A Spirited Perfect Ten

maxairmike

One of over nine hundred votes I believe. Or you know, 0.11% of the total.

All that attention or ignoring on the part of ESPN has absolutely no influence on the end result, then? None of the Heisman Trust voters watch ESPN and are influenced by what their (mostly idiotic and ratings driven) talking heads say. No, of course not. They certainly wouldn't be swayed by the pointless and not as uncommon as you might think misstated stats and anecdotes from the commentators they hear while watching the games.

No, ESPN has absolutely no influence on the result of that award beyond their "one vote."

jakeman

All that attention or ignoring on the part of ESPN has absolutely no influence on the end result, then? None of the Heisman Trust voters watch ESPN and are influenced by what their (mostly idiotic and ratings driven) talking heads say. No, of course not. They certainly wouldn't be swayed by the pointless and not as uncommon as you might think misstated stats and anecdotes from the commentators they hear while watching the games.

No, ESPN has absolutely no influence on the result of that award beyond their "one vote."
Eh, you guys seem to be heavily involved in the personalities portion of ESPN, so I'll leave it to you to pontificate on the SPECTRE like grasp ESPN has over the sports world.

I'll just keep tuning in to whatever channels are playing the teams I want to see.

maxairmike

Eh, you guys seem to be heavily involved in the personalities portion of ESPN, so I'll leave it to you to pontificate on the SPECTRE like grasp ESPN has over the sports world.

I'll just keep tuning in to whatever channels are playing the teams I want to see.

On the contrary. I make it a point to not watch anything on ESPN outside of the actual games at home, and try to avoid their halftime crap by finding another game that's still ongoing. I much prefer FS1 and BTN for the non-game reporting and content when I have reason to watch that (the sports board I frequent does a great job at aggregating all the info, and usually by avoiding ESPN content unless it's to make fun of ESPN). FS1 has some stinkers in the personality department as well (which bleeds over to the BTN to my dismay), but they're much better at the non-game content. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to escape non-game ESPN content when I'm not at home, so I still hear their idiots.

Mike S

Haven't seen this posted yet. Universal with potential plans to purchase 417 acre expansion area.
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ce=yahoo&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article
It's been discussed but this is new.
Mr. Miyamoto, for instance, is spending a lot of time, not only with his fellow developers, but also working with Universal Theme Parks to design the Nintendo experience that will evolve there.
http://time.com/4131306/nintendo-kimishima-interview/

Frankie The Beer

Out of those Candidates I would bet that only Christian McCaffrey is carrying a real academic load because Stanford is about academics not football.

Personally I think that most college athletes should be paid because they are there to play football not to earn a degree, and all the big conferences have 'special' academic programs for their Football/Basketballl programs.

I blame the NFL for this in that the 'draft' encourages players to leave college early for a spot in the NFL. If the player had to GRADUATE and/or wait till they would normally graduate perhaps education would be more emphasized than athletics.

I would also like to see whether that voting is a moving target.

Academics have very little to do with the Heisman voting. The best college player usually wins but that's debatable, especially among sports fans. As for the Navy QB, ESPN did the right thing. To try to put him in the conversation with Henry or Fournette or thinks he belongs in the conversation with them is amusing. Compare Navy's schedule and level of competition with that of LSU or Alamama and they are on two different spectra. Reynolds had a great year, but Heisman? You have to be kidding.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Academics have very little to do with the Heisman voting. The best college player usually wins but that's debatable, especially among sports fans. As for the Navy QB, ESPN did the right thing. To try to put him in the conversation with Henry or Fournette or thinks he belongs in the conversation with them is amusing. Compare Navy's schedule and level of competition with that of LSU or Alamama and they are on two different spectra. Reynolds had a great year, but Heisman? You have to be kidding.

You don't get it most so called 'college athletes' who are shooting for the NFL or NBA could not hold a entry level job because many of them are functionally illiterate. They have no business being anywhere NEAR a college campus. So let the colleges pay them to play sports and lets remove the BRAVO SIERRA that they are receiving a college education.

Only a few schools actually expect academic achievement from their athletes The Service Academies, Notre Dame and the Ivy's none of whom have 'big time' sports programs.

gmajew

Premium Member
You don't get it most so called 'college athletes' who are shooting for the NFL or NBA could not hold a entry level job because many of them are functionally illiterate. They have no business being anywhere NEAR a college campus. So let the colleges pay them to play sports and lets remove the BRAVO SIERRA that they are receiving a college education.

Only a few schools actually expect academic achievement from their athletes The Service Academies, Notre Dame and the Ivy's none of whom have 'big time' sports programs.

You really have to be one of the most pessimistic person I have ever seen. Nothing is ever good or moving in the right direction! Nothing... Now ESPN is rigging the Heisman vote?

http://heisman.com/sports/2014/9/15/GEN_0915140346.aspx

Sad man really you need to find something that makes you happy in life... :)

Frankie The Beer

Now this is about student athletes getting paid? I thought it was about ESPN influencing the Heisman vote by dropping a Navy quarterback who really hasn't played against top competition?

PhotoDave219

You really have to be one of the most pessimistic person I have ever seen. Nothing is ever good or moving in the right direction! Nothing... Now ESPN is rigging the Heisman vote?

http://heisman.com/sports/2014/9/15/GEN_0915140346.aspx

Sad man really you need to find something that makes you happy in life... :)

No no no no no no no no no......

Its a FAN vote that has zero bearing/impact/influence on the actual award.

PhotoDave219

Yes, the current ESPN/Heisman controversy is about the Nissan Fan Vote. DC Sports Bog coverage here.

And apparently the winner of this Fan vote actually does get One Actual, real live, Bona Fide Vote for the Heisman Award from the Sponsor Nissan.

From the Heisman Trust's page on their Balloting....

Each Section within the United States has 145 media votes, totaling 870 media votes across the country. Additionally every former Heisman winner, 58 presently, has a vote as well. In 1999, The Heisman Trophy agreed to develop a special program to allow the public at large to become part of the balloting process by permitting one (1) fan vote eligible in the overall tabulation. This program once again continues this year through a partnership with Nissan North America, bringing the total number of voters for the 2015 Heisman race to 929.

We're talking about one vote out of 929.

biggsd

No no no no no no no no no......

Its a FAN vote that has zero bearing/impact/influence on the actual award.

It does have a MINIMAL impact...the fan vote represents 1 vote of 600...and that player, on the basis of a write-in campaign and early lead, is likely to win that vote

NearTheEars

Typically the best
No worries.

It's kind of a ridiculous conversation to begin with…

Amen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom