A Spirited Valentine ...

Bairstow

And it's surrounded by trees. You don't see it really unless you're right in front of it or otherwise close.
Wait, what?. You pass right in front of it as you leave the station. The idea is that you "bow" to each other before the coaster mounts the lift hill and starts to "fly".
It's not like anyone's going to miss it.

Disneyhead'71

Wait, what?. You pass right in front of it as you leave the station. The idea is that you "bow" to each other before the coaster mounts the lift hill and starts to "fly".

I'm pretty sure he means the coaster is surrounded by trees camouflaging it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Greetings!

Hope y'all are having as amazing a summer as I am.

Since we last talked, we had the D23 Expo (this is where you cue the fanboi droolfest about how much Bob Iger cares about the parks and gets them and is investing in them -- without acknowledging that much of what was announced may not happen or may happen in other forms and at later dates or that Bob was supposed to be gone from the company two years ago when he had pretty much not done anything of note at least for WDW!) or what I call The Disney Decade Redux and I visited SDL (and the Shanghai Disney Store where I was tempted to take a stormtrooper and get a CM to pose with me for a new avatar!) for the first time and returned to my beloved TDR for the first time in six long years (I am not Tom Bricker as you know).

I will be attempting to start a new thread in the next few weeks tying all of these things together. Besides, don't you really want to know why the DCA Marvel announcement was pulled for the second Expo in a row in the last 72 hours? Or why things that are happening in FL (like Brazil at EPCOT, UK attraction, Tiki Birds replacement, Mansion dining, Club 33, new hotel structure etc.) were not announced, but others were?

I am fascinated.

Just a few comments to tease, though. SDL was everything I thought it would be. The good, the bad and the ugly. It was all there. And while some parts of the park (you know them ... Adventure Isle and Pirate Cove) are truly top notch and can compete in some ways with TDS, much of the park is a mess of clashing design and just poor choices. A few folks here, notably @lazyboy97o (because I recall his posting after visiting) talked about the bad layout issues and was dead on accurate. I have never had to walk more in any Disney park than this one and much of this is on the designers and the dumb layout. And all that future expansion is a poor excuse, especially since that capacity was needed yesterday (Disney lies about a lot, but not about crowds at SDL in my experience on the ground and talking to people).

As much as I liked SDL -- and I did (Pirates is truly worth the plane fare alone and schools UNI on how you use screens effectively. It easily is a worldwide Top 10 attraction and I could see people saying Top 5) -- that place has so many issues. Shocking, right?

TDR is the polar opposite. It is like stepping into the 1970s or 80s WDW or DL. Show quality is damn near perfect ON EVERYTHING. (ask me about that huge AA on Roaring Rapids or how many rides on Pirates it took for Davy Jones to die!) Park is impeccably clean. CMs are friendly and their English has improved so much since last time and part of that is due to the run-up to the 2020 Olympiad.

But what I really want to share with you is the two different ways Disney parks are run. On one hand you have US and Parisian parks that are owned outright by TWDC and two China parks in which Disney owns a large percentage, on the other hand you have parks owned and run by the OLC. If you like today's Disney, were thrilled when Chappie told you about GotG coming to epcot and showed vague art that purposely looks like Shanghai's Gardens of Imagination (which aren't really all that garden-like and don't show all that much imagination either) and think that Rey and Chewie and Thor and Captain America are -- and should be -- what Disney is about, then you should head to SDL and not read my upcoming thread. If you are old school, then TDR is still the gold standard -- and it will be getting even better, lots better in the next decade (but Nemo Searider isn't all that great!)

I shall now let you get back to debating whether the gondolas are coming to WDW or discussing why Pirates suddenly needs to change a 60s era scene (it won't change in Tokyo ... just watch!) or why Song of the South is racist but Peter Pan and Dumbo are not (way to go Whoopi!) or whether HoP was really supposed to be open now or how wicked awesome you think the next 33 Marvel films will be.

To my MAGICal friends, hope you all are well and having great summers! To MAGICal Steve aka @wdwmagic, D23 good for the site's numbers? Any records for traffic?

Oh, one last one ... Tron was a dumb idea for MK. It isn't going to work with WDW's demos unless significant changes are made (but it is a kewl ride, but still too short!)

Burgower1994

giphy.gif

me in the next couple of days waiting for @WDW1974 epic discussion!

brb1006

Spirited Greetings!

Since we last talked, we had the D23 Expo (this is where you cue the fanboi droolfest about how much Bob Iger cares about the parks and gets them and is investing in them -- without acknowledging that much of what was announced may not happen or may happen in other forms and at later dates or that Bob was supposed to be gone from the company two years ago when he had pretty much not done anything of note at least for WDW!) or what I call The Disney Decade Redux and I visited SDL (and the Shanghai Disney Store where I was tempted to take a stormtrooper and get a CM to pose with me for a new avatar!) for the first time and returned to my beloved TDR for the first time in six long years (I am not Tom Bricker as you know).

I will be attempting to start a new thread in the next few weeks tying all of these things together. Besides, don't you really want to know why the DCA Marvel announcement was pulled for the second Expo in a row in the last 72 hours? Or why things that are happening in FL (like Brazil at EPCOT, UK attraction, Tiki Birds replacement, Mansion dining, Club 33, new hotel structure etc.) were not announced, but others were?

I am fascinated.

Just a few comments to tease, though. SDL was everything I thought it would be. The good, the bad and the ugly. It was all there. And while some parts of the park (you know them ... Adventure Isle and Pirate Cove) are truly top notch and can compete in some ways with TDS, much of the park is a mess of clashing design and just poor choices. A few folks here, notably @lazyboy97o (because I recall his posting after visiting) talked about the bad layout issues and was dead on accurate. I have never had to walk more in any Disney park than this one and much of this is on the designers and the dumb layout. And all that future expansion is a poor excuse, especially since that capacity was needed yesterday (Disney lies about a lot, but not about crowds at SDL in my experience on the ground and talking to people).

As much as I liked SDL -- and I did (Pirates is truly worth the plane fare alone and schools UNI on how you use screens effectively. It easily is a worldwide Top 10 attraction and I could see people saying Top 5) -- that place has so many issues. Shocking, right?

TDR is the polar opposite. It is like stepping into the 1970s or 80s WDW or DL. Show quality is damn near perfect ON EVERYTHING. (ask me about that huge AA on Roaring Rapids or how many rides on Pirates it took for Davy Jones to die!) Park is impeccably clean. CMs are friendly and their English has improved so much since last time and part of that is due to the run-up to the 2020 Olympiad.

But what I really want to share with you is the two different ways Disney parks are run. On one hand you have US and Parisian parks that are owned outright by TWDC and two China parks in which Disney owns a large percentage, on the other hand you have parks owned and run by the OLC. If you like today's Disney, were thrilled when Chappie told you about GotG coming to epcot and showed vague art that purposely looks like Shanghai's Gardens of Imagination (which aren't really all that garden-like and don't show all that much imagination either) and think that Rey and Chewie and Thor and Captain America are -- and should be -- what Disney is about, then you should head to SDL and not read my upcoming thread. If you are old school, then TDR is still the gold standard -- and it will be getting even better, lots better in the next decade (but Nemo Searider isn't all that great!)

I shall now let you get back to debating whether the gondolas are coming to WDW or discussing why Pirates suddenly needs to change a 60s era scene (it won't change in Tokyo ... just watch!) or why Song of the South is racist but Peter Pan and Dumbo are not (way to go Whoopi!) or whether HoP was really supposed to be open now or how wicked awesome you think the next 33 Marvel films will be.

To my MAGICal friends, hope you all are well and having great summers! To MAGICal Steve aka @wdwmagic, D23 good for the site's numbers? Any records for traffic?

Oh, one last one ... Tron was a dumb idea for MK. It isn't going to work with WDW's demos unless significant changes are made (but it is a kewl ride, but still too short!)
I hope we get to hear your thoughts on the updated Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights or Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I'm really curious to hear your experience.

Mike S

I was talking about the coaster not animatronic.
I'm pretty sure he means the coaster is surrounded by trees camouflaging it.
What he said.
Spirited Greetings!

I am fascinated.

I was in attendance at that parks panel and am very excited. I'm still old school at heart but have pretty much accepted the inevitable at this point. Why fight a losing battle?

I'll be there on the 13th to say my goodbyes to the Dinosaurs of UoE.
How so? Seems like the same demo that Flight of Passage is pleasing.
I think he's referring to the demo that can't fit on FoP of which there are many at WDW. Tron is supposedly even worse with that.

Mike S

Mike, did you visit USH on your recent trip to CA? I've only seen Potter there, and not Orlando, and I'm curious to know how the Hogsmeade areas compare.
I haven't been to USH so I wouldn't know the differences other than we have an actual Hogwarts Express and a roller coaster that will soon be replaced.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How so? Seems like the same demo that Flight of Passage is pleasing.

First of all, I have been out of the country for longer than FoP has been open so I won't presume to assume what demos FoP is or isn't pleasing. Hell, I won't even comment on the fact that WDW is having a dreadful summer because if 30% off food deals for the next two months and lifting weeks of blackouts for lower tier APs doesn't show that (along with shorter than normal park hours at big dog MK) than nothing will, Cap.

But my comment, which I will discuss further in an upcoming thread is that Tron is very slow loading in a park where I saw one ECV in two full days -- and this was a person who needed it and wasn't morbidly obese and riding anyway -- and no double-wide strollers. Loading is complex and requires one individual crossing behind seating, which both American lawyers and dumb Guests will have difficulty with.

And let's not even talk about how lazy this is. This is akin to fanboi fantasies that Mystic Manor will be cloned and come to MK. Because in every real sense, Tron IS SDL's Space Mountain. So, WDW will have ancient Space Mountain next to Modern Space Mountain. It was a bad choice for this park unless Disney is planning on shutting down (or doing something major) with Space ... even then, it is dumb.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Welcome back WDW1974! You've been missed.

Looking forward to the new thread @WDW1974 anxious to see more detailed thoughts from you on everything.

Thanks much. But not back yet. Call this a cameo and preview. It may well be a few weeks before I have the thread ready as I also would like to confirm a few things and I was out of the loop until recently.

But, please, tell the bois that NO Mary Poppins ride is being built or added to ANY Disney Park in the world right now as that seems a popular thought.

Also, how has Volcano Bay been doing since its disastrous (and it was) opening? Has UNI finally just admitted that they built an unfinished water park and then added a ridiculous system with five-hour waits for water slides and called the thing groundbreaking? That was Disney level arrogance there!

Oh, and anyone want to tell me how I was wrong about SW being much behind in FL? Or did I mishear my good pal Chappie say that it will first open in Anaheim and months later ... in Orlando (at least parts of it will)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom