Trip Report A trip that never was - And always will be

My emotional state towards writing this trip report is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. How so, @wdisney9000 , you may ask? Well, many trip reports begin with people explaining how sad they are to be home and no longer in Disney World. I have had the old "Disney blues" many times myself. It is a gut wrenching feeling. But...not this time. I am not going through that emotional roller coaster of reminding myself that 48 hours ago, at this time of day, I was walking into Epcot heading towards Soarin'. I am glad to be home and leaving Disney World was not difficult nor sad, but not because it was a bad trip or because Disney World is getting old,.... No, no, no. It was one of the best family trips I have ever had, which would make one think that leaving would be even more depressing, yet it wasnt.

We have all experienced that sadness that begins to creep in the last day of your trip. You wake up excited to get to the parks but you are quickly reminded that when you wake up the next morning it will be time to take the walk of shame through the lobby with your luggage and your forced to see cars pulling up and families hop out whose trip is just beginning. You think to yourself, "that was ME just a week ago!!!:bawling::bawling::bawling:!!!!!" But in a strange twist of fate, that did not happen when we checked out. I was actually excited for the families whose Disney journey was just beginning. Normally I would want to smack that ear to ear smile right off their faces so they would be in pain like me. But nope. Not this time. I will explain why in just a bit. But I digress....lets get to the report already, shall we?

My parents decided it best to pick me up around 5 a.m. This would put us in Orlando around noon and we had an ADR for Biergarten at 2:55. I was up at 4:00 am and awaiting their arrival.

IMG_20170610_050153.jpg

Here is me at 4:55 waiting on the patio. I called my sister as I waited and they were just hitting the road as well. Keep in mind, my father still had no idea they were coming. My parents arrived at 5 and we were off!

We cruised though the city and had good traffic for most of the ride. Aside from my mom having to stop and pee every hour, we were making great time. Even saw some hot air balloons on the way which reminded me of soarin.

IMG_20170610_080054.jpg

There were about 10 hot air balloons, but this was the photo I got, lol.

I was texting my sister every hour or so to see where they were at and surprisingly we were only about 30 miles ahead of them.

Soon we were in Florida. As we passed all the anti-abortion signs it sparked a small debate on the subject which led to several other small debates, (remember, my father is a lawyer so debating/arguing is what he lives for). It helped pass the time and before we knew it we were pulling up to the toll booth. I texted my sister as we waited to pull up and she tells me they are at the toll booth as well!!!!! I look to my right and there they are.....right next to us!!!! What are the chances? --- We had rented a car, so had my sister, so luckily my dad didnt notice them, but still, we got a little nervous. I will NEVER forget the look on my brother in laws face, who was driving. It was a look of sheer helplessness, lol. We got through first and they slowed down to give us the lead. It was the first of many tense moments to keep it a secret that they were joining us.

Fast forward an hour or so aaaaaaaaand........

BINGO!

IMG_20170610_122320.jpg

We got to AKL around 12 (noon) and checked in, but the room was not ready.

IMG_20170610_124351.jpg

Such a great lobby and the smell wafting up from Boma makes it even better when you first walk in.

The CM noticed we had three separate DVC reservations. I explained we had to make 3 separate ones since not all days we available when we first booked so we added the days when they became available. He told he would link the three together so we would not have to change rooms. I thanked him, and then we cleaned up a bit and headed to Epcot for our Biergarten ADR.

IMG_20170610_132234.jpg

Mom and Dad at the bus stop.

On the bus ride to Epcot my dad started talking about the grand kids and how much fun they would have if they were there. He had even called my sister called my sister a few days before we left and offered to bring them and even pay for them but my sister told them the boys had Lacrosse camp and it was non refundable, (good one, sis!). He stared telling stories of all the memories of prior trips with the young ones. As my dad as deep in thought during his story telling, my mom gave me a quick look with a grin as if to say, "we got him right where we want him", and I slightly nodded back to confirm.

IMG_20170610_135019.jpg

We arrived at Epcot and there was a light sprinkle of rain which really cooled of the air. IT felt great outside.

Remember in my introduction of the TR when I said I wasnt sad to leave WDW? Well, thats because I did something I havent done in nearly three years. I picked up one of these little beauties ..........

IMG_20170610_140740.jpg

Yippie!!!!!!! Now I can return often which makes me not sad. Im sure some (or most of you) already figured this out when I said I wasnt sad to leave, lol. Now I can live that @Tuvalu life !!!

It felt like Christmas morning as the CM scanned my band and then proceeded to hand me the pass. Now all I need was a frosty cold one in my hand!!!!

But first...a picture with my old friend...

IMG_20170610_140758.jpg

I was able to move up the time on reservation at Biergarten so we only had about 20 minutes before it was a time to eat. I stopped off in Karamell-Kuche to tease @sheriffwoody and ser her a few photos of where I was.

Soon it was time to eat, and I had my had 1 liter hefeweizen in hand, cheers @lostpro9het !

IMG_20170610_151416.jpg

to be continued.........

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_144143.jpg
    IMG_20170610_144143.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 71

Swissmiss

Premium Member
So glad the surprise wasn't ruined at the tollgate. Reminds me of years ago we threw a surprise party for my mom (must have been for her 60th - she just passed away last month at 85). My grandfather had one of those big station wagons from the late 70s - early 80s (monster length and side paneling). We specifically told him NOT to park in front of the house because his car was so recognizable. So of course, he parked right in front of the house. I had been tasked with going somewhere with my mom to get her out of the house so everyone else could come in and get it ready; coming up the road all I see is my grandfather's car so I pull in the driveway as quickly as I can and park as far back as possible so that my mom wouldn't notice the car in front of the house. Of course this also meant we weren't as noticed coming home (and this was pre-cell phones). So my mom didn't notice the car and walks into her house and starts saying hi to the different people she sees and it takes her nearly a full 5 minutes to realize all these people were there for HER!

sheriffwoody

YAY! Trip report time! I am like you, I don't get sad when I leave anymore because I almost always know when I'll be back :D. I'm also usually ready to get home to my sweet pupdog. I miss him when we're gone!!!

I was able to move up the time on reservation at Biergarten so we only had about 20 minutes before it was a time to eat. I stopped off in Karamell-Kuche to tease @sheriffwoody and ser her a few photos of where I was.
Yeah thanks for that :cautious:

fractal

My emotional state towards writing this trip report is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. How so, @wdisney9000 , you may ask? Well, many trip reports begin with people explaining how sad they are to be home and no longer in Disney World. I have had the old "Disney blues" many times myself. It is a gut wrenching feeling. But...not this time. I am not going through that emotional roller coaster of reminding myself that 48 hours ago, at this time of day, I was walking into Epcot heading towards Soarin'. I am glad to be home and leaving Disney World was not difficult nor sad, but not because it was a bad trip or because Disney World is getting old,.... No, no, no. It was one of the best family trips I have ever had, which would make one think that leaving would be even more depressing, yet it wasnt.

We have all experienced that sadness that begins to creep in the last day of your trip. You wake up excited to get to the parks but you are quickly reminded that when you wake up the next morning it will be time to take the walk of shame through the lobby with your luggage and your forced to see cars pulling up and families hop out whose trip is just beginning. You think to yourself, "that was ME just a week ago!!!:bawling::bawling::bawling:!!!!!" But in a strange twist of fate, that did not happen when we checked out. I was actually excited for the families whose Disney journey was just beginning. Normally I would want to smack that ear to ear smile right off their faces so they would be in pain like me. But nope. Not this time. I will explain why in just a bit. But I digress....lets get to the report already, shall we?

My parents decided it best to pick me up around 5 a.m. This would put us in Orlando around noon and we had an ADR for Biergarten at 2:55. I was up at 4:00 am and awaiting their arrival.

View attachment 210936

Here is me at 4:55 waiting on the patio. I called my sister as I waited and they were just hitting the road as well. Keep in mind, my father still had no idea they were coming. My parents arrived at 5 and we were off!

We cruised though the city and had good traffic for most of the ride. Aside from my mom having to stop and pee every hour, we were making great time. Even saw some hot air balloons on the way which reminded me of soarin.

View attachment 211059

There were about 10 hot air balloons, but this was the photo I got, lol.

I was texting my sister every hour or so to see where they were at and surprisingly we were only about 30 miles ahead of them.

Soon we were in Florida. As we passed all the anti-abortion signs it sparked a small debate on the subject which led to several other small debates, (remember, my father is a lawyer so debating/arguing is what he lives for). It helped pass the time and before we knew it we were pulling up to the toll booth. I texted my sister as we waited to pull up and she tells me they are at the toll booth as well!!!!! I look to my right and there they are.....right next to us!!!! What are the chances? --- We had rented a car, so had my sister, so luckily my dad didnt notice them, but still, we got a little nervous. I will NEVER forget the look on my brother in laws face, who was driving. It was a look of sheer helplessness, lol. We got through first and they slowed down to give us the lead. It was the first of many tense moments to keep it a secret that they were joining us.

Fast forward an hour or so aaaaaaaaand........

BINGO!

View attachment 211062

We got to AKL around 12 (noon) and checked in, but the room was not ready.

View attachment 211065

Such a great lobby and the smell wafting up from Boma makes it even better when you first walk in.

The CM noticed we had three separate DVC reservations. I explained we had to make 3 separate ones since not all days we available when we first booked so we added the days when they became available. He told he would link the three together so we would not have to change rooms. I thanked him, and then we cleaned up a bit and headed to Epcot for our Biergarten ADR.

View attachment 211066
Mom and Dad at the bus stop.

On the bus ride to Epcot my dad started talking about the grand kids and how much fun they would have if they were there. He had even called my sister called my sister a few days before we left and offered to bring them and even pay for them but my sister told them the boys had Lacrosse camp and it was non refundable, (good one, sis!). He stared telling stories of all the memories of prior trips with the young ones. As my dad as deep in thought during his story telling, my mom gave me a quick look with a grin as if to say, "we got him right where we want him", and I slightly nodded back to confirm.

View attachment 211067

We arrived at Epcot and there was a light sprinkle of rain which really cooled of the air. IT felt great outside.

Remember in my introduction of the TR when I said I wasnt sad to leave WDW? Well, thats because I did something I havent done in nearly three years. I picked up one of these little beauties ..........

View attachment 211068

Yippie!!!!!!! Now I can return often which makes me not sad. Im sure some (or most of you) already figured this out when I said I wasnt sad to leave, lol. Now I can live that @Tuvalu life !!!

It felt like Christmas morning as the CM scanned my band and then proceeded to hand me the pass. Now all I need was a frosty cold one in my hand!!!!

But first...a picture with my old friend...

View attachment 211069

Soon it was time to eat, and I had my had 1 liter hefeweizen in hand, cheers @lostpro9het !

View attachment 211071

to be continued.........

Great opening!

Soooo funny that they were at the toll booth at the same time! :D

amjt660

Premium Member
Great start to the TR
The opening hit home with me ( not necessary wanting to smack someone's ear to ear smile off their face) but the rest of it did.
Glad to see you get to join the passholders club.

Being 20 hours drive/2.5 hour flight away and with 2 DD in university I have not reached the @Tuvalu status yet but someday my day will come.

Following along and enjoying the commentary - a good mix of insight, description and details but not tooo much.

Max

LeighM

Can't wait to read more :) Years ago, Mom and Granddaddy planned a surprise birthday party for Grandma and it was so hard having people sneak into the house and hide in the opposite side of the house. She was coming into the kitchen and others were sneaking out the other door :D It was all hilarious to the little kid I was watching these older adults play a form of hide and go seek. Grandma loved it once she put her makeup on LOL.

lostpro9het

Now you need to get yourself a SunPass to avoid situations like these:

FYI, the SunPass also works in Georgia if you ever feel like paying some really overpriced tolls!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 1 contd.....

We settled in for a long summers feast in the garden of bier. We were seated just next to the stage and with a very nice family who was celebrating a birthday. Yadda, yadda, yadda... who is ready for a picture of some food????

IMG_20170610_151847.jpg

2 servings of nudel gratin , german meatballs, sausage, pretzel bread and some type of beef gratin which was similar to meatloaf and it was very good. My second plate was basically the same with a few other selections.

As we chatted with the family, my sister was sending my mother and I pics of the kids swimming at the Beach Club pool. We have several family group texts with various people in each one and my sister was using the one with just her, my mother and I. Somehow she accidentally sends one to a group text with her, my mom, and MY DAD!!! But we got lucky... again. I have joked in my previous TR's of my sisters horrible choices for taking Disney pics and you can hardy tell they are at Disney. Luckily, this was one of those and it just showed the kids sitting down with ice cream outside the pool area. My dad said, "where are they" when he looked at the picture. My mom quickly came up with some response about my sister telling her about some new ice cream shop she was gonna take the kids. My dad then commented, "they are in bathing suits". My mom just shrugged and I simply started chugging my beer to avoid having to say anything. My dad shrugged it off and put his phone down. Catastrophe number 2 averted,... whew!

IMG_20170610_151919.jpg

We had great seats to watch the show. As we continued talking with the family seated at the table with us, we chatted about Disney and they asked about how often we visit Disney. Then, the dad asks me if we have any other family here visiting. Without even thinking, I blurted out, "we are meeting up with my sister eventually". Yeah..., I am a complete idiot. And I was still drinking my first beer so I cant blame it on the alcohol. I immediately said, "oh, I misunderstood, your question, I thought you asked if we ever visit with any other family members". The dad look confused, but I wasnt worried about him. I was worried about my own dad realizing I basically gave away the secret, but.....he didnt. He was going to town on his plate of food and didnt realize what I had just said. So......catastrophe number 3 avoided. And I needed another drink, lol. Years ago, when I proposed to my wife at Disney, it was rough keeping the ring hidden and the proposal a secret. This simple task of not letting my dad figure out my sister and her family was joining us proved to be just as difficult, haha.

We finished lunch and headed over to the Land. I grabbed a cold one at Sunshine Seasons. I love that place. I didnt care that I had just finished one liter of beer about 20 minutes prior, I just wanted a reason to walk into the food court and buy something.

IMG_20170610_171326.jpg

I chugged my Yuengling in the 75 feet it took to get to Living With the Land and apparently I took no pictures of it. My dad had not ridden in years so he enjoyed it. I always enjoy it. The wait time for Soarin was decent so we hopped over there to check out the new version.

I had not watched any videos of the new Soarin. I wanted to give it a fair chance. I will admit, I was keeping expectations low. The pre-ride video was the same which I was glad to see. As we boarded, I was hoping they did a good job and did not ruin a favorite of mine. I can happily say (in my opinion), they did a GREAT job. We really enjoyed it. I snapped a few pics.

soarin1.jpg

soarin2.jpg

I personally think the new Soarin is awesome. The locations are great, the music is still the same with a slight twist depending on where you are flying over and we even found a few hidden mickeys!

We left Epcot and headed back to AKL to get or room even thought I had not received a text yet. This would be the first of several communication issues we had with the resort over the next few days.

We arrived at AKL and I headed to the desk. It was almost 6 pm and I hadnt received a text. Our room was ready though. I asked why I hadnt received a message and they simply said they did no know why. Oh well, I figured no big deal. Well, on day two, it would definitely end up being a big deal, but lets not get ahead of the story.

We had a Savanah view, and my parents were excited to get to the balcony and see all the activity on the Savanah. Well, it was basically like Jurassic Park part 1 and the animals were a no show, lol. It was still a great view and my parents LOVED it.

IMG_20170610_202806.jpg

Our room was located to the right wing side of the lobby on the 5th floor,...so close to Club Level, but so far at the same time, lol. My parents took a stroll around the resort and hit the Hot Tub while i took a nap and watched Stacie.

stacie.png

I slept for about an hour then my parents returned. We showered up and got ready to head over to Pandora!!!!!!!!!!

We had a FP for Flight of Passage. It was not for awhile so we headed towards Everest and stopped to see the Tree of Life Awakening and it was AMAZING!!

tol.jpg

Next was Everest and I used my Memory Maker for the first time. It really is a great perk for AP'ers.

wdw2017162748826047_8055378468_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-tmp.jpeg

Next up.... Pandora!!!!

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster

Lol!

so happy to hear you liked Soarin'

Ya, that scene was basically how my dad was acting, in a fun way of course. My parents were blown away by the view alone. We eventually had some animals swing by tho. And yes, we really enjoyed Soarin. I get on Disney a lot for some of the nonsense they pull, but I cant say anything but good things about Soarin 2.0!!!

I bet the Dos Equis guy keeps a secret better than you. ;) :joyfull:
The children did a better a job over the last few months keeping the secret than al of us adults, haha. We kept reminding them not to give it away, but in the end, it was the other way around.

So glad the secret wasn't ruined at lunch! LOL
Ya, it was a close call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom