A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

choco choco

Anyway, now Legal is working on Visa because WDI doesn't want the Visa logo visible on any SWE cash register or restaurant bill folder, despite Disney's sponsorship contract that says Visa gets that branding privilege. WDI is really taking the story and theme that seriously, no matter the cost. Some might say they are taking things way too seriously.

Come on WDI. You have a hundred excellent graphic designers at your beck and call. This is an opportunity to get witty and creative. Why not embrace this challenge?

Tom Morrow

Guest relations just needs to remind people of the wait times for GotG. Because it will be extremely popular. Twilight Zone IP has always had a limited shelf life within the Disney universe.
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought up the "Twilight Zone is not a relevant IP!" argument in this thread, and of course it was you, king of missing the point of everything.

The popularity of Tower of Terror has very little to do with The Twilight Zone itself. You could retain the story and setting and remove the references to the Twilight Zone and it would honestly barely hurt the attraction. In some ways it might even improve it because it means we'd probably get a better show scene than the title sequence that is the 5th Dimension. Also, The Twilight Zone being an anthology show only supports this because every single episode was different, so really its just a name as there is no IP characters/setting/etc to attach to.

Tower of Terror resonates well with people because the golden age of Hollywood, abandoned places that once thrived, haunted hotels, classic ghost stories, tragedies, are all endearing topics, and it's one of the most detailed and immersive attractions ever created.

yeti

Oh goddammit...

I'm admiring that commitment to story in Star Wars Land though.

Yeah I'm conflicted on that one. It appears they're taking "world-building" to the nth degree here. This idea of complete "immersion" that WDI is married to might be the only way to approach a world as alien as Star Wars, and could perhaps be a groundbreaking approach to theme park design. On the other hand, it's a little indulgent if there's going to be a million dollar penalty, and sort of like in the movie business, I fear the kind of wise spending that sparks creativity is a forgotten art at WDI.

fngoofy

What a hot mess. It makes no sense to kill the entire vibe of your park for one attraction. It is Sunset Blvd. for goodness sake. Hopefully they will get a handle on this. I know at one point there was speculation that Echo lake was where Star Wars was going to go, and that worked itself out.
This really does stink and will seriously impact the money they get from me.

jt04

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought up the "Twilight Zone is not a relevant IP!" argument in this thread, and of course it was you, king of missing the point of everything.

The popularity of Tower of Terror has very little to do with The Twilight Zone itself. You could retain the story and setting and remove the references to the Twilight Zone and it would honestly barely hurt the attraction. In some ways it might even improve it because it means we'd probably get a better show scene than the title sequence that is the 5th Dimension. Also, The Twilight Zone being an anthology show only supports this because every single episode was different, so really its just a name as there is no IP characters/setting/etc to attach to.

Tower of Terror resonates well with people because the golden age of Hollywood, abandoned places that once thrived, haunted hotels, classic ghost stories, tragedies, are all endearing topics, and it's one of the most detailed and immersive attractions ever created.

Agreed that is a classic up to the elevators. After that it lacks the immersion of HM or Pirates. Especially on repeat visits. This is classic Eisner. While well meaning, he thought it better to pull back the curtain on the magic a bit. Especially at the studios. I don't want to see the magician' s tricks in slow motion. I want to be immersed in the magic. I want to suspend my cynicism and enjoy the show. I think Imagineering can make that happen. Guardians would not be my first choice for WDW' s Tower although I think it is a good choice for DCA.

Interestingly Grace over at Beyond the Trailer hints at a different possibly today even if not deliberate. I think this might have been what stirred a certain spirit.
It is an amazing possibility which always causes a certain group here to try and kill an idea before it takes root. Notice I didn't say groot. Although that character could be planted in the same vicinity. Speculative thinking but seems reasoned.
Very spoilery so caution.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
A lot of you know how i feel about ToT since many of the posts I create and pics I take (I'll be there tomorrow), revolve around the ToT and Sunset Blvd. There is nothing I can say that hasn't been said already regarding the general disgust and vitriol I have for the Bob's and their moronic plans for our beloved parks.

With that being said, the only thing I have left to ask is, when do we riot?

hpyhnt 1000

Just unbelievably idiotic to even contemplate putting Guardians in Tower of Terror. But then they actually are doing it out in California. If this goes through in Orlando, might as well make SSE the Death Star and the Tree of Life an Ewok village and just go all in on the IP-ification of the resort. Find a way to incorporate Cinderella Castle in GotG vol. 2 and - voila - everything neatly tied to Marvel and Star Wars.

Only silver lining is that it looks like the timeline is still in years, not weeks. So plenty of time for this to get shoved back into the dust bin where it belongs. *fingers crossed*

jt04

PS- I am absolutely positive that the Twilight Zone IP will land somewhere if Disney gives it up. Possibly in a much bigger and bolder way. That won't happen unless Disney lets it go.

So, glass half full. If you are a real TZ fan.

VJ

The upper doors will flash open to a view of the resort much like they do now, and the show has now been rewritten with dialogue that mentions Disneyland being on the horizon before the doors close and the elevator drops again.
Cohesive theming? What's that?

I'm much less optimistic about this than I was with my "wait and see" approach. If your info is solid (which it usually is)... wow. Just wow.

TinkerBelle8878

Maybe this will reverse before it comes to any demolition to DHS. I'd rather see the Mel Brooks' version that was originally planned instead of Guardians shoehorned in there. At least it would keep the original structure and most of the themeing. Rock and Roller coaster makes so much more sense for a Guardians fit. Make it an escape from the jail like in the movie. The sound booth can be the interrogation room thing. I'd much rather the thoughts and money for this park be put to doing a DL style Indy ride with a different mission but still the random ending. Put some of this in the old catastrophe canyon/studios lot that had the offices.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
If the rebranding of Tower actually happens I will be disappointed. Not going to worry about it now. So many plans that have been cast in stone don't happen for reasons like budget cuts or they get shelved for the future. Time will tell if it actually happens.

Bairstow

(MADE UP FRUITS FROM THE STAR WARS CGI CARTOON)

jaa7pj5.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom