A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't help but feel like Willow Bay has joined the cast of MAGICal mods here as, apparently, what's new this summer (or not new) is somehow not deemed newsworthy.

OK, that's not true. I've talked to MAGICal Steve AKA @wdwmagic and he assures that it is very much a fair topic, but, apparently, there was some sort of ugliness and ''mudslinging'' on that thread and it disappeared. He hasn't said whether Marcia is working frantically to cleanse the cached version while baking some mean pies.:D

I always miss the fun, so feel free to drop me a note if you have any details on what went down and the parties responsible.

But I'll place the same point/question here (and invite those who have issues with the topic to look inward at themselves and what's really bothering them):

Here we are at the dawn of summer (weather has been summer-like pretty much since March in much of FL) and that is the time of year when park operators nationwide (from mom and pops to regional players to the Big Boys) show off new attractions and entertainment to entice Americans to visit over their vacations.

Here are some facts:

WDW is the No. 1 theme park destination.

WDW has four theme parks and two water parks.

TWDC, parent company to WDW Co, has had one quarter of record profits after another, year after year now.

OK, now a question (one that seems to get under the skin of so many of my fans, who worry daily about my BRAND when they should be worrying about Disney's):

What is new at WDW for the summer of 2015? ***And let's stick to theme parks, no one plans trips around new timeshares or remodeling of a lifestyle center/mall.

And, if anyone decides to go crazy on the topic, please report it immediately to the mods. They don't have an easy job and really don't need people causing trouble just for the helluva it.

Let's try this again.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a note on another subject, but thanks to a kind individual I now know what the original opening date for SDL was supposed to be. Not an exact one, but the resort was supposed to debut the first week of November (it will almost assuredly debut on May 8, 2016).

That fits in with Bob Iger being a featured speaker at https://globalconference2015.usc.edu/

No need to point out that Iger and USC are wed thru his dear second wife -- Willow Bay Iger.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know where but on one thread someone was pointing out Splash Mountain looking great now and all I could think was ''they didn't ride the attraction I did last week'' because after looking great for a while, it's almost back to its ghetto state.

AA's are missing. Audio and lighting is off. AAs talk, but there is no sound or vice versa. The sternwheeler with the characters at the end was never fixed up right during the major rehab and looks to be rotting. And the ride vehicles are filthy again with mold growing (because you know Disney could never afford to clean them nightly).

I think people often see what they want to see and not what's there ... Pixie Dust is strong.

Disneyhead'71

As an attraction, I think Manta is the perfect example of impressionistic themeing. That is something that Disney doesn't do all that much. Space Mountain is about the only Disney attraction that I can think of off the top of my head. Universal used it on Hulk and Dueling Dragons to a slightly lesser degree of success.

Oh, and Disney fans will tell you the concept of impressionistic themeing either doesn't exist or sucks.

Funmeister

I can't help but feel like Willow Bay has joined the cast of MAGICal mods here as, apparently, what's new this summer (or not new) is somehow not deemed newsworthy.

OK, that's not true. I've talked to MAGICal Steve AKA @wdwmagic and he assures that it is very much a fair topic, but, apparently, there was some sort of ugliness and ''mudslinging'' on that thread and it disappeared. He hasn't said whether Marcia is working frantically to cleanse the cached version while baking some mean pies.:D

I always miss the fun, so feel free to drop me a note if you have any details on what went down and the parties responsible.

But I'll place the same point/question here (and invite those who have issues with the topic to look inward at themselves and what's really bothering them):

Here we are at the dawn of summer (weather has been summer-like pretty much since March in much of FL) and that is the time of year when park operators nationwide (from mom and pops to regional players to the Big Boys) show off new attractions and entertainment to entice Americans to visit over their vacations.

Here are some facts:

WDW is the No. 1 theme park destination.

WDW has four theme parks and two water parks.

TWDC, parent company to WDW Co, has had one quarter of record profits after another, year after year now.

OK, now a question (one that seems to get under the skin of so many of my fans, who worry daily about my BRAND when they should be worrying about Disney's):

What is new at WDW for the summer of 2015? ***And let's stick to theme parks, no one plans trips around new timeshares or remodeling of a lifestyle center/mall.

And, if anyone decides to go crazy on the topic, please report it immediately to the mods. They don't have an easy job and really don't need people causing trouble just for the helluva it.

Let's try this again.

I am sure any marketing magic, in regards to new offerings, will be geared towards the expansion of Soarin' and TSM. Not sure if those will be ready for 2015 or 2016 but they will sell it and people will buy it. At the end of the day it is more of the same.

Maybe they can find a vacant storefront at Disney Springs to park this until the Disney version opens? LOL http://www.slashfilm.com/traveling-avatar-exhibition/

WDW1974

Original Poster
Got a real laugh out of this piece of placed content in the NYT basically talking up Tom Staggs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/business/media/thomas-staggs-disneys-heir-apparently.html?_r=1

Rule one of writing a story that people don't question about Staggs: don't repeat anything about his dining habits, his looks (unless you are calling him an ''oddly waifish man with anemic personality''), midwestern values or ability to play musical instruments.

I did enjoy the KFC tidbit. That was designed to humanize him. Whether it has any truth or relevance really is another matter.

We all know that John Lasseter was a Jungle Cruise skipper, that Phil Holmes was a Mansion butler, and that George Kalogridis started his career bussing tables on the Grand Canyon Concourse. All that does is perpetuate a myth that these were ordinary folks who moved up thru hard work and grit.

BTW, if you want some real entertainment, read Brooks Barnes carefully crafted bio.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Got a real laugh out of this piece of placed content in the NYT basically talking up Tom Staggs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/business/media/thomas-staggs-disneys-heir-apparently.html?_r=1

Rule one of writing a story that people don't question about Staggs: don't repeat anything about his dining habits, looks (unless you are calling him an ''oddly waifish with anemic personality''), midwestern values or ability to play musical instruments.

I did enjoy the KFC tidbit. That was designed to humanize him. Whether it has any truth or reelevance really is another matter.

We all know that John Lasseter was a Jungle Cruise skipper, that Phil Holmes was a Mansion butler, and that George Kalogridis started his career bussing tables on the Grand Canyon Concourse. All that does is perpetuate a myth that these were ordinary folks who moved up thru hard work and grit.

BTW, if you want some real entertainment, read Brooks Barnes carefully crafted bio.
Any theory on the timing of the article? Staggs was promoted months ago.

PREMiERdrum

I don't know where but on one thread someone was pointing out Splash Mountain looking great now and all I could think was ''they didn't ride the attraction I did last week'' because after looking great for a while, it's almost back to its ghetto state.

Preach. The only attraction I noticed worse than Splash on our trip last week (when were you there? We could have rubbed elbows!) was CoP... Mistimed scene starts, no rain effect in scene 1, stage right scrim lighting in scene 2 never turned off so both sides of that rotating set were visible the entire scene, John in scene 3 barely moved, and 2 figures in scene 4 didn't move at all. The CM who I reported it too wasn't at all concerned.

With that said, iasw looked better than I've seen it in a decade. No missing dolls, all moving as they're supposed to, and the sets thoroughout looked brand new. It also looked to have some lighting adjustments since I've last ridden it. A lot of that "Blair flair" that was lost to flat lighting was again being highlighted.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As someone who has watched from the beginning, even though there were a few seasons that were not good, this was by far the worst episode of the entire series and a slap in the face. I know he wanted off the show and was reluctant to sign on for more seasons (which he did, 2 more) and to go and do that the way they did was just stupid. I wouldn't have had a problem if they had given him a proper send off like they did to Christina, but the way they did it was just awful. Even if you don't follow the show anymore, you should still watch this episode.

He actually didn't want off the show, hence signing the two-year contract. I think he and Shonda had some issues and she loves to use her power to simply kill characters when she has issues with talent. I loved the show when it started, even though it bumped Boston Legal to a different night.

But McDreamy and Meredith always deserved a happy ending, and to just kill him ... glad I gave up on the show years ago.

Kman101

Disappointed (but not surprised, sadly) to hear about Splash. It's never worked out for me to have taken a ride during my couple of visits over the last year so I wasn't able to see it after it's major refurb. Pirates ... Splash ...

Glad to hear at least IASW is functioning and in good shape. I think the lighting has been terrible. The queue is just not very inviting and the ride often feels dark.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Trader Sams gives great service. Then again, it is a hole in the wall and has limited attendance.

Trader Sam's also pours weak drinks (unlike its Anaheim cousin) and smaller ones. The Hippopotamaitai glass is a good 25-30% smaller here than at the DLH. Oh, and they don't fill it to the brim.

Of course, the Lifestylers aren't heavy drinkers and they only care about buying the damn glass, putting it on a shelf and taking a Twit Pic of it anyway!

WDW1974

Original Poster
The whole thread, from the first post, was instigating in nature.

It was very valid and posed a fair question. If people don't like what it implies, then they need to grow up.

No one is sadder than I am over the stagnation and neglect and, in some cases, outright destruction of WDW.

But I don't go into thread started when people return from what they felt were MAGICal vacations and tell them that they are wrong for enjoying the place or are just dumb rubes.

The post and the thread were absolutely instigating in nature. I was trying to instigate an open adult discussion regarding how WDW runs its business by showcasing yet another long, hot, humid summer in the swamps with absolutely nothing of substance opening.

If people have a problem with that, then let them take it up with Bob, Tom, Meg, Chapie and Georgie. Again, it's attacking the messenger because you don't like the message and you aren't mature enough to stay out (or simply discuss it in private ...)

Disneyhead'71

Trader Sam's also pours weak drinks (unlike its Anaheim cousin) and smaller ones. The Hippopotamaitai glass is a good 25-30% smaller here than at the DLH. Oh, and they don't fill it to the brim.

Of course, the Lifestylers aren't heavy drinkers and they only care about buying the damn glass, putting it on a shelf and taking a Twit Pic of it anyway!
To a Lifestyler, a strong drink is a scary as a big boy coaster. Only heathens partake in such craziness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom