A Spirited Valentine ...

flyerjab

Yes that strategy is quite familiar to fans of WDW...

The difference is that ESPN if it follows current trendlines will indeed be out of business by 2019 or so, The question is does it take TWDC down with it.

Well, I can't speak to ESPN as the new horizon and direction of viewing entertainment at home is changing significantly, but as far as TWDC is concerned...

download.jpg

It won't take down the House of Mouse. And anyway, it wouldn't surprise me at some point if TWDC purchases an online streaming service since that is the current direction of things in that regard.

Goob

Disney should be more like universal in that it does not take almost a decade to get a new attraction online.

In the time it took UNI to demo Twister and replace it with Fallon Disney has been unable to complete a bloody gazebo at AK.

Couldn't agree more. Why do they act like every "attraction" they build is the most prized thing ever? They approach everything like they will never gonna build anything ever again and take their sweet time. Very frustrating and ridiculous.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, I can't speak to ESPN as the new horizon and direction of viewing entertainment at home is changing significantly, but as far as TWDC is concerned...

View attachment 201630

It won't take down the House of Mouse. And anyway, it wouldn't surprise me at some point if TWDC purchases an online streaming service since that is the current direction of things in that regard.

Since when has Disney been able to execute on ANY tech based platform they bought a 1/3 share of of the MLBam streaming service LAST YEAR and they STILL have not streamed as much as a commercial yet. FS1 will be on the third iteration of their platform before DIS issues its first presser

DIS does not GET Technology on any level. Nor does it understand that tech runs in dog years. They cannot lawyer out a contract to have some offshore body shop build them a platform as the requirements will be obsolete before it gets through legal.

FigmentJedi

Who knows but statistically it will happen, All thats needed is one or two 'Heavens Gate' scale tentpole flops and now that Iger says Disney has de-risked moviemaking failure is inevitable because the universe tends to punish hubris quite severely
I really hope said megaflops are high profile cartoon remakes. Especially Photo-Realistic Lion King.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I didn't see it specifically mentioned, but ESPN laid off about 100 of its 1000 on-air personalities this week.

ESPN has much, much bigger problems, though, namely: Declining viewership and declining ad revenue while having just paid huge $$$$$$$$ for NFL and NBA broadcasting rights. As a shareholder, I think what they paid for the NBA broadcast rights is utterly asinine, but that's just me. Maybe if they gave more than 12 seconds to hockey they'd have more viewers? [Or maybe they just don't want to highlight the fact that hockey players can and will play an entire playoff series with torn knee ligaments, broken bones, and other surgery-required maladies while NBA players can and do take multiple games off because their toe hurts? :D ]

As much of a fan as I was of ESPN back in its heyday, their insistence on clinging to an outdated broadcasting model as their main source of revenue is ludicrous, at best. Who needs Sportscenter when any and all scores and highlights are available far sooner online or on your mobile device?

Mike S

Disney should be more like universal in that it does not take almost a decade to get a new attraction online.

In the time it took UNI to demo Twister and replace it with Fallon Disney has been unable to complete a bloody gazebo at AK.
Universal had an equivalent project with that Coke kiosk between MIB and Simpsons.

Damn near took forever.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Has it been confirmed it's only on-air personalities? Just curious.

Apparently not quite. A Washington Post article that I just read said it was 100 "on-air and online personalities", so I stand corrected. It does not sound like any behind-the-scenes people were laid off during this latest round of cuts.

Edit: Here's the WP article, which also has quite a lengthy list of those laid off - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-layoffs-with-100-people-reportedly-affected The article also mentions what I've said before - ESPN is being hit by a double-whammy of declining viewership (loss of 12 million over the past 5 years) and huge rights fees. Personally, I don't think the future is bright at the network that once ruled sports.

Last edited:

jakeman

Apparently not quite. A Washington Post article that I just read said it was 100 "on-air and online personalities", so I stand corrected. It does not sound like any behind-the-scenes people were laid off during this latest round of cuts.
I just hope we eventually have at least one poster provide us with a complete breakdown of it's impact over multiple post emphasizing the same points over and over again.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Yup cut the people who the viewers/readers/listeners visit your property for. Yep that will drive ad revenue... ESPN has forgotten that ad dollars follow the ears and eyeballs in broadcast media.

jakeman

I just hope we eventually have at least one poster provide us with a complete breakdown of it's impact over multiple post emphasizing the same points over and over again.
Yup cut the people who the viewers/readers/listeners visit your property for. Yep that will drive ad revenue... ESPN has forgotten that ad dollars follow the ears and eyeballs in broadcast media.
PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

Rteetz

Edit: Here's the WP article, which also has quite a lengthy list of those laid off - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-layoffs-with-100-people-reportedly-affected The article also mentions what I've said before - ESPN is being hit by a double-whammy of declining viewership (loss of 12 million over the past 5 years) and huge rights fees. Personally, I don't think the future is bright at the network that once ruled sports.
Its various people. Andy Katz, college basketball on air reporter and writer, Ed Werder, NFL reporter, and even the beat writer for my Wisconsin Badgers football team were all laid off. Baseball and Hockey reporters took some big hits too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom