A Theme Park Fan's Thoughts on 'Early Morning Magic'

morningstar

It certainly sounds like you get a lot out of it. I was worried about the idea of only select attractions being open, but 7DMT alone makes that a worthwhile hour, vs. standing in line for it for that hour. Hitting the other rides and breakfast make it time will spent. Effectively being at the front of the rope droppers for the rides that open at normal time is another benefit that would normally require arriving 30 minutes ahead of park opening. I mean, you need to get up an hour earlier anyway to fit in breakfast and be in good position at rope drop, so if you're going to do that you may as well do this.

The price is a little hard to justify, considering you could get a whole extra day for that price, and with a large family and considering the small marginal cost for multi-day tickets, you could probably afford an extra day and an extra night at say a value resort. Then again time is a bigger constraint for some people than money. Also, breakfast is included in the price?

RMichael21

Original Poster
It certainly sounds like you get a lot out of it. I was worried about the idea of only select attractions being open, but 7DMT alone makes that a worthwhile hour, vs. standing in line for it for that hour. Hitting the other rides and breakfast make it time will spent. Effectively being at the front of the rope droppers for the rides that open at normal time is another benefit that would normally require arriving 30 minutes ahead of park opening. I mean, you need to get up an hour earlier anyway to fit in breakfast and be in good position at rope drop, so if you're going to do that you may as well do this.

The price is a little hard to justify, considering you could get a whole extra day for that price, and with a large family and considering the small marginal cost for multi-day tickets, you could probably afford an extra day and an extra night at say a value resort. Then again time is a bigger constraint for some people than money. Also, breakfast is included in the price?
Yes, breakfast was included. Like I said, it was just two of us there, so we wanted to try it out when it would be cheaper.

morningstar

This is a little different from my experience. Of course we decided to eat at 9 when the park opened to the regular guests and the lines formed so we rode the 3 rides and the carousal which was our bonus ride numerous times before we went to eat. For me it was worth the 400 bucks to feed 5 of us (7 actually but 2 wear diapers so they eat and ride free) and have open access to 7DMT because let me tell you, FP+ gives me all kinds of grief trying to get FP's for my parties of 5 & 6 on the rides that EVERYONE wants to go on.
And I agree the breakfast spread was one of the better ones Disney has put out.

What? You can also eat your "free" breakfast after normal park opening, so you don't have to waste your exclusive time? I almost wanna say I'm in. Though, I might get bored of riding three rides three times each for an hour, and be ready for breakfast anyway.

RMichael21

Original Poster
What? You can also eat your "free" breakfast after normal park opening, so you don't have to waste your exclusive time? I almost wanna say I'm in. Though, I might get bored of riding three rides three times each for an hour, and be ready for breakfast anyway.
Yes, breakfast is available for EMM participants at Pinocchio's Village Haus from the start of the event to 10:00am. We just chose to use our exclusive time because we had already done SDMT (3x), Peter Pan and Small World (and knew Pooh wouldn't take long to do after breakfast) and didn't want to trek all the way back to Fantasyland before 10am.

NonnaT

Hey fellow WDWMAGIC members! I know... I know... You all clicked on that ever so tempting title looking for a fellow Disney fan to bash the "cash grab" that is Disney's Early Morning Magic at the Magic Kingdom. But, before we jump to conclusions, let's start from the beginning and give you a play by play of the Early Morning Magic experience. Also, I'd just like to preface this by saying that this is my opinion, that's what these boards are about. If you have another opinion that differs from mine, feel free to discuss, I'd like to hear what others have to say.

This past Tuesday, July 26th, 2016, my dad and I figured we should try the Early Morning Magic while we were down in Florida with a smaller party of just two as opposed to four or more. We wanted to test the waters so that way if we liked it, we could return with the rest of our family at a later time (assuming it is still being offered in the future). So, we handed Disney our two payments of $69 dollars for a grand total of $138.

But, be aware, this is super important for those looking to try out Early Morning Magic. We like to be dropped off at the Grand Floridian and then take a ride over to MK, but both the resort monorail (can't speak for the express monorail) and the boat weren't operating. So, we tried to catch a bus, and they weren't running any to MK. The only reason why we got a bus was because a very nice driver heading to DAK brought us to MK (and another family as well) instead of taking his scheduled route. So, I'd just go to the TTC, as I'd assume they operate the ferry and Express Monorail.

We arrived at the Magic Kingdom at around 7:25am and went to Guest Services to sort out another issue that I won't go into detail here. We were given a wristband and allowed to go past the touch point and wait outside the park with a group of other guests. Most of these people were there for breakfast reservations at Royal Table, Crystal Palace or Be Our Guests as they didn't have wristbands on.

Anyway, at 7:45, we were all allowed into the Magic Kingdom. We stopped for some pictures in front of the castle (there were photo pass photographers lined up all the way down the street, even this early in the morning) and walked to Fantasyland. We headed over to SDMT and there was maybe four or five other families there at the moment. We went through the Fastness line, got in the back seat and went off on a half full train. When we got off, we got right back in line and rode again with zero wait.

Next up was Peter Pan, and we walked onto that attraction as well. In addition, Cast Members told us as we were exiting PPF that It's A Small World was open as a "bonus" attraction as it was not advertised to open during the event. So, we rode that (also a walk on) and were the only ones in our boat.

Next came breakfast, which we were VERY surprised by. For food made in a theme park, it was pretty good. There were scrambled eggs, home fries, sausages, french toast, pastries, juices, fruits, etc.

After breakfast, we walked right on SDMT (again) and then did Winnie the Pooh with zero wait as well. All of this had occurred from 7:50am - 8:50am, and as soon at the park opened for other guests, SDMT had an 60 minute wait, PPF had a 50 minute wait and both Pooh and IASW both had 25 minute waits.

Another great perk of EMM was the fact that once we had done this, we were free to walk into Tomorrowland (there weren't any kind of barriers), take a few pictures in front of Space Mountain and walk on the ride just before any other guests arrived. By 9:15am, we had already ridden Space Mountain twice (once being the first guests in line and the second with our pre-booked fastpass) and Buzz Lightyear. We were then able to go to Frontierland and ride both Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain with 15 minute waits each. Basically, EMM provided us with the time to be "ahead of the curve" and beat the crowds to attractions not included with the event.

There were a few small cons. For example, a few (let me stress a few) Cast Members were a little grumpy in having to operate their attraction for a small group of people at 8:00 in the morning, but honestly, that's pretty understandable. But, we did have a good bunch of other great interactions with other CMs, so I'm not going to be picky.

In total, there maybe (max) 60-70 people there for EMM (possibly even less), which I was expecting to be honest, with the factors of price and having to wake up ridiculously early weighing in on people's decisions in attending the event.

But, the 70 bucks per person was worth it in my honest opinion, because we had a great time, were able to ride the most popular attractions in the park (sometimes more than once) by an hour after the park's normal opening and were able to take a more relaxed pace throughout the rest of the day. Now, the short-lived nighttime version of this I beg to differ, but I feel the morning version is much more thought-out and is available at a much improved price.

Now, I know this event may not be suitable for everyone, but if you have any other questions about EMM or my day at the park, feel free to ask! Once again, I'm not looking to start any fights on this one. ;):hilarious: I just wanted to share my thoughts. :)
I'm really, really hoping that they have EMM when we are there in December!!!
Thank you for the great report!

21stamps

Bumping this thread- does anyone remember when the announcement that EMM was being extended was made? One month in advance, 2 months in advance, etc?

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

An earlier review on Allears.net observed that about 15 minutes before official park opening, BoG breakfast guests were allowed to access attractions along with the early morning magic customers.

Was this still the case or did they maintain your exclusive park time right up until park opening time?
I saw when she reviewed that. She said after they started letting the general population in that she was then forced to wait in the fast pass line with them by a CM when she was still within the time window of the "event". She was livid and I would have been too. We have AP's and I think we get half off if we do the evening version as DVC members but I'm not sure we get a discount on the Early version or not. But if we did I could see it being worth it if you had a family member joining you for the day who never gets to go because you could go in there and knock out some quick attractions that are always busy early. Although my mom joined us for a day in May and within an hour we had ridden Space Mtn twice, Speedway, Dumbo, Barnstormer, and Buzz pretty much within an hour. We then had fastpasses to Snow White, Peter Pan, and the Jungle Cruise. So by lunch I had put her on all of those rides. I really think that as long as you know what you're doing you can experience pretty much everything in the park. It's just a matter of thinking it out. My logic is always why go to Snow White or Peter Pan first when you can get a fast pass for them and go to other things while the line for those is filling up. I feel like you actually wind up limiting yourself if you do the bigger draws first. I could be wrong though.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
An earlier review on Allears.net observed that about 15 minutes before official park opening, BoG breakfast guests were allowed to access attractions along with the early morning magic customers.

Was this still the case or did they maintain your exclusive park time right up until park opening time?

Just a quick question related to this: I have a breakfast planned at Crystal Palace at 8 am one morning for an upcoming trip. I didn't realize until now that it's during one of these EMM events. Will we be able to get in for our ADR? I wasn't planning on attending the EMM (nor will we want to take advantage of rides or anything like that) but I don't want to have to cancel our ADR if it's not necessary. I had a BOG reservation during a MNSSHP that I ended up canceling bc we are not planning on going to the event (at least not that night-I guess an oversight on my part when making the ADR). Anyhow, just curious if I need to cancel the Crystal Palace ADR.

Thanks!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Just a quick question related to this: I have a breakfast planned at Crystal Palace at 8 am one morning for an upcoming trip. I didn't realize until now that it's during one of these EMM events. Will we be able to get in for our ADR? I wasn't planning on attending the EMM (nor will we want to take advantage of rides or anything like that) but I don't want to have to cancel our ADR if it's not necessary. I had a BOG reservation during a MNSSHP that I ended up canceling bc we are not planning on going to the event (at least not that night-I guess an oversight on my part when making the ADR). Anyhow, just curious if I need to cancel the Crystal Palace ADR.

Thanks!!
No you do not need to cancel your ADR. Pre-park opening breakfast reservations have a separate line on the far left side of the turnstiles. Your MagicBand will be scanned and you will admitted into the park.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
No you do not need to cancel your ADR. Pre-park opening breakfast reservations have a separate line on the far left side of the turnstiles. Your MagicBand will be scanned and you will admitted into the park.

Awesome! Thanks so much, Tuvalu! Of all the times going to WDW, we've never done a breakfast before the park opens (never been much of a morning person-how things change with kids :p), so this information is perfect. Thanks again:D

gobstoper27

Hey fellow WDWMAGIC members! I know... I know... You all clicked on that ever so tempting title looking for a fellow Disney fan to bash the "cash grab" that is Disney's Early Morning Magic at the Magic Kingdom. But, before we jump to conclusions, let's start from the beginning and give you a play by play of the Early Morning Magic experience. Also, I'd just like to preface this by saying that this is my opinion, that's what these boards are about. If you have another opinion that differs from mine, feel free to discuss, I'd like to hear what others have to say.

This past Tuesday, July 26th, 2016, my dad and I figured we should try the Early Morning Magic while we were down in Florida with a smaller party of just two as opposed to four or more. We wanted to test the waters so that way if we liked it, we could return with the rest of our family at a later time (assuming it is still being offered in the future). So, we handed Disney our two payments of $69 dollars for a grand total of $138.

But, be aware, this is super important for those looking to try out Early Morning Magic. We like to be dropped off at the Grand Floridian and then take a ride over to MK, but both the resort monorail (can't speak for the express monorail) and the boat weren't operating. So, we tried to catch a bus, and they weren't running any to MK. The only reason why we got a bus was because a very nice driver heading to DAK brought us to MK (and another family as well) instead of taking his scheduled route. So, I'd just go to the TTC, as I'd assume they operate the ferry and Express Monorail.

We arrived at the Magic Kingdom at around 7:25am and went to Guest Services to sort out another issue that I won't go into detail here. We were given a wristband and allowed to go past the touch point and wait outside the park with a group of other guests. Most of these people were there for breakfast reservations at Royal Table, Crystal Palace or Be Our Guests as they didn't have wristbands on.

Anyway, at 7:45, we were all allowed into the Magic Kingdom. We stopped for some pictures in front of the castle (there were photo pass photographers lined up all the way down the street, even this early in the morning) and walked to Fantasyland. We headed over to SDMT and there was maybe four or five other families there at the moment. We went through the Fastness line, got in the back seat and went off on a half full train. When we got off, we got right back in line and rode again with zero wait.

Next up was Peter Pan, and we walked onto that attraction as well. In addition, Cast Members told us as we were exiting PPF that It's A Small World was open as a "bonus" attraction as it was not advertised to open during the event. So, we rode that (also a walk on) and were the only ones in our boat.

Next came breakfast, which we were VERY surprised by. For food made in a theme park, it was pretty good. There were scrambled eggs, home fries, sausages, french toast, pastries, juices, fruits, etc.

After breakfast, we walked right on SDMT (again) and then did Winnie the Pooh with zero wait as well. All of this had occurred from 7:50am - 8:50am, and as soon at the park opened for other guests, SDMT had an 60 minute wait, PPF had a 50 minute wait and both Pooh and IASW both had 25 minute waits.

Another great perk of EMM was the fact that once we had done this, we were free to walk into Tomorrowland (there weren't any kind of barriers), take a few pictures in front of Space Mountain and walk on the ride just before any other guests arrived. By 9:15am, we had already ridden Space Mountain twice (once being the first guests in line and the second with our pre-booked fastpass) and Buzz Lightyear. We were then able to go to Frontierland and ride both Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain with 15 minute waits each. Basically, EMM provided us with the time to be "ahead of the curve" and beat the crowds to attractions not included with the event.

There were a few small cons. For example, a few (let me stress a few) Cast Members were a little grumpy in having to operate their attraction for a small group of people at 8:00 in the morning, but honestly, that's pretty understandable. But, we did have a good bunch of other great interactions with other CMs, so I'm not going to be picky.

In total, there maybe (max) 60-70 people there for EMM (possibly even less), which I was expecting to be honest, with the factors of price and having to wake up ridiculously early weighing in on people's decisions in attending the event.

But, the 70 bucks per person was worth it in my honest opinion, because we had a great time, were able to ride the most popular attractions in the park (sometimes more than once) by an hour after the park's normal opening and were able to take a more relaxed pace throughout the rest of the day. Now, the short-lived nighttime version of this I beg to differ, but I feel the morning version is much more thought-out and is available at a much improved price.

Now, I know this event may not be suitable for everyone, but if you have any other questions about EMM or my day at the park, feel free to ask! Once again, I'm not looking to start any fights on this one. ;):hilarious: I just wanted to share my thoughts. :)

It's a shame that posts need to be prefaced with the "it's my opinion" disclaimer, but anywho, I'm glad to see you had a pleasurable experience and it does seem that you had an advantage by getting a head start with the more popular rides. Nice report

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom