Trip Report A trip that never was - And always will be

My emotional state towards writing this trip report is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. How so, @wdisney9000 , you may ask? Well, many trip reports begin with people explaining how sad they are to be home and no longer in Disney World. I have had the old "Disney blues" many times myself. It is a gut wrenching feeling. But...not this time. I am not going through that emotional roller coaster of reminding myself that 48 hours ago, at this time of day, I was walking into Epcot heading towards Soarin'. I am glad to be home and leaving Disney World was not difficult nor sad, but not because it was a bad trip or because Disney World is getting old,.... No, no, no. It was one of the best family trips I have ever had, which would make one think that leaving would be even more depressing, yet it wasnt.

We have all experienced that sadness that begins to creep in the last day of your trip. You wake up excited to get to the parks but you are quickly reminded that when you wake up the next morning it will be time to take the walk of shame through the lobby with your luggage and your forced to see cars pulling up and families hop out whose trip is just beginning. You think to yourself, "that was ME just a week ago!!!:bawling::bawling::bawling:!!!!!" But in a strange twist of fate, that did not happen when we checked out. I was actually excited for the families whose Disney journey was just beginning. Normally I would want to smack that ear to ear smile right off their faces so they would be in pain like me. But nope. Not this time. I will explain why in just a bit. But I digress....lets get to the report already, shall we?

My parents decided it best to pick me up around 5 a.m. This would put us in Orlando around noon and we had an ADR for Biergarten at 2:55. I was up at 4:00 am and awaiting their arrival.

IMG_20170610_050153.jpg

Here is me at 4:55 waiting on the patio. I called my sister as I waited and they were just hitting the road as well. Keep in mind, my father still had no idea they were coming. My parents arrived at 5 and we were off!

We cruised though the city and had good traffic for most of the ride. Aside from my mom having to stop and pee every hour, we were making great time. Even saw some hot air balloons on the way which reminded me of soarin.

IMG_20170610_080054.jpg

There were about 10 hot air balloons, but this was the photo I got, lol.

I was texting my sister every hour or so to see where they were at and surprisingly we were only about 30 miles ahead of them.

Soon we were in Florida. As we passed all the anti-abortion signs it sparked a small debate on the subject which led to several other small debates, (remember, my father is a lawyer so debating/arguing is what he lives for). It helped pass the time and before we knew it we were pulling up to the toll booth. I texted my sister as we waited to pull up and she tells me they are at the toll booth as well!!!!! I look to my right and there they are.....right next to us!!!! What are the chances? --- We had rented a car, so had my sister, so luckily my dad didnt notice them, but still, we got a little nervous. I will NEVER forget the look on my brother in laws face, who was driving. It was a look of sheer helplessness, lol. We got through first and they slowed down to give us the lead. It was the first of many tense moments to keep it a secret that they were joining us.

Fast forward an hour or so aaaaaaaaand........

BINGO!

IMG_20170610_122320.jpg

We got to AKL around 12 (noon) and checked in, but the room was not ready.

IMG_20170610_124351.jpg

Such a great lobby and the smell wafting up from Boma makes it even better when you first walk in.

The CM noticed we had three separate DVC reservations. I explained we had to make 3 separate ones since not all days we available when we first booked so we added the days when they became available. He told he would link the three together so we would not have to change rooms. I thanked him, and then we cleaned up a bit and headed to Epcot for our Biergarten ADR.

IMG_20170610_132234.jpg

Mom and Dad at the bus stop.

On the bus ride to Epcot my dad started talking about the grand kids and how much fun they would have if they were there. He had even called my sister called my sister a few days before we left and offered to bring them and even pay for them but my sister told them the boys had Lacrosse camp and it was non refundable, (good one, sis!). He stared telling stories of all the memories of prior trips with the young ones. As my dad as deep in thought during his story telling, my mom gave me a quick look with a grin as if to say, "we got him right where we want him", and I slightly nodded back to confirm.

IMG_20170610_135019.jpg

We arrived at Epcot and there was a light sprinkle of rain which really cooled of the air. IT felt great outside.

Remember in my introduction of the TR when I said I wasnt sad to leave WDW? Well, thats because I did something I havent done in nearly three years. I picked up one of these little beauties ..........

IMG_20170610_140740.jpg

Yippie!!!!!!! Now I can return often which makes me not sad. Im sure some (or most of you) already figured this out when I said I wasnt sad to leave, lol. Now I can live that @Tuvalu life !!!

It felt like Christmas morning as the CM scanned my band and then proceeded to hand me the pass. Now all I need was a frosty cold one in my hand!!!!

But first...a picture with my old friend...

IMG_20170610_140758.jpg

I was able to move up the time on reservation at Biergarten so we only had about 20 minutes before it was a time to eat. I stopped off in Karamell-Kuche to tease @sheriffwoody and ser her a few photos of where I was.

Soon it was time to eat, and I had my had 1 liter hefeweizen in hand, cheers @lostpro9het !

IMG_20170610_151416.jpg

to be continued.........

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_144143.jpg
    IMG_20170610_144143.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 72

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 4 contd...

IMG_20170613_211504.jpg

After TT we headed back to Mexico Pavilion. The kids wanted to ride Gran Fiesta. I laugh when people say that their kids are bored at Epcot or they should change rides like Gran Fiesta. The kids in our family adore the park and all the rides, even GFT.

IMG_20170613_215526.jpg

And since my brother and I had rode earlier, w decided a drink was in order...

IMG_20170613_220226.jpg

He had the jalapeno margarita and I had the cucumber (in honor of my wife) and yes, we sent her this photo.

Allow me to backtrack for a moment. On our way to Mexico pavilion, the kids asked if FEA was still open since it was EMH. I said yes, my mom and sister said no. We asked a CM, who also said yes, it was open. Mom and sister disagreed and cited that FEA was in WS not Future World. As we left Mexico, tensions were high (not really) as to whom was correct. Well, I will end the suspense and present this photo as to had the right answer

IMG_20170613_213751.jpg

After riding the book report of Frozen, we made one last stop at Imagination on our way out.

IMG_20170613_224059.jpg

My sister and her fam headed back to BC and mom dad and I back to AKL. Dad and I grabbed pizza at Mara, chowed down, and called it a night.

Attachments

• IMG_20170613_215526.jpg
    IMG_20170613_215526.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 38
I have a service dog (in training) but will not bring him to WDW as it is for one...too hot for him (I am super careful where/when I take him places in the Summer)...and two...I am very self conscious about people looking at me (PTSD). As long as my husband and/or my parents are with me I'm generally ok. I agree with you that a lot of people these days are trying to pass normal family pets off as service dogs in order to take advantage of the law that was created for people such as myself. That's a shame! I carry Lenny's identification and my doctor's letter with me wherever I go.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
have a service dog (in training)
Thats awesome. What breed of dog , if I may ask?
I carry Lenny's identification and my doctor's letter with me wherever I go.
You are not legally required to do that. Airlines may require a Dr letter if you want him to fly on the plane, but aside from that there is no need to carry your documents. I understand that it can make things easier though.

He is a German Shepherd/Husky mix.:) He's 7 months old and is doing great with his training. Very laid back, doesn't get distracted (except bugs...omg...the last month has been nothing but him wanting to chase bugs;)). He's my shadow...very keen on when my symptoms begin...even if he's in a different room of the house. I know he is allowed to go a lot of places but I try to stick with dog friendly areas mainly because I hate when people stare at us. It's amazing to me how many businesses allow dogs now! We practice in Tractor Supply Company and the people who work there all know him now so to him it's not training.:p

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5

I woke early, showered and sneaked out of the room before mom and dad woke up. I had really enjoyed a few hours by myself at HS a few days prior so I decided this morning I would visit Epcot, solo style. When I arrived, the entrance was jam packed....

IMG_20170614_085320.jpg

then I remembered all the Tim Tracker videos I watched when he shows the crowded entrance but the AP line is short. So I turned to my left and the patch was wide open...

IMG_20170614_085334.jpg

As I approached and was taking several picures I almost walked directly into the black turnstyle. The CM warned me last second and we had a good laugh at my foolishness.

It was crowded in front of SSE since it was still 20 minutes to rope drop.....

IMG_20170614_085454.jpg

I didnt realize there was EMH that morning until I saw a few people walking under SSE then I noticed the EMH entrance for resort guests. A few moments later I was in and was greeted by this lovely lady...

daisy.jpg

I had a plan but decided to hop on SSE first since it was right there and there was no wait..

IMG_20170614_090557.jpg

That hidden Mickey is a favorite of mine. Not because it is extremely hidden, but because my wifes uncle (who passed away years ago) taught us about hidden Mickeys and the first ride we rode after he told us was SSE and he pointed this one and several others.

After SSE i stopped and grabbed a coffee at Starbucks then headed to WS to get back on track with my plan. Did I go to the left and head towards FEA???? LOL, no way.. I had a better idea in mind. I made a right and headed to France! It was soooooooo peaceful strolling through the countries and there was practically nobody there as everyone was in Norway or FW.

IMG_20170614_094539.jpg

IMG_20170614_094633.jpg

IMG_20170614_094845.jpg

IMG_20170614_095013.jpg

It was just extremely quiet and peaceful and I took my time soaking it in for a few minutes. There is something about being in WDW when it is quiet that is almost therapeutic. The tranquil state of the park envelopes you and quiets your mind. Similar to seeing a large beast asleep and you can enjoy its majestic features but you also know that eventually it will awaken and roar.

Speaking of roaring, my stomach was beginning to growl so it was back to the pathway and onward to France. But first I had a photo taken....

IMG_20170614_095108.jpg

A client of mine was actually in France and was posting on pics of the real Eiffel Tower so I had to let them know I was in the France state of mind as well. I had no idea what time it was in France, but I sent the pic anyway. They responded and we had a few good laughs.

Next up.....a continuation of one of the most enjoyable mornings Ive ever had in Disney World

LMSB

Day two....

I slept like a baby on the pull out sofa, as my parents had the bed. We had the ADR for Cape May Cafe at 10:20 which is where we would surprise my dad. My sisters ADR was for 9:45 so they could arrive first and be ready. We were up and heading out the door around 9:45. Mom was panicking that we would not make it on time since we had to switch buses to get to BC. I whipped out my phone, requested an Uber, and within 2 minutes the driver was arriving at the valet station!

We had a very sweet young lady drive us to Beach Club. It took appx ten minutes and the cost was $7.92, and we tipped her a few bucks as well. I highly recommend using Uber if you need to get somewhere quick or just want to avoid the bus. Using Uber from the resorts is great. Not so much if your leaving a park. The drivers cant pull up to the entrance of the park.

We arrived at BC and I took a moment to take a deeeeeeeep breathe of the amazing smell of the lobby. Its almost as good as the lobby in Yacht Club...almost. lol. Remember being young and inhaling the fruity scented markers at school? Thats kinda the method I use to take in the smell of the lobby, lol. If you never partook in fruity marker sniffing as a child, you missed out, but you also probly have waaaaay more brain cells left than I do:eek:o_O.

My sister had text me to let me know they were seated and ready. Mom, dad and I lined up at the podium. It was pretty busy with the morning breakfast rush. My sister calls me to see where we are and I tell her we are at he podium at the front. She gasps and then tells me that they are seated directly to the right of the entrance in the dining room and my niece is at the buffet getting food and will need to walk DIRECTLY passed the podium to get back into the dining room. Mind you, my dad is standing DIRECTLY next to the podium. I walk into the main area and see my niece hiding behind the pillar (which is about 15 feet from where my dad is standing). I see my sister on the inside wall of the dining room giving my niece hand signals to stay still. My poor little niece looked like a deer in headlights as she stood their clutching her plate of food and crouching behind the pillar.

View attachment 211997

I am standing directly between them to shield my dad from seeing her. My niece is looking at me like, "what do i do??!!!!" I quietly mouthed "STAY STILL". I still had the phone to my ear so i turned and my dad was chatting with my mom so I told my niece to go for it and I sort of side stepped in front of her just in case. My niece quickly rushed into the dining room and i turned around to see if we made it. We did! But my dad asks me, "what the heck are you doing?" I just said I was trying to see the buffet.

The waitress that had seated my sister knew the plan and came over to me to let me know she would seat us in a moment. So as we walk in she stops my dad and we explain that he gets to choose a "special character" since its his birthday and he was asked if he would prefer a villain or a princess. He looked a little puzzled and she explained it was a "new" offering at Cape May. He said he wanted a princess. She said, "great" , right this way and proceeded to lead us into the dining area on the immediate right when you enter My dad asked if we could sit in the main area because he likes it better out there. The waitress was great though, she explained he would like the private area more. My dad said he would rather be in the main area, so she told him, "just come in here for a sec, I wanna show you something". you can hear her telling him in the video. So he agreed and we entered. Here is thefootage from my sisters phone...

I love watching this because my dad sees them and does a double take real quick, the they yell surprise. It was great.

Here is the footage I got.

It did not go exactly as planned because we wanted my niece to jump out first, but it all happened so quickly that we just went with it so it wasnt botched up. As we sat down he told us he no clue whatsoever. Even with all the close calls from the day prior, he didnt think anything of it. He was very happy to see the grandkids and was all smiles. He. said it was the best surprise he had in a long time.

View attachment 211998

Now it was time to eat!!!!!!

View attachment 211999

To be continued.....

I am LOVING your trip report!! Just watched the footage of your dad's surprise.. so awesome. Your family is adorable :):)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It was just extremely quiet and peaceful and I took my time soaking it in for a few minutes. There is something about being in WDW when it is quiet that is almost therapeutic. The tranquil state of the park envelopes you and quiets your mind. Similar to seeing a large beast asleep and you can enjoy its majestic features but you also know that eventually it will awaken and roar.

Since I always stay over at the SWAN, I take the Friendship Boats over to EPCOT's International Gateway Center. When you arrive there at EPCOT's morning opening, there aren't many people in WS--it's a really nice time to just look around, before the crowds descend for the 11:00 AM WS opening. :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5 contd...

My plan was nothing fancy. Just a peaceful breakfast at Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie. The pavilion was quiet, the birds were chirping and the weather was great. I ordered the Ham and cheese croissant and for my beverage I decided that 9:45 am was a proper time to begin imbibing myself for the day:D

She was quite liberal with the champagne which I thanked her for. I took a seat outside to enjoy the music and crisp morning air. I had a little friend join me shortly after I sat down.

IMG_20170614_100217.jpg

IMG_20170614_100210.jpg

I shared some pieces of my croissant with my winged companion. I checked my email and of course got a little wdwmagic time in while I had breakfast. It was truly an excellent morning and a great meal. Ive had breakfast by myself on a few other trips with my wife but it was normally at the resort. This was by far the most relaxing breakfast I have ever had and I look forward to trying a new breakfast experience on our upcoming August trip.

After I finished my meal, I strolled around the Pavilion for a few minutes. My wife did some freelance work with Guerlain a few years ago (she works for Chanel primarily) and she always enjoys the Guerlain shop in Epcot so I sent a pic.

IMG_20170614_101318.jpg

Next I headed towards HS after speaking to my sister and she told me they were headed there. I just missed the Friendship so I decided to walk. As I exited International Gateway I could feel the temperature rising. By the time I made it to Swan and Dolphin it was humid as well. I dipped inside to use the restroom in the Swan and they had some face cloths by the door so I grabbed one to wipe the sweat away as I walked the pathway to HS. Soon after, I arrived and headed where else but..... Tune In Lounge! It was definitely time for a cold one after that blazing hot walk. The family was off riding rides, so I enjoyed a nice break and some a/c.

IMG_20170614_111827.jpg

I have ranted before in previous trip reports about children sitting at the bar in Disney World. I am aware that it was appx 11 am but the bar was filled with kids. Several ADULTS walked in to have a drink and there were nos eats available for them since a few parents decided that their kids should sit at the bar while they waited for their table at 50's Prime Time.

IMG_20170614_112205.jpg

Please note how there are no beverages for any of the 3 kids and who I could only assume was their father at the end. They were just taking up space. I took this photo a few minutes after they sat down. I waited to see if they would order anything. They did not. There were 2 kids on the other side of me as well. It bothers me because a bar where alcohol is served is a space for adults and adult conversation. It also is how the bartenders earn their pay. If there are no seats for PAYING customers, then it affects their pay. /rant

Soon after I met up with the family. We hit up ToT but on the way we saw a group of people with Disney name tags on and they were all wearing green polo shirts and hats. Does anybody know what that signifies? I snapped a pic

IMG_20170614_112446.jpg

As you can see, some of them have walkie talkies, but they were escorted by a plaid vest CM. It was a mystery to me.

We had a quick lunch at the food court after ToT. The kids had some sandwiches and I grabbed a brewski to go. I stopped for a pic at Starring Rolls since who knows how long it will be there.

IMG_20170614_123828.jpg

We headed to TSMM and I challenged my niece to a bet. I f she wins, she gets her face painted, If I win, I get a kiss on the cheek.

IMG_20170614_130205.jpg

I obviously won, but she beat me on accuracy which I deemed worthy of her being the victor!

IMG_20170614_130744.jpg

IMG_20170614_133938.jpg

We hopped back to RnR and then headed back to the resorts for afternoon break.

Up next... afternoon pool time and then Monorail beer crawl before MK!!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
It made me mad just reading about those kids at the bar at 50s Prime Time! :mad:

I can enlighten you about the CMs in the green shirts and hats. They are fluent in Portuguese and act as intermediaries with the South American tour groups. July is prime season for the groups so the CMs you saw were likely "in training" for the weeks to come.

dclfan

On our last trip the morning of my birthday we had breakfast in France and it made for one of the best days of the trip (granted we got engaged later that evening but it still would have been epic). I think me and my fiance were the only two people in France that morning. It was so peaceful and beautiful without all of the hustle and bustle of the crowds. It really makes you appreciate the beauty of Disney. The only complaint was that the man behind the counter looked SO inconvenienced when I ordered a Mimosa and then when I told him to hold the OJ I thought he was going to strangle me if given the opportunity. Rude cast member aside early morning in France is definitely the place to be. Judging from your photo we dined in the exact same place.

1okig8.jpg

Also I totally agree with your rant. Last time we were in Tune in Lounge we had to stand behind children seated at the bar who were only there because there parents were trying to get out of the rain. As a childless couple who likes to stop for some beverages it really gets me angry when I see this in and around the parks.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Please note how there are no beverages for any of the 3 kids and who I could only assume was their father at the end. They were just taking up space. I took this photo a few minutes after they sat down. I waited to see if they would order anything. They did not. There were 2 kids on the other side of me as well. It bothers me because a bar where alcohol is served is a space for adults and adult conversation. It also is how the bartenders earn their pay. If there are no seats for PAYING customers, then it affects their pay. /rant

Last year, I went to Tune In for lunch (and a glass of wine) at the bar. (I like how they serve lunch at the bar--not just in the big dining room areas.) I got there early, just after 11 AM (heck, I get up around 4:30 each morning--even on vacation :rolleyes: -- so, I was starving at 11:00! :D). There were multiple bar stools available at that time. Filled in very quickly within 10 minutes; and in two separate instances, parents would pluck their kids on the bar stools (they were all waiting to be called into the main dining room).

The bartender politely informed both sets of parents that the liquor rules did not allow for underage patrons at the bar, and to please move the child. One mother literally glared at the guy. Seriously?!! Since when do TODDLERS belong sitting at a BAR??!!! :banghead: (And, I'd note that there were other chairs available in that area--just not at the bar, itself. So there were OPTIONS . . .

luvinthemajik

Since when do TODDLERS belong sitting at a BAR??!!
Agreed, @MinnieM123 , I understand waiting for your seats at the restaurant and you put a toddler or other age child, even an adult down in a seat, but, at a bar ??? and how do you just take up a seat where business is actually conducted without a thought for an incoming patron of that business or of the bartender who is depndent on the gratuities??? :(Too many people are silent in the face of such things, you politely pointed out options. These people remind me of those who put their parcels or backpacks in a bus seat.:banghead:

luvinthemajik

It was so peaceful and beautiful without all of the hustle and bustle of the crowds. It really makes you appreciate the beauty of Disney.
I am hoping @dclfan, that like you and @wdisney9000, on our upcoming August Adventure, Hubby and I will experience the same tranquility, minus the attitude, which I often wonder, does that come with a meal served in France??:rolleyes:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Last year, I went to Tune In for lunch (and a glass of wine) at the bar. (I like how they serve lunch at the bar--not just in the big dining room areas.) I got there early, just after 11 AM (heck, I get up around 4:30 each morning--even on vacation :rolleyes: -- so, I was starving at 11:00! :D). There were multiple bar stools available at that time. Filled in very quickly within 10 minutes; and in two separate instances, parents would pluck their kids on the bar stools (they were all waiting to be called into the main dining room).

The bartender politely informed both sets of parents that the liquor rules did not allow for underage patrons at the bar, and to please move the child. One mother literally glared at the guy. Seriously?!! Since when do TODDLERS belong sitting at a BAR??!!! :banghead: (And, I'd note that there were other chairs available in that area--just not at the bar, itself. So there were OPTIONS . . .
Preach!

fractal

never knew about that hidden Mickey in SSE.

I had a similar peaceful morning in World Showcase. Since I was literally the only one in France for a good hour I began thinking maybe there was something seriously wrong with me.

Thanks to you now I know that; either there is nothing wrong with me OR there is something seriously wrong with both of us!

Agree with the kids on the barstools. I know it may be tough, especially at Disney World, but sometimes parents need to be the adult/badguy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom