A Spirited Perfect Ten

Goofyernmost

Serious question...

Have you been to the toy or electronics departments at Wal Mart, Target or in a GameStop recently?

I am willing to bet there is more Nintendo toys and games than Marvel or Star Wars.
We can't "Spirit" once told us that we were all hillbilly rubes if we stepped into a place like Wal Mart or Target (I don't remember if he ever mentioned GameStop). So, consequentially, we no longer can go to any of those places, because, it would be so, so crude and toothless!

twebber55

Why are you so butt hurt? lol Do you have any idea what kind of reach Nintendo has? Just because you do not like it personally doesn't mean it is a bad move. Would you say the same thing if Disney made that announcement instead of Universal? The only ones that win in these events are people who like theme parks and attractions. Did you get fired from Universal? lol Wow.
had to point this out for some of you guys who complain about certain IPs
this is a great point

choco choco

Also, it appears the new WoC show has some major issues (that hopefully will be addressed after tonight's preview). It seems as though the show -- though a Steve Davison joint -- was largely dictated by marketing and is not what it needs to be.

You mean making people watch a show that gets them all nostalgic and inspires them to want to go to Disneyland when they have just paid and are already in Disneyland doesn't make any sense?

Last edited:

Funmeister

Sure have. And I see Marvel (esp. Spider-Man), Batman, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Barbie, Disney Princess, Lego, Toy Story, Hello Kitty, Cars, Angry Birds, and on and on. The only heavy Nintendo presence I see is those Amiibo figures.

Then you are blind...sorry. Maybe you tune it out because you do not like it but next time you are there make an effort. I think you will be surprised.

So you never saw anything that resembled a Wii U or a 3DS? Go look at all of the kids clothes. Sure there are other characters that you mentioned but Nintendo has quite a bit. Go look by the turtles stuff. Nintendo has its own line of toys and plush in addition to Amiibo figures.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Serious question...

Have you been to the toy or electronics departments at Wal Mart, Target or in a GameStop recently?

I am willing to bet there is more Nintendo toys and games than Marvel or Star Wars.

And the kids on my robotics team play smash bros during breaks so I'd say there is a lot of mindshare in the teen and young adult bracket

CaptainAmerica

Then you are blind...sorry. Maybe you tune it out because you do not like it but next time you are there make an effort. I think you will be surprised.
Honestly I have no problem with it. Correct, it's not my cup of tea, but if it's popular (and it seems to be based on everyone jumping on my back about it), then more power to them. My problem is more with the hypocrisy of posters in this forum than with anything Universal or Disney are doing. It's different standards. I posted this in the Nintendo-specific thread, but we see people bashing Avatar, Frozen, or even Star Wars with arguments like "Disney should focus on original ideas instead of rushing to capitalize on the latest IP." But when Universal does Potter, Kong, Transformers, or Nintendo, it's "HOORAY FOR UNIVERSAL! Look at their awesome ability to capitalize on popular IP!"

twebber55

I suspect this Nintendoland will only have a handful of those characters you mentioned. Better to do a couple right as opposed to a hodgepodge. I'm guessing we get Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong and maybe Zelda. If UNI creative knocks this out of the park, it would be a pretty big black eye for Disney when it comes to who executes better.
I would think Mario will be the main character, although im 42 so I m long out of the video game stage of my life... my family did get into Mario Cart which obviously would transition well to a theme park setting

this purchase is no big deal to me but I see where it will do well

Funmeister

Honestly I have no problem with it. Correct, it's not my cup of tea, but if it's popular (and it seems to be based on everyone jumping on my back about it), then more power to them. My problem is more with the hypocrisy of posters in this forum than with anything Universal or Disney are doing. It's different standards. I posted this in the Nintendo-specific thread, but we see people bashing Avatar, Frozen, or even Star Wars with arguments like "Disney should focus on original ideas instead of rushing to capitalize on the latest IP." But when Universal does Potter, Kong, Transformers, or Nintendo, it's "HOORAY FOR UNIVERSAL! Look at their awesome ability to capitalize on popular IP!"

With all due respect...you kind of invited everyone to "jump on your back." You made an uneducated statement basically saying Nintendo has no following and is not cool. If you would take a few minutes and do a little research you would find that you were completely wrong with that assumption. It is ok that you do not like it. No one is questioning that. But you attacked people saying you did not understand why they were making such a big deal about it. In my opinion it seems you have something personal agaisnt Universal for whatever reason.

I still think your answer would be totally different if Disney made the announcement rather than Universal...and you know what? That is ok. Enjoy what you like but dont critisize others for what they like especially when you base it on your personal feelings and play it off as if Nintendo has no traction. I hope your day gets better.lol

Nintendo is a great fit for Universal, especially since Nintendo can be executed with nothing but screens. ;) Not even trying to be sarcastic there, it's an easy fit for them and the merchandising alone could be akin to Harry Potter. Rip out that horrid kids land and replace it with Mario and Link and they'll be golden. Maybe they could re-theme Shrek into Zelda. The existying theming is close enough to Hyrule to pull it off. Nomatter what they do though, this will be a far better fit for the family segment than Kong!

Speaking of which, still wondering how any parent would take a 3-5 year old - 34 inches, on a loud, dark, intense ride where dinosaurs, spiders and Kong himself are trying to kill you in a rather vicious way- lots of kids come off of Indy at Disneyland or Dinosaur at AK are mortified and that's a full 12 inches taller height requirement. I know I would have been petrified if my parents took me on something like that at 4 years old. :hungover:

Quinnmac000

Disney has a huge arsenal of family friendly IPs while Universal truly if you look at all the IPs they actually own have one which is the Minions. Most of the original IPs in their parks are based off PG-13 movies which some parents wont let their young children watch.

But you are also wrong only two of those are not owned by Universal. (Harry and Nintendo) UNI owns international rights to Transformers, Paramount just owns US distribution so it can be argued its a co-owned IP. And Universal does own the original film rights to Kong along with the Peter Jackson Version.

bhg469

I forget whom i was talking to on here but they were suggestion that Glendale is expecting a 20% bump in attendance for Epcot with Frozen.... I'm not sure what reality they're living in. You'd have to Boost more than 2M people over a year to do that. (2.25M to be precise using last years estimated numbers or an additional 6167 people per day. 13.48M for the year is a 20% increase, or 36,931/day)
It will definitely add turnstile clicks but I can't see it bringing in people that wouldn't already be going To mk. They will just be spreading out some crowds, mainly the lil princesses.

CaptainAmerica

I still think your answer would be totally different if Disney made the announcement rather than Universal.
Nope. I'd actually dislike "Nintendo to Disney" much more than Nintendo to Universal. At least at Universal I get the strategy behind it. Family friendly "all ages" attractions are their weak point and this strengthens it. That's Disney's strong point so this move would be completely unnecessary.

Atomicmickey

Huge win, and I would count this as the second "one that got away" from Disney,
after Potter. The Nintendo characters have been loved by my kids for many years
all the way into adulthood, and they have cross-generational appeal if handled
properly. I always thought of Mario as "Nintendo's Mickey", because he is likeable,
capable, and sort of a blank slate that people can see themselves as. An everyman.

Pikachu and Pokemon seem to be going on. I mean, my oldest is a Junior in college
and his sports teams chant the Pokemon songs, and use them as drinking games. I suspect
they'll be remembering the IP for years to come, as well. It's been a huge part
of their childhood, and the newer games still have appeal.

Then there's the depth of things like Zelda, the goofiness of Donkey Kong, etc.

Kids will WANT to meet these characters in person.

Heck, I can see a family Mario Kart challenge ride knocking the stuffing out of something
like Toy Story. I want to ride that, now!

If done correctly, this stable of characters really could give Disney a run for their money. My opinion.

And, I always figured Disney would bring them into the fold. They blew it.

Unless they let Universal build all the attractions and then buy Nintendo. Seems to be working
for them now. :p

DDLand

I'm going to say right off the bat kids have been moving away from Nintendo. iOS and Android on mobile, and Xbox and Play Station on console have slammed them hard. This is all happening as PC gaming is coming into greater use then ever before. Quite frankly, Universal would've been better off making a deal with Microsoft to get Mojang. Minecraft is the landmark video game for kids of today.

It also just happens to be available on every console and mobile device expect Nintendo. (Okay, and BB10)

Atomicmickey

Is there any indication that Disney wanted this? I know they "missed out" on Potter, but was Nintendo ever in their cross-hairs?

I didn't mean to imply that. I just always thought the two were a natural fit. If I was Iger, I'd have
at least looked long and hard at it. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

Point is, IP that strong, opening up down the road, makes it a 'one that got away', I think.

Again, just my thoughts.

On the bright side, Disney Springs is getting another store, and Triceratops Spin is getting a fresh coat of paint. Book your trip now!

Funmeister

Nope. I'd actually dislike "Nintendo to Disney" much more than Nintendo to Universal. At least at Universal I get the strategy behind it. Family friendly "all ages" attractions are their weak point and this strengthens it. That's Disney's strong point so this move would be completely unnecessary.

So since you "get the strategy behind it" then you agree that Nintendo is still relevant?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom