1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Just think the NEXT SW film will be written by an algorithm to maximize its 'audience appeal' and minimize its financial risk.

Once again i'm reminded of Orwell's Versificator.

The_Jobu, njDizFan and HMF like this.
  2. StarBurst

StarBurst Well-Known Member

i keep hearing about this "other site"..
    im curious as to which one it is

3. bclane

bclane Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean. I was born in 69 and was definitely part of the OT generation and have been a Star Wars fan my entire life. But I don't get the hatred for the prequels or for any movie for that matter. They're just movies! Have fun with them or don't like them but why let anything bother you so much? I don't get it! I actually enjoy the prequels quite a bit even though I am definitely not a fan of Jar Jars. Others have pointed out that he comes across as a racist caricature and whether that is true or not, I don't believe at all that that was the intent for the character. I don't like him primarily because his nonsense steals screentime from the absolute coolness of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan so much). Sure, the acting is bad sometimes and some of the dialog is really silly, but there is also pure awesomeness to be found in those movies. Anyway, I always try and look for goodness in everything and try and be positive as much as possible. Sometimes it's harder than other times and I am not always successful...but I try. I think more and more folks from my generation are realizing it's OK to like the prequels and enjoy them for what they are. So at least there's that! :)

4. StarBurst

hey..how is it going with your recovery issues?..hope all is well

bclane likes this.
  5. bclane

bclane Well-Known Member

Does a bear...oh you know the rest.

Once you start down the lens flare path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

Aries1975 and ford91exploder like this.
  6. bclane

bclane Well-Known Member

Going well thanks! I've just been drying out carpets and repairing stucco. Considering how many people suffered so much worse damage than us, I really can't complain. :)

7. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

Word of the wise, see Fiends at least once, it is very funny!

Disneyhead'71 likes this.
  8. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

I can only wonder why she would do such a thing ;)
    Don't think of it that way. Think of it as crapping on bad movies. Nothing personal. I'm in your generation and prefer the originals. Guess you'll call me a "generation traitor" or something.

Also, since you're one that doesn't really like the way Disney does things and craps on them for it, you do realize you're doing the same basic thing for "this generations WDW," right?

Stophie, Ariel1986, WDW1974 and 9 others like this.
  9. bclane

bclane Well-Known Member

No that is another guy. The one that draws the most hate rhymes with Dom boreless.

TeriofTerror likes this.
  10. Nj4mwc

Nj4mwc Well-Known Member

I have been reading this site exclusively for a few years now, what I find great is every time my wife sees something on social media about the parks and tells me I always get to say don't you remember I told you about that months ago.

epcot82fan, MaximumEd, AEfx and 2 others like this.
  11. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Irma was fierce. Glad you're safe Spirit! I live about 20 minutes north of Vero Beach so we got some gusty winds up to about 90 that took down some limbs. Power went out Sunday night at 10:30 (never went out during Matthew, but there is a tree limb on a line near my street, otherwise it would have been back on yesterday) and is still out but generator is kicking, so can't complain. So many have it worse, I can survive a few days without power. Likely will be back on today though. The power guys working in my area are from Illinois. Most should have power according to FPL by Sunday so I applaud how they've been able to have a plan and be prepared for this (at this point, Florida should be more than prepared to deal with a hurricane!). So many whine about mundane things but people lost their homes, are dealing with flooding waters, etc.

I also don't understand the blogger who camped out at a deluxe resort for the hurricane (probably using a castmember friend's discount no doubt, but must be nice to pop for a couple nights at the Wilderness Lodge). Not judging, maybe it was safer for them but it caught my attention, as if they needed to be the first one to capture what happens at WDW when there's a hurricane (oh, look, Country Bears at Wilderness Lodge!). And to those who don't understand talking about the bloggers, well, they put themselves out there, and just like a celebrity, it opens them up to criticism. I see nothing wrong with discussing them. I don't think we need the name calling or things like that. And I've said my .02 on Clickbait Corless. He does come off like an overgrown manchild who whines when he can't get his way or acts superior and indignant when corrected. Guess being a talking piece on the local news goes to your head?

12. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

I prefer the original films as well. The prequels do nothing for me. They weren't great films so that's why they get made fun of and crapped on. We all have different tastes in movies so I don't get worked up over someone not caring for them. I'd rank Rogue One and Force Awakens above all three for a variety of reasons but others seem to hate these two films. Kind of is what it is.

Agreed on him doing what he's complaining about ... lol

13. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

I consider the first six Star Wars movies to be part of a larger whole. My favorite movie objectively is actually Empire Strikes Back. That being said it was actually Phantom Menace that made me a fan back in 1999. I have no problem with people having constructive opinions on Star Wars. It's just the overwhelming hostility certain fans and Disney's stewardship of the franchise to me feel like personal attacks. Much like what they are doing to Epcot right now.

14. StarBurst

original trilogy can never be replicated

15. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

No matter how much Abrams tries.

16. bclane

bclane Well-Known Member

I really like Rogue One as well. Ok, scratch that...I love it. I think someone was cutting onions in the theatre when K-2 died and that last scene with Vader literally took my breath away and I could name many more moments that were so freaking awesome about that movie...I just don't get the hate. Then again I pretty much like all things Star Wars. Any amount of time in that universe is a plus for me. I choose to ignore some of the weaknesses of the newer films and end up sounding like a Star Wars apologist a lot but I'm just so thankful that we get more. The OT will always be my favorite and that is partly I admit because it hit at the perfect time for me as a child. It was so much a part of who I was as a kid and still am as an adult. Plus, it literally changed movies and culture and I don't know that there will ever be anything like it again. How could there be? The OT movies are just fricken awesome. But to me, it's kind of like with Disney in general. While they can create rides like Mystic Manor, FoP (which I absolutely love) and the Shanghai Pirates that blow people away and are technically and creatively mind boggling ...there is just something about the original things that Uncle Walt did that can't be replicated. To me this is to some extent because of how they literally changed the world and unless you where around when these things originally dropped it is very difficult to comprehend why they are the big deal that they are....imho.

17. floridagirl57

floridagirl57 Member

I'm extremely curious what you like about BGT? I'm not saying its a bad park per say, but I went on a Saturday recently and I was struck by the lack of maintenance and professionalism of the staff. A lot of the park just looked....worn.

Goob likes this.
  18. Tahu

Tahu Well-Known Member

Empire's popularity is probably one of the biggest things holding the movie side of the franchise back. It's been put up on such a high pedestal that the entire franchise is stuck living under its shadow and anything that isn't like Empire (which is everything produced afterwards pre-buyout) gets immediately savaged as "Not Real Star Wars". Sometimes even ANH gets flack for not being ESB.

The Force Awakens wasn't just a reconfiguration of ANH, but one helmed by ESB fans (and the writer of ESB) that apes ESB about as much as ANH.

Kman101 and lazyboy97o like this.
  19. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

I do not expect the numbers that Paris put up in Q3 to be sustained in Q4. There was some special Disney magic puffing up those figures.

20. HatboxGhostbuster

HatboxGhostbuster Well-Known Member

I think we have to concede that any all future SW movies are going to be run through the Disney machine, i.e. heavily slanted towards merch sales and safe and predictable stories. I'm hoping VIII proves me wrong, but just look at how people are scooping up Porgs like there's no tomorrow. What the crud even is a Porg??? People don't know, but they know they need to own one. That's Disney marketing 101.

egg, HMF, WDW1974 and 2 others like this.