A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Herbie

I really love how the Tokyo Disneyland Bus transportations are designed compared to the ones at WDW and Disney Cruise Line.
dscf4901.jpg

PC052204.JPG
Wow, that's amazing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's what I've heard about TDL, it's ran right. I swear SEA is what happens when imagineering is given as much $ and is told to make something amazing. I want to see something other than WDW so I'm aiming for DL in the next year hopefully and then off to DLP at some point. I'm just tired of seeing WDW being neglected.

I am too, but now WDW is getting the attention of the Sheriff (who basically did nothing with WDW beyond New Fantasyland, which was more about replacing lost capacity than giving Guests and fans anything) for what should have been his entire tenure as CEO. And I think people may go with the safe and known with WDW. I do not advise doing this, but ...

And recall with TDS, Disney was using someone else's money. They will build you a $10 billion park tomorrow if they don't have to pay for it.

And understood. (Go ahead and laugh) I take the same stance on gaming. I don't reward bad practice and am extremely tight with my money, but donate and buy extras for good devs in the market...which there aren't a lot of anymore. The only reason why I want the merch is mainly due there not being much of it when UoE was "alive". At least from when I started going yearly in 97. But I can guarantee that I won't be buying any GotG crap. Tron on the other hand... you got me Disney.

I don't recall when Disney last had GMR or UoE merchandise. But I can't reward them for bad behavior.

brb1006

DLP was popular from the start. It immediately became the top tourist attraction in Europe upon opening. The popularity issues you are speaking of were related to cultural elitists, same people who didn't want McDonald's and Starbucks etc. But there were financial issues with Euro Disney immediately due to overbuilding of hotels and underspending of Guests as well as an economic downturn.

SDL has also been popular from the start. I said in the last thread and will repeat here that Disney lies -- lies a lot -- but I absolutely believe the attendance numbers the new park is pulling in. That said, it is very pricey to many of the Guests (the low ticket prices are based on American opinions as to what theme parks cost here ... SDL can't charge those prices), which results in people bringing in all sorts of food and people actually inside the park selling counterfeit Minnie ears and cheap ponchos.

But SDL has major capacity issues, which I intend to get into, and those won't improve for years. Toy Story Land is not an expansion. It is an originally intended build that was put off when the construction became so behind schedule. This is a park that needs two major E-Tickets with fairly high capacity and two more C-D Tickets in additions to TSL rides.

As to people knowing Disney characters, it really depends. Some who are truly middle or upper class do have knowledge of many characters. Others who may live 300 miles from Shanghai have no clue what a theme park really is (or how to behave in one, which is again something I intend to discuss).
I think another reason why Shanghai and Chinese guests are really starting to enjoy Shanghai Disney is because most of the amusement parks or "Theme Parks" look in a way not as interesting and even terrible. So most of the guests who visit Shanghai Disney aren't used to that amount of love,care, and amount of detail and soul the park has even if it does have it flaws.

That reminds me, have you heard about the Wanda Parks selling their hotels and theme parks despite claiming that they are better and want to crush Disney? I wonder if you might bring that up soon?

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Great to hear from you again @WDW1974 ! I heavily agree with the majority of things brought up, especially the hidden gem that is Once Upon a Time. Although, interested to hear your full thoughts about Tommorowland, considering its near absence from your "good list". Oh well, hope you were able to make it out to HKDL as well, one of my personal gems.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can't wait to hear Spirit's thoughts on the Tokyo version of the Pooh ride, and Dreamlights. I wonder if he also rode Ride and Go Seek? But especially Hunny Hunt, unlike the Pooh clones found at the various Disney Parks. Tokyo's actually made me feel like I'm in the Pooh Universe because of how convincing the AA's and ride design is.

Let's not get ahead. That's how these things bounce off the rails and soon we'll be talking about why the MSEP should come back to the MK and play another 30 years.

But rode both of those numerous times (and have done so in the past) and love them. Scary to think that Hunny Hunt was built in the 90s and that ride system still hasn't appeared at WDW yet.

brb1006

I am too, but now WDW is getting the attention of the Sheriff (who basically did nothing with WDW beyond New Fantasyland, which was more about replacing lost capacity than giving Guests and fans anything) for what should have been his entire tenure as CEO. And I think people may go with the safe and known with WDW. I do not advise doing this, but ...

And recall with TDS, Disney was using someone else's money. They will build you a $10 billion park tomorrow if they don't have to pay for it.

I don't recall when Disney last had GMR or UoE merchandise. But I can't reward them for bad behavior.
I remember during Disneyland Paris's 25th Anniversary the female president for Paris actually sounded more genuine and caring about the park. I forgot her name but she's one of those people that I wish actually ran the Parks and Resorts instead of Chappie. I think I remember seeing her give a speech on the park's 25th Anniversary ceremony.

Californian Elitist

So, SO happy to have you back here. When you get the chance, message me, please.

Your thoughts on Shanghai don't surprise me in the least. Looks very big and shiny, though obviously doesn't compare to the design and core of Disneyland and those that followed, specifically castle parks. Still, I'd like to visit someday.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think another reason why guests are really starting to enjoy Shanghai Disney is because most of the amusement parks or "Theme Parks" look in a way not as interesting and even terrible.

That reminds me, have you heard about the Wanda Parks selling their hotels and theme parks despite claiming that they are better and want to crush Disney? I wonder if you might bring that up soon?

There is chaos with Wanda right now, more of it having to do with foreign investment (like here with AMC Theaters etc.) There are some major Chinese players too beyond Wanda (they get the attention because Wang likes to talk) ... and they are building quality products like Ocean Kingdom.

Also, just because we come from a culture where Disney is a major part doesn't mean we should look down on people who don't. Again, this is where media penetration via a Disney Channel (like Michael Eisner demanded and Bob Iger couldn't deliver) and films with wide releases comes in to play.

brb1006

Great to hear from you again @WDW1974 ! I heavily agree with the majority of things brought up, especially the hidden gem that is Once Upon a Time. Although, interested to hear your full thoughts about Tommorowland, considering its near absence from your "good list". Oh well, hope you were able to make it out to HKDL as well, one of my personal gems.
I love Tokyo's Tommorowland mainly since it's the only park that still keeps the old entrance design for WDW (Even without the water coming out).

WDW1974

Original Poster

I have very mixed feelings on Tomorrowland. Love Tron and Buzz. Like the placement of the Jet Packs and the 'new' spin on a spinner. We never rode it because the lines were too long. Wanted to check out the SW Launch Bay (since SW is so important to TWDC moving forward) only to find out that they weren't opening it that day (likely speaks to its popularity or lack thereof). I am not a great fan of the look ... and the staircases, which get quite slippery in the rain (but if you break a leg, good luck getting $5 million from Disney as this isn't the USA!) It also takes a long walk to get over to it and then you have no berm whatsoever, so you see dining terraces of some of the DisneyTown restaurants. I don't really get what they were thinking, which speaks to the design and layout.

No, I wasn't able to get back out to HKDL on this trip. It wasn't a theme park trip it was a 40% theme parks and 60% cities and historical sites and museums kind of trip. I never intended to visit HK on this trip. I did intend to visit UNI in Osaka originally, but the old ball and chain put her foot down on my fanboi throat and ... yeah, that wasn't happening. I do think it was for the best. Only so much time you can spend in parks.

brb1006

Let's not get ahead. That's how these things bounce off the rails and soon we'll be talking about why the MSEP should come back to the MK and play another 30 years.

But rode both of those numerous times (and have done so in the past) and love them. Scary to think that Hunny Hunt was built in the 90s and that ride system still hasn't appeared at WDW yet.
My apologize, I'm just very eager about this.

EricsBiscuit

I love Tokyo's Tommorowland mainly since it's the only park that still keeps the old entrance design for WDW (Even without the water coming out).
I loved the design but it is very disjointed. A MI ride, buzz etc. fit much better in MK's TL than in TDL's. When I went this summer SM was closed but I understand why. Overall I loved TDR. I wish I saw more of the entertainment in TDS but I was busy eating potato churros and going on Sinbad over and over.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've been waiting to read your review of SDL's Pirates. I'm so glad it lives up to its reputation. The videos of it alone are astounding. I also love SDL's version of Peter Pan. Now that's one upgrade I would think WDW could manage. Will we ever see its like stateside...?

I don't watch videos until I experience things (or unless I know I won't ... I still refuse to watch a ride thru of Mystic Manor, for example, because I will be riding it within the next few years and don't want spoilers) ... you also can't tell how something feels from a video. Parks are visceral experiences.

I know of absolutely no plans to upgrade Pan in FL. I would have thought they would have done something when they added the expanded queue but ... nope. TDL's received significant upgrades in the last year too. Those two are easily the best out there ... and it isn't like Anaheim or Paris have lousy versions. Yet, the version in the swamps that always seems to have a 45 minute or more wait ... still creaks on like it's the 1970s.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I remember during Disneyland Paris's 25th Anniversary the female president for Paris actually sounded more genuine and caring about the park. I forgot her name but she's one of those people that I wish actually ran the Parks and Resorts instead of Chappie. I think I remember seeing her give a speech on the park's 25th Anniversary ceremony.

Catherine Powell has a background with media (was with the BBC for a while if I recall) and, therefore, is more savvy than the typical Disney parks head. I know very little about her personally, but wouldn't assume anything about her one way or the other. She is in no way equipped to run P&R at this point of her career.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hey @WDW1974 can you tell us what the heck is going on at DCA, including but not limited to Marvel Land? Is it being delayed and does the location keep moving around because of the eastern gateway project lagging? And Pixar Pier ??? :banghead:

Pixar Pier was a shock to me. Something I had heard about, but as a temporary overlay deal. No idea how that makes sense. As to the other things, I will tell you what I know when I get to the Expo talk and why you didn't hear any Marvel talk beyond a tease.

EricsBiscuit

I have very mixed feelings on Tomorrowland. Love Tron and Buzz. Like the placement of the Jet Packs and the 'new' spin on a spinner. We never rode it because the lines were too long. Wanted to check out the SW Launch Bay (since SW is so important to TWDC moving forward) only to find out that they weren't opening it that day (likely speaks to its popularity or lack thereof). I am not a great fan of the look ... and the staircases, which get quite slippery in the rain (but if you break a leg, good luck getting $5 million from Disney as this isn't the USA!) It also takes a long walk to get over to it and then you have no berm whatsoever, so you see dining terraces of some of the DisneyTown restaurants. I don't really get what they were thinking, which speaks to the design and layout.

No, I wasn't able to get back out to HKDL on this trip. It wasn't a theme park trip it was a 40% theme parks and 60% cities and historical sites and museums kind of trip. I never intended to visit HK on this trip. I did intend to visit UNI in Osaka originally, but the old ball and chain put her foot down on my fanboi throat and ... yeah, that wasn't happening. I do think it was for the best. Only so much time you can spend in parks.

When you went to Shanghai did you get to the water cities? We went and they were incredible and very eye opening (of how lucky and blessed we are in the Us).

I don't watch videos until I experience things (or unless I know I won't ... I still refuse to watch a ride thru of Mystic Manor, for example, because I will be riding it within the next few years and don't want spoilers) ... you also can't tell how something feels from a video. Parks are visceral experiences.

I know of absolutely no plans to upgrade Pan in FL. I would have thought they would have done something when they added the expanded queue but ... nope. TDL's received significant upgrades in the last year too. Those two are easily the best out there ... and it isn't like Anaheim or Paris have lousy versions. Yet, the version in the swamps that always seems to have a 45 minute or more wait ... still creaks on like it's the 1970s.

I was unimpressed by how small the Neverland scene was in Tokyo. I like the one in MK better because the Neverland scene is a full room and because London is 3D.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom