A Spirited Valentine ...

Cesar R M

I'm not wishing for it to miss its deadline, It just wouldn't surprise me. Of all the recent lands, the Imagineers are under a lot of pressure not to mess Star Wars up. There's very few Pandora fanboys out there.

At least I'm not some conspiracy theorist who still thinks it will never open (yet has now shifted their stance to being "won't open simultaneously" with DL).
Actually, I would say its the opposite.
Since Star Wars has a very extreme and devout fanbase who churns merchandise like nothing else. I dont think they NEED to put that much detail.

Avatar in the other hand, was unproven with almost zero merchandise absorption after the movie started to lose its mojo. So the risk was higher and the need to surpass expectations was there.

Cesar R M

New Builds: Pandora, Harambe expansion, Shanghai's Pirates, Roaring Rapids exploration area, Mystic Manor.

Entertainment: Mickey and the Magical Map, some of the SDL shows, some (though not all versions of WoC), Frozen at DCA, Muppets Great moments in history.

Disney Springs is fantastic actually.

Lots more things that are great, but more controversial purely based on the IP-phobia.
Doesn't Harambe count as rebuild/refresh? after all they build that are on an existing pathway AND added the theater that was at Camp Minnie's.

Also Muppets is a manual style puppet show? or animatronic?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually, I would say its the opposite.
Since Star Wars has a very extreme and devout fanbase who churns merchandise like nothing else. I dont think they NEED to put that much detail.

Avatar in the other hand, was unproven with almost zero merchandise absorption after the movie started to lose its mojo. So the risk was higher and the need to surpass expectations was there.
When it comes to fanboys though StarWars is as devoted as any out there. The hardcore fans will be very critical if there are any details in the land that don't follow canon. Not many would know if the Pandora details actually fit with the movies, plus the movies were all CGI so it's less possible to make a physical set identical to what you saw on the screen.

IMHO it was a very smart move by WDI to make SWLand an unknown planet in the SW Universe. It gives them the freedom to build a land that works best for a theme park instead of being forced into building an exact replica of a movie set. For example, if they built the Mos Eisley Cantina and it didn't look exactly like the movie fanboys would riot, but it may not be practical to make the Cantina the size and shape of the movie. With the Potter lands Universal was held to the look of the movies and while they did a great job with the look some of the areas are not laid out in the most practical manner for crowd flow which they may have wanted for a theme park attraction.

NoChesterHester

When it comes to fanboys though StarWars is as devoted as any out there. The hardcore fans will be very critical if there are any details in the land that don't follow canon. Not many would know if the Pandora details actually fit with the movies, plus the movies were all CGI so it's less possible to make a physical set identical to what you saw on the screen.

IMHO it was a very smart move by WDI to make SWLand an unknown planet in the SW Universe. It gives them the freedom to build a land that works best for a theme park instead of being forced into building an exact replica of a movie set. For example, if they built the Mos Eisley Cantina and it didn't look exactly like the movie fanboys would riot, but it may not be practical to make the Cantina the size and shape of the movie. With the Potter lands Universal was held to the look of the movies and while they did a great job with the look some of the areas are not laid out in the most practical manner for crowd flow which they may have wanted for a theme park attraction.

Spot on. The only place on the interwebs I've been that is more scrutinizing than a Disney message board is the Star Wars message boards. The vile angst is prevalent on every post. They have to knock it out of the park with this addition or it will be soundly rejected with this level of build up.

I think they will.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Spot on. The only place on the interwebs I've been that is more scrutinizing than a Disney message board is the Star Wars message boards. The vile angst is prevalent on every post. They have to knock it out of the park with this addition or it will be soundly rejected with this level of build up.

I think they will.
If they do it right even the SW fanboys who hate that Disney bought Lucasfilms will end up drooling over the finished product. It's going to be a tough pill for some to swallow.

HMF

I think they will.
Star Wars "Fans" really are the most un-reasonable group of people in the world and I say that as a Star Wars Fan.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If they do it right even the SW fanboys who hate that Disney bought Lucasfilms will end up drooling over the finished product. It's going to be a tough pill for some to swallow.

Its the IF Disney does it right part which is the question. Im betting lots of rockwork light on details and atmospherics. Just like every Disney project since carsland

BrianLo

Its the IF Disney does it right part which is the question. Im betting lots of rockwork light on details and atmospherics. Just like every Disney project since carsland

You're gonna be on the losing end of this prediction. Pandora is much more Mysterious island. Star Wars is going to be much more Diagon Alley. At least the Eastern (or Northern for DHS) halves.

The former is atmospheric, natural beauty. The latter two are all about the activity, things to do, see, try... and buy.

Carsland sort of falls in between those two categories I'd say.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This comment doesn't even make sense. What recent projects have been light on details? If anything the knock on most recent Disney projects is a lack of substantial (e-ticket) rides. There is no question that WDI can still build a land filled with intricate details. With FLE and Pandora at WDW we have some of the most detailed and elaborate queues with extreme attention to detail. The big complaint has been the rides failing to live up to the quality of the rest of the land (with the exception of FoP).

NearTheEars

This comment doesn't even make sense. What recent projects have been light on details? If anything the knock on most recent Disney projects is a lack of substantial (e-ticket) rides. There is no question that WDI can still build a land filled with intricate details. With FLE and Pandora at WDW we have some of the most detailed and elaborate queues with extreme attention to detail. The big complaint has been the rides failing to live up to the quality of the rest of the land (with the exception of FoP).

On this specific point, I do see where old Exploder is coming from. FLE and Pandora both have a ton of rock work, as have several recent Disney theme park projects. They are clearly experts at rock work and natural settings. And while I find them both to be beautiful, it would be nice to see an expansion that's a different style. Like the highly-detailed Potter lands at UNI. (No I don't want to starts a UNI v. WDW debate, just an example of a different style)

Obviously it seems most new attractions will be IP based, so there hands are a little tied when it comes to the setting of an attraction or land.

HMF

Definitely agree quality is a mind set, if they pass over easily added details now why would u expect it later. I think SWL is going to be border line great but will be missing those tiny details that will make it great
I really don't agree. If anything it sounds to me they are going to make it so realistic that even I would think they are over-doing it. If Iger is really paying a sum to Coca-Cola to keep real-world branding out of SWL. I would say they are pretty darn serious. I just wish they cared this much about the details in the rest of the parks.

the.dreamfinder

Weekend Review #4

Stock Buybacks
ESPN may be what occupies most of Wall Street's time when they think about DIS, but the agressive stock buybacks under Bob Iger could, and very likely will, sink the company. @ParentsOf4 has highlighted this issue many times before here, but I recently read an interview in Forbes with economist William Laslow on the long term damage stock buybacks can have on companies like Disney and on the economy as a whole. As fans and, for some here, shareholders, the share buyback issue needs to be adressed because divisions like P&R and Media Networks need the money to invest in their futures.
https://hbr.org/2014/09/profits-without-prosperity
https://www.forbes.com/sites/aalsin...-mania-thats-threatening-the-american-economy

Essential Reading: The Western River Expedition-Passport to Dreams Old & New
latest

Full stop, no one writes more deep, insightful historical and critical essays on Disney theme parks than Foxxy. Her writings are a tool with which we can better understand what made/makes the parks great. Unfortunately, she's written so many great essays that it is difficult to pick out just one!@tirian brought up the Western River Expedition, Marc Davis' legendary unbuilt Mega E boat ride proposed for the Magic Kingdom in the 1970's, as a possible high capacity expansion of that park for the 50th anniversary in 2021. A couple of years ago, Foxxy wrote a three part piece reconstructing the attraction and explained how it would fit into the larger Thunder Mesa subland that would have been built where Splash and Big Thunder now sit. It's a long piece, but it's well worth your time.
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-about-western-river-expedition-part.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-about-western-river-expedition-part_29.html

"We Know The Way"- Moana's Legacy

Through a grant from the Disney Conservation Fund and Conservation International, the Somoan Voyaging Society is traveling across the South Pacific islands with a workshop for elementary school aged children about their wayfinding heritage and understanding and protecting the ecology of the South Pacific Ocean. Naturally, the kids also got to watch "Moana". Its theatrical release has come and gone, but that was just the beginning of the relationship viewers around the world will have with this film, especially for the young people who will grow up proud of their where they came from and who they are.
http://blog.conservation.org/2017/0...moana-resonates-with-message-of-conservation/

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other news those who say ESPN is just ducky
On this specific point, I do see where old Exploder is coming from. FLE and Pandora both have a ton of rock work, as have several recent Disney theme park projects. They are clearly experts at rock work and natural settings. And while I find them both to be beautiful, it would be nice to see an expansion that's a different style. Like the highly-detailed Potter lands at UNI. (No I don't want to starts a UNI v. WDW debate, just an example of a different style)

Obviously it seems most new attractions will be IP based, so there hands are a little tied when it comes to the setting of an attraction or land.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Yes Disney indeed does beautiful rockwork but rockwork alone does not create an immersive environment.

The other elements are required and they have not been seen since Carsland

Just look at the old SoA. All the small details from the shopfront windows to the bicycles and basketball hoops and tire swings.

You felt like you were on a city street in the 40's - early 60's period

That kind of placemaking has not been seen at Disney since carsland, The Harambe expansion different story as that was expanding a place while keeping existing theming. Very well done but it was not a NEW place.

As to the expensive mall known as Disney Springs only Disney would build a huge mall when malls are dying all over the us.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Weekend Review #4

Stock Buybacks
ESPN may be what occupies most of Wall Street's when they think about DIS, but the agressive stock buybacks under Bob Iger could, and very likely will, sink the company. @ParentsOf4 has highlighted this issue many times before here, but I recently read an interview in Forbes with economist William Laslow on the long term damage stock buybacks can have on companies like Disney and on the economy as a whole. As fans and, for some here, shareholders, the share buyback issue needs to be adressed because divisions like P&R need the money to invest in their futures.
https://hbr.org/2014/09/profits-without-prosperity
https://www.forbes.com/sites/aalsin...-mania-thats-threatening-the-american-economy

Essential Reading: The Western River Expedition-Passport to Dreams Old & New
latest

Full stop, no one writes more deep, insightful historical and critical essays on Disney theme parks than Foxxy. Her writings are an tool with which we can better understand what made/makes the parks great. Unfortunately, she's written so many great essays that it is difficult to pick out just one. @tirian brought up the Western River Expedition, Marc Davis' legendary unbuilt Mega E boat ride proposed for the Magic Kingdom in the 1970's, as a possible high capacity expansion of that park for the 50th anniversary in 2021. A couple of years ago, Foxxy wrote a three part piece reconstructing the attraction and explained how it would fit into the larger Thunder Mesa subland that would have been built where Splash and Big Thunder now sit. It's a long piece, but it's well worth your time.
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-about-western-river-expedition-part.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-about-western-river-expedition-part_29.html

"We Know The Way"- Moana's Legacy

Through a grant from the Disney Conservation Fund and Conservation International, the Somoan Voyaging Society is traveling across the South Pacific islands with a workshop for elementary school aged children about their wayfinding heritage and understanding and protecting the ecology of the South Pacific Ocean. Naturally, the kids also got to watch "Moana". Its theatrical release has come and gone, but that was just the beginning of the relationship viewers around the world will have with this film, especially for the young people who will grow up proud of their where they came from and who they are.
http://blog.conservation.org/2017/0...moana-resonates-with-message-of-conservation/

Good stuff.

The problem can really only be solved through regulation. Even if a CEO like Iger tried to buck this trend (which he wouldn't since he's directly profiting from it) he'd likely be replaced pretty quickly anyway. Wall Street is just as addicted to the stock buy backs as executives. IMHO I don't think we have the leaders in Congress (from either party) with enough stones to actually enact legislation to change things and prevent this behavior. I'm usually not a fan of unnecessary, restrictive or overly complicated regulations enacted by the government (like Dodd Frank) but in this case it's the only way I see this practice slowing down.

Bairstow

In other news those who say ESPN is just ducky

^^^ THIS ^^^

Yes Disney indeed does beautiful rockwork but rockwork alone does not create an immersive environment.

The other elements are required and they have not been seen since Carsland

Just look at the old SoA. All the small details from the shopfront windows to the bicycles and basketball hoops and tire swings.

You felt like you were on a city street in the 40's - early 60's period

That kind of placemaking has not been seen at Disney since carsland, The Harambe expansion different story as that was expanding a place while keeping existing theming. Very well done but it was not a NEW place.

As to the expensive mall known as Disney Springs only Disney would build a huge mall when malls are dying all over the us.

But there was nothing to do in Streets of America but take pictures of each other. ESPN held a paintball game there once, but other than that what was a guest supposed to do there?

What elements did the Streets of America have that the New Fantasyland areas or Pandora lack?

As to Disney Springs, I would hazard to say that no, Disney is not the single only company developing an upscale dining/shopping district in the United States right now. Are you suggesting that the wider trends of retail contraction in the country are going to cause it to fail? If so, when? Because last time I checked the place was mobbed most nights of the week. Is Universal similarly foolish for continuing to develop Citywalk?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom