all the good guys either evil or stupid. :p Kinda weak, if you ask me.

But I got to thinking...of all the villains in the Disney pantheon, I can think of one who really might have a case for redemption:

Dr. Facilier.

Yes, he was a practitioner in dark magic, but...one can make the argument that, for a man like him living in that time, perhaps that was the only source of real power available, for a people who were essentially powerless. I remember actually feeling a stab of sympathy for him in the scene where he glared at Big Daddy LaBouff because of his wealth. He, as a black man, had little hope of achieving that level of success (just like most of his people - remember when Tiana was turned down when she tried to buy the old mill and turn it into a restaurant? The scene was handled delicately, but it was pretty clear WHY she was turned down. It was, of course, a matter of race).

So I think the if Disney goes the "villain redeemed" route again, perhaps the Doctor might be a good choice. I think I'd be interested in seeing a movie like that. Just a thought.

Arthur Wellesley

I read somewhere that Facilier was originally a pupil of Mama Odie. Rather than using the teachings of voodoo magic to help others as she did, he eventually turned to evil due to his thirst for power. Of course, this whole backstory was not included in the final product of the film, but it's in the origin somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom