Trip Report A Walk in Walt's Footsteps: Max's California Adventure

Hello to All - As the title suggests the Max family has returned from a fun adventure in the Golden State.

For those who have not read the PTR I have copied a link below:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-going-to-do-i-am-going-to-disneyland.929704/

If you do not want to read the pre trip report I understand - there are so many PTR, TR ,Live reports on the go it is a lot of work to keep up with everything.

We will start with the players:

Me - Max - turned 51 a few days before we left (and yes I wore my Bday button proudly - more to come on that one though). Trip number 25 to a Disney Resort ( WDW, DLR, DLP and TDL)
IMG_0535.JPG

My DW - T - age is just a number - She really likes Disney, really loves DCA and is over the moon on going back to San Diego (Trip number 23 to a Disney Resort (WDW, DLR and DLP)
IMG_1058.JPG

My older DD - S - 22 - just finished her undergrad in Music Therapy, working at a summer camp and starting her mandatory intenrship to become certified in September. Trip number 20 (WDW,DLR,DLP)
IMG_0258.JPG

My younger DD - C - 20 (not yet legal to drink in your country) - almost halfway through Biomedical Engineering - just finished a school term in August (co-op program) - starting to work in September - same trip count as her sister.
IMG_0224.JPG

Next up: Day 1 travel day and first day in park all in one!!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I will be sure to make time for this tr. I look forward to your puns.:)
Glad you could join us - will do my best to please

< Memo to self ~ if I ever have a Magic meet up with Max, do not allow him to take the selfie. >
And make sure he knows about purple walls, not just "nondescript" walls
Oooh, good one! I'd forgotten about his lame wall pic. :joyfull:

Hey - I don't have to come here and take this abuse you know
I just turn off the laptop and get this all day long at home.;)

Max

75disney

Wow! You met a lot of characters in such a short amount of time in FL. I agree with you about Guardians... It is fun, not scary. Due to lines, we only ride it once, but we all really enjoyed it. I thought the preshow in The Collector's office was really done, especially Rocket. I regret only riding it once. Oh well, I'll just have to do another DLR trip to ride it again!

Longers

I'm late! - oops, happy belated birthday and loving all the pictures.

I've never been to California so will eagerly follow to see the differences.
That's so good that the characters just wander that's something I miss from WDW as back in the day you used to get more character meet and greets.

And so glad @Tuvalu asked the question about the birthday button as I would have been asking otherwise!

Looking forward to more........

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow! You met a lot of characters in such a short amount of time in FL. I agree with you about Guardians... It is fun, not scary. Due to lines, we only ride it once, but we all really enjoyed it. I thought the preshow in The Collector's office was really done, especially Rocket. I regret only riding it once. Oh well, I'll just have to do another DLR trip to ride it again!
Sounds like a good reason to go back , especially if you combine it with the opening of SW and the eventual Marvel area.
We were able to get on more than once, how many times you ask - STAY TUNED!!!

I've never been to California so will eagerly follow to see the differences.
That's so good that the characters just wander that's something I miss from WDW as back in the day you used to get more character meet and greets.
I understand the difficulty with getting from England to the West coast but I do strongly recommend a trip - just do it during peak times so that you can have enough hours in the parks and a better chance of everything being operational (not being refurbed).
The character interactions just feel more natural and less staged in DLR

good to hear you enjoyed GotG Mission Breakout!

Seems like a cool ride - as long as they don't touch the original Tower or Terror.

Yes I agree, TOT in Florida is better than DLR ever was and must remain

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2 cont'd- Disney California Adventure
So after watching the awesome dance off (Gamora even got into it, Star Lord was more of a joke but Groot was impressive) we moved on to Carsland
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG

Not sure was I was not smiling - probably the heat

C and I wanted to do single rider on RSR (Radiator Spring Racers) so S and T relaxed in Flos with there Starbucks.
Unfortunately the single rider line was backed up so C and I rode Luigi's instead
We had never ridden this version (it was the floating tires before)
Then (2012)
P1050719.JPG
P1050722.JPG

and now(2017)
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG

The cars dance together in a pattern - we had the mamba
It was cute and we had fun - but at the very end you do a couple of complete spins
When we showed it to S and T they decided to pass.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2 - More Carsland , lunch (almost too cute to eat) and then back to the park
So after that ride we decided to head back for an early lunch (probably around 11:30ish)
IMG_0413.JPG

So the hunt was on for sour dough bread to eat with our hummus/guacamore dips that we purchased.
( We have food allergies and one vegetarian so the grocery store trip was essential)

Could not find any in the San Fran / Cannery row area near Boudin Bakery - we were directed to Hollywood land
We had a special bread in mind
A wonderful cast member named Slater went above and beyond the call of duty - guiding us around to two different shops until we found this:
IMG_0415.JPG

Yes - Baby Groot sour dough - classic! - the eyes are olives.
Wine and bread on the balcony was amazing

Went back to DCA after lunch and took this pic - I swear I take it everytime but it is a hard one to skip
IMG_0417.JPG

California Screamin ( Get it , dreaming, screaming) is an smooth roller coaster with one inversion and an amazing soundtrack

Not sure why they did not put the "g" on the end - probably budget cuts

Only a 10 min wait posted and S got this
IMG_0418.JPG

Oh yeah - we know about the ride pic and where it is
IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

Rode in the back row to get the full effect

Next up was Little Mermaid - same ride as WDW but the queue is no where close (see below).

IMG_0425.JPG

The green army men were out doing some dancing drills as we walked out of Ariel's ride.
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG

Walked back into Carsland
IMG_0433.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2 cont'd
We went to back to Guardians but only 3 rode it ( S decided to skip - she went to Animation - which is a cool(literally and figuratively))
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG

Second ride and second song!
Pat Benatar - Hit me with your best shot

Best line? We get to the top - doors open up - Rocket says - "Hey is that Disneyland?"

Walked over to Animation and picked up S and went to dinner
This guy was outside to greet us
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG

Dinner was here
IMG_0442.JPG

Some of you might recognize this same building in DHS
It is the Carthy Circle Theatre - the location of the premiere of Snow White in 1937
High level restaurant with some really great photos on the wall

First is a display case in the lobby
IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Day 2 - More Carsland , lunch (almost too cute to eat) and then back to the park
So after that ride we decided to head back for an early lunch (probably around 11:30ish) View attachment 231996
So the hunt was on for sour dough bread to eat with our hummus/guacamore dips that we purchased.
( We have food allergies and one vegetarian so the grocery store trip was essential)

Could not find any in the San Fran / Cannery row area near Boudin Bakery - we were directed to Hollywood land
We had a special bread in mind
A wonderful cast member named Slater went above and beyond the call of duty - guiding us around to two different shops until we found this:
View attachment 231997
Yes - Baby Groot sour dough - classic! - the eyes are olives.
Wine and bread on the balcony was amazing

Went back to DCA after lunch and took this pic - I swear I take it everytime but it is a hard one to skip
View attachment 231998
California Screamin ( Get it , dreaming, screaming) is an smooth roller coaster with one inversion and an amazing soundtrack

Not sure why they did not put the "g" on the end - probably budget cuts

Only a 10 min wait posted and S got this
View attachment 231999

Oh yeah - we know about the ride pic and where it is
View attachment 232000
View attachment 232002
Rode in the back row to get the full effect

Next up was Little Mermaid - same ride as WDW but the queue is no where close (see below).

View attachment 232004

The green army men were out doing some dancing drills as we walked out of Ariel's ride.
View attachment 232006 View attachment 232007

Walked back into Carsland
View attachment 232023

It's early and I'm exhausted and I totally forgot you were in Disneyland when I was reading this..... and maybe my point still stands.... but I was appalled reading that Boudins didn't have sourdough bread. The Boudins shop on the wharf is like a sourdough haven and we get it every time we go to the city!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
As a frequent DLP goer.. Yes I can confirm.. I should count the steps between both just to see how close it really is :D
The engineer in me says Yes - go measure the number of steps - but then I realize that I did not do it in DLR so I have nothing to compare it to!!!

They ruined Luigi's. Loved the simplicity of the flying tires.
New cars are cute but the spins would kill me. :(
The spins are not too bad but it did scare off T and S.
At least it has a better storyline than random floating tires.(and then they added random beach balls !!)

Love those display cases with pictures etc - and that TOT pic is classic :)
Switch the T for a G - GOG - Guardians of the Galaxy
We were trying for Home Alone!

Going to dinner at Carthay is similar to Brown Derby in DHS with all the photographs

It's early and I'm exhausted and I totally forgot you were in Disneyland when I was reading this..... and maybe my point still stands.... but I was appalled reading that Boudins didn't have sourdough bread. The Boudins shop on the wharf is like a sourdough haven and we get it every time we go to the city!

Just to clarify - Boudins had lots of sourdough bread - they just did not have Baby Groot - so that is what started the quest around Hollywood land.

Max

Longers

The engineer in me says Yes - go measure the number of steps - but then I realize that I did not do it in DLR so I have nothing to compare it to!!!

The spins are not too bad but it did scare off T and S.
At least it has a better storyline than random floating tires.(and then they added random beach balls !!)

Switch the T for a G - GOG - Guardians of the Galaxy
We were trying for Home Alone!

Going to dinner at Carthay is similar to Brown Derby in DHS with all the photographs

Just to clarify - Boudins had lots of sourdough bread - they just did not have Baby Groot - so that is what started the quest around Hollywood land.

Max
Oops, is GOG a similar ride to TOT?

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Oops, is GOG a similar ride to TOT?
Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout is a retheme of the Tower of Terror ride in Disney California Adventure park.
The ride was shut down in late 2016 or early 2017 and was changed by earlier this summer.
The uproar was big , especially in my house!!!, but by the end of the trip everyone admitted that they either liked it or loved it.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the black and white vintage photos of Walt.
The collection in the Carthay Circle is quite large - I didn't even make it around to all the little rooms and walls
More to look for next time!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2 cont'd- After dinner , still in DCA by not much longer- DL is calling us
So after dinner we went into Hollywod land to ride a favourite of C"s
Monster's Inc Mike and Sulley to the Rescue
I have no pictures but for those not familiar it is a dark ride through Monstropolis and follows the movie story line (mostly)

However at the very end is Roz - an interactive AA that talks to each vehicle as it stops in front of her.
(think Tutle Talk with Crush but with a large AA)
This picture is from a 2007 trip
IMG_4331.JPG

Well this time she spoke to me
"You, the man in the middle row, your name is now Clarence....."
then when we started to move
" Goodbye Clarence!!"

Now if you can imagine a Roz voice saying it then you realize how funny it could be.

So my name for the remainder of the trip became Clarence
(@Tuvalu - try to keep up - Max - Andrew - Clarence)

After this we watched a bit of the Marvel Avengers recruitment show - similar to Jedi Academy - where they select younger ones for the audience and have them battle members of Hydra on the stage with Hawkeye and Black Widow

Next we headed to Disneyland because this was our only night to see Fantasmic and Remember
Well we had Saturday but the air travel and time change knocked us out pretty good.
Monday and Tuesday has zero, yes zero, night time shows, FW or parades at Disneyland!!
The only thing left was World of Colour at DCA.

When we got to Indy it had a 30 min standby and we were 75 min away from Fantasmic
We went for it
Outdoor queue pics of the temple
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG

Nice George Lucas tribute on the inside queue
IMG_0511.JPG

Words to life by...
IMG_0512.JPG

After we walked over to the Haunted Mansion and found an okay spot to watch both F! and the FW show - Remember
The new version of Fantasmic was really good - sorry no pics - I know @ajrwdwgirl took some great pictures for her TR.

Remember first debuted for the 50th in 2005
This is a special one for me as it was our first trip to Disneyland and we were with our good friends (see teacup shot for all the kids together).
So hearing it one (last?) time was special.
I also found out that the projections they normaly put on the castle are also projected on a water spray at the Rivers of America.
(learn something new everyday)
It also helped that it wasn't as crowded as the hub.

Next up - you want to ride what at 11pm???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom