Trip Report A Very Delsym Disney!

This is my VERY first trip report so be prepared...it may suck :)
I did a pre-trip report but it was very lame and basically only consisted of me whining every hour or so during my last 2 days at work. You can read it here if you want...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/i-am-trying-to-can-right-now-but-literally-cant.904881/
but like I said...lame.

First let me give you a rundown of our trip attendees :)
Me - Jenn 40, (we left to drive down on my big 4 0 :))
My hubby, Tom 43
My mom, Leona 61
My oldest daughter, Robin 21
My youngest daughter, Willow 16
And My son, Shade 6

This trip was literally our first family vacation in 10 years to the date! We arrived at WDW on 9/18/2005 and arrived this time on 9/18/2015 :). We are from Chicago and moved to Lexington, KY 9 years ago...my mom followed us shortly after. Since then we have used every hour of PTO to go home and visit with family. This year we were greedy and used it for ourselves lol. Our countdown started at 477 days and it actually didn't take as long as I had expected it to. I wish I would have made a better pre-trip report because I planned the heck out of this vacation and it would have been fun to document...oh well, next time :)

I am at work so I will try to post as much as I can when I can and I will try really hard not to ramble and/or be too boring :)

To be continued...

JennSmith

Original Poster
These are pics of the stuff the kids got for the Welcome Celebration. It looks like a mess but it wasn't. The cake in the pic was not part of what we got. The chocolate cake in the pic is actually a cake I ordered for myself. I did it because I thought my mom would stress because there wasn't a birthday cake for me. Little did I know she had already ordered a cake for me like I mentioned previously. We had cake all week lol.
SAM_0050.JPG
SAM_0049.JPG

JennSmith

Original Poster
Day Three - 9/19/2015...Magic Kingdom Part 1

Two things...
1. At this point in the trip I can no longer lie to myself. I was sick. Yes, I was full of adrenaline but no, it did not matter. My throat felt like death. My head felt worse than death. I was so congested that I felt like I was high even before medicating myself. My husband was sicker. Robin was coughing like she was a 98 year old that had smoked 4 packs a day for most of her life and Willow sounded like she had pneumonia. We were a mess and we were passing the Delsym like it was beer bong at a frat party.
2. And this is important...leave now if any of the following applies to you...
You hate children, you have only well behaved children, you have very young children that have not yet blessed you with tantrums from the realm of hell, (can I say that on here?), you have children who have had tantrums and so you think you know but you really don't know. I tell you this because the night did not end well. I tell you this because I know my children are not perfect but I also don't want to read nasty comments. I tell you this because I get it, I judge people all the time...I am the Patron Saint of Judgy B!7@#$ and you can judge me all you want but please not for how this night ended. I tell you because at one point in my life all of the above applied to me...I hated kids, I had no kids, I had well behaved kids, I had kids that threw "tantrums" so I thought I knew but I did not really know but NOW I know...you know what I'm saying? So at this point in my life I actually rarely judge when I see kids throwing absolute fits. Because you just never know what is going on at the one moment. So go on...come back at day 4 if you need to. Just please don't read this and then be a jerk, okay?

So here it goes...I really wanted to make it to MK for rope drop and the welcome show. We left the resort at like 8:10 and I really thought that would be enough time but it wasn't. Fail. That's okay though - we were at MK and I was not going to let that make me sad. We did end up seeing the Trolley Show and that made me happy! We had FPs for Space Mountain, 7DMT, and Peter Pan. I was a little nervous as to how and where to start for 2 reasons...1, I was worried that Shade would be leery about riding the rides. We have never taken him to an amusement park before and he is nervous when it comes to the unknown. So I didn't want to start out with something that would ruin him for the rest of the trip and make him not want to try anything. 2, I wanted to make sure we were not bouncing back and forth between Tomorrwland and Fantasyland because of the FPs. I wanted it to just flow smoothly. We started out with the PeopleMover and then the Astro Orbiter and so on. Once we did Stitch and he survived I figured we could finally move on to our FP for Space Mtn. I was so happy when he made it out without crying and a smile on his face! We were able to finish Tomorrowland and part of Fantasyland before we headed back to the hub so I could see the Festival of Fantasy parade. This parade was AWESOME. I loved it! I had to rearrange our FPs shortly after the 60 day window opened because I really wanted to see this parade and I am glad I did that! I will post pics after I write this up just because of the tedious nature of posting from home. After the parade we went back to Fantasyland for a bit before having to head back to the Crystal Palace for a dinner ADR. It was pretty decent...the characters came over fairly quickly which made me happy because when we were seated we were told it could take up to 90 minutes for them to come. When I first heard that I was like "uh, no...we will be stuffed and done within like 45 minutes...this could suck if we have to wait that long" but we didn't so no harm, no foul. After dinner we went back to try to finish up Fantasyland before the castle show and Wishes started. We were pretty successful...the only thing we didn't end up doing was the Journey of the Little Mermaid because it was almost time for the Electric Light Parade, castle show and then Wishes.

Okay so here's your last chance to bail and come back for day 4 because things are about to get ugly.
Still here? Okay....
Shade is a good kid. Honest - I mean he's boy so he's a little more naughty than the girls ever were but he is far from being a major jerk. I can honestly say in his 6 years on this planet he has had MAYBE 3 major meltdowns and EVERY time it was because he was over tired. When he gets like that there is no bribing him, no threatening him, no sweet talking him, no mean talking him, no counting to 5, no anything at all. Nothing. Sleep...that's all that will help. And I'm telling you three times has he ever been this bad and yes, I know it has been my fault each and every time for letting him get to that point. I knew this going into the trip. All day I watched him and monitored him and made sure I was reading him and his reactions, his mood, the fact that he gets a lazy eye when he gets tired...all of it, AND HE WAS FINE!!!! Even the lazy eye never made an appearance. So what the heck happened?!?! How did he go from fine to not even remotely fine in like 5 minutes flat? I'll never know...but it happened. After Wishes I knew we should wrap things up. I asked my husband if he minded taking Shade and heading towards the ferry and then the car while I took the girls into the shops along Main St for a bit. We like to shop and we hadn't done that yet at all that day. My husband said he didn't mind at all. At that point I told Shade that he was going to go with daddy and that he could even have my phone for a little bit so he could play a game or watch something once they got to the car. He was totally fine with it, I gave them both a kiss and we parted ways. Do any of the rest of you get TERRIBLE phone reception while at WDW? We do. The girls and I were in the store for about 20 minutes before both of their phones started blowing up with text messages from my husband because we finally got a spurt of reception. He was freaking out! Apparently once they got near the Main St .train station Shade decided he wanted mommy. My husband did not want to go back into the stores to look for me because he was afraid we would cross paths without knowing and I would end up at the car with the girls and my mom, (forgot about her, didn't ya? :)) and he would still be wandering around trying to find us and since there was awful reception we wouldn't be able to call each other. He tried to explain this to Shade but he kept insisting and insisting that he wanted me. At that point it escalated into a full blown tantrum with my son saying over and over again "I want my mommy, I want my mommy". Needless to say Shade was approached by 2 different women who started asking him questions regarding his mommy and her whereabouts. My husband said neither would even acknowledge the answers he was trying to provide them and shortly after the second one left security came and starting to question my husband and his relationship to our son. Ugh. I cannot even. First...I am thankful for the women and security - props to them! Second...how humiliating is that? My husband was furious and I really don't blame him at all. I don't even blame any witnesses for thinking my child was awful and my husband sucked at parenting. Neither are true but I get it...you see one moment and think you know the whole situation. Still...it was awful. By the time I was finally getting the messages I dropped everything we were going to buy and just booked it to the front of the park. I got there and Shade was done with the outburst...like it never happened. Once we were in the car Shade said about 3 words and was out. Lesson learned...even when he seems fine, he can't go all day. I should have known better. We all took our shots of Delsym when we got back to the room and for about 10 minutes I wished I had something harder after what happened lol. You know for the first few days after we got home I kept checking that thread that was started recently - "what was the worst meltdown you've seen at the parks" because I was SO afraid I would see someone talking about this night. Why would I do that to myself? Glutton for punishment I guess.

Stay tuned for pics and Day 4 and thanks for not judging us too hard!!

JennSmith

Original Poster
Shade driving on the Tomorrowland Speedway. Look, I know he can't really do any damage or anything but he was really good! He didn't hit the car on the rail that controls it even once! I was shocked!
DDlG2xAbmqADJdKPKuh4cDD5biTi1Wmti4dW4aNyUY2OCn3AqdBvdv3MJq5dxDa5GUTn6muXz7r7DNbjY9cG6GsID0Lt9cMswFTbOAYe8R9yXA3-YWlz7Dt3N9lOC2OQ-3qLnqAUbmGqRh7ev-SRPdWYrQdeVdycSAjCTr8TC2mY1lqcg4c44Stlq1j4Vb5Z1iZ3I8yQ50SfkIYXDWv8SbHXmUxMStkvi8wX2YoS8TO05PPIyhsojZhzaXJEHBJUoCbf5eX3sna7m9h85faZUcpZ3Fe1_E1TQqjU91JMWKStO2M63AeOKaKFX0Dz9a2pUAsv2IyAasXonixq966iJLikdxRzS70iOjduuCd9y0Yyk9N0ucFxcCZa-eUaJ_NB3ARh9spCWu7RycIp6BHuKr-dn-mnNuw7vTIp5zc-5YWbpE4ncZmI_QVLOhRYPmdz74CNwiGxqhYzYJ9V-6c54-8YR_3iQ8u8ioYeVPM1HGd-7GvOf6VnG-z-TLKUUHGDQXu80DCg6iVZIlvFp6jUF9ASgGhLK5lcxCXZsC2AeGM=w1421-h799-no

My husband and girls in a teacup...
w5A44lkeVx8LO3-o43Yi32Mvc_tS9XLUcHcgDLcBh7xhWXlAm1UA851OVeV54b7gLUpiqCUqPBnWfK3nCWs9_jE_ceIYIkBIqQQC8bxwaIivwzdvDjS70eszTwHDrSJWK0FC5mtovWiVwWYH12eZsmeXnt0-SR1ir5CRgQ_tlfHfjPOkMGGByokSfnl3E5rxXEVjF_39TzoIwsLI5qNzt4CePGYK6IkVU6EHgJTfRh7zvaXgTar6D6CynMSTMRe1VhJ-a236ZRQEngOs5S4prI-rgSTjTzJ30VaIAFnaF3yWRmoX42a20jHzEa1Im4n3Lff_N47rPj4sck6vSkOY_oSkPDMR1CXaqubZN5tjvvBIhBjJxiftwpolAXRQWF098iynWzAqS6ykr4J4CHaSs69szENVxBjvI5GN_sy9RNGaWSjPJSvNm5dqDOyxbZfo8zi3YrpbIx-zSX7FGmbs4VdDPwb4CUkqXxG5ZFVs9cpDtPzl0ZDn_-qMFIQHazbBhtNWzeRdK-wtyQaOfnnPm51Z1sUZ7yXJtb778NE72Gg=w1421-h799-no

Tommy and Shade on the PeopleMover...
dUkDukqok-VM8G7bEBCJE22xa4_zWFjGbMHz-17J3FECljtgGRrwoTl0ACw8maBkofULpX1kj8su39ff7x9vt2wyG2B1aYGFCBOZ379nrHkozwz3CoRgpNY5jpn02xi8duevyHCBX8hQdGmxkMEHPl2K6Nuo0h1rHHD80JarIzLRBCsvux_omYvpqqrik-ZoVJA4s8HrcwMyhhXVFeg4AhEJd2hO_NxzkLcZIUrI5_gZgHkYfglFOIQo7OmzmLHNZCrscMh0Mz_hAne-WaAtoUPd-obzwJujY2f2uHmcXQIzZEV6VfgalzSXy17Ub-c6EuS_T5sMbKXWNGf8gCbj5bP3HqQjRHZ6-xGMfGu1n5XOLu_DbxiL-pFdXaT55fwglbVtSvnpJN-kzdGqOpjDCOjm8vlq9dEnQbvbXeRaVfHmrMuyq3wfMF8jfpC794trsI2RO3LDBuooRDxmNy6F6wfLhT1FJmw9HuTv-a2bti59kiTbzREek0NJUaUNHs-3waRjHtgR4uMyCKul8CI8x37tIn4a85xjKICGLrsFiLc=w1421-h799-no

Robin and me in line for Mosters, Inc Laugh Floor - surprise! I'm fat! :)
12042711_10207796713020243_6567904458897631376_n.jpg

Here's the thing though...I'm not THAT fat. Seriously, I know I'm not skinny but I really do look like 30 pounds fatter in all of these pics - blah!!!! Not photogenic at all!

Tony the Tigger

Clearly everyone else has abandoned this thread in horror, but I'm going to have to speak up and judge.

It's that whole "deep dish" thing. It's cake, not pizza. (Sigh...Chicago...)

Like we've never dealt with tantrums before and been mortified. Like you're such a terrible Mom that when your son got overtired, he didn't want to be apart from you for 20 minutes.

Now, your husband getting questioned by security, that would freak me out lol.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Great trip report so far.Loving the pics (the ones i can see).
As for the Meltdown ... It happens to everyone.I have seen adults have far worse than the kids in general.As for being questioned by security i can understand why that happened but feel very sorry for your husband that it did.

smk

NO judgement from here! My 16 year old daughter (at the time) had a serious meltdown over the lack of cell phone coverage in MK on Christmas day no less. Why? She got cut off from talking to her boyfriend and she was sure it was some evil conspirascy plotted out by us. We were at PecosBill, had just had a snack and we were literally trapped by the parade and she spent the entire time talking as loud a she could could about how we forced to her be there and she wanted to go home. Well, too darn bad was all I could say...By the time we got home her and the boyfriend broke up within a few weeks and she was fine. She is 32 now and happy, healthy and has no idea where in the world the first boyfriend is! I don't either and I don't care!

P. S. I am loving the report and I weigh a ton more than you!

JennSmith

Original Poster
Clearly everyone else has abandoned this thread in horror, but I'm going to have to speak up and judge.

It's that whole "deep dish" thing. It's cake, not pizza. (Sigh...Chicago...)

Like we've never dealt with tantrums before and been mortified. Like you're such a terrible Mom that when your son got overtired, he didn't want to be apart from you for 20 minutes.

Now, your husband getting questioned by security, that would freak me out lol.
LOL...we are actually leaving today to go home again for 2 days. I will be thinking of you when I sink my teeth into a yummy deep dish pizza!

JennSmith

Original Poster
Wow! How mortifying for your husband! I'm not sure my husband would have returned to a park for the rest of the trip!! Definitely no judging here, we've all been through it! And you don't look fat in that pic!! Can't wait to read more!
I am actually surprised too! One of the other few meltdowns my son had was at the Target I go to EVERY week and I swore I would never go back! That only lasted like 2 weeks though...I figured the staff knew me so well that they had to have known my kid never acted like that before. I don't know that I could say the same for MK! Poor guy...I'm glad he came back with us though!
And thanks for thinking I don't look so fat! :)

JennSmith

Original Poster
NO judgement from here! My 16 year old daughter (at the time) had a serious meltdown over the lack of cell phone coverage in MK on Christmas day no less. Why? She got cut off from talking to her boyfriend and she was sure it was some evil conspirascy plotted out by us. We were at PecosBill, had just had a snack and we were literally trapped by the parade and she spent the entire time talking as loud a she could could about how we forced to her be there and she wanted to go home. Well, too darn bad was all I could say...By the time we got home her and the boyfriend broke up within a few weeks and she was fine. She is 32 now and happy, healthy and has no idea where in the world the first boyfriend is! I don't either and I don't care!

P. S. I am loving the report and I weigh a ton more than you!
That sounds like something my oldest could have done in her teen years! She was kind of a jerkface every now and then back then...but my mom would tell you that I was too at that age ;)

ScarletBegonias

no judgment at ALL! Harper had a few flip out moments in Disney. I just tried to not get all stressed out myself and let it run it's course. I can see why, but I would have been really ed about the security thing. Kids melt down, it doesn't mean they got kidnapped. I know, I know.. it's for their protection, but really? I've never approached a child who was having a meltdown to question whether they were taken.. Maybe it's just me? lol

JennSmith

Original Poster
Day Four - 9/20/2015...Epcot

So today we woke up, chugged our Delsym, showered, ate a little something, (none of us are big breakfast eaters) and that's when I heard it. Shade coughed. It was not just a clear my throat cough either - it was a sick cough. SERIOUSLY?! Add one more person to the Delsym line up :( I will also tell you that the previous day was the last day I wore any make up. I had started a thread a few months ago wondering if I would actually wear it and as it turns out I was over it after the first day at the parks! Plus I felt I had to choose between feeling "pretty" and sleeping an additional 15 minutes and sleep won...every day.
Today we had FPs for Mission Space, Soarin' and Turtle Talk...only because I had to pick 3 and TT won. Last time we were at Epcot Willow was only 6 and a super small 6. Mission Space terrified me. It was only a short time since that little boy had passed away after riding it, (not sure if any of you knew about it or even remember) and even thought they said he had underlying conditions I was still scared. I let her ride it but was terrified the whole time. Needless to say it was still with me this trip. Shade is much taller than Willow was at the same age but I couldn't do it...I made him ride the Green with me. I know, I know...I'm a big fat sissy but I had this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I don't recall green being an option when we went 10 years ago and if it was we didn't know and rode the regular version. I have to say I don't think the green is any less fun but that's just my opinion. Shade loved it and of course wanted to go again but the line was long and we had to move on to Test Track before that line got ridiculous. When we were in line for TT the ride broke or whatever and it got to the point where you've invested so much time in the line you don't want to leave yet you feel like you should so you're torn and have no clue what to do. We ended up staying but it took almost an hour before we finally got on and the wait was only supposed to be 30 mins, (without the breakdown of course). Everyone really liked it and of course Shade wanted to ride that again too but we couldn't. We were all pretty hungry so we grabbed a QS at the Electric Umbrella...it was pretty decent. Next up was Club Cool. I think part of my soul turned to dust and died when I tasted Beverly. I knew it was awful...I had read stuff, but I never expected it to be that bad. It gave me the shivers, no lie. After Club Cool we headed over to The Land and rode Living With the Land. I have always liked this ride and was surprised that Willow liked it too. Shade and Robin were just like "meh". Next up was Soarin' which is a total favorite of the whole family and I couldn't wait to see Shade's reaction after his first time. He thought it was so awesome!! It was now time for Turtle Talk, then The Seas w/Nemo and then we also happened to have perfect timing for the dolphin presentation thingy which was cute. Finally we did Spaceship Earth and decided to head over to the World Showcase.
World Showcase is my favorite part of Epcot. I am sure it has something to do with the fact that I would love to see all the countries, and more, in real life but will be perfectly okay if I never have to step foot on a plane again. I just don't like flying...it terrifies me. So I was happy to finally be in the WS. Now for months and months and months I had planned on drinking around the world. I even made a mini spreadsheet with each country and what drink and possible snack I would get from each one. Yet after the previous night I was just a little disheartened. I mean I was going to share each drink with my husband and oldest daughter so I wasn't going to get sloppy but I was still afraid that I had to be even more aware of Shade and his mood, level of hunger/exhaustion, etc. I didn't want to risk it. We started in Mexico which was a first because we have ALWAYS started in Canada but we had an ADR for Biergarten and figured it was best to start on that side. We rode the ride, did some shopping and Shade grabbed a Duffy bear to color, although he ditched it after Mexico stating "I only colored it for you, mommy...I didn't want to keep it". Next was Norway...this broke my heart, guys. To see what used to be The Maelstrom...there are no words. I can't believe when I rode it 10 years ago it would be my last time. I know it wasn't great but I LOVED that ride. Anyway...I was bitter and decided to drown my sorrows in the school bread which I thought was just meh. Willow grabbed a cream horn or whatever it's called and it was just meh too. My mom got some weird rolled up thing and it was better than the other two in my opinion. China was obviously next and nothing noteworthy happened there except that we were told there were no penny press machines in China. Looking back though I wonder if the girl that told us that was correct because China was the ONLY country the kids didn't get a pressed penny from. Finally it was time for our ADR at Biergarten. I really liked the setting and it was a lot of fun. I was a little worried when we were seated - I knew you sat with other people but I thought it would be a lot more people...as in, not just us and one couple who had zero children. So I was afraid it would be awkward but it wasn't. My husband and I sat next to them and the 2 guys talked sports and beer. I was also a little worried that there was no kid friendly food but Shade had no problem finding stuff to eat. He ate plenty of chicken and cheese and sausage and he also went down to dance with Robin when the band was playing. I forgot to mention that at The CP I had been given a cupcake and birthday card that all the characters had signed. So tonight I was given some gummy bears, a card that the staff had signed and some roses made from napkins. It was all really cute! Once the check came I am SO, SO glad that I leave a little more than the assigned gratuity because otherwise I don't think I would have noticed that NO gratuity was added to this check and I probably would have just signed my name and unknowingly stiffed the server who was AWESOME...boooo. I dunno why he didn't add it, I am guessing maybe because it was 5 adults and 1 child? I have seen that in other places so maybe that's what they were thinking, but luckily I caught it and this ended up being the only place that didn't add it automatically. Once we were done we just continued along the countries, stopping in America to watch Illuminations. I DID end up getting a Grey Goose Slush from France and it was very good! I let my husband and oldest have a sip but greedily kept the rest to myself lol. By the time we got to Canada the shops were closed which stunk because Willow was really looking forward to Canada...and so was I. Side note...we will not live in Lexington forever and currently the top runners for next place to live are Florida and Canada - one extreme to the other ;) It was now time to head back to the car. However we were very lucky indeed to be blessed with entertainment on our walk back to the front of the park. Apparently other guests had made up for the fact that I did not drink around the world and did it for me...and them...and maybe their sister and brother and father too. These dudes were a mess! They were jumping into the bushes around Spaceship Earth, crawling into garbage cans, trying to get over the rails of the fountains...and they were part of a family with wives and children in strollers - oh my. The wives were probably so embarrassed. Like they were sloppy - not even tipsy, but sloppy. I don't know how security didn't end up approaching them to be honest. Oh well, better them than me, right? :) Today was a good day. We finally got back to the hotel, got everyone settled in and pumped full of Delsym and my hubby and I headed to the local Walgreens to replenish the cold meds. We spent $80 on Delsym, cough drops, Sudafed and something else cold related that I can't remember. Seriously. Keep in mind there were 5 of us that were sick but still. It's okay though because I actually like shopping in grocery and/or drug stores when we are away from home. I enjoy seeing the local items for sale that we don't have in our stores. I even wanted to stop at a McDonalds because you know there are different things offered in different regions. We never did stop though...it was time to head back to get some sleep after a really good day.
I will continue to post what I can...we are leaving in an hour to go home for a couple of days and my mother in law's PC is like 42 years old so no promises. Kidding, it's not THAT old :) but close lol.

JennSmith

Original Poster
no judgment at ALL! Harper had a few flip out moments in Disney. I just tried to not get all stressed out myself and let it run it's course. I can see why, but I would have been really ****ed about the security thing. Kids melt down, it doesn't mean they got kidnapped. I know, I know.. it's for their protection, but really? I've never approached a child who was having a meltdown to question whether they were taken.. Maybe it's just me? lol
It was pretty embarrassing for Tom...I still feel bad for him but maybe only like 95% bad lol. I mean it's the first time he's ever had to deal with a major meltdown so...he should consider himself a little lucky...JK :)

JennSmith

Original Poster
Here is the link to the makeup thread I started...I feel like if I am going to reference something I should give you the option to read it without having to search for it. I will not post a link to that other post about meltdowns though. 1, because it wasn't my thread and 2, because I haven't checked in a few days so my son's meltdown may be on there now :(
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/will-i-really-wear-makeup.903331/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom