A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

NearTheEars

A volcano in Central Florida wouldn't be compelling enough?

What are theme parks in FL known for again?

I must say, that volcano is already eye catching while it's under construction. I can imagine that it will draw plenty of curious people inside at least once. Then it's up to UNI to keep them coming back.

I also wonder how many crashes it will cause. (Only half kidding) I'm quite distracted every time I pass by.

NearTheEars

Guys, Volcano Bay is a a state of the art top shelf water park. Every color of every slide was chosen with purpose. Every slide is a custom slide. Like the colors or not, fine. They didn't buy clearance slides from the Special Deals section of the ProSlides website.

You spend a lot of time defending UNI here when you really don't need to. They've been knocking it out of the park with every recent attraction, and I doubt VB, no matter how they want to categorize it, will be any different.

And like I said before, As a big WDW fan, I hope UNI keeps raising the bar. Competition is great for fans.

BrianLo

Moana isn't doing as well internationally and underperforming in China. Will that stop the plans for Moana in HK?

No, the plans are pretty minor to begin with. It's also doing fine if Frozen is the benchmark you are referring to, which is getting a whole land and finished its China run with 48 million.

I'm pretty sure the HK gov will stop the plans before Moana's box office.

Deadline said:
France was the big bow with a No. 1 at $5.2M ($6.4M including previews), which is equal to Frozen. That film benefited from a Wednesday holiday whereas Moana did not. Moana also topped Russia with $5.1M. That’s the 4th best Disney Animation or Pixar opening ever. Mexico launched at No. 1 with $2.7M, just 14% behind Frozen. Spain was also No. 1 with $2M for a start that was 39% ahead of Big Hero 6.

Elsewhere in Europe, Moana opened 21% ahead of Frozen in Belgium and 15% behind that film in the Netherlands. In French-speaking Switzerland, the seafarer landed 17% behind Anna and Elsa.

In holds, China posted $5.5M for a 55% drop from last week’s launch. The market is crowded with Hollywood and local fare as well as the debut of Japanese smash Your Name. The cume there is not exactly a boatload at $21.3M, but has topped Inside Out. Also, its daily grosses, according to unofficial figures, rose from Friday-Sunday. China is currently the lead market, followed by France, Russia, Mexico and the UK.

Rollout for the family pic continues notably in Germany and Italy on December 22. Brazil, Korea and Japan will be unwrapped next year.

rle4lunch

Just got back from MK tonight. I can't believe how crowded it is. I thought kids were in school? We went back to the poly to watch the fireworks from the beach.

Heard something on the monorail Saturday when just got here that all the people that were here the week of the hurricane were rescheduled for this week.

HauntedMansionFLA

Heard something on the monorail Saturday when just got here that all the people that were here the week of the hurricane were rescheduled for this week.
It looks like some sort of cheering competition and football tournament going on too. We are staying at the Poly and Saturday was crazy when we got here.

rle4lunch

Ya the GF was nuts when we checked in. went to uni yesterday .pretty dead over there. Kong was walk on. so was most of pottersville as well. 10 minutes wait for almost everything

RSoxNo1

The positive correlation between type and quality is another failing of the vocabulary built on the unique qualities of themed entertainment combined with several historical and socioeconomic factors.

First, the term 'theme' is used to describe too much. My go to example would be two people building a Batman themed room. One does a room painted in Batman blue and grey with some posters and collectables. This is a Batman themed room. The other person builds the Batcave. This is also a Batman themed room. So while both rooms can be described as themed, if story is at the heart of themed entertainment, then only one of these can be called 'themed' in the sense of themed entertainment. This is the notion of themed decor (the first room) and themed experience (the Batcave).

The distinction itself between themed experience and themed decor does not answer why any sort of value judgement is applied. As the quality of a themed experience drops the more it takes on an image similar to themed decor. A very well done Batcave is not going to look like a room, it will not be a clear box and there will sculpted set elements to created a realistic looking cave environment along wth other elements such as temperature, sounds, and so forth. As quality decreases we would expect the room to be more noticeable as a room and the amount of sculpture to decrease, the whole thing becomes less experiential and more visual. Continuing the decrease in quality we might find ourselves with a rectangular room with vinyl cave graphics applied to the wall and a grey floor. That story intent of themed experience would still be there but the visual is not much different than a room painted in Batman blue and grey (themed decor). Themed decor as it gets more expensive does not really gain the image of themed experience, so this creates the illusion of a linear relationship that moves down from high quality to low quality, from themed experience to themed decor to no theme.

Nothing about themed experience, themed decor and no theme actually puts them into such a linear, connected series that correlates to quality. Instead the optics of this relationship are something that have been reinforced as a matter of history. Amusement parks, even at their height in the early 20th century, were never considered high culture. By the 1950s when Disneyland opened their reputation as places of little quality was well established. Disneyland being both themed experience and a high quality amusement park helped to create the notion of this concept of theme parks being higher quality and amusement parks being lesser quality. Economics have continued to reinforce the distinction. The regional theme parks that opened in the wake of Disneyland would often open more focused on themed experience, but as a matter of distinction, cost and lack of understanding would incorporated themed decor. This is possible because themed entertainment / themed experiences are heavily built on elements that are not inherently story driven. A roller coaster can be a themed experience (the Batmobile racing out of the Batcave and through the streets of Gotham), themed decor (painted Batman colors) or just a roller coaster. Movies of low quality do not get labeled something else because there is no history of moving pictures without any sense of story nor a history correlating such moving pictures to quality.
Very well put. It's basically theming vs decorating.

BrianLo

I don't know if it's been mentioned here but the Roaring Rapids ride in Shanghai is closed and will be indefinitely with no idea when it could reopen.

I assume they are fixing the reliability issues now that temps have dipped to single digits.

If original rumors were to be believed this was going to happen right after opening, but I guess they pushed through and waited for a season it wouldn't be as missed.

truecoat

Still a little bit behind in the thread so sorry if we moved on...

But I disagree. This had to be a specific decision made be the ride designer. 100's of million dollar Theme parks/water parks do not leave this type of detail to the whim of the manufacturer. I think these colors were done to highlight the ride system. Agree or disagree a heavily themed tube would not have been visible from a long distance and would have been masked within the side of the volcano. Water Parks are more about thrill so being able to see this immense mountain and seeing where you would be going around the structure makes it more compelling.

I was just speculating. I've been to a bunch of water parks and a lot of them have similar colors. I'm sure they could be custom but I couldn't tell.

4_water-parks.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom