Trip Report A trip that never was - And always will be

My emotional state towards writing this trip report is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. How so, @wdisney9000 , you may ask? Well, many trip reports begin with people explaining how sad they are to be home and no longer in Disney World. I have had the old "Disney blues" many times myself. It is a gut wrenching feeling. But...not this time. I am not going through that emotional roller coaster of reminding myself that 48 hours ago, at this time of day, I was walking into Epcot heading towards Soarin'. I am glad to be home and leaving Disney World was not difficult nor sad, but not because it was a bad trip or because Disney World is getting old,.... No, no, no. It was one of the best family trips I have ever had, which would make one think that leaving would be even more depressing, yet it wasnt.

We have all experienced that sadness that begins to creep in the last day of your trip. You wake up excited to get to the parks but you are quickly reminded that when you wake up the next morning it will be time to take the walk of shame through the lobby with your luggage and your forced to see cars pulling up and families hop out whose trip is just beginning. You think to yourself, "that was ME just a week ago!!!:bawling::bawling::bawling:!!!!!" But in a strange twist of fate, that did not happen when we checked out. I was actually excited for the families whose Disney journey was just beginning. Normally I would want to smack that ear to ear smile right off their faces so they would be in pain like me. But nope. Not this time. I will explain why in just a bit. But I digress....lets get to the report already, shall we?

My parents decided it best to pick me up around 5 a.m. This would put us in Orlando around noon and we had an ADR for Biergarten at 2:55. I was up at 4:00 am and awaiting their arrival.

IMG_20170610_050153.jpg

Here is me at 4:55 waiting on the patio. I called my sister as I waited and they were just hitting the road as well. Keep in mind, my father still had no idea they were coming. My parents arrived at 5 and we were off!

We cruised though the city and had good traffic for most of the ride. Aside from my mom having to stop and pee every hour, we were making great time. Even saw some hot air balloons on the way which reminded me of soarin.

IMG_20170610_080054.jpg

There were about 10 hot air balloons, but this was the photo I got, lol.

I was texting my sister every hour or so to see where they were at and surprisingly we were only about 30 miles ahead of them.

Soon we were in Florida. As we passed all the anti-abortion signs it sparked a small debate on the subject which led to several other small debates, (remember, my father is a lawyer so debating/arguing is what he lives for). It helped pass the time and before we knew it we were pulling up to the toll booth. I texted my sister as we waited to pull up and she tells me they are at the toll booth as well!!!!! I look to my right and there they are.....right next to us!!!! What are the chances? --- We had rented a car, so had my sister, so luckily my dad didnt notice them, but still, we got a little nervous. I will NEVER forget the look on my brother in laws face, who was driving. It was a look of sheer helplessness, lol. We got through first and they slowed down to give us the lead. It was the first of many tense moments to keep it a secret that they were joining us.

Fast forward an hour or so aaaaaaaaand........

BINGO!

IMG_20170610_122320.jpg

We got to AKL around 12 (noon) and checked in, but the room was not ready.

IMG_20170610_124351.jpg

Such a great lobby and the smell wafting up from Boma makes it even better when you first walk in.

The CM noticed we had three separate DVC reservations. I explained we had to make 3 separate ones since not all days we available when we first booked so we added the days when they became available. He told he would link the three together so we would not have to change rooms. I thanked him, and then we cleaned up a bit and headed to Epcot for our Biergarten ADR.

IMG_20170610_132234.jpg

Mom and Dad at the bus stop.

On the bus ride to Epcot my dad started talking about the grand kids and how much fun they would have if they were there. He had even called my sister called my sister a few days before we left and offered to bring them and even pay for them but my sister told them the boys had Lacrosse camp and it was non refundable, (good one, sis!). He stared telling stories of all the memories of prior trips with the young ones. As my dad as deep in thought during his story telling, my mom gave me a quick look with a grin as if to say, "we got him right where we want him", and I slightly nodded back to confirm.

IMG_20170610_135019.jpg

We arrived at Epcot and there was a light sprinkle of rain which really cooled of the air. IT felt great outside.

Remember in my introduction of the TR when I said I wasnt sad to leave WDW? Well, thats because I did something I havent done in nearly three years. I picked up one of these little beauties ..........

IMG_20170610_140740.jpg

Yippie!!!!!!! Now I can return often which makes me not sad. Im sure some (or most of you) already figured this out when I said I wasnt sad to leave, lol. Now I can live that @Tuvalu life !!!

It felt like Christmas morning as the CM scanned my band and then proceeded to hand me the pass. Now all I need was a frosty cold one in my hand!!!!

But first...a picture with my old friend...

IMG_20170610_140758.jpg

I was able to move up the time on reservation at Biergarten so we only had about 20 minutes before it was a time to eat. I stopped off in Karamell-Kuche to tease @sheriffwoody and ser her a few photos of where I was.

Soon it was time to eat, and I had my had 1 liter hefeweizen in hand, cheers @lostpro9het !

IMG_20170610_151416.jpg

to be continued.........

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_144143.jpg
    IMG_20170610_144143.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 72

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I can enlighten you about the CMs in the green shirts and hats. They are fluent in Portuguese and act as intermediaries with the South American tour groups. July is prime season for the groups so the CMs you saw were likely "in training" for the weeks to come.
Makes sense. Thanks for the Disney input.

images (1).jpg

Thanks to you now I know that; either there is nothing wrong with me OR there is something seriously wrong with both of us!
I am pretty sure there is something wrong with both of us. Which is a good thing. Proud to stand outside the crowd!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm really loving your TR :)
Thank you! Im glad you are following along and enjoying!

Judging from your photo we dined in the exact same place.
Great minds...and all that;)

There is nothing wrong with getting in early and enjoying Disney without the crowds.also handy for taking great pictures too.
Absolutely.
The bartender politely informed both sets of parents that the liquor rules did not allow for underage patrons at the bar, and to please move the child. One mother literally glared at the guy. Seriously?!! Since when do TODDLERS belong sitting at a BAR??!!!
Glad to hear a bartender said something. I asked many of them why they dont say anything and they usually say they just dont want to cause a problem. Cant blame with the entitled attitude most guess have.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5 contd...

My parents headed back to AKL and I joined my sister and family at BC. The kids took a dip in the quiet pool (which was no longer quiet once they arrived) while my sister did some laundry. In another stunning moment for my sister (who does not drink much), she told us she was running inside to get a drink and returns with a whole bottle of wine! Disney really does make magic happen, lol!

IMG_20170614_165235.jpg

She also lives to read her magazines so she grabbed the latest issue of something and gave my brother and I the all clear to head out on our own since she had her supplies and the kids were swimming.

We made a pit stop at Crews Cup before heading to Epcot
IMG_20170614_145904.jpg

The plan was to meet the family at MK later in the evening after we did a Monorail beer crawl. So of course we pre-gamed it by hitting World Showcase to get started. I need something in my stomach so I grabbed a macaroon ice cream sandwich in France while my brother acquired some 1774's.

IMG_20170614_174827.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite snacks. Its right up there with carrot cake cookies.

We finished our French beers by the time we got to Italy so dipped inside of Tuto Gusto for a refill. We grabbed a seat at the bar and I cant remember which beers we ordered bu they were definitely over priced. Tuto Gusto is one of the most overpriced beer places in WDW (IMO).

IMG_20170614_182347.jpg

There was a couple sitting next to us who knew a little Italian and was speaking to the bartender. I commented that the wifes Italian was very good and she told us that they travel to Italy often and knew everything about good wine and blah, blah, blah. They were somewhat cocky and arrogant about it. Ask anyone in my family about my brothers and I and they will tell you that we seriously troll people like that (or just random strangers). But if someone is arrogant, we really have fun with them. We play a game where we see how many times we can get a person to repeat the same thing. It seems dumb, but trust me, it is a hoot after they say it 3,4,5 or 10 times. With this couple, we probly made them repeat how many times they have traveled to Italy a dozen times at least. We were internally cracking up as they never caught on. Then, The bartender asked us if we wanted to try some new beer/wine concoction they just started serving and that people in Italy really like it. We declined as we are not wine drinkers. She offered us a free sample so we said sure. As she poured it, the couple said something to her in Italian and she responded and looked at us and they all had a little chuckle. You know how you can tell when someone is talking about you, well... this was one of those moments. My brother whispered to me that the bartender had just cut her tip in half with her Italian joke, haha. I dont what they said, but when she gave us the free sample, I tried it and then told her it was disgusting and why would Italy make something like that. It really wasnt bad, I just wanted to take a shot at her home country. We got our tab, which was appx $19 for 2 beers!!!! We left her $3 tip. Normally we would leave $5, but her snootiness cost her a few bucks. I trolled the couple one last time and we left.

Quick pit stop at Germany for some Dunkels

IMG_20170614_184525.jpg

We decided it best to drink our beers on the way out of the park so we would be too hammered for Monorail beer crawl. We did not intend to hit every resort bar, but just enough to be nice and sustained for MK emh.

Up next...monorail beers and MK

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Contd......

We headed out of Epcot and began our crawl around the Monorail Loop. Our intention was not to hit every spot that serves drinks, but more to just have a few beers before meeting the family a MK. We stayed at Epcot a little longer than anticipated and we were nearing the agreed upon time to be back with the family. We arrived at Contemporary and made our way to The Wave.

IMG_20170614_203846.jpg

I really enjoy the bar at Wave. It is a very nice environment and fits the Contemporary theme well. Ive always had good service here too. It was my brothers first time here and he enjoyed it s well. We skipped Outer Rim in favor of having more time at Poly and Tambu Lounge. We finished our beers and hopped on the Monorail.

IMG_20170614_211545.jpg

It was smooth sailing (or is it called "railing" on the monorail?) over to Polynesian. I do miss the original smell from the old lobby. Ill take the old smell and the big fountain over the little wooden tiki guy any day. But anyway, we were there and ready for a cold one....or three.

We snagged a seat on the right side of the bar (the best spot there IMO). We sat there for about 3 or 4 minutes while the bartender was cleaning glasses right in front of us. He saw us sit down but did not ask for our order for a few minutes. Oh well, another tip cut in half, lol. When h finally decided we were worthy of his attention, we ordered Cigar City Jai Alai IPA for our first beers.

IMG_20170614_213155.jpg

And another round after that....

IMG_20170614_213317.jpg

Tambu Lounge is just a great spot. Very relaxing and peaceful. We decided that instead of hitting Mizners Lounge we would stay at Tambu and have a third round. Mizners is ok, but there is really no life to it. Just a stuffy room with not much theme or energy. And in my experience there, if your not well dressed in a hoity toity outfit and ordering a mint julep, the bartenders just assume your trash. So we decided to stay at Tambu where non Polo Playing patrons are not judged.

IMG_20170614_213341.jpg

And one last round with a toast to our normal, suburban, non-Marthas Vineyard lifestyle and homes.

IMG_20170614_215522.jpg

Up yours, Mizners!!! haha. Yacht Club is better than GF anyway and Crews Cup Lounge puts you to shame!!

We finished our beers and 'railed over to MK to meet the family. And yes, I realize that only making two stops doesnt exactly constitute a "crawl", but we had the same amount of beers it would have been anyway, so that counts!!

We met up with the family and they were in 5th gear and ready to ride more rides. Our fist stop once we joined them was BTMRR

IMG_20170614_225812.jpg

We made our way back towards Fantasyland and rode Little Mermaid

IMG_20170614_232218.jpg

IMG_20170614_232031.jpg

Wemay have rode a few other rides, but I did not get any pictures and the beer had kicked in pretty good by then so my memory is somewhat fuzzy. I do know that I crashed at AKL in our room that night instead of crashing at BC again. IT was a fun day and a good "semi-crawl" around the monorail.

Up next... day 6 and another morning at Epcot

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Tambu Lounge is just a great spot. Very relaxing and peaceful. We decided that instead of hitting Mizners Lounge we would stay at Tambu and have a third round. Mizners is ok, but there is really no life to it. Just a stuffy room with not much theme or energy. And in my experience there, if your not well dressed in a hoity toity outfit and ordering a mint julep, the bartenders just assume your trash. So we decided to stay at Tambu where non Polo Playing patrons are not judged.

And one last round with a toast to our normal, suburban, non-Marthas Vineyard lifestyle and homes.

Up yours, Mizners!!! haha. Yacht Club is better than GF anyway and Crews Cup Lounge puts you to shame!!

Ha! You summed all that up so well. :D

The irony of an (occasional - truly in the minority) snotty server or bartender, is that they're often clueless about the patrons they have "sized up". You're well traveled, stay in deluxe resorts, are knowledgeable about liquor, and you pay well for good service. So, I just shake my head when I read about a server, foolishly missing out on a good tip, totally due to his/her own inadequacies! :facepalm:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 6

Last day of the trip and I was up early again and headed to Epcot. This mornings plan was to get some rides in. It was overcast and felt great outside and the park was not crowded at all. I arrived right at opening and headed straight for Soarin. I walked right on the ride as practically nobody was there. It was great.

IMG_20170615_090247.jpg

IMG_20170615_090322.jpg

I bounced over to TT next and walked on as well. And of course (intentionally) created another absolutely atrocious vehicle.

IMG_20170615_094637.jpg

And it actually did quite well, lol

IMG_20170615_095910.jpg

After TT, I decided to grab a quick bite in Norway. I had assumed my sister and the kids were joining me that morning and I had made FP+ for Frozen for us all. There was some issue with MDE and I had showed the CM that we all had FP but the times were showing different. He was great about it and handed me a paper return time for 6 people. Yippy!

Ahhhh....Kringla...what to choose? So many wonderful things here!

IMG_20170615_102150.jpg

Of course I went with School Bread, are you crazy??!!

IMG_20170615_102508.jpg

Another favorite of mine. It was excellent! As i snacked on my breakfast I got a message form my sister that they were just gonna head to AK. The plan was to meet at Epcot first but they decided to skip it and go straight to AK. So now I am sitting there with a paper return time for Frozen and I knew we would not make it back to Epcot that day. Suddenly I felt like I had traveled back in time to the olden days of Legacy FP when you could hand someone a paper FP you were not going to use and it would put a smile on their face. But this was a highly coveted FEA FP and it was for 6 people!!! It was like having a Wonka Bar Golden ticket! (not really, its just FEA but Im trying to build up some hype here so just go with it).

It would have to be a family with children and I figured I would know it when I saw them. I didnt just want to hand it to the first family I saw and I had plenty of time on the walk towards the bus to AK. I passed family after family but none of them felt right. I was coming up on the bridge to FW when about 20 feet ahead of me, I saw them....a family with two young girls in a stroller and the dad was wearing a Dallas Cowboys shirt (my favorite NFL team, Im from Dallas).

I approached them and asked if they were interested in a FP for the Frozen ride. The mom looked at me like I was some weirdo, and rightfully so as I was just some random guy asking about Frozen, lol. I explained I had a FP for my family but had to leave and didnt want it to go to waste. I handed them the actual paper FP and the mom examined it and then looked at me with a HUGE smile and said thank you. I told her it was thanks to her husbands shirt and that I was from Dallas. Obviously they were fans as well so we exchanged a few comments about the upcoming season. I told them I had to be off and she thanked me one more time. As I walked away, I heard the mom explaining to her girls that they wouldnt have to wait in the long line to ride Frozen, then I hear one of the girls yell, "hey Mister!" ....as I turned around, she was standing up in the stroller and facing me and she yelled out, "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!" It was a very sweet moment as the look on her face said it all. I waved back and said "have a good time!".

I miss that from the old days of Legacy. Countless times I was offered a FP from a family leaving who couldnt use it and we did the same thing on many occasions. I hear the stories of how people pay for the person behind them at Starbucks drive thru and it reminds of handing someone a Soarin FP back in the day an seeing their face light up. Ill take a Disney FP over a free coffee any day though!

Feeling good, I hopped on the bus to AK.....

up next, AK (obvuiously)

fractal

Day 6

Last day of the trip and I was up early again and headed to Epcot. This mornings plan was to get some rides in. It was overcast and felt great outside and the park was not crowded at all. I arrived right at opening and headed straight for Soarin. I walked right on the ride as practically nobody was there. It was great.

View attachment 221482

View attachment 221483

I bounced over to TT next and walked on as well. And of course (intentionally) created another absolutely atrocious vehicle.

View attachment 221484

And it actually did quite well, lol

View attachment 221485

After TT, I decided to grab a quick bite in Norway. I had assumed my sister and the kids were joining me that morning and I had made FP+ for Frozen for us all. There was some issue with MDE and I had showed the CM that we all had FP but the times were showing different. He was great about it and handed me a paper return time for 6 people. Yippy!

Ahhhh....Kringla...what to choose? So many wonderful things here!

View attachment 221489

Of course I went with School Bread, are you crazy??!!

View attachment 221487

Another favorite of mine. It was excellent! As i snacked on my breakfast I got a message form my sister that they were just gonna head to AK. The plan was to meet at Epcot first but they decided to skip it and go straight to AK. So now I am sitting there with a paper return time for Frozen and I knew we would not make it back to Epcot that day. Suddenly I felt like I had traveled back in time to the olden days of Legacy FP when you could hand someone a paper FP you were not going to use and it would put a smile on their face. But this was a highly coveted FEA FP and it was for 6 people!!! It was like having a Wonka Bar Golden ticket! (not really, its just FEA but Im trying to build up some hype here so just go with it).

It would have to be a family with children and I figured I would know it when I saw them. I didnt just want to hand it to the first family I saw and I had plenty of time on the walk towards the bus to AK. I passed family after family but none of them felt right. I was coming up on the bridge to FW when about 20 feet ahead of me, I saw them....a family with two young girls in a stroller and the dad was wearing a Dallas Cowboys shirt (my favorite NFL team, Im from Dallas).

I approached them and asked if they were interested in a FP for the Frozen ride. The mom looked at me like I was some weirdo, and rightfully so as I was just some random guy asking about Frozen, lol. I explained I had a FP for my family but had to leave and didnt want it to go to waste. I handed them the actual paper FP and the mom examined it and then looked at me with a HUGE smile and said thank you. I told her it was thanks to her husbands shirt and that I was from Dallas. Obviously they were fans as well so we exchanged a few comments about the upcoming season. I told them I had to be off and she thanked me one more time. As I walked away, I heard the mom explaining to her girls that they wouldnt have to wait in the long line to ride Frozen, then I hear one of the girls yell, "hey Mister!" ....as I turned around, she was standing up in the stroller and facing me and she yelled out, "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!" It was a very sweet moment as the look on her face said it all. I waved back and said "have a good time!".

I miss that from the old days of Legacy. Countless times I was offered a FP from a family leaving who couldnt use it and we did the same thing on many occasions. I hear the stories of how people pay for the person behind them at Starbucks drive thru and it reminds of handing someone a Soarin FP back in the day an seeing their face light up. Ill take a Disney FP over a free coffee any day though!

Feeling good, I hopped on the bus to AK.....

up next, AK (obvuiously)

Great story! Although being an Eagles fan the Dallas shirt would have dissuaded me. :D

I miss that aspect of paper FP as well. A 6 ticket one was indeed a high value item!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Great story! Although being an Eagles fan the Dallas shirt would have dissuaded me. :D

I miss that aspect of paper FP as well. A 6 ticket one was indeed a high value item!
Perhaps it is just fond childhood memories but it feels like the rivalry between the Cowboys and Eagles was stronger in the 80s an 90s. I grew up in the days of Randall Cunningham and Danny White. It was always great when Dad would pull the tv into the dining room and we could watch the games with dinner.

fractal

Perhaps it is just fond childhood memories but it feels like the rivalry between the Cowboys and Eagles was stronger in the 80s an 90s. I grew up in the days of Randall Cunningham and Danny White. It was always great when Dad would pull the tv into the dining room and we could watch the games with dinner.

With the two young QB's on each team I think that rivalry is going to heat up again.

Last edited:

gdisneyfans

"hey Mister!" ....as I turned around, she was standing up in the stroller and facing me and she yelled out, "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!" It was a very sweet moment as the look on her face said it all. I waved back and said "have a good time!".
That is so sweet that she yelled back to you:inlove:!!

We did the same thing once to a dad/son - we had two two extra paper FP that were given to us by a CM that we knew we weren't going to use. I had walked past the dad/son and overheard the dad tell the son that they could head to BTM but the wait is over an hour. I went up to them and offered the paper FP to them and they too looked at me like who the heck are you! I explained they were given to us by a CM and we were heading out for the day and would like them to have them and to use them on BTM. They were so appreciative and the look on the little guy's face was priceless:happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I miss that from the old days of Legacy. Countless times I was offered a FP from a family leaving who couldnt use it and we did the same thing on many occasion

Yes! This! The last time this happened to me was a few years ago (probably the last year of Legacy, RIP . . .:() I had walked toward T of T and saw a 50-minute Standby. I stood there and literally sighed . . . when, out of nowhere, a woman came up to me and asked me if I'd like to have her FP for TOT!!! :jawdrop: I was stunned. "Are you SURE?!" She explained that her husband and kids went on, but she was scared and waited outside. She saw me walk up alone to the Standby, and she ran over to give me her FP. :inlove:

Now, THAT's what I call MAGIC!! :)

sheriffwoody

I miss that from the old days of Legacy. Countless times I was offered a FP from a family leaving who couldnt use it and we did the same thing on many occasions.
I totally agree! We had a guy hand us several on the first day of our honeymoon and it was such a magical moment! It was a perfect way to start our trip. That was the only trip we had with paper fastpasses, but you do occasionally see people giving out the ones you get from random guest services interactions.

Trisha Lynn

her husband, actually my brother in-law but I dont like that term

That's pretty cool of you. I think "mother-in-law" is too many syllables, so I've shortened it to "Momlaw" when I talk about my Hobbit's mother. Momlaw, Poplaw, Brolaw... those are all the ones I have since my hubs is an only child now and I only have one sibling.

my wifes uncle (who passed away years ago) taught us about hidden Mickeys and the first ride we rode after he told us was SSE and he pointed this one and several others.

This is what I love about family Disney vacations. Because it's a special place (due to the expense), every time you go there you have fond memories of the other times you've gone.

Similar to seeing a large beast asleep and you can enjoy its majestic features but you also know that eventually it will awaken and roar.

I love this description. You are a very good writer.

I had no idea what time it was in France, but I sent the pic anyway.

This is one of the reasons why I think your clients are lucky to be working with you. I have a friend who trains dogs in Northern California and she's forged a similar kind of bond with her clients. It's so cool.

It bothers me because a bar where alcohol is served is a space for adults and adult conversation.

Well.... yes, and no. Speaking as a person who's chosen not to have kids, even I know that pub culture allows kids to be in bars where alcohol is served. I'm also sympathetic to those parents who weren't lucky enough to make their dinner reservations for the Cafe and have to wait for a table and need to have a place for their kids to sit. If there wasn't enough chairs in the Cafe foyer, then perhaps it's the maitre d's job to perhaps bring out some more until the crush does down?

At the same time, if I were heading into the Lounge for my lunch and couldn't find a place to sit because all of the tables were full and the bar was also full because of kids who weren't even having a glass of juice or water, I would totally ask if the parents could move the kid so that I can sit down (due to my medical condition).

The bartender politely informed both sets of parents that the liquor rules did not allow for underage patrons at the bar, and to please move the child. One

I hope that bartender got a good tip for that. Standing up to unreasonable Guests is a skill.

She also lives to read her magazines so she grabbed the latest issue of something and gave my brother and I the all clear to head out on our own since she had her supplies and the kids were swimming.

The more I read about your family, the cooler they seem to me.

And of course (intentionally) created another absolutely atrocious vehicle.

I kind like that one more than the first one.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
the dad was wearing a Dallas Cowboys shirt (my favorite NFL team, Im from Dallas).

I knew there was something a little "wrong" with you. If we are ever at WDW at the same time we will have to find a lounge and have a long, serious talk about the evils of the Dallas Cowboys!! :p

I knew i liked you!!! GO BIRDS!!! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom