Aaaaaaaand we're in!

LilWalt

Ok, DVC virgin here. I noticed you said that you are getting the resort you wanted, why does it matter? Maturity date?

ToTBellHop

Ok, DVC virgin here. I noticed you said that you are getting the resort you wanted, why does it matter? Maturity date?
Well yes, partially you think about expiration date. Otherwise, you are thinking about your 11-month booking window. I am buying into VWL because WL is my favorite, so I can always book it at 11 months out and be happy. Then I can check at 7 months out to see if another resort is available that I might like to switch to. If not, I stick with VWL and am still happy. I wouldn't want to but into Saratoga on the other hand, because for me, I wouldn't always be happy there. You want your home resort to be the one you would be happiest to stay at the most often.

EOD K9

While I enjoy SSR, we do like staying at the others as well. That being said, having only 35 points at a different resort, doesn't really lend itself to an extended stay. Having all of my points at one resort allows for easier banking, borrowing, etc.

dreamfinder

It all depends on the owner in question, but the biggest reason is the 11 month booking window. The 4 month advantage that owners of a particular resort get can be huge when booking at some resorts. Trying to book at BCV or BWV during F&W can be tough unless you have that extra 4 month window to make your booking. But if you really don't care what resort you stay at on your vacation, then it doesn't matter. If you own at SSR, you may end up booking your trip at SSR, but then waitlisting at BCV for F&W. If BCV comes through, awesome. If not, you are still going to Disney.

As @EOD K9 said, 35 points in an of itself isn't really enough to use on a regular basis. Some owners like to have different deeds at different resorts so they can make that 11 month booking at a different place each trip. So 35 points at SSR, 35 points at AKL, and 35 points at WLV would basically let that owner take a trip each year (in a 3 year cycle) staying at each resort once through banking/borrowing appropriately. Others want them all at a single resort with a use year that matches their existing points to facilitate booking trips that need more points than they initially bought. Case in point, couple buys enough points for a studio, but then has children and need to upgrade to a 1BR. Getting add on points that match their home resort and use year let them book that 1BR without having to get fancy with banking/borrowing or point transfers or the like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom