A Week Of...???

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Your Freedom Pasta looks really delicious. I can't believe all the steps involved in that recipe. You have far more patience than I do in the kitchen. You also did a great job of explaining and photographing everything along the way (you never disappoint your culinary students here)! Great presentation. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Your Freedom Pasta looks really delicious. I can't believe all the steps involved in that recipe. You have far more patience than I do in the kitchen. You also did a great job of explaining and photographing everything along the way (you never disappoint your culinary students here)! Great presentation. :)
It's really not that complicated, especially when made in bulk. Since I'll be eating it for 3 meals (last night, this morning, lunch today and tonight) I separated it into smaller portions to "finish" individually to make sure I got the right portioning of sauce/veg/etc per serving. That extra step at the end could easily be skipped...

Also, I should have browned the velvet chicken in butter, not olive oil. It would have given it a better color for the final dish, and would work fine with the cream sauce.

Oh well...lessons learned!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Lobster Roll with Salt and Vinegar Chips

Back to Disney and Harbour House for my take on a Lobster Roll and Kettle Chips. For this, I decided to go with Salt and Vinegar flavour chips, rather than plain, as I thought it would go better with the Lobster Roll.

Here's what I'm copying.

IMG_1078.JPG

Ingredients

Chips
1 Russet Potato
4 cups of white distilled vinegar (or malt vinegar...two different tastes, I prefer white for this)
Popcorn Salt
Oil for frying (vegetable works, but I prefer Peanut due to smoke point and other reasons)

IMG_4243 by englanddg, on Flickr

Lobster Roll
2 lbs of Lobster, cooked and cut into chunks (I bought mine precut and precooked)
3/4 cup good quality mayonnaise (Duke's or something else)
1 heaping tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
About 1/2 a head of Romaine
Hot Dog style buns or hoagie rolls
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped tarragon
2 tsp of kosher or sea salt
1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
Unsalted Butter
1/2 a large red bell pepper
1/2 a large white onion
2 stalks of celery

For the Chips

Step 1) Slice the potato to about 1/8th of an inch.

IMG_4227 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 2) Soak in Vinegar for 2 hours minimum, and up to 24 hours.

IMG_4228 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 3) Dry in paper towels and then fry in 350 degree oil for about 4 minutes

IMG_4231 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4233 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4237 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 4) Place aside on a paper towel or draining setup (as pictured) and allow to cool for a few minutes.

Step 5) Sprinkle with Popcorn Salt to taste.

IMG_4241 by englanddg, on Flickr

For the Lobster Roll

Step 1) Chop the Onion, Red Pepper, Tarragon and Celery finely. Slice the romaine.

IMG_4247 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4246 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4245 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4249 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4244 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 2) Add the Onion, Red Pepper, Celery and Lobster to a large bowl and stir together.

IMG_4248 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 3) Add the Mayo, Mustard, Pepper, Salt and Tarragon to the bowl, and stir together.

IMG_4250 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4251 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 4) Heat your broiler to Low. Slice the bread, being careful to not slice all the way through (like a hot dog bun) and spread the inside of the bread with butter.

IMG_4252 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 5) Broil for about 2 - 3 minutes until the butter is melted and the bread is golden and slightly browned.

Step 6) Place romaine on the bread, then top with the Lobster Salad. Sprinkle with course sea salt, and serve.

IMG_4253 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 7) NOM NOM!

IMG_4257 by englanddg, on Flickr

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
OMG!!! That looks so much MORE delicious than what they serve at the restaurant. It's only 6:25am now, and I could eat that whole thing for breakfast!!!! :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Woo hoo! I love your cooking classes! :happy:
Thx. I have some more coming tonight, or tomorrow night. Depends on how busy I get...

Figaro Fries are my plan though, I prepped the potatoes last night (yeah, homemade fries, done well, take a bit of time)...but, I need to use them tonight or they'll go bad. So, I'll probably do it. The rest of the recipe is rather easy...the most complicated part aside from the fries is the cheese sauce...and there's really not much to that either. The key? Well...you'll find out when I post. <grin>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Figaro Fries

Well, off to Pinocchio Village Haus.

Here's the dish I'm attempting.

figaro-fries.jpg

Ingredients

Frozen or Fresh French Fries
3 slices of bacon
Ranch Dressing (I made my own, but you can use the bottles stuff, I recommend Kraft Lite, or See Recipe Below)
Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
Ripe Tomatoes
Cheddar Cheese Sauce (see Recipe below)

Ranch Dressing
1 clove Garlic
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup good quality Mayo (NOT Kraft)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley
2 tbls fresh dill
1 tbls fresh chives
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
A splash of hot sauce
1/4 cup buttermilk

IMG_4262 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 1) Mince the garlic until it is a paste.

IMG_4269 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 2) Shop the parsley, chives and dill

Step 3) Add all the ingredients, except the buttermilk, to a bowl, and stir.

IMG_4270 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 4) Add the buttermilk. Stir more. Chill for at least 2 hours. Add more buttermilk if you want a looser dressing.

IMG_4272 by englanddg, on Flickr

Cheese Sauce
8 oz of sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tbls of Corn Starch
1 cup of evaporated milk
2 Tsp Hot Sauce

Step 1) Shred the Cheddar Cheese coursly

IMG_4274 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 2) Toss with the Corn Starch. This is actually a trick (though they use different starch) that companies use for preshredded cheese. It will keep it from clumping, and will make the sauce smoother.

IMG_4276 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 3) Add the cheese, hot sauce and evaporated milk to a small saucepan over medium low heat. Allow it to come to a simmer, whisking often. Continue to whisk until reduced.

IMG_4285 by englanddg, on Flickr

Final Presentation

Step 1) Chop the lettuce

IMG_4282 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 2) Chop the Tomato

IMG_4278 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 3) Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat, then chop it.

IMG_4279 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4280 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 4) Fry the french fries.

IMG_4290 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4291 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 5) Plate in the following order: French fries, cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, bacon bits, ranch dressing.

Step 6) DEVOUR!

IMG_4307 by englanddg, on Flickr

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
What a delicious recipe!! I never realized that Figaro Fries were served at Pinocchio Village Haus. The next time I got to WDW, I'm getting some of those! The tip I found most intriguing was about the cornstarch (or other starch) and pre-shredded cheese, to keep the cheese from clumping. Lastly, the final picture of your Figaro Fries that you shared, I could not view for some odd reason; although I could clearly see all the other ones in your post.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
What a delicious recipe!! I never realized that Figaro Fries were served at Pinocchio Village Haus. The next time I got to WDW, I'm getting some of those! The tip I found most intriguing was about the cornstarch (or other starch) and pre-shredded cheese, to keep the cheese from clumping. Lastly, the final picture of your Figaro Fries that you shared, I could not view for some odd reason; although I could clearly see all the other ones in your post.
Sadly, Figaro Fries have joined SpectroMagic and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
They were deemed too good for the masses and sent to the scrap heap.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Pic is fixed.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Cheese companies generally use a combination of wood pulp (cellulose on the package ingredients) and potato starch for their shredded cheese bags. Arguable if it affects the taste much, but it is a neat tidbit. I used corn starch if I shred at home and I'm making a creamy sauce and/or keeping it for nachos or something.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Mango Poppyseed Vinaigrette and Polynesian Inspired Salad

Ok, I don't think they serve this anymore, but it sounded good. So, lets stop by the Luau at Polynesian Resort and have ourselves a salad!

Ingredients

IMG_4320 by englanddg, on Flickr

1 small Golden Mango (or 1/2 of a more common Haden Mango, either works)
1 tbls Corn Syrup
2 tbls Molasses
4 tbls Sugar
1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Clove of Garlic
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tbls Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp White Pepper

2 cups canola oil
1 tsbls poppy seeds

3 Manderin Oranges
1/4 of a White onion
8 oz of leafy lettuce (I used romaine, but this would be good with a spinach / arugula blend as well, I think)
Sesame Seeds

Step 1) Wash peel and chop the mango. Add it to a food processor (you could also use a blender).

IMG_4321 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 2) Blitz for about 30 seconds, until the mango is pureed.

Step 3) Then add the rest of the ingredients except the poppy seeds and the canola oil and blitz for about a minute.

IMG_4322 by englanddg, on Flickr

IMG_4323 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 4) Slowly drizzle in the canola oil while continuing to blitz. About 2 minutes.

IMG_4326 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 6) The dressing should thicken up and emulsify. When creamy, add the poppy seeds and blitz for another 30 seconds or so.

IMG_4327 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 5) Slice the onion, removing the centers (so you only have the slivers) and chop the oranges. Toss with the lettuce.

IMG_4328 by englanddg, on Flickr

Step 6) Drizzle some dressing on a plate, top with your lettuce / onion / orange blend, drizzle with some more dressing and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.

DEVOUR!

IMG_4329 by englanddg, on Flickr

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That salad looks awesome! Nicely done, as usual. (You have to ask yourself, why do they remove delicious items like this from their menu?) I love tropical fruit flavors like mangoes. Especially in the hotter months, I like fruit/green salad combinations. The poppy seeds are a fun addition, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom