1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Aug 7, 2017.

1. bclane

bclane Well-Known Member

It is awesome that is for sure. Amazing cultural experience and a beautiful countryside too when you get out of the city. We were there for 5 weeks a few years back and barely scratched the surface of things to do. We even included Okinawa in the trip which is fantastic if you dive. Japan is definitely one of my favorite places to visit.

2. EricsBiscuit

EricsBiscuit Well-Known Member

What amazed me about Japan was how much greenery there is. I was expecting one giant city but it turns out that wasn't the case. Japan is an amazing country to visit!

3. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Yes, that is how it reads. Stay on topic or go elsewhere - please.

jakeman and jangirl like this.
  4. Soarin' Over Pgh

Soarin' Over Pgh Well-Known Member

Will y'all can it and let the man speak? How many times does the OP have to ask you to keep hen pecking discussions out before you listen? One hundred pages later? Two? Four? Cmon!

5. DisneyparkFreak

DisneyparkFreak Active Member

I would be okay with WDC charging for FP+ for non resort guests, but for resort guests and the costs of staying on property already too high, I think it needs to be included.

ford91exploder likes this.
  6. MaximumEd

MaximumEd Well-Known Member

@WDW1974 , you're leaving us hanging on the updates, man.

7. wannabeBelle

wannabeBelle Well-Known Member

I think Mrs. Spirit might want the Spirit to be able to have a weekend with her!! Hopefully the thread wont get too crazy before he returns!! Marie

8. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

Disagree.

If you're going to make day guests pay for it, make everybody pay for it. There are way too many hotel guests. This isn't Universal with five hotels...it's a Disney with twenty five hotels.

GlacierGlacier, Kman101 and Mike S like this.
  9. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Sorry, for the absence. Didn't mean to leave you hanging where you might have to discuss pizza or fight the UNI vs. DIS battle yet again or even read a book. Life called. I answered.

But I also realized something I've been tossing around. And that is I need a forum that I control where I can put content out at my pace and not have to come back to a disaster or worry that I might hurt a white supremacist's feelings etc. So, this will be my final Spirited thread here. I have a plan for a new project for where I can take my thoughts and get them out on a regular (by my life) time table. No, I am not leaving this site. But this 15th round will be the last. No Sweet 16 as cute as I look in my dress and heels. Much like people like Len Testa and Tom Bricker that have their own money-making enterprises, but still take part in this great and vibrant community, I'll do likewise. I just won't break news here for people to steal. I'll do it elsewhere and actually go after people if they decide they are breaking something two years after I did.

I didn't come to this decision easily. If I did, I would have made this move years ago. But I think you'll enjoy what will come this fall.

And with that, I will attempt to answer some posts and then move on to other subjects here. Won't leave y'all hanging.

Just want to say thanks for the 88% of you who have contributed positively, whether you agreed with me or not. The rest of you? I am sure you'll enjoy the threads started by my 'fans' here ... they always have so much of value to add!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  10. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

Aww man :(

Furiated, wendysmom, WDWTank and 7 others like this.
  11. WDW1974

First, since it is fresh in my mind as I had a long discussion with a friend about this subject earlier, I want to clarify my opinions on SDL overall.

I really enjoyed it. I will go back (but am in no hurry to do so). Has some amazing world class attractions. But the design isn't conducive to that MAGICal feeling you typically get in a castle park. As beautiful as this park is in many places and as detailed as it is in most, it is lacking something. I believe much of that comes from poor design choices.

I believe @lazyboy97o had a great post I read talking about the design issues and the objects in space reference. That is exactly what it feels like. Not having a berm and RR certainly add to this. Having a Fantasyland where much of the time you have a very tall painted fence on one side or empty grassy plots with picnic tables absolutely plays a large factor.

While I fully expect that Shendi will demand additions quickly, and they will likely give even more reasons to visit, I don't see how the park's feel will change. Much like WDSP or DCA or even DAK, certain fundamentals exist from Day 1 and can't be changed simply by adding more kewl stuff.

I can't say the park was better or worse than I expected because being "an insider" means I very much knew what to expect.

I'm glad I went. YMMV.

12. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

Sorry for the part I played...

13. WDW1974

Just a point, on news I broke here well over a year ago, maybe a few by now as I don't track myself like my 'fans' do ...but very soon there will be no value, moderate or deluxe categories at WDW resorts. The upscale amenities being added to some value and moderate resorts now should give that away if you don't believe me. If Disney's Skyliner can get you to pay $300 a night for Pop or $600 for CBR, you better believe that IS what you will pay.

The first step in charging for FP will very likely be a combination of what has been going on in Anaheim and Shanghai. But I want to get back to other topics.

14. WDW1974

It's amazing how Walt's words are actively used to destroy his Legacy by his own company and its alleged fans.

15. Jones14

Jones14 Well-Known Member

If you had to guess, how long do you think it will be before paid Fastpass is the only Fastpass?

WDWTank, Mike S and brb1006 like this.
  16. WDW1974

Yes, this is exactly how Walt is treated.

I know fanbois are wetting themselves over what is happening to his attraction at Disney's Third Gate IP MAGIC Park. But that attraction was largely about what Walt milestones accomplished in his life and the legacy his company built upon them.

Having a place to shove models and art for TSL and SW: GE has absolutely zero to do with Walt. Let's not kid ourselves.

17. WDW1974

Actually in two days in the parks and another around DisneyTown and the resort, I never saw a kid (or adult crapping anywhere). And it seems like everytime I stay at a WDW resort, the pool gets shut down because someone crapped in the pool (something I can honestly say in all my travels I have never seen elsewhere ... read into that whatever you like about WDW and the people it attracts).

I saw three little boys watering foliage when I was at SDL (all under 4) and in two of the cases I would have done the exact same thing if I had been a parent. There was literally no way to get the child out of line and to a toilet. The other time (in the queue for Crystal Grotto) was almost acceptable as well. As the wait time approached an hour and people have no idea how much longer they may have to wait, while little bladders can't. And the area this kid did his business reeked of urine, which tells me that this is a problem (last little room about 10 minutes before boarding).

Again, I have seen much more egregious behavior at WDW.

nevol, Corey P, Sam4D23 and 10 others like this.
  18. WDW1974

First, I know you have been negative about Tokyo's slow progress and even compare WDW favorably (something I absolutely don't share as TDR has never allowed parks to go stale and always is offering something new, even if it is entertainment or merchandise).

I am positive about it. OLC looked at what was feasible to get built and open before the 2020 Games and went in that direction. Some things were put off, some canceled and some scaled back. But the majority will still happen.

The only 'new' attraction for me at TDR was the Nemo Searider (second spoiler alert: I didn't enjoy it that much at all). But it was more than made up for by plussing of other attractions, new entertainment, etc. OLC will be spending a lot moving forward. Their product is not aimed at American, or in your case -- Canadian, fanbois with money who can travel and will. We are bonuses to their business. A business which is thriving and will continue to do so, unless a mad man (or two), decide to destroy the nation it exists in.

SDL's intermediate plans are murky. I have heard a few scenarios and am not sure which will be the blueprint. But that park is already in desperate need of capacity due to underbuilding and a poor opening menu with very few people-eaters. TSL will do absolutely nothing for the park, except give John Lasseter (who might be a bit out of control these days) a bulge.

19. WDW1974

Sadly, no.

This is just a revenue stream that Bob Iger and company (most especially Chappie) want to exploit. It is no different than having THREE Halloween Parties BEFORE Labor Day. Or starting Food and Wine in August. Just abject greed.

All you need to ask is what the capacity of whatever they call Disney-MGM will be when Toy Story and Star Wars are done and compare them with say 1990 and 1994 or so ... they need to make a stratified system where the ability to enjoy yourself at WDW is based upon how much you pay.

Very little difference from say UNI and HHNs where you can get in for as little as $50 (or could as a FL resident a few years ago), but really they want you to be spending $400 a night. I don't go to the event any more because I supported it when tickets were $19.99 at the AAA office. It actually was more fun in those days too!

20. WDW1974

Yes. Absolutely.

A day at HKDL can be relaxing and exhilarating at the same time. Unless you luck out, as some friends of mine did, with a cool, rainy fall or winter day, SDL is never going to be that empty. (Spirited Disclaimer: Halloween and Christmas bring crowds to HKDL, as do national holidays.)