A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Hatbox Ghostbuster

This. I don't get the complaints about Mary Poppins and the UK -- it's not a particularly good fit for an IP there and Brave (if that is indeed the choice) actually seems more reasonable to me.

If you are going to talk about an IP being "passed over" for the UK pavilion, it should start and end with Sword in the Stone, which is the perfect option for that pavilion.
While it's a perfect fit for the pavilion, it's also WAY outside the bounds of what current management want the pavilion to do, and that is sell merch. Ask any layperson walking around WS if they even know what SITS is about.

Furthermore, take one look across the park to FW and the soon to be GOTG attraction and tell me with a straight face that Disney is concerned about putting the correct IP in its correct place...

Bottom line, whatever IP gets infused into UK will be done to push merch and little else.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But its all about IMMERSION. If you're not walking down a dingy alley way, bumping into Tusken Raiders who spout gibberish at you...then why even bother??

Let me translate: He says he doesn't like you.

So when Frozen goes in Norway everyone is up in arms but they would be perfectly fine with Poppins, Alice and Pan, two of which only take place in the UK for a small part of the movie.

Alice takes place entirely in the UK. Wonderland is the UK's Upside-down.

bclane

I love the idea of being immersed in Star Wars. But it is true, I can not name three pleasant SW places I would like to stroll around in.

Then again, if SW is about an experience, about an unfolding of events rather than a static place, this aspect of creating unfolding experiences seems to be precisely what they are striving to provide in the hotel and Galaxy.
I think pretty much anywhere on Naboo would be pretty spectacular. Beautiful countryside, incredible royal city (shopping in Theed is rumored to be a very classy experience), epic scuba diving.... An underwater adventure ride set here would be pretty killer. Alderaan was wildly beautiful (before it went boom). I'd have liked to have gone skiing and hiking in the mountains there. Maybe a toboggan ride or a dodge the planetary debris simulator. Both Endor and Kashyyyk have them crazy awesome forests and I hear Wookiees throw even better parties than the Ewoks. A giant rave in a giant tree maybe? How about a swamp buggy ride set on Dagobah? The possibilities are endless. :)

WDWTank

While it's a perfect fit for the pavilion, it's also WAY outside the bounds of what current management want the pavilion to do, and that is sell merch. Ask any layperson walking around WS if they even know what SITS is about.

Furthermore, take one look across the park to FW and the soon to be GOTG attraction and tell me with a straight face that Disney is concerned about putting the correct IP in its correct place...

Bottom line, whatever IP gets infused into UK will be done to push merch and little else.
This will end when I'm 50... :)

Last edited:

bclane

Good point. I say they go with Moana then. I saw a Brittish person at the beach once so it sounds like a perfect fit to me!

yeti

So when Frozen goes in Norway everyone is up in arms but they would be perfectly fine with Poppins, Alice and Pan, two of which only take place in the UK for a small part of the movie.

Maybe because Poppins, Alice and Pan ARE (at least originally) British IP?

Disneyhead'71

They would make the licencing fee back in a heartbeat on Poppins Umbrellas alone.

Paying a licensing fee isn't a conspiracy brought by Satan regardless of what TDO says. It seems to be working well up the road. But Disney would rather cut their nose off their face on principal alone.

I watched Brave once. In the theater. I thought it was derivative and forgettable. And I'm Scottish and a "Bear".

*Q*

I prefer the approach they're taking.
With Harry Potter it made sense to build what they did because every book has the kid going back to his school.
With Star Wars, with few exceptions the movies were always exploring new locations.

After the horrible prequel movies I was sick to death of Tatooine.
I like the approach of creating a whole new planet, I just don't agree with setting it in the sequel era. That just seems like it's pure ego on Iger's part. I think from a business perspective it makes more sense to set it in the Empire era because that would sell more tickets and especially way more merchandise. As cool as Rey, Finn, and Poe are, I think people would generally get more excited about the idea of rides with Luke, Leia, and Han running around in them just because they're the iconic characters who've been around for forty years.

disneygeek90

They would make the licencing fee back in a heartbeat on Poppins Umbrellas alone.

Paying a licensing fee isn't a conspiracy brought by Satan regardless of what TDO says. It seems to be working well up the road. But Disney would rather cut their nose off their face on principal alone.

I watched Brave once. In the theater. I thought it was derivative and forgettable. And I'm Scottish and a "Bear".
I'm sure Disney is paying a licensing fee for Avatar, no?

Disneyhead'71

The UK Pavilion is representing all UK nations, not just Britain.
Emeryville, California is now a UK nation?

So I propose a Jungle Book ride in the UK Pavilion. India was a British Colony. And Runyard Kipling is British. (Nevermind that he lived in Vermont when he wrote it). But it is more thematically appropriate than Brave, which is a story from California.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

Emeryville, California is now a UK nation?

So I propose a Jungle Book ride in the UK Pavilion. When it was written India was a British Colony. And Runyard Kipling is British. And it is more thematically appropriate than Brave, which is a story from California. And it has historical context and artistic acclaim.
What are you referencing in regard to Emeryville CA?

njDizFan

Maybe because Poppins, Alice and Pan ARE (at least originally) British IP?

Quoting myself because this conversation is now in both threads
Of course nothing is confirmed but I always thought it would be Brave. How else can we have a princess in every pavilion. I don't love the film but I honestly think this IP has the most cultural relevance of any of the other choices. You can gleam at least a little hint of the society, architecture and culture of Scotland. Pan, Poppins, Alice are intertwined in English lore but place setting is secondary at best.

As far as Sword and Stone. I think that would be an even better fit, I personally have never even seen the movie but I can tell it is an Arthurian legend. So you don't really need a knowledge of the IP for it to work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom