Trip Report A Walk in Walt's Footsteps: Max's California Adventure

Hello to All - As the title suggests the Max family has returned from a fun adventure in the Golden State.

For those who have not read the PTR I have copied a link below:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-going-to-do-i-am-going-to-disneyland.929704/

If you do not want to read the pre trip report I understand - there are so many PTR, TR ,Live reports on the go it is a lot of work to keep up with everything.

We will start with the players:

Me - Max - turned 51 a few days before we left (and yes I wore my Bday button proudly - more to come on that one though). Trip number 25 to a Disney Resort ( WDW, DLR, DLP and TDL)
IMG_0535.JPG

My DW - T - age is just a number - She really likes Disney, really loves DCA and is over the moon on going back to San Diego (Trip number 23 to a Disney Resort (WDW, DLR and DLP)
IMG_1058.JPG

My older DD - S - 22 - just finished her undergrad in Music Therapy, working at a summer camp and starting her mandatory intenrship to become certified in September. Trip number 20 (WDW,DLR,DLP)
IMG_0258.JPG

My younger DD - C - 20 (not yet legal to drink in your country) - almost halfway through Biomedical Engineering - just finished a school term in August (co-op program) - starting to work in September - same trip count as her sister.
IMG_0224.JPG

Next up: Day 1 travel day and first day in park all in one!!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Red Rose Tavern continued.
IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG

@Doc Disney -Megan this next one is for you!!!
IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG

Overall the atmosphere was great but the food was so so
My burger had a horse radish sauce that was strong
It would have been okay if it was even but I would get some bites with none and others were overwhelming

I suggest that if you can check out the inside but eat somewhere else

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Great start! Love the view from your room. It's been 2 years since we have been back to Disneyland, after reading your report I may have book a trip.
I never knew they did that with the fast pass, but like you said it would cost a arm and a leg just to use it.

75disney

Pirates is definitely better at DL. The storyline is better developed with the additional show scenes. And let's not forget the two drops. It was my favorite ride; we rode it 3 times! Red Rose Tavern had a lot of nice details. We didn't stop in there because my kids didn't like the menu. Thanks for the pics of it so I could see what I missed.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Looking forward to following you adventures.:)
Thank you for following along - I will try not to disappoint

Looking forward to following your report:)
And I am looking forward to telling you all about it!!

So excited to read about your trip!
I am excited to write it up.
As I mentioned to @Zipitidoda I usually want to wait a couple of weeks before I start to write the TR.
This way the glow has worn off, I am back to the regular routine, and now I get to relive it all over again!!

I always either take a picture, or make a note in my phone where I parked!
Avoids the embarrassment on return day for me!!

Totally agree with you on PotC in Disneyland! I loved it. I had always wanted to ride it but, with that aside. The drops were amazing and it is longer isn't it? It felt longer to me, anyway. We text each other the parking, because we always forget too.
POTC at DLR is longer and better
Texting each other - good idea as well

Great start! Love the view from your room. It's been 2 years since we have been back to Disneyland, after reading your report I may have book a trip.
I never knew they did that with the fast pass, but like you said it would cost a arm and a leg just to use it.
The Maxpass sounds great until you get there and realize you need a cellular data plan to use it.
Hopefully they can figure it out
I filled out a detailed survey upon return and gave them my 2 cents (1.6 cents American) .

What an amazing view from your room. Could you see World of Colour?
Yes we could hear and sort of see WOC from the balcony.

I'm late to the party, but I'm here now! All these DL reports are making me very jealous! I will get there someday!! Can't wait to hear more!
You are not late - just getting going. Thanks for coming aboard.
As I mentioned before a min of one trip to Anaheim should be on the bucket list for Disney fans.

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Pirates is definitely better at DL. The storyline is better developed with the additional show scenes. And let's not forget the two drops. It was my favorite ride; we rode it 3 times! Red Rose Tavern had a lot of nice details. We didn't stop in there because my kids didn't like the menu. Thanks for the pics of it so I could see what I missed.
Agree with you on the storyline being stronger - we did it once this trip (I think - let me check the notes) and loved it as always

Red Rose was worth it for the atmosphere and the desserts!! - maybe next time dessert only will have to be the plan:)

DL Pirates is awesome.

Grand Californian seems like a perfect. Good looking crew you got there @amjt660 !
Grand Cali is a wonderful hotel. I am hoping my 2 DDs will join soon and add some pictures.
I realized why I did not take any on day 1.
I was the one rushing around parking the car while they were doing the checkin (and taking pictures)
When I finally got into the hotel it was "OK room is ready - lets go)
I did slow down and enjoy it later in the week

It is a good looking crew for the most part - unfortunately I included myself in most of the pics ;)

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following along !
The representative from Belgium is duly noted and we are happy she is along for the ride!!

Im in!!

Wow...what a great view from your room!!!

Poutine flatbread?!!! Have u ever had it? Sounds amazing
I have try the poutine flatbread - not really a fan of the cheese curds (I know - how un Canadian of me!!)
Thank you for following

I'm in Max!! :) Can't wait to hear the rest. Maybe you doing your TR will inspire me to finish mine! :joyfull:
Oh my - that sounds like a challenge!!

OK Flynnderella - Challenge accepted - lets see who can get their TR done first while still maintaining the high quality that all WDWMagic members expect and deserve

Max

Laurenciaa

The representative from Belgium is duly noted and we are happy she is along for the ride!!

I have try the poutine flatbread - not really a fan of the cheese curds (I know - how un Canadian of me!!)
Thank you for following

Oh my - that sounds like a challenge!!

OK Flynnderella - Challenge accepted - lets see who can get their TR done first while still maintaining the high quality that all WDWMagic members expect and deserve

Max
Your witty remarks always make me smile! If you ever find your day job boring at Toyota, we here, at EY Brussels, need someone as spirited as you to join our team! Thank you again for sharing your story with us! :inlove::joyfull:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Your witty remarks always make me smile! If you ever find your day job boring at Toyota, we here, at EY Brussels, need someone as spirited as you to join our team! Thank you again for sharing your story with us! :inlove::joyfull:
Wow!
Not everyday you get a job offer

I will consider it but will need some convincing - perhaps a job interview at DLP - with a stay at the Disneyland hotel - and wine/dine at Walt's???
All expenses paid for the whole family to come over of course ;)

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 1 cont'd
T went back to room to switch out the footwear
C , S and I wandered and found this
IMG_0215.JPG

40 min standby line but we went for single rider and were on in 9 min
C and I were the same car and S was on her own
We rode the Tomorrow land side (Matterhorn has two tracks that are slightly different)
Somehow S got really wet on this ride - C and I were fine
New Yeti was moving and growling - No DISCO YETI FOR THIS PARK
That is really the only part better than Florida - advantage WDW with Everest

Walked through T Land
IMG_0216.JPG

Did not watch this one - been there done that
But this was disappointing (even though we had tried to be prepared)
IMG_0217.JPG

As others have said before there is no comparison between WDW and DLR versions
Shame it was closed - it was getting ready for Halloween setup.

Met up with T at Star Traders after we found this shirt
IMG_0220.JPG

And then found this wall - not sure the exact colour but it seems like standing in front of a non descript wall is now the thing to do so here goes..
IMG_0222.JPG

Buzz was down so we kept walking
IMG_0223.JPG

Took this one of C -it is a tradition
IMG_0224.JPG

Here she is back in 2008
P1000323.JPG

Ended up getting another FP for BTMRR.
Then we headed toward Critter Country
Ride line selfies
IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

This last one should give you a good indication which parent C takes after.....

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 1 cont'd
A rare on ride pic from Winne the Pooh
IMG_0236.JPG

This ride is similar to WDW but has a different storyline and the vehicles do not bounce when we see Tigger

Next up was our fp for indy
These two are from the queue and our main man Sallah who does the safety spiel for the ride
For those who have ridden it

You see the excellence of this invention?
IMG_0237.JPG

Do not look into the eyes of the idol- it can be dangerous, very dangerous
IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

Indiana Jones Adventure - The Temple of Forbidden Eye ( OR et le Temple Peril in DLR OR Temple of the Crystal Skull in Tokyo) uses the same ride system as WDW Dinosaur - but that is where the comparison ends
Funny, wild, exhilarating , and just truly awesome - Top 5 ride for me of all the parks I have been to.

Next up was Big Thunder , in the dark, in the back row
Truly was the wildest ride in the wilderness - the lift scenes - especially in the blast tunnel seem better than WDW to me.

Decided to call it a night at 8:15 - because it felt like 11:15 and we were up at 3:30.

Pics from the walk out - the light is always left on for Walt
IMG_0243.JPG

Saw this shirt and had to take a pic for @DisneyBound2017
IMG_0244.JPG

I need a shirt that says "Feed me Disney snacks and tell me I'm pretty" :hilarious::hilarious:
I hope this one is close enough for you

Next up - Day 2 and our first park hopping day (it is really easy to do it)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom