A2grafix's Coast 2 Coast Challenge Part 1: 2013 Disneyland Half

a2grafix

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I recently returned from a quick trip to Disneyland to run the 2013 half Labor Day weekend. I guess this is a trip report, though I have already mentioned a few things in the What Did You Do and Disneyland Half threads.

To get it out of the way, I ran 2:36.0 in Sunday's half, my second ever half marathon and my first ever runDisney half.

2013-09-01_08-19-41_294.jpg

Backtrack to September-October 2012 as I had completed my first ever runDisney race, the 2012 Tower 10 miler. Ran that in 1:55.02. Afterward I questioned myself, can I run 20K? Can I run 3.1 more miles for a 13.1 mile half marathon? In December 2012 at the St. Jude Memphis Marathon / Half / 5K expo I saw a booth set up for the Louisiana Marathon and Half in Baton Rouge, which was putting on its second-ever event the third weekend of January. The thought came into my mind again, can I run a half marathon? I decided to enter and I accomplished the feat, running 2:22.57 on a sea-level flat course through Downtown "Red Stick" and Louisiana State University.

A few days after running the Louisiana Half, I entertained the thought of running in the 2013 Disneyland Half, and maybe complete the Coast 2 Coast Challenge by running in the 2013 Wine and Dine Half. So, after the sticker shock of the half price of $175 plus tax, I bit and registered. A few months later I also swallowed and entered the Wine and Dine Half to compete for the Coast 2 Coast Challenge finishers medal.

Nope, I didn't enter the Dumbo Double Dare because it was just too expensive. The bling is nice, but I was in it for the half.

I trained since April for the Disneyland Half, running through Downtown Memphis, Germany, and Ohio. I used the Galloway training plan and I never got past running 7 miles straight, though in January I ran 13.1.

2013-08-30_12-05-49_431.jpg

Fast-forward to Aug. 28, a Wednesday, my last day of work at the TV station before the half weekend. I put in a full day's work and thought I could get in a few hours of sleep until my Thursday 7am flight out to LAX via Atlanta. Nope. Ended up working past 2am and decided to stay up and make my flight in time. Although I tried to rest on both flights, I ended up reading a book.

Noticed that a lot of passengers on my connecting flight from Atlanta to LAX were also running the half and/or 5K and/or 10K. Cool. Noticed that some of the passengers who also got off waited with me for the Disneyland Express shuttle, which took some 2 hours to get us to Anaheim. Didn't complain too much as the shuttle did get us all to Anaheim and to our hotels.

2013-08-29_16-03-28_548.jpg

After checking into the Riviera on West Katella (okay motel, no frills, across street from Garden Walk on corner of West Katella and Harbor) got my military discounted 3-day park hopper from the cast members and I was on my way inside California Adventure. Later in the day met up with Melissa (@melflip8 ) and her friend Stacy as all 3 of us were running in the half. Melissa was gunning for her Coast 2 Coast medal. Mel and I ran the 2012 Tower 10 miler, so it was really nice to hang out inside the Magic Kingdom Thursday evening. I had been to Disneyland 2 times previous, most recently in 2010, but not since California Adventure had its grand-reopening since its overhaul. This was Mel's first trip to Anaheim.

2013-08-30_15-45-33_767.jpg

We were all surprised that given it being a Thursday before race weekend the parks were quiet. We all got on rides within 5 minutes or less at both parks, with the exception of Radiator Springs Racers and Tower of Terror. We ended our Thursday night watching the "Magical" fireworks show in the VIP section in front of the castle. An instant Disney magic perk from two cast members. Afterward we all three were exhausted as we all had been up for several hours. We said our goodnights and hoped to see each other again, but we did not as our schedules did not synch due to the expo and the increasing amount of runners and fans arriving for race weekend.

Friday decided to sleep in as much as I could, got nearly 8 hours. Expo was to have started at 10am, so I decided to hit West Katella and looped around Garden Walk (some of the half route between miles 11 and 12) before walking to the Disneyland Hotel for the expo.

2013-08-30_12-06-19_386.jpg

I guessed that due to the addition of the Dumbo Double Dare, EVERYONE decided to arrive Friday morning for the two-day expo. It caused two massive lines - one line to pick up your race bib and another line to enter the expo and pick up your race packet and t-shirt(s). I got to the Disneyland Hotel around 11am and by that time the lines had zigged and zagged near the front entrance of the hotel. It was organized chaos and something slightly different than the expos held at the ESPN Sports complex at the Jostens Center at Disney World.

2013-08-30_11-56-07_719.jpg

2013-08-30_12-04-30_487.jpg

2013-08-30_13-24-54_991.jpg

After about two hours of securing my bib, shirt and race packet, I was out of the expo. In that time though I met Jeff Galloway and thanked him. I also saw the new race bling, saw Ali Vincent and Sean Astin, and rummaged around the expo merchandise area. Unfortunately I did not purchase anything because EVERYONE who got there before me was in line for checkout. The checkout line wait time was between 2-3 hours and a cast member decided to close the line at the time I was going to wait for my purchase of a runDisney 13.1 magnet and a t-shirt. It occurred to me that there must have been more guests inside waiting for merchandise purchases than the lines at the theme parks. I was right.

1273105_10151788982212708_1533467433_o.jpg

2013-08-30_12-44-13_548.jpg

Ended up spending the afternoon and evening at both parks, taking advantage of the extra magic hours and left Disneyland after midnight. Cool highlight: I drank a lot of water during my trip. I even got a free bottle of water and a 6-member fastpass after Goofy's Sky School ride broke down. I ended up giving the fastpass to six lovely ladies who were on their bachelorette party in Cars Land.

2013-08-30_16-05-13_525.jpg

Saturday slept in a little and made it back to the parks after 10am but noticed that the lines for some rides, especially in the Magic Kingdom, were long due to race weekend and locals visiting. Ended up leaving the parks around 8pm after a nice pasta dinner at California Adventure underneath the Screamin' roller coaster. Set my alarm for 3:15am and was out the door by 3:45am Sunday and headed toward the Sorcerer's Hat outside the Disneyland Hotel for out WDW Magic meetup and stretch.

2013-08-31_10-39-53_682.jpg

(Race day report and photos below)

Last edited:

a2grafix

Original Poster
Wrong idea. Several groups also claimed spot so there were at least 50 runners grouping together and getting ready for the half marathon. No one came up to meet to say they were from WDW Magic and by 4:45am we were all asked to leave because hotel guests were complaining.

2013-09-01_05-37-50_67.jpg

2013-09-01_05-20-58_749.jpg

(Looking back at Corrals C through G that stretched to the Disneyland Resort parking structure)

Shortly after 5am I made my way into Corral B and waited for the start. Felt good and stretched and ready. Wearing my Team RWB shirt I saluted during the National Anthem. Thought I was the only one saluting but another military vet saw me and we chatted for a bit.

2013-09-01_06-04-53_347.jpg

2013-09-01_06-12-16_381.jpg

2013-09-01_06-14-33_502.jpg

2013-09-01_06-15-02_338.jpg

Run temp to start was around 70-71F at 5:30am and a bit humid. I'm glad I started in B because as the corrals were let go the temp started to rise. The course in itself was pretty nice and mostly flat. I felt comfortable and stopped several times to take pictures or to walk after getting some water. Really appreciative of the volunteers and Anaheimians who came out in force mile after mile to cheer us on, sing to us, play music, or hand out water and powerade.

2013-09-01_06-27-21_56.jpg

2013-09-01_06-29-41_522.jpg

2013-09-01_06-37-48_229.jpg

Between miles 8 and 9 along the Santa Ana River Trail I noticed someone, Could it be? Yes it was! It was Joey Fatone of NSYNC and Dancing with the Stars fame. I said hi to him and then passed him. Found out he started in VIP Corral A and I started in the back of Corral B. I finished nearly 20 minutes ahead of him.

2013-09-01_07-06-00_554.jpg

2013-09-01_07-11-27_259.jpg

2013-09-01_07-14-47_687.jpg

2013-09-01_07-16-33_116.jpg

2013-09-01_07-18-16_581.jpg

Last edited:

a2grafix

Original Poster
When we reached Mile 9 right outside Angels Stadium my spirits raised big time. Sun had risen and it was getting hotter. My feet ached and my, um, nipples were chaffed. Yeah, I forgot to apply Vaseline to my chest. Never again. I will remember next time. All that went away for the next 20 minutes as we crossed through the stadium grounds. So many scouts - cubs, brownies, boys, girls, and explorers. Great atmosphere. I had to stop and randomly take a picture with a group of boy scouts.

2013-09-01_07-29-01_846.jpg

2013-09-01_07-31-48_761.jpg

2013-09-01_07-32-26_702.jpg

2013-09-01_07-32-59_98.jpg

2013-09-01_07-39-55_104.jpg

Last 3 miles of the run were okay. Got a little slower but kept on moving. Pretty amazing feeling finishing the race, high-fiving Pluto as I crossed the finish line. Super elated to get the "D" finishers medal and some care from the volunteers and massage staff.

2013-09-01_08-16-06_567.jpg

2013-09-01_08-16-55_522.jpg

Unfortunately I had to leave in a short order as I had to check out of my hotel, which I did. Afterward spent the afternoon waiting to catch the bus back to LAX spending time at Downtown Disney. Had a great meal at Mimi's Cafe on Harbor and hydrated big time at Trader Sam's.

2013-09-01_22-47-34_286.jpg

Wish it could have lasted longer. Got to LAX with about 3 hours before my flight, so after checking in I went to the Bob Hope USO Lounge and hung out for a few. Both flights back I slept as best I could. I was tired. After getting home to Memphis slept about 2 hours and went to work at the station on Labor Day. Ended up working a 12-hour day.

Sixty-one days until Wine and Dine Half and the chance to earn the coveted Coast 2 Coast medal.

a2grafix

Original Poster
Funny thing as I was making to the 13 mile marker a runner who had finished earlier said "Run Faster! They just ran out of medals!"

Have to say that I had some of the best food, economical food, at the Magic Kingdom. Ate several times at Bengal Barbeque in Adventureland. Whoah. Under $4 for BBQ or under $4 for roasted veggies? Sign me up, repeatedly.

2013-08-31_14-12-26_253.jpg

Last edited:

Kristia

Great report! Hope to do this one someday! One thing that stood out to me was how empty Main Street looked while you were running. At the WDW half and full, it was wall to wall people and you could barely walk let alone run!

Texas84

Great report! Hope to do this one someday! One thing that stood out to me was how empty Main Street looked while you were running. At the WDW half and full, it was wall to wall people and you could barely walk let alone run!

Yep, this race seems to spread out better than WDW races. The first mile is on a wide street before moving into the parks and DCA has lots of room. MK narrows but by then everyone is spread out. The 'river' trail right before the stadium and the stadium itself is a bit of a choke point but not too bad.

a2grafix

Original Poster
Yep, this race seems to spread out better than WDW races. The first mile is on a wide street before moving into the parks and DCA has lots of room. MK narrows but by then everyone is spread out. The 'river' trail right before the stadium and the stadium itself is a bit of a choke point but not too bad.

@Texas84 did you see running on the Santa Ana River trail the markings for the 13-mile mark? I did any many other runners. I wondered aloud where our finishers medal was. Good joke that kept everyone's spirits up.

a2grafix

Original Poster

Since I have never run down Main Street at Walt Disney World, only seen pictures and video, can't really compare. I did find that Main Street in Disneyland was steady but spaced out enough that we were not bunched up. It was close to the 3-mile marker. There was a lot of wiggle room throughout the entire course. I might have run an extra quarter or half mile gradually moving from left to right to center throughout the run.

Wonderful trip report. Congratulations!

Thanks Jill! The run was fun, really fun. Should have stopped to get my picture taken with a few more characters. The lines were not long.

Last edited:

Mad Stitch

Nice trip report. Why do they always put the mile 13 marker in the middle of the crowd? It's been like that for the last 3 years. Look at that empty spot by the tree on the left edge of the pic. Not a big deal since there is only .1 to go, I just think it's funny.

Texas84

@Texas84 did you see running on the Santa Ana River trail the markings for the 13-mile mark? I did any many other runners. I wondered aloud where our finishers medal was. Good joke that kept everyone's spirits up.

I didn't see that but there was a 5K mile marker on the 10K. When I saw it I knew it was from the 5K but come on! :D

AUPr8Hd

Sine I have never run down Main Street at Walt Disney World, only seen pictures and video, can't really compare. I did find that Main Street in Disneyland was steady but spaced out enough that we were not bunched up. It was close to the 3-mile marker. There was a lot of wiggle room throughout the entire course. I might have run an extra quarter or half mile gradually moving from left to right to center throughout the run.

Thanks Jill! The run was fun, really fun. Should have stopped to get my picture taken with a few more characters. The lines were not long.

Main Street in Disneyland is better since they don't have half of it marked off on the left side for spectators.

fmingo36

Hi everyone, I recently returned from a quick trip to Disneyland to run the 2013 half Labor Day weekend. I guess this is a trip report, though I have already mentioned a few things in the What Did You Do and Disneyland Half threads.

To get it out of the way, I ran 2:36.0 in Sunday's half, my second ever half marathon and my first ever runDisney half.

2013-09-01_08-19-41_294.jpg

Backtrack to September-October 2012 as I had completed my first ever runDisney race, the 2012 Tower 10 miler. Ran that in 1:55.02. Afterward I questioned myself, can I run 20K? Can I run 3.1 more miles for a 13.1 mile half marathon? In December 2012 at the St. Jude Memphis Marathon / Half / 5K expo I saw a booth set up for the Louisiana Marathon and Half in Baton Rouge, which was putting on its second-ever event the third weekend of January. The thought came into my mind again, can I run a half marathon? I decided to enter and I accomplished the feat, running 2:22.57 on a sea-level flat course through Downtown "Red Stick" and Louisiana State University.

A few days after running the Louisiana Half, I entertained the thought of running in the 2013 Disneyland Half, and maybe complete the Coast 2 Coast Challenge by running in the 2013 Wine and Dine Half. So, after the sticker shock of the half price of $175 plus tax, I bit and registered. A few months later I also swallowed and entered the Wine and Dine Half to compete for the Coast 2 Coast Challenge finishers medal.

Nope, I didn't enter the Dumbo Double Dare because it was just too expensive. The bling is nice, but I was in it for the half.

I trained since April for the Disneyland Half, running through Downtown Memphis, Germany, and Ohio. I used the Galloway training plan and I never got past running 7 miles straight, though in January I ran 13.1.

2013-08-30_12-05-49_431.jpg

Fast-forward to Aug. 28, a Wednesday, my last day of work at the TV station before the half weekend. I put in a full day's work and thought I could get in a few hours of sleep until my Thursday 7am flight out to LAX via Atlanta. Nope. Ended up working past 2am and decided to stay up and make my flight in time. Although I tried to rest on both flights, I ended up reading a book.

Noticed that a lot of passengers on my connecting flight from Atlanta to LAX were also running the half and/or 5K and/or 10K. Cool. Noticed that some of the passengers who also got off waited with me for the Disneyland Express shuttle, which took some 2 hours to get us to Anaheim. Didn't complain too much as the shuttle did get us all to Anaheim and to our hotels.

2013-08-29_16-03-28_548.jpg

After checking into the Riviera on West Katella (okay motel, no frills, across street from Garden Walk on corner of West Katella and Harbor) got my military discounted 3-day park hopper from the cast members and I was on my way inside California Adventure. Later in the day met up with Melissa (@melflip8 ) and her friend Stacy as all 3 of us were running in the half. Melissa was gunning for her Coast 2 Coast medal. Mel and I ran the 2012 Tower 10 miler, so it was really nice to hang out inside the Magic Kingdom Thursday evening. I had been to Disneyland 2 times previous, most recently in 2010, but not since California Adventure had its grand-reopening since its overhaul. This was Mel's first trip to Anaheim.

2013-08-30_15-45-33_767.jpg

We were all surprised that given it being a Thursday before race weekend the parks were quiet. We all got on rides within 5 minutes or less at both parks, with the exception of Radiator Springs Racers and Tower of Terror. We ended our Thursday night watching the "Magical" fireworks show in the VIP section in front of the castle. An instant Disney magic perk from two cast members. Afterward we all three were exhausted as we all had been up for several hours. We said our goodnights and hoped to see each other again, but we did not as our schedules did not synch due to the expo and the increasing amount of runners and fans arriving for race weekend.

Friday decided to sleep in as much as I could, got nearly 8 hours. Expo was to have started at 10am, so I decided to hit West Katella and looped around Garden Walk (some of the half route between miles 11 and 12) before walking to the Disneyland Hotel for the expo.

2013-08-30_12-06-19_386.jpg

I guessed that due to the addition of the Dumbo Double Dare, EVERYONE decided to arrive Friday morning for the two-day expo. It caused two massive lines - one line to pick up your race bib and another line to enter the expo and pick up your race packet and t-shirt(s). I got to the Disneyland Hotel around 11am and by that time the lines had zigged and zagged near the front entrance of the hotel. It was organized chaos and something slightly different than the expos held at the ESPN Sports complex at the Jostens Center at Disney World.

2013-08-30_11-56-07_719.jpg

2013-08-30_12-04-30_487.jpg

2013-08-30_13-24-54_991.jpg

After about two hours of securing my bib, shirt and race packet, I was out of the expo. In that time though I met Jeff Galloway and thanked him. I also saw the new race bling, saw Ali Vincent and Sean Astin, and rummaged around the expo merchandise area. Unfortunately I did not purchase anything because EVERYONE who got there before me was in line for checkout. The checkout line wait time was between 2-3 hours and a cast member decided to close the line at the time I was going to wait for my purchase of a runDisney 13.1 magnet and a t-shirt. It occurred to me that there must have been more guests inside waiting for merchandise purchases than the lines at the theme parks. I was right.

1273105_10151788982212708_1533467433_o.jpg

2013-08-30_12-44-13_548.jpg

Ended up spending the afternoon and evening at both parks, taking advantage of the extra magic hours and left Disneyland after midnight. Cool highlight: I drank a lot of water during my trip. I even got a free bottle of water and a 6-member fastpass after Goofy's Sky School ride broke down. I ended up giving the fastpass to six lovely ladies who were on their bachelorette party in Cars Land.

2013-08-30_16-05-13_525.jpg

Saturday slept in a little and made it back to the parks after 10am but noticed that the lines for some rides, especially in the Magic Kingdom, were long due to race weekend and locals visiting. Ended up leaving the parks around 8pm after a nice pasta dinner at California Adventure underneath the Screamin' roller coaster. Set my alarm for 3:15am and was out the door by 3:45am Sunday and headed toward the Sorcerer's Hat outside the Disneyland Hotel for out WDW Magic meetup and stretch.

2013-08-31_10-39-53_682.jpg

(Race day report and photos below)
Congrats Tim! Great report!
I can't wait to get back to DL next year for the 1/2. When I ran in 2011, Radiator Springs was not complete so I'll be interested to see how the course changed. I honestly felt that the course was extremely crowded through the parks (I had a horrendous 5K time) but once I hit the streets of Anaheim, everything opened up. Of course, you don't get the Disney "MAGIC" on the streets of Anaheim but running through the Angels stadium was pretty cool.

Good luck on the W&D 1/2 in November (those are my 2 races next year--I love the Coast to Coast medal!!)

BTW--I like the official race shirt. Much nicer than the one I got in 2011.

Last edited:

a2grafix

Original Poster
Congrats Tim! Great report!
I can't wait to get back to DL next year for the 1/2. When I ran in 2011, Radiator Springs was not complete so I'll be interested to see how the course changed. I honestly felt that the course was extremely crowded through the parks (I had a horrendous 5K time) but once I hit the streets of Anaheim, everything opened up. Of course, you don't get the Disney "MAGIC" on the streets of Anaheim but running through the Angels stadium was pretty cool.

Good luck on the W&D 1/2 in November (those are my 2 races next year--I love the Coast to Coast medal!!)

BTW--I like the official race shirt. Much nicer than the one I got in 2011.

From what I recall from inside the two parks between miles 1 and 3, we enter into the backstage of DCA where the buses enter and exit (Magic Way? Disney Way? -- across the street is the last stretch before reaching Mile 12, stretch of road that is behind Garden Walk). We ran behind DCA until entering at Paradise Pier area near Goofy's Sky School (old Mulholland Madness) and ran straight to Cars Land and Bugs Land (to the right was World of Color, to the left Little Mermaid ride), turning into as you see into Route 66.

Then we turned left at Luigi's air compressor tires ride, then backstage briefly, then re-entered at the Tower of Terror where the Red Trolley tracks start. Then from there up through where Aladdin musical is turning up to cross past the Carthay Circle, straight ahead to where Soarin' over California is. I thought we might have run into Bugs Land but too tight of choke point. Guess runDisney seemed it better to maneuver backstage briefly and then re-enter at the Tower of Terror.

We then made a right to exit the park, ran through the Esplanade, and into the entrance of the Magic Kingdom. From there, you know the rest.

Pretty nice course layout, my time was slow through both parks, but hey it's Disney and who gets to run through the parks in the early mornings or late and night? We do, the exclusive club that we are.

Looking forward to running slowish through the WDW parks during the Wine and Dine Half. If I can cross at 2:30 or something, that would be cool. Hope I am in B corral again.

Katherine

Great report! Loved the Disneyland Half and will definitely be back! Great course and definitely magical. :) Glad to hear you had a good run and enjoyed DLR!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom