A Spirited Perfect Ten

Shaman

Nintendo in the parks!!! :D

And here I was thinking they were going to add another OASIS vessel before another QUANTUM class.

Harmony of the Seas for 2016 is an Oasis Class ship.

I suspect Disney is more focused on making sure their parks in China succeed (and their brand) before worrying about sending new DCL ships to China/Asia. The Brand after all is what brings people to cruise with Disney.

Companies like Carnival and Royal Caribbean have lots of brands and ships; no shortage of vessels to move into the area. Disney isn't a major player, they serve a niche market. One willing to pay extra for a perceived special experience and the Disney customer attention.

Mike S

More Major Uni news (Just mentioning it here, there are already other threads about it):

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150507005307/en/Nintendo-Partners-Universal-Parks-Resorts-Create-World’s#.VUtVQJNu6wk

"Nintendo Partners with Universal Parks & Resorts to Create World’s First-Ever Theme Park Attractions Based on Nintendo’s Beloved Games and Characters"
I screamed when I saw it and I'm shaking. IM SO EXCITED AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Could Universal have just revealed what their third park will be? GOD I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!! :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, it was in the original plans for the land (well, not the real original 1999 plans but the ones for the project that was built). It was cut in favor of many meet-and-greet-and-gropes. When Staggs took over P&R, he simply swapped the train back in. It really was no biggee (and the ride was shorter and with fewer show scenes as @Lee or @marni1971 can attest).

Since the project formerly went ahead and they broke ground, the plan was always two real attractions. ... And to answer your question, I'd say ''more substantial'' which again gives me pause.
Wow, OK. Now I'm at least cautiously optimistic. Probably just setting myself up for disappointment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I forget whom i was talking to on here but they were suggestion that Glendale is expecting a 20% bump in attendance for Epcot with Frozen.... I'm not sure what reality they're living in. You'd have to Boost more than 2M people over a year to do that. (2.25M to be precise using last years estimated numbers or an additional 6167 people per day. 13.48M for the year is a 20% increase, or 36,931/day)
Maybe someone should tell them Maelstrom only had a ride capacity of about 900 people per hour. Even if the ride is open at 9am as rumored instead of 11am that's a daily capacity of 10,800 riders. That should make for a bunch of happy visitors when less than 1/3 of the park visitors in a day can even get on the ride. The "new" guests who are coming just for Frozen would make up about 60% of the daily ride capacity. That's not a problem :confused:

CaptainAmerica

I can't wait for the theme police to tell us how perfect a fit it will be to have Super Mario alongside The Boy Who Lived and King Kong while in the same breath decrying the abomination of Frozen in Norway. Honestly, I've seen people here say that Frozen, Star Wars, and Marvel would be inappropriate "fits" in a Disney park. But Nintendo is met with nerdgasms. Seriously? Who's excited about this besides 12 year old boys and those who have been in a state of arrested development since 1999?

CaptainAmerica

Maybe someone should tell them Maelstrom only had a ride capacity of about 900 people per hour. Even if the ride is open at 9am as rumored instead of 11am that's a daily capacity of 10,800 riders. That should make for a bunch of happy visitors when less than 1/3 of the park visitors in a day can even get on the ride. The "new" guests who are coming just for Frozen would make up about 60% of the daily ride capacity. That's not a problem :confused:
Don't forget the meet and greet.

Funmeister

I can't wait for the theme police to tell us how perfect a fit it will be to have Super Mario alongside The Boy Who Lived and King Kong while in the same breath decrying the abomination of Frozen in Norway. Honestly, I've seen people here say that Frozen, Star Wars, and Marvel would be inappropriate "fits" in a Disney park. But Nintendo is met with nerdgasms. Seriously? Who's excited about this besides 12 year old boys and those who have been in a state of arrested development since 1999?

Why are you so butt hurt? lol Do you have any idea what kind of reach Nintendo has? Just because you do not like it personally doesn't mean it is a bad move. Would you say the same thing if Disney made that announcement instead of Universal? The only ones that win in these events are people who like theme parks and attractions. Did you get fired from Universal? lol Wow.

Mike C

I'm not belittling interest in video games. I played a fair bit of Smash (always Pikachu) in my day. I'm questioning the specific relevance of the Nintendo brand in today's landscape.

Cross Gender, Cross Generational (Current Parents have grown up with it, and so have their kids) and fills a big hole that Uni currently has for families. This is right up there with Potter announcement wise.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
THIS.

I could easily be considered a pixie duster, and in the past was always on the the side of the BRAND. We visit Orlando just about every year (my mom lives in FL and we have a timeshare...) We always visit WDW, at least 3 parks, normally 4 days a trip. Guess what, we are going back in JAN 16 (we were there in Nov 2014) and we are not stepping foot on WDW property. Going to Uni for 2 days and that is it. We have BURN OUT! and I love WDW, i am the guy telling all my friends, that walking down mainstreet makes me feel young, reminds me of my dad who is now past... But after years of basically the same stuff, even me - the certified Disney champion, is just MEH with it.
Disney is creating a lot of people like you these days, That's not a good thing for any company to have its most enthusiastic fans become bored with their product.

CaptainAmerica

Why are you so butt hurt? lol Do you have any idea what kind of reach Nintendo has? Just because you do not like it personally doesn't mean it is a bad move. Would you say the same thing if Disney made that announcement instead of Universal? The only ones that win in these events are people who like theme parks and attractions. Did you get fired from Universal? lol Wow.
I'm not butthurt. I honestly don't "get" Nintendo and this crazy reaction to it. I'm not a huge Potter fan but that hype makes sense to me. I can look around pop culture and see "yeah, Potter is going to do gangbusters for Universal." Similarly, I'm not the biggest Star Wars guy but I see the value of the brand because I have eyeballs. My point about Nintendo specifically is that I don't see anywhere near the cultural awareness about that brand as I do with Potter, Star Wars, or Marvel.

Huge win in Japan though, that's for sure.

maxairmike

Ummm...yeah, no, especially to the bolded. Not even similar, not even in the same universe. Which of them is being/was shoved into an area designed to represent a culture (and pretty much overtaking any of the cultural representation left) when it actually has very little to do with representing that culture? Oh right, the Disney example. The Universal examples are living in fantasy lands of their own, not masquerading as cultural representations.

Funmeister

I'm not butthurt. I honestly don't "get" Nintendo and this crazy reaction to it. I'm not a huge Potter fan but that hype makes sense to me. I can look around pop culture and see "yeah, Potter is going to do gangbusters for Universal." Similarly, I'm not the biggest Star Wars guy but I see the value of the brand because I have eyeballs. My point about Nintendo specifically is that I don't see anywhere near the cultural awareness about that brand as I do with Potter, Star Wars, or Marvel.

Huge win in Japan though, that's for sure.

Serious question...

Have you been to the toy or electronics departments at Wal Mart, Target or in a GameStop recently?

I am willing to bet there is more Nintendo toys and games than Marvel or Star Wars.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Don't forget the meet and greet.
Sure that will take up some people's time, but anyone waiting 3 hours to meet Elsa and Anna is still gonna want to ride the ride too. I just find the whole thing very short sighted. They are spending time and money adding capacity to Soarin and TSMM because they are popular but have long lines. Then they go and add what will most likely be a wildly popular ride with the same capacity issues.

CaptainAmerica

Have you been to the toy or electronics departments at Wal Mart, Target or in a GameStop recently?
Sure have. And I see Marvel (esp. Spider-Man), Batman, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Barbie, Disney Princess, Lego, Toy Story, Hello Kitty, Cars, Angry Birds, and on and on. The only heavy Nintendo presence I see is those Amiibo figures.

the.dreamfinder

There's applications for Nintendo stuff all over their trouble areas. Kidzone, Toon Lagoon, even what's left of Lost Continent. Think about it, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, all that IP that can be put to work
I suspect this Nintendoland will only have a handful of those characters you mentioned. Better to do a couple right as opposed to a hodgepodge. I'm guessing we get Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong and maybe Zelda. If UNI creative knocks this out of the park, it would be a pretty big black eye for Disney when it comes to who executes better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom