A Spirited Valentine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't see Disney buying Nintendo but if they did, yes they would not renew it and they would make Universal tear it out. Won't happen because if Disney were really smart they would buy Sony Pictures.

If Disney bought Nintendo it would be shut down in 2 years or less just like all the other gaming companies they have purchased over the years.

Gaming requires two things the freedom to create and the ability to accept that some games dont connect with gamers irrespective of quality

From a company that just spent its last earnings call crowing about how they 'de-risked' moviemaking. (Universe now teeing up series of disney megaflops as punishment for the hubris shown)

Its a company that can not accept the free exercise of creativity by putatively creative departments or the possibility of failure

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other business news why stock buybacks are not necessarily a good thing

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/stocks/10/share-buybacks.asp

Considering while Disney continues to cut at WDW TWDC is on track to blow 10 Billion on Stock Buybacks or approximately the price of SDL

Personally id rather see a special dividend and get the cash directly to investors. But that would not inflate EPS and Share Price so the Bob's can reach their 'bonus targets'

seascape

@ParentsOf4 , if Bob were to end the stock buybacks, how could he do it without hurting the share price?
There are 2 things they could do, increase the dividend or to actually increase the price of the stock invest in things that will make more money. In other words build not at WDW and buy an under valued company that would complement what they already own.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
@ParentsOf4 , if Bob were to end the stock buybacks, how could he do it without hurting the share price?

Iger cannot stop the buyback program thats why his huge share buyback program is an albatross around disney's neck.

If the share buybacks stopped DIS shares would immediately drop to somewhere in the 65-80 dollar range i.e. on par with other media companies.

There would be a blaze of shareholder lawsuits when the share price dropped For the numerically inclined i'd suggest calculating TWDC's M-score (during Eisner and Igers years separately) and draw your own conclusions.

Where does this lead well a hell of a mess for the next executive team who may have to rely on a strategic bankruptcy or sale to reorganize Disneys finances.

We may well see Disney become a Chinese company as that would move their legal nexus to Beijing

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There are 2 things they could do, increase the dividend or to actually increase the price of the stock invest in things that will make more money. In other words build not at WDW and buy an under valued company that would complement what they already own.

Whats interesting is how Disney P&R at one time had margins of 20-30% and that was back in the 'quality' days and now P&R can only make that kind of margin by cutting to the bone.

Of couse back then the park was managed as an integrated whole rather than a group of warring fiefdoms all with their duplicative management chains.

I think a forensic accountant would probably find the most expensive item at WDW is MANAGEMENT i.e. too much of it over at Celebration place adding no value.

Mike S

Yeah, unfortunately the time has passed on it.
"Unfortunately?" I'd say it's fortunate. If Disney got Nintendo they either would've shoved it in the Japan pavilion or made something much greater in Tokyo and cheaper in WDW.
If Disney bought Nintendo it would be shut down in 2 years or less just like all the other gaming companies they have purchased over the years.

Gaming requires two things the freedom to create and the ability to accept that some games dont connect with gamers irrespective of quality

From a company that just spent its last earnings call crowing about how they 'de-risked' moviemaking. (Universe now teeing up series of disney megaflops as punishment for the hubris shown)

Its a company that can not accept the free exercise of creativity by putatively creative departments or the possibility of failure
That too.

Mike S

Btw Pirates 5 was a mess. I even saw it in IMAX. It started to lose me at the chase sequence in the beginning.
Oh, and don't ask me how they're going to explain this away but the after credits scene suggests Davy Jones is back.

Princess Leia

Btw Pirates 5 was a mess. I even saw it in IMAX. It started to lose me at the chase sequence in the beginning.
Oh, and don't ask me how they're going to explain this away but the after credits scene suggests Davy Jones is back.
At the beginning???? :(

I'm seeing it tonight with a friend, going in with what are probably the lowest expectations I have had for a movie.

Kman101

I thought it had been said Pirates 5 sort of went back to the playbook of the first movie in terms of actually being a decent movie? Guess not? I probably won't pay to see it in theaters. I'd pick Baywatch over it and I'm not even all that excited for Baywatch.

Princess Leia

I thought it had been said Pirates 5 sort of went back to the playbook of the first movie in terms of actually being a decent movie? Guess not? I probably won't pay to see it in theaters. I'd pick Baywatch over it and I'm not even all that excited for Baywatch.
That's what it looked like via trailers and what Disney was saying, but it isn't doing too hot critically (30% on Rotten Tomatoes, but 81% for the audience score).
Baywatch is also tanking on RT (19% critically, 65% of audiences liked it).

@Mike S , your brief review worries me. If you want to discuss it more, there's a thread in the Disney movie forum that we've been using, and I think we'd all appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom